Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.
"Strategic Action Combat" hah, I guess that's as good a term for "Souls Combat" as any. It's interesting to me how the gameplay of early PSX action RPGs, which was slow just by necessity, was actually turned into something really meaningful.

I'm wondering how much we should read into the apparent Souls connections. From Software kinda does do a lot of that; even the Armored Core games have Kings Field weapons in them and poo poo. Dark Souls 2 particularly was crazy full of things from old From Soft series.

BottledBodhisvata posted:

This almost looks like a survival horror game. It may not really be a "souls" like game in anything beyond a few aesthetic touches. For one, it seems you sort of have a set "look" and a set load-out too.

It's certainly too early to say for sure but that weird flip-saw/scythe thing certainly seems to be a core part of the gameplay. Maybe you have to finish enemies to kill them? Cut out their spines and then use their spinal fluid for upgrades or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Beard Yawn posted:

I do have to say that I'm actually happy it's not explicitly a Souls game. I absolutely love those games, but I'm excited to see From do something that's not tied at the waist to the Souls name.

I definitely agree. They have so much experience making 3D action-rpgs, these guys definitely have the talent to make a lot of different kinds of games. It'd be really sad to seem them pidgeonholed into just making one thing over and over. Part of what made Demon and Dark Souls great was that they did things that were so wild and new and crazy. I feel like a game that's very different is a more faithful successor in many ways.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

The Taint Reaper posted:

Hey I'd like a dark souls game that has monster hunter style bosses lurking around instead of every section of the world trying to kill you so you could explore without worry.

Maybe this will be that game.

From what I've seen of the Monster Hunter franchise, that style of game sure could benefit from not having the worst level design ever to be featured in a interactive video experience.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

The Taint Reaper posted:

My only issue with Monster Hutner's level design is that there's loading between areas when it's perfectly possible to have the world be entirely open.

None of the recent games have had narrow places with awful camera angles like the original.

Are they still largely made up of small, flat, vaguely round arenas connected to other small, flat, vaguely round arenas with several spokes around the edges?

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Boooooooooo

Especially considering how nice Dark Souls 2 looks running at 60fps.

Yeah but DS2 didn't even have ragdoll physics! If that's the kind of infernal bargain we have to strike to reach 60 FPS I'll hear no more of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Manatee Cannon posted:

Listening to Patrick Klepek talk about this game in the Giant Bomb stream makes it sound so loving good.

I've mostly just been checking this thread but he had a couple interesting snippets from the game that I hadn't heard, like you can use the gun at close range to open up the enemy for a critical attack, sorta like a parry, and that besides the dodge there's also some sort of dash move.

• Locked thread