Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

keep that in mind for the next session :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
I meant to post this yesterday but I forgot :shobon:

Update 04 - Gone Rogue

(32:33) USS 4: Dissention|YouTube|Polsy

~The city has gone dark and survivors are isolated. Raccoon City has been reduced to a B.O.W testing ground and Wolfpack are told to get Umbrella's prized creature - the Nemesis - back under control and into the action.

The team descends further into madness, but Beltway arrives on a golden leg and keeps things (mostly) calm. We're actually getting closer to where this game intersects with established canon, the last three chapters of the USS are where we encounter Leon and co.

Lunethex fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jul 4, 2014

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Umbrella has a facility actually called "the Dead Factory". That is amazingly believable, given the company's history.

Less believable is the fact that cutting Raccoon City's power grid didn't cut the power to the Umbrella facility because it has its own separate power source. That is some bullshit right there.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Possibly. During the Spec Ops campaign the Echo Six team finds out about the lab because of electrical plans in city hall, though whether it's a moot point I'm unsure.

heenato
Oct 26, 2010

We wish to communicate with you!
It would have to, really. I mean, there's the problem of where it would be, and how the hell they could cover it up, but would YOU want the deadly experiments getting out every time there's a large storm?

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

AradoBalanga posted:

Umbrella has a facility actually called "the Dead Factory". That is amazingly believable, given the company's history.

Less believable is the fact that cutting Raccoon City's power grid didn't cut the power to the Umbrella facility because it has its own separate power source. That is some bullshit right there.

How else are they supposed to power their self-destruct systems?

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

How else are they supposed to power their self-destruct systems?

Or all those puzzles and keycard sliders.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
Honestly, I'm going to say the thing I hate the absolute most about the Nemesis appearance in this game, aside from the fact they put a Nemesis appearance in THIS game, is the "STARS!" line. The way it's delivered sounds more like it should be coming from an rear end in a top hat like Krauser, not the big rumbly-voiced motherfucker who chased you through all of RE3 like you owed him money. They could've added a couple filters to the voice to make it sound rougher.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
Looking good there Beltway :v:

This didn't get caught on camera, but at around 9:40 my gun randomly vanished and I couldn't fire. I was too busy being confused to think about making sure it got noticed by Lunethex.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

McTimmy posted:

Looking good there Beltway :v:

This didn't get caught on camera, but at around 9:40 my gun randomly vanished and I couldn't fire. I was too busy being confused to think about making sure it got noticed by Lunethex.

Things get worse as the USS campaign draws to a close. Much worse.

Anywho, since there was forums downtime I'm going to post this one early, and by this Friday I'll have the USS campaign all done. I'm still not sure if we're going to do anything versus related (some of the crew have busy schedules) but that may or may not crop up during the Echo Six missions.

Update 05 - Expendable

(32:31) USS 5: Stress|YouTube|Polsy

~After repairing the Nemesis and sentencing any remaining S.T.A.R.S members to death, Wolfpack only has one last mission - destroy evidence at the R.P.D. After that, as long as there are no other survivors, Wolfpack is home sweet home.

Mr. Soop
Feb 18, 2011

Bonsai Guy
I like how sassy the Lickers look when they bug out and hang from the ceiling. :allears:

Mountain Lightning
Aug 8, 2008

Romance Dawn For
The New World!
Basically, how Leon and Claire crash the car depends on whether or not Leon or Claire is on the A scenario. I want to say that if Claire is A (the canon scenario), then the car slams backwards like that, meaning Claire gets to go through the front of the RPD and Leon gets to go in the back. If Leon's first, the car slams in the front. It's a neat little touch.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

Mr. Soop posted:

I like how sassy the Lickers look when they bug out and hang from the ceiling. :allears:

"HAY GUYS WHAT'S GOIN' ON I'M JUST HANGIN' OUT FER SURE"

I'm not sure if Command's a bunch of douchebags for going "You guys couldn't catch one insignificant cop who had a head start and probably won't survive the night? gently caress it, time to drop hundreds of mutants on the city." or if they've actually played ahead in the series and know just how much poo poo Leon's capable of surviving through, so they're trying to get him right now while they can.

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity
Didn't hunters used to be nearly bulletproof from behind when O:RC came out?

Derek Barona posted:

I'm not sure if Command's a bunch of douchebags for going "You guys couldn't catch one insignificant cop who had a head start and probably won't survive the night? gently caress it, time to drop hundreds of mutants on the city." or if they've actually played ahead in the series and know just how much poo poo Leon's capable of surviving through, so they're trying to get him right now while they can.
If I remember right, the briefing for the next mission is literally that the Wolfpack murder so many of Umbrella's expensive bioweapons off-screen, it puts them at a financial loss so they decide to change their minds and pick them up after one last job. :psyduck:

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

limited posted:

If I remember right, the briefing for the next mission is literally that the Wolfpack murder so many of Umbrella's expensive bioweapons off-screen, it puts them at a financial loss so they decide to change their minds and pick them up after one last job. :psyduck:

Rule #1 of abandoning your field assets to die, don't bother to make sure they actually die.

Mountain Lightning
Aug 8, 2008

Romance Dawn For
The New World!

limited posted:

Hunters have never really been bulletproof, other than the fact that generally the handgun is a piss-poor weapon against them. Pretty much every game they're in (not including this one or the Chronicles games) they'll go down to 2-4 shotgun blasts, 1-2 grenades (acid most effective, while flame is least if memory recalls), or 1-2 magnum shots. I've never tried killing them with just straight handgun outside of RE3's mercenaries mode, though, so all I know is it generally takes 15+ rounds with the 9mm to kill one.

Behind doesn't really affect it on the whole bulletproof thing. You can get quite a few ambush shots throughout the series on enemies, including Hunters, especially when you're dicking around with speed-running and avoiding enemies. So barring something obscure I'm missing or one of the previously mentioned games, Hunters don't have any real special defenses to anything except either the default handguns or the assault rifle in RE3.

Nevermind didn't read it all the way. My bad. All I recall is that when Hunters showed up I generally needed like three million bullets to kill any of them.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
Sad I missed the last two videos. Life's been too busy.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

limited posted:

Yes, it's exactly like that. Fortunately Green Herbs grow in Raccoon City naturally (this is canon fact) so Wolfpack was able to make it through pretty easily, but picking up the weapons they need are another matter...

Derek Barona posted:

Rule #1 of abandoning your field assets to die, don't bother to make sure they actually die.

Simmons learned from the best.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

God, that dual Tyrant "boss battle" is such bullshit. I've seen videos of people attempting that fight solo, and it goes even worse than it did here. Tyrants only having one spot on their bodies (their heads) that takes anything resembling damage just makes it even more aggravating.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

The really surprising part is, we managed to get through it first time.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

The really surprising part is, we managed to get through it first time.
Yeah, that surprised me as well, given how many times you lot have shot/blown up/stabbed/screwed over each other.

Then again, Lunethex thought ahead and brought the flamethrower.

Creamed Cormp
Jan 8, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Yeah, that's one of the weird things about this LP, you are constantly talking about how the next encounter is pure bullshit or about how the incoming bossfight is near impossible, yet you always manage to breeze through it while also shooting/running into eachother.

I guess they really didn't balance it properly, it looks way too easy when 4 decent/good players barely work together, but solo is pure bullshit. Oh well, RE:ORC is basically "good idea, terrible execution" so there's no surprise.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

WitchFetish posted:

Yeah, that's one of the weird things about this LP, you are constantly talking about how the next encounter is pure bullshit or about how the incoming bossfight is near impossible, yet you always manage to breeze through it while also shooting/running into eachother.

I guess they really didn't balance it properly, it looks way too easy when 4 decent/good players barely work together, but solo is pure bullshit. Oh well, RE:ORC is basically "good idea, terrible execution" so there's no surprise.

Yeah it's an oversight on my/our part. Generally if you hear that, assume it's one of us talking from solo experience. This LP is the only time I've ever played with a full group and it amazes me how quickly some things go by, like the first hunters in the latest update. For example when I played solo I remember having three pods fall on me and I'm hiding in corners trying to not die to the hunters while the AI happily sprays itself down with sweet green mist before getting pounced by everything.

It's also horrible when you're playing solo because the AI can pick up sprays on the ground, including first aid sprays and subsequently die with them.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

WitchFetish posted:

Lunethex and co. also made the dual Tyrant fight easier thanks to a simple action: keeping the Tyrants separate from each other most of the time. Based on the videos I've seen, if you let them tag-team you, one can easily smack you into the other's charge attack for instance. Or you can be infinitely juggled back and forth by the Tyrants, to give another example I've seen.

But yeah, this game is heavily centered around co-op and the game's difficulty is clearly scaled that way.

Singh Long
Oct 9, 2012
IIRC, the last DLC mission has something that's far more horrifying in solo. Too bad that will have to wait.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

It's not so horrifying as it is just tedious. I played through that campaign solo a week ago and when I thought I had taken ages I was still within the time requirement on the score card :psyduck:

With a team though it could be far more manageable, but then again there's no real way to know you're doing damage :v:

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

I like how they put so much effort (by ORC standards) into recreating the RPD lobby, but anywhere else? Eh, gently caress it.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
Like I mentioned in the video itself, I do think Hunters got hit with a health reduction at some patch. The ones we fought are pussies compared to the ones at release which would drain half your ammo trying to kill a single one. We also skipped like half of them due to Drakenel running ahead.

The perception of ease is also probably because Lunethex executes Bertha to get a spray whenever he gets low on health. There's also the fact that with four human players the AI soldiers will actually spread out their fire instead of concentrating 95% of it on the one human playing while the AI teammates fart around being useless. So you have to get bogged down killing everything or else everything will focus on killing you and you steadily play resource drain. Not even co-op will stop the last mission from being pure bullshit though. Like I said in the video, 7 deaths there for my Pro S+ run compared to my 2 for the rest of the campaign.

Tyrants aren't too bad once you get an understanding of how to dodge them. The best way to learn that, is to have all your teammates die up top to Crimson Heads instead of running through and you having to legitimately solo both of them. :smithicide:

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

yeah for everyone thinking that we're making these chapters easy with our "not working together" attitude. Yeah, just wait till the next episode

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Is this game really only seven levels long? That's pretty ridiculous.

Everything about this game just feels so creatively bankrupt. I remember the original premise was supposed to be about the group going through RE2/3's timeline and potentially changing a lot of things, but here it only seems to be about Leon.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
Seven missions is a great value for your dollar! Because it makes the 20$ cost for six more missions an even better deal!

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Momomo posted:

Is this game really only seven levels long? That's pretty ridiculous.

Everything about this game just feels so creatively bankrupt. I remember the original premise was supposed to be about the group going through RE2/3's timeline and potentially changing a lot of things, but here it only seems to be about Leon.

Yeah, huge bait and switch. They also advertised the USS fighting against Echo Six like it was a narrative strong point but it just ended up being a versus thing and Echo Six got all the same skills as USS did. Spectre has these goggle skills that Party Girl also has but she has no goggles and it makes no sense for her to have them, just like it doesn't make sense that Willow can camo and mimic people like Vector. My guess was that, for example again, Party Girl was supposed to have been able to plant cameras around the map, listening devices, etc. Makes sense with her bio too.

This is unfortunate because Echo Six had way more care put into them as people and their scenarios, not to mention it makes way more sense to focus on the fact that the Government sent troops in (The Paracelsus Rail Gun) than the obvious USS teams. It's still ORC but if Echo Six were the main characters and the USS was DLC this would have been a, uh, (slightly) "better" game.

With that, it's time for the penultimate chapter.

Update 06 - Redemption

(37:24) USS 6: Preternatural|YouTube|Polsy

~Deserted by Umbrella after failing to kill Leon S. Kennedy, Wolfpack has barely survived the past ten hours. So despite mistrust and bruised egos, they agree to accept Umbrella's offer to go back to square one - Birkin's lab.

I promised things are getting worse (not in a bad way, a good way ;)) and I'm actually looking forward to getting to the Echo Six campaign. I also want to mention that a few weeks ago when we were still recording the 2nd and 3rd missions I wanted to rotate some of the crew out and nobody wanted to quit for someone else to get in.

We're being tainted. We actually want to play this game :frog:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Lunethex posted:

I also want to mention that a few weeks ago when we were still recording the 2nd and 3rd missions I wanted to rotate some of the crew out and nobody wanted to quit for someone else to get in.

We're being tainted. We actually want to play this game :frog:

It's amazing what a difference having a group of four players makes. The game's still a horrible, broken mess, but having three other people to suffer alongside makes it more bearable... even enjoyable, I'd daresay.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Every guide I ever read for RE4 back in the day told me never to buy the TMP, I bought it every time anyways because its great. You don't really need the stock unless you wanted to completely replace your handgun. But yeah, basically it was the best weapon to save ammo for your other weapons because a shot to the head or kneecap from the TMP is the same as a shot from the handgun, except if you miss or suddenly find yourself surrounded you can just unload the magazine and stunlock entire groups of zombies.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
Question of why are you all suddenly starting to suck? Cause I wasn't there.

That's right, I held the team together, my grenades under your feet saved you from death.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

I like how the intro is me flying across the screen saying 'ow' every few seconds.

Also, quick background, when we went to record, Lunethex got disconnected a few minutes in and dropped out the game. The rest of us played on, and in the kind of miracle they normally make TV movies starring Tom Arnold about, we discovered the true meaning of teamwork. We covered each other, supported each other without question and requests for help were answered with decisive action, rather than frag grenades and mocking laughter. We were a Team!

Then Lunethex was like, knock that poo poo off, and we went back to shooting each other in the head and summoning lava monsters. But it was good while it lasted.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Finally, this update has given me some moments worthy of giffing.

Wolfpack's Sudden Death

Raining spiders :stonk:

The disappearance of Beltway

e. That black frame on the spider one was getting obnoxious.

Lunethex fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Jul 3, 2014

Tyrone Biggums
Mar 5, 2013

Kibayasu posted:

Every guide I ever read for RE4 back in the day told me never to buy the TMP, I bought it every time anyways because its great. You don't really need the stock unless you wanted to completely replace your handgun. But yeah, basically it was the best weapon to save ammo for your other weapons because a shot to the head or kneecap from the TMP is the same as a shot from the handgun, except if you miss or suddenly find yourself surrounded you can just unload the magazine and stunlock entire groups of zombies.

Seriously. Not to mention how upgrading the capacity refills your ammo completely free of charge and you'll always end up with the equivalent of 50 free handgun bullets at minimum :whatup:

Mountain Lightning
Aug 8, 2008

Romance Dawn For
The New World!
It's strange. I really want to like this game. It has some things that I kind of enjoyed and wished were in other (better) RE games, like the dual-Tyrant fight or the general chaos of you vs. zombies vs. Special Forces (with the occasional special guest star of "Nemesis," "Hunters," or "That Teamkilling Fucktard Nicholai and his Sniper Rifle."). Hell, even some of the locations you're in aren't that bad.

Then all of the bullshit kicks in and makes me want to play better games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

I like how the intro is me flying across the screen saying 'ow' every few seconds.

Also, quick background, when we went to record, Lunethex got disconnected a few minutes in and dropped out the game. The rest of us played on, and in the kind of miracle they normally make TV movies starring Tom Arnold about, we discovered the true meaning of teamwork. We covered each other, supported each other without question and requests for help were answered with decisive action, rather than frag grenades and mocking laughter. We were a Team!

Then Lunethex was like, knock that poo poo off, and we went back to shooting each other in the head and summoning lava monsters. But it was good while it lasted.

it's at times like this where you have to wish there was a backup video recorder for these types of LPs because it was a sight to behold

• Locked thread