Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chris Awful
Oct 2, 2005

Tell your friends they don't have to be scared or hungry anymore comrades.
Good news everyone: if the robots steal all our jobs then true communism is possible. It will pretty much be like the human dystopia in Wall-E. Instead of giving the poors money, government will have robots grow, harvest and ship food, clothes, and other needs directly to the poors. The poors won't even have to feed or dress themselves. The future is going to be awesome!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

gay cummunism

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
lol as if we wont devolve into robot ancap and need to develop street sweeper bots to clear the gutters of lumpen corpses

a creepy colon
Oct 28, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
what if we had communism but in space LOL >.<

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
robot sex work industry

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

paranoid randroid posted:

lol as if we wont devolve into robot ancap and need to develop street sweeper bots to clear the gutters of lumpen corpses

we already have food over-abundance and people starve anyway. robot abundance wouldn't matter because no one would have the money to pay for the infinite robot commodities. thered be no profit so artificial scarcity would be the reality. this is how capitalism actually functions now, and how it will function in the future

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
i dream of a future where robots buy more robots using the wealth generated by HFT machines on the new jersey border passing imaginary money back and forth 10,000 times a second.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
gas thread, ban op.

gently caress off lf posters

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

powerful weedlock posted:

gas thread, ban op.

gently caress off lf posters

kill you're self

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

condommunism sounds like a great idea but ruins everything in practice

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax
when robots take over the majority production of commodities there will be so few people receiving wages that nobody will be able to buy those commodities in the first place. the economy will collapse cementing the country as a captive society where the majority are helpless wards of the state who receive an allowance to keep the failed system going

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

butplug accident posted:

when robots take over the majority production of commodities there will be so few people receiving wages that nobody will be able to buy those commodities in the first place. the economy will collapse cementing the country as a captive society where the majority are helpless wards of the state who receive an allowance to keep the failed system going

this is basically the premise of vonnegut's book player piano

MS Paint
Sep 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I would like to point something out:

I liked Wall-E. Great movie.

Here is where it all fell apart: No motherfucker would stay on those ships or even on earth the moment there was warp-drive. The Profit-motive of a capatalistic economy would take over. The ship hyper-drives back to earth from the other side of the goddamn galaxy in like, half a minute.

If earth figured that poo poo out, you better believe that we would be sticking our cock into every planet galaxy wide for nothing other than the sheer satisfaction of it.

I liked what they tried to do, but a ship slow-boating to earth, full of corpses arriving at a dead planet would have been a better ending. Skeletons piled against the exit doors with small scratches in the advanced armor plating.

The last skeletons alive (the ones with the densest bones) scratched out "we lived".

Wall-E sits there, broken, waiting for spare parts. Eve waiting, impatiently, as the ship approaches earth for a half-millennia. She exits the corpse-mess only to find the dead world, with her dead friends.

I think that would have been a better ending.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Rhonyn Peacemaker posted:

Here is where it all fell apart: No motherfucker would stay on those ships or even on earth the moment there was warp-drive. The Profit-motive of a capatalistic economy would take over. The ship hyper-drives back to earth from the other side of the goddamn galaxy in like, half a minute.

If earth figured that poo poo out, you better believe that we would be sticking our cock into every planet galaxy wide for nothing other than the sheer satisfaction of it.

I liked what they tried to do, but a ship slow-boating to earth, full of corpses arriving at a dead planet would have been a better ending. Skeletons piled against the exit doors with small scratches in the advanced armor plating.

The last skeletons alive (the ones with the densest bones) scratched out "we lived".

Wall-E sits there, broken, waiting for spare parts. Eve waiting, impatiently, as the ship approaches earth for a half-millennia. She exits the corpse-mess only to find the dead world, with her dead friends.

it was a parable and the point was to critique consumer culture using a cartoon robot as the protagonist hth

was your suspension of disbelief ruined before or after you realized this was a 3d animated film made by the same company that brought you toy story

Carol Pizzamom
Jul 13, 2006

a bear you feed is a bear and a steed
The best thing to get at subway is the Subway Melt. Subway isn't very good but a subway melt is at least passable if you have to go there.

Carol Pizzamom
Jul 13, 2006

They'd be happier as skeletons. Everyone likes being a skeleton. Once you get over the spook

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax

THS posted:

this is basically the premise of vonnegut's book player piano

i think a certain karl marx came up with that idea

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
"i swear officer, shebot told me she was ATI compatible!"

MS Paint
Sep 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

THS posted:

it was a parable and the point was to critique consumer culture using a cartoon robot as the protagonist hth

was your suspension of disbelief ruined before or after you realized this was a 3d animated film made by the same company that brought you toy story

My suspension of disbelief was maintained until they hit hyperdrive.

At that point I realized the technological level of humanity had progressed before they left earth, not after.

Also, consumer culture wasn't the problem. It was indicative of bad storytelling. A capitalist market rewards companies to deal with the environmental problems because the citizens will demand it. As we see today, the green movement is rewarding companies with higher profit margins for providing environmentally sound products.

There is no reason to abstain from technology (a clear subtext of the movie) or consumerism (another clear point), as those two alone would weaken our country. We need to be aware of what movies, especially poorly written ones, will do to the easily molded minds of our kids.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
I'd rather use human workers until robots are programmed to feel shame and fear me. Not to mention i would still hire human females until the robot females are lifelike enough for me to bend them over a desk.

whats the point of being a rich busniess owner if people don't fear or suck up to you?

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
what the gently caress is wrong with you, rhonyn peacemaker. where in your brain are you broken?

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Fandyien posted:

what the gently caress is wrong with you, rhonyn peacemaker. where in your brain are you broken?

i started typing a response to that but i cant even understand what level hes operating on. like thats a lot of effort for a gimmick

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

THS posted:

i started typing a response to that but i cant even understand what level hes operating on. like thats a lot of effort for a gimmick

i don't think its a gimmick, nobody would be clever enough to come up with poo poo like talking about his fat wife's dirty vagina for like ten pages in the gay jihad thread

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

As we see today, the green movement is rewarding companies with higher profit margins for providing environmentally sound products.

lol

MS Paint
Sep 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Fandyien posted:

i don't think its a gimmick, nobody would be clever enough to come up with poo poo like talking about his fat wife's dirty vagina for like ten pages in the gay jihad thread

I'm sorry your loneliness and self-disgust is being projected onto me.

I don't recall talking about anything other than :siren: My Wife :siren: with no adjectives attached.

I hope this doesn't effect your ability to realize the necessary aspects of capitalism and why movies like this and "The Lorax" are really just crimes against our childrens' education.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

a discrepancy in your gimmick posting :ohdear:

MS Paint
Sep 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

THS posted:

a discrepancy in your gimmick posting :ohdear:

It was a great movie. That is why I said it up front. But unfortunately, the suspension of disbelief, and the subsequent loss of faith in the message of the movie bothered me.

The love story between two robots was very cute and wonderful. Too bad Wall-E wasn't built for pleasure, only speed.

Roy
Sep 24, 2007

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

I'd rather use human workers until robots are programmed to feel shame and fear me. Not to mention i would still hire human females until the robot females are lifelike enough for me to bend them over a desk.

whats the point of being a rich busniess owner if people don't fear or suck up to you?

I have this product idea. Basically you install an app that makes your computer slow at random times when loading stuff. Then you have this whip with a sensor at the tip of the rope. When you whip your computer, it screams and speeds up.

Carol Pizzamom
Jul 13, 2006

A capitalist market rewards companies to deal with the environmental problems because the citizens will demand it. As we see today, the green movement is rewarding companies with higher profit margins for providing environmentally sound products.

While I think that movie was preachy (but cute), this post is the funniest thing

Carol Pizzamom
Jul 13, 2006

Companies: Oh we'll be subsidized and get a ton of marketing and some goodwill on our sheets for being 'green'? Ok, we'll pretend to be green and pay off some officials. The system twerks

Carol Pizzamom
Jul 13, 2006

Guys this hybrid car that costs more in fossil fuels to produce over a small sedan then it'll ever save on gas is another examp

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

I'm sorry your loneliness and self-disgust is being projected onto me.

I don't recall talking about anything other than :siren: My Wife :siren: with no adjectives attached.

I hope this doesn't effect your ability to realize the necessary aspects of capitalism and why movies like this and "The Lorax" are really just crimes against our childrens' education.

you are a retard

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
how did you use this thread tag

MS Paint
Sep 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Concerned Citizen posted:

how did you use this thread tag

You can use them now obviously.

Dr. Furious
Jan 11, 2001
KELVIN
My bot don't know nuthin' 'bout no KELVIN

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
Why would the people who own the robots give the stuff they make away for free

Erotic Thomas
Apr 22, 2010

Carol Pizzamom posted:

Guys this hybrid car that costs more in fossil fuels to produce over a small sedan then it'll ever save on gas is another examp

is this true I'm not sure I trust this guy

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
can't wait until replicators are a thing in like 300 years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

Arian_Samurai posted:

Why would the people who own the robots give the stuff they make away for free

More importantly, why would they give a poo poo about keeping society going? The rich think they're blessed by God and that even if society collapses He'll protect and provide for them because they're His chosen people

• Locked thread