Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zooey Dave Chapelle
Oct 27, 2013
I think Peggy landed in mud in that one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Romes
Jun 18, 2003

InFlames235 posted:

Glad to hear you had a good time and didn't die i hope to have a similar experience

You're not going to die... Especially if you go tandem. One thing I learned doing the 6 hour course before hand was that plane after plane of at least 15-20 ppl were going up ALL day, like every 20 minutes, and NO ONE died, etc. ONE person ALL day had to simply pull their reserve and it was a tandem instructor, which landed just fine. I literally saw hundreds of people jump without issue before I even went up on the plane, and that was just from the one day I was there (and they do it every drat day).

Like I said earlier, the odds of both of your independently packed shoots failing is like winning the lotto, in which case it's just your time to die. If you're going tandem you don't even have to worry about checking the shoot for issues, he'll do it for you.

InFlames235
Jan 13, 2004

LIKE THE WAVES IN THE OCEAN I WILL DIG IN YOUR FAT AND SEARCH FOR YOUR CLITORIS, BUT I WON'T SLAM WHALE

Romes posted:

You're not going to die... Especially if you go tandem. One thing I learned doing the 6 hour course before hand was that plane after plane of at least 15-20 ppl were going up ALL day, like every 20 minutes, and NO ONE died, etc. ONE person ALL day had to simply pull their reserve and it was a tandem instructor, which landed just fine. I literally saw hundreds of people jump without issue before I even went up on the plane, and that was just from the one day I was there (and they do it every drat day).

Like I said earlier, the odds of both of your independently packed shoots failing is like winning the lotto, in which case it's just your time to die. If you're going tandem you don't even have to worry about checking the shoot for issues, he'll do it for you.

Thanks bud! Makes me feel safer.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

InFlames235 posted:

You've done it before sloth bud?

Yea I did it with my dad for a birthday once. It's good poo poo and even my 56 year old dad enjoyed himself.

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
ALL ABOARD THE ISS POLOKONZERVA
Good luck dude!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxeCsC8LWHE

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Don't trust that guy he keeps calling chutes, shoots.

Also I hear that you don't even feel like you're falling cause you're falling so fast the wind feels like a floor
C/d?

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye
Well, you still know you're falling because of all the air whipping by you. And then you go out initially you can feel a rush of terror.

I almost want to post my Youtube video of when I did this back in 2000 for the first time but then I'd have goons like filling in spreadsheets about me.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
are you going to finger a fat bitch while in free fall

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye
You really should pay the extra $$$$ to get it recorded, though. It was totally worth it to be able to whip it out later and laugh at how young/awkward/nervous you were for your first jump.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Captain Candiru posted:

Well, you still know you're falling because of all the air whipping by you. And then you go out initially you can feel a rush of terror.

I almost want to post my Youtube video of when I did this back in 2000 for the first time but then I'd have goons like filling in spreadsheets about me.

1 lol if you think that will happen
2 lol if you give a poo poo what goons think about you

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye

Robo Reagan posted:

1 lol if you think that will happen
2 lol if you give a poo poo what goons think about you

Creepy goon stalking is a pretty regular occurrence no matter how cool you are and I'm pretty much a legend. Just imagine Barfgoon.jpg guy doing a tandem dive 14 years ago. What the gently caress would you know about it, anyway.

Also just be careful who you show the video to because it really backfired when I brought the tape to a girl I liked to show it off. She popped it in and her dad was there watching it with us and it turned out that he had been injured severely while skydiving so he hated me from that point on.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Captain Candiru posted:

I'm pretty much a legend.

lol

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

lol if you don't know who Captain Candiru is

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye
Here's my favorite moment from my dive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFLrsO4cehE&t=34s

InFlames235
Jan 13, 2004

LIKE THE WAVES IN THE OCEAN I WILL DIG IN YOUR FAT AND SEARCH FOR YOUR CLITORIS, BUT I WON'T SLAM WHALE

Captain Candiru posted:

Creepy goon stalking is a pretty regular occurrence no matter how cool you are and I'm pretty much a legend. Just imagine Barfgoon.jpg guy doing a tandem dive 14 years ago. What the gently caress would you know about it, anyway.

Also just be careful who you show the video to because it really backfired when I brought the tape to a girl I liked to show it off. She popped it in and her dad was there watching it with us and it turned out that he had been injured severely while skydiving so he hated me from that point on.

How'd he get injured? Was he solo?

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye
I tried not to bring it up or ask questions. I think he hit a tree or a pole or something and it caused permanent damage to his back.

And yeah, it probably was solo. I don't think tandems became commonplace until the 90s or so, and he always seemed pretty old for a dad.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

When you're hanging out the door with your legs under the plane you might poo poo yourself. But when you actually jump out and get hit by the wind outside the plane, it's is one of the most ego destroying things you can do.

Enjoy! :)

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW
Remember it is bad luck to pack your chute yourself. Get someone else to do it for you just to be safe.

Hobohemian fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Jun 11, 2014

Nita
Apr 27, 2008
How many parachutes does a goon need to safely get to the gound? We're about to find out!

redstormpopcorn
Jun 10, 2007
Aurora Master

toggle posted:

When you're hanging out the door with your legs under the plane you might poo poo yourself. But when you actually jump out and get hit by the wind outside the plane, it's is one of the most ego destroying things you can do.

Enjoy! :)

so skydive on shrooms, got it.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011

redstormpopcorn posted:

Take a hit of acid before you go

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

redstormpopcorn posted:

you ain't poo poo when you're free falling from 15,000 feet duder :shrug:

Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW
chug a whole forty on the way down op

redstormpopcorn
Jun 10, 2007
Aurora Master

toggle posted:

you ain't poo poo when you're free falling from 15,000 feet duder :shrug:

Nobody ain't poo poo anyway in the cosmic sense, we're already falling from 490,828,800,000 feet into the sun. That's like the cumulative height of every human who has ever lived. The Universe doesn't care about us, and that's awesome.

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit
I did an 18000 ft tandem here http://www.skydivemontereybay.com/ a few years ago.

It was fun, but there are rollercoasters with more thrills and don't cost $259, so I don't think I'll ever do it again.

Baxter
Sep 13, 2000
I did the full-day training and my first jump was a solo jump. Two instructors jump with you, but you're not attached to them at all and pull your own cord. Free-fall was noisier than I expected, with the wind, but after you pull the cord and you're just out there slowly moving towards the landing area it's really very peaceful.

The part I didn't like was the slow flight up to the jump altitude in a small, kind of beat-up airplane. You're all packed in pretty close, and that's the part that got me a little uneasy. Once I got to the door and it was time to jump, I was ready to go.

The best advice was one of the trainers telling my to make good and goddamn sure my balls were completely clear of the harness straps. It's a pretty good jolt when the chute deploys.

I'm glad I did it and I got some great pictures/video, but I don't feel compelled to do it again. I thought I would.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

InFlames235 posted:

Whoah whoah someone's not getting my plat if I splat.

how the gently caress else would you die? trip into the plane and crack your skull?

anyway go naked in a pagan sky ritual
you get to gently caress your instructor this way do it

Robo Reagan posted:

are you going to finger a fat bitch while in free fall

yeaaaaah

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdaM5Mv-TTo

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Stoic Commie posted:

dont rip the cord till it's empty

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

sky diving is boring. don't go sky diving, it's hundreds of bucks for hours of sitting around waiting for a 3 minute small talk conversation with a man who is strapped to your rear end.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Stoic Commie posted:

when you land spike that motherfucker like nobody spiked it before then scream "20,000 foot! BITCH!"
then unhook yourself from the other guy's torso

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011
had a dude at my dz literally fly into the wind pole

nailed his nuts on it loving :lol:

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit

Real hurthling! posted:

sky diving is boring. don't go sky diving, it's hundreds of bucks for hours of sitting around waiting for a 3 minute small talk conversation with a man who is strapped to your rear end.

Pretty much this. Everyone there tries to hype it up and get you super excited while they try to get some video of you for promos. I guess it's cool I can say I did it to impress everyone that's scared to try.

There are a lot of people that really enjoy it though and maybe some of you will.

Baxter
Sep 13, 2000
My flight was the last one up that day, and by the time I landed and lugged my poo poo over to the hangar, and put on my regular clothes, the instructors and pilots were all hanging out at some picnic tables next to the hangar drinking beer.

The guys who jump with you also sit down with you afterwords and go over what you did right and wrong. I could tell they wanted to go drink instead of giving their 100th review of the day, so I offered to split the cost of a case of beer with one of the guys and go hang out. We went and bought it, and I just listened while they talked about who had hosed up and other random things from the day. The beer kept flowing and the group moved off of the airport property and over to an RV-camp where they were all set up with trailers and campers.

By the end, half the guys were pretty shitfaced and they were all telling jump stories. Some of the stories were genuinely pretty remarkable, and it was more interesting in many ways than the actual jump.

So fly last and buy beer, I guess.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

redstormpopcorn posted:

Nobody ain't poo poo anyway in the cosmic sense, we're already falling from 490,828,800,000 feet into the sun. That's like the cumulative height of every human who has ever lived. The Universe doesn't care about us, and that's awesome.

yessss that's my sssshit :respek:

Topographic Nap
Apr 22, 2007

do the one where you strap a dude to your rear end and then claim its not gay and that you had to do it

InFlames235
Jan 13, 2004

SpicyMeatSandwich posted:

do the one where you strap a dude to your rear end and then claim its not gay and that you had to do it

That's the one I'm doing no homo

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
ask him about skindiving

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
http://www.wjla.com/articles/2014/06/george-h-w-bush-to-mark-90th-birthday-by-jumping-out-of-helicopter-thursday-104050.html

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
ahaha bush is a crippled dead guy now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kombotron
Aug 11, 2011

InFlames235 posted:

Going where no goon has gone before: away from my couch.

Booked a couple weeks from now wish me luck goons pls. If I die then coolest person in this thread gets my plat transferred to them upon death if that's possible even I dunno

its ok to skydive.

quite boring in many ways.

• Locked thread