Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

PrBacterio posted:

What they've shown so far looks good, but unless they expand hugely on that it'll only end in disappointment :ohdear:

2015. That's a lot of time to add modes and stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

Spectacle Rock posted:

Well, E3 has come to a close. I just had to share this picture. I think it sums up my feelings towards Nintendo and I'd make the same kind of happy pose if I was standing there as well :)

Click to make larger.

Look at all this happy kid poo poo. :kimchi:

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Mario Maker sounds like a really cool idea but I'm really worried about 90% of the levels being Kaizo-esque bullshit precision point jumps.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

ChaosArgate posted:

Mario Maker sounds like a really cool idea but I'm really worried about 90% of the levels being Kaizo-esque bullshit precision point jumps.

I think the takeaway from E3 was "If it's too hard, move yourself past the point where you're stuck or edit the level to make it fair."

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Chronojam posted:

I think the takeaway from E3 was "If it's too hard, move yourself past the point where you're stuck or edit the level to make it fair."

Well I mean I understand that, but my qualm is that I shouldn't have to do that for the majority of the levels I see online.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

ChaosArgate posted:

Itd be easy to have a rating system for levels, one for how good it is and another for how hard. Itll be easy to find normal levels vs. Bullshit ones

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

PrBacterio posted:

I gotta be honest here, both Mario Maker and Splatoon are games that have huge potential to be awesome but that, at the same time, I'm awfully worried about. What they've shown so far looks good, but unless they expand hugely on that it'll only end in disappointment :ohdear: Splatoon, in particular, will need a lot of variety in level design and setting, character looks/customisation (while the basic character design looks great, they all look kinda same-ish to me), game modes, weapons, and so on. It needs like, night time and underground levels with neon glow-in-the-dark paint, a variety of game modes (like for example, a domination or ctf mode where you have to/can prevent your opponents from reaching objectives/flags by blocking their path with your own colour ink), customisation and styling options to individualize your character.
I think they said there'll be accessories like hats and stuff.

Now if only they'd sync StreetPass with Wii U to transfer the Mii hats from there and use in games :argh:

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

japtor posted:

I think they said there'll be accessories like hats and stuff.

Now if only they'd sync StreetPass with Wii U to transfer the Mii hats from there and use in games :argh:

I always thought they dropped the ball on using Hats as a quasi achievement system for the 3DS and Wii U. Things like 100%ing Super Mario 3D World would give you a hat that you can then put on your Mii in Mario Kart 8, or Smash Brothers. Rathe than just have a save file with 5 shiny stars next to it, now you can take it into other games for bragging rights.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Bobnumerotres posted:

Itd be easy to have a rating system for levels, one for how good it is and another for how hard. Itll be easy to find normal levels vs. Bullshit ones
Pushmo World will let players share levels over Miiverse and it has a custom level browsing hub in the game, and I'm betting Nintendo is going to use what they learn from Pushmo World when it's time to do Mario Maker's community features.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

ChaosArgate posted:

Well I mean I understand that, but my qualm is that I shouldn't have to do that for the majority of the levels I see online.

It'll depend entirely on the userbase, and how the online content is arranged, really. it could be that people can categorize their courses so you can select from "rear end in a top hat Mario" or "Standard platformer" or "Creative and Strange" or something, maybe have a tag system.

If it ends up just being top rated courses, then the ones that'll be at the top are inside jokes with Mario levels shaped like a Portal cake and the Kaizo stuff.

I wonder how many people will banned for making courses with lines of flying paratroopas in the shape of a penis.

Sonel
Sep 14, 2007
Lipstick Apathy

PrBacterio posted:

On the other hand, I don't understand the Giantbomb (for example) guys' resistance to the idea of gyro controls. If it works like it did in WWHD, it seems like that would be the perfect control scheme for a game like this on a console.
In one of the streams they mentioned that you can customize them and not use gyro controls. Also that their still working on maps so hopefully we see some good ones when the game is released.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Sonel posted:

In one of the streams they mentioned that you can customize them and not use gyro controls. Also that their still working on maps so hopefully we see some good ones when the game is released.

I will laugh at the people who turn it off and get their assess kicked constantly by people using gyro because aiming with an analog stick is poo poo, and the babies who stubbornly think it's fine whine a lot when you point that out. The devs even said if you do that you'll be terrible.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

PrBacterio posted:

I gotta be honest here, both Mario Maker and Splatoon are games that have huge potential to be awesome but that, at the same time, I'm awfully worried about. What they've shown so far looks good, but unless they expand hugely on that it'll only end in disappointment :ohdear:

They've already said they're going to be adding more stuff to the final release for Mario Maker.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Level Slide posted:

And also every video featuring the Splatoon devs. Especially the one where they bust out gang signs after kicking the Treehouse crew's rear end.

This sounds wonderful, mind linking it?

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Kyte posted:

Seconded, I need to see this poo poo.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

Kyte posted:

Zoran posted:

Seconded, I need to see this poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XG-Uu42YmMM

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Oh man that's just precious. :allears:

And the dev team really had the strategy down pat.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

ChaosArgate posted:

The standard practice for games like this is "If you want to post it, you have to beat it yourself first." I suspect Mario Maker will have a similar rule, which seems fair to me.

SloppyDoughnuts
Apr 9, 2010

I set fire to the rain watched it pour as I touched your face
Splatoon seems fun and all, but I haven't heard them say anything like "we're adding more" or anything which makes me really worried. If this is the entire game then it better be a downloadable title because I'm not spending 60 bucks on online multiplayer.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

SloppyDoughnuts posted:

Splatoon seems fun and all, but I haven't heard them say anything like "we're adding more" or anything which makes me really worried. If this is the entire game then it better be a downloadable title because I'm not spending 60 bucks on online multiplayer.

It's a demo for a game that's a year from release. Of course the final product will have more modes, maps, etc. Come on. :rolleyes:

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

SloppyDoughnuts posted:

They have, indeed, talked about other maps and poo poo.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

SloppyDoughnuts posted:

It has me worried oh wait, not really.

SloppyDoughnuts
Apr 9, 2010

I set fire to the rain watched it pour as I touched your face

Pomp posted:

They have, indeed, talked about other maps and poo poo.

I don't mean maps. I meant like game modes or things. I haven't heard them say anything about that, not even a "we'll see".

Francis
Jul 23, 2007

Thanks for the input, Jeff.

SloppyDoughnuts posted:

I don't mean maps. I meant like game modes or things. I haven't heard them say anything about that, not even a "we'll see".

I'm not trying to get on your case because it was buried in like ten hours of streamed coverage, but they did. They talked about all of that. Maps, game modes, single-player, character customization, other weapons, and so on. They talked in detail about how they're working on a KotH mode on a very vertical tower map that relies on the ability to climb painted walls as a squid. It's all earlier in development and speculative, but they are actively working on including more and different content in the game.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I hope there will be some kind of single player component the mechanics seem like they'd make a good puzzle shooter ala Portal.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
An this is why some companies only reveal CG trailers instead I gameplay. Even on the Splatoon trailer they showed off different paint weapons/tools

The Crusher
Aug 13, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE NEKOMIMI CLIFFYB
I know it probably wouldn't evolve into such, but it'd be rad if Splatoon's single player was a fleshed out platformer that could stand alone, like Mario Sunshine. Traversing a unique squidworld by splattering a path up walls to perform platformer puzzles would be a lot of fun.

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem

The Crusher posted:

I know it probably wouldn't evolve into such, but it'd be rad if Splatoon's single player was a fleshed out platformer that could stand alone, like Mario Sunshine. Traversing a unique squidworld by splattering a path up walls to perform platformer puzzles would be a lot of fun.

I think you mean "splatformer".

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The Crusher posted:

Yeah, this would be really cool. If they had a solid and actually build puzzle or platformer or combo 1P mode to flesh out the 8 player online stuff (which they also should flesh out), this will be their most successful game since NES's Sliced Bread.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
If I could have anything, Splatoon's single-player campaign would literally just be De Blob with a gun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I can't wait until there's a Goon Splatoon Platoon.

• Locked thread