Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mazzagatti2Hotty
Jan 23, 2012

JON JONES APOLOGIST #3

glug posted:

HAHAHA

I was like..wtf I don't remember posting that poo poo?

Been so long since I've watched any UFC/posted in those threads, that I forgot there were a few of us :)

Haha yeah I got the same feeling! At least whoever that was is getting their money's worth.

It sounds from the past few posts like this game is at least more playable now, albeit with some apparent balance issues. I'll probably give it a few months before I try it again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

This is Canada. It snows nine months of the year, and hails the other three.

I play this semi regularly with my roommate over LAN, and it seems to be fairly well balanced for that. We've been overrun a few times, but we can always see how we let it happen. Once you get settled, holding a base seems easier.

BobMcFartsens
Dec 31, 2005

Sitting on a park bench

Been playing on and off since I got this during the Winter sale, I tend to get overrun by the end of the first day or beginning of the second. The cannibals seem nonstop at a certain point. Maybe I should try being really stealthy and just avoid them?

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

BobMcFartsens posted:

Been playing on and off since I got this during the Winter sale, I tend to get overrun by the end of the first day or beginning of the second. The cannibals seem nonstop at a certain point. Maybe I should try being really stealthy and just avoid them?

That tends to be my plan. I find some forlorn corner of the map and hide out. My roommate and I live on an island currently

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

New patch is out - for those of you complaining about being overrun, it looks like they might have made adjustments:

http://steamcommunity.com/games/242760/announcements/detail/217630780826665290

- Balanced enemy amounts at night to limit players being swarmed by 15 enemies at a time

BobMcFartsens
Dec 31, 2005

Sitting on a park bench

So whats the best way to get Feathers? I wanna make a bunch of arrows and shoot mans from platforms. Even if the bow is bugged, still sounds fun.

Freakbox
Dec 22, 2009

"And Tomorrow I can get Scared Another Day..."
Is anyone planning to do co-op? I bought this forever and a half ago and just let it sit until a few patches in, but it seems that there's multiplayer now. What better way to relearn the game than surrounded by other people? :haw:

Freakbox fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Jan 16, 2015

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

BobMcFartsens posted:

So whats the best way to get Feathers? I wanna make a bunch of arrows and shoot mans from platforms. Even if the bow is bugged, still sounds fun.

Find a nice beach and start chasing after birds.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Party Plane Jones posted:

Find a nice beach and start chasing after birds.

You can also dig up rocks with a stick and throw them at birds. Throws seem to go just right and down from the center of your screen.

BobMcFartsens
Dec 31, 2005

Sitting on a park bench

Now that i've got a bunch of arrows i've been trying to shoot dudes. When I actually hit them it's pretty effective. Seems like I can two-shot most cannibals. Now it's all just a matter of aiming. It's really hard to line up shots without a reticule.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
I've been keeping an eye on this game off and on for awhile now, held off on buying because of a lot of earlier complaints and because I've been screwed by early access about as much as I've not been and have learned caution the hard way (looking at you, Double Fine).

Basically, is it at a point now that it's worth the $15 for at least a few hours of running around trying to not die? Does the dev seem committed to the long haul?

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Fermented Tinal posted:

I've been keeping an eye on this game off and on for awhile now, held off on buying because of a lot of earlier complaints and because I've been screwed by early access about as much as I've not been and have learned caution the hard way (looking at you, Double Fine).

Basically, is it at a point now that it's worth the $15 for at least a few hours of running around trying to not die? Does the dev seem committed to the long haul?

I have paid that much for a single drink at bars so I'm assuming yes.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Fermented Tinal posted:

If $15 is an amount of money that you would worry about the consequences of spending frivolously, probably not. It's an early access game, and a reasonably complete one at that. You're not spending your $15 on a game, but rather on maybe one day getting a complete game. If it ever gets to be completed then you get the full game for whatever price you have already paid, and you get to play with it while it's in development in the meantime. Not all investments pan out, but the relative risk to potential reward on this one feels pretty safe to me.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

NeurosisHead posted:

If $15 is an amount of money that you would worry about the consequences of spending frivolously, probably not. It's an early access game, and a reasonably complete one at that. You're not spending your $15 on a game, but rather on maybe one day getting a complete game. If it ever gets to be completed then you get the full game for whatever price you have already paid, and you get to play with it while it's in development in the meantime. Not all investments pan out, but the relative risk to potential reward on this one feels pretty safe to me.

O' random-person-on-the-internet, you have sold me on this game where I am sure to end up in the cookpot of some savage cannibal tree-things.

E: Built a small cabin and was attacked by some Darwinian nightmare that made me see black and white and then I woke up in a cave. Fought my way back to the cabin, killing at least 10 equally slimy ghoulish attempts at humanity after getting out of the cave, only to get ambushed by several more when there.

The earth is soaked in the blood of my enemies and their body parts are strewn upon the ground like some kind of fell plant life.

Day 1: Survived :black101:

Fermented Tinal fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Jan 17, 2015

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Does the dll mod that lets you change the fov get you banned? does this game have VAC?

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Welcome to Château de Tinal, an exclusive forest resort overlooking an ocean-side cliff and recently added sculpture in the shape of the rear half of a passenger jet. All are welcome to drop by and chill by the fire and enjoy the lofty view from the Alpine room.

Note: Any attempts to eat the proprietor shall be dealt with harshly and you will be made example of to anyone who thinks they can do the same.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Hey, that's not bad, Fermented Tinal, but let's check out some of your reviews on TripAdvisor:

quote:

My husband and I booked the Chateau de Tinal for our anniversary, and we had somewhat negative experience. While the description of the property was mostly accurate and we were somewhat delighted by the unique arrangement of human skulls, Tinal didn't mention the residual jet fuel all around the fuselage. We had horrible headaches the entire time, and now my husband has been diagnosed with thyroid cancer.

quote:

We had a somewhat enjoyable time at the Chateau de Tinal for our family vacation, but we were awakened one night to the sound of a band of cannibal mutants tearing apart and devouring our eight-year-old son Sean. We'll have to do some serious thinking about whether we'd return to the Chateau, or instead get that time-share in Florida.

So, if you'd rather spend your vacation relaxing instead of clutching an airplane ax and hoping that the mutants can't hear your shivering or the insanity-wracked sobs of your significant other, why not instead book the....

Palais du Suboptimal

Nestled on top of a large hill overlooking the ocean, this picturesque redoubt offers the safety and security of a fortress with all the creature comforts of home.

Visit our well-stocked snack bar and medicine cabinet, located just next to our berry and herb garden. The flags in the background denote water sources, fishing ponds, and other points of touristic interest such as a crashed plane and several caves ready to be explored!

Rainwater collectors assure that we always have fresh, clean water, even during sieges!

Enjoy filet du lizard, catfish and rabbit from our primly-crafted drying rack. You won't have to worry about troublesome locals bothering you- a face full of spikes awaits them if they try to get past the front door.

A cozy ambiance is brought to you by our multiple standing fires.

Watch the sun set over our oceanside cliffs or hordes of mutants try in vain to scramble over our walls from the luxury of our platform gazebo.

Live in harmony with nature.

Palais du Suboptimal- your home away from home during an unexpected layover on a deserted Canadian island full of cannibals.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

So gimmicky base building aside, my game has gotten pretty intense. I'm satisfied with the state of my mega fortress in my last post, and I've begun colonizing the island by building outposts at each water source that I've found. I've managed to build two of them so far, each consisting of an alpine treehouse. One of them is way too hot right now- every time I go there, I get attacked, and the last time, I got ambushed by a group of four, killed two, and had one run off before the other tried to stalk me. I'm now in a full-on war with that particular tribe (the darker, skinnier and more aggressive ones) while the other group of mutants seems to be leaving me alone- for now. I can hear them moving around at night, but haven't seen them around my other outpost.

I've since been fortifying my first tree fort, and have made a system of tree platforms that would allow me to survive for a while. My goal is to build that up into an area well stocked with provisions and explosives, and use it as a staging area to build up the next one, and so on until I've established a network of outposts that ensures I'm never too far from food, meds, traps and better weapons. I'm waging a one-man war against the cannibals, and so far, I'm kicking their asses. :jihad:

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Any updates on this game? I've had this thread bookmarked for awhile since it seemed interesting

HardKase
Jul 15, 2007
TASTY
So I just got this in the sale, and I am impressed.

Its beautiful and scary and i love cutting down trees and the way it builds things and I got jumped by a bunch of cannibals and thought it was game over only to wake up being dragged through a field, pass out then wake up again in some deep dark cave.

Its beautiful, and scary, and I want to play more of it.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I really should reinstall it and try it again since it's been updated.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

An update: I built my shelter on the side of a cliff. This was a fortunate choice, as a regular enemy charged me and I suddenly flew a good 100 feet horizontally at high speed and my positioning let me land in the lake below.

Squish
Nov 22, 2007

Unrelenting.
Lipstick Apathy
Is this the only thread for The Forest?

Having only reddit as a source of discussion for this game is dissatisfying to say the least.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

I dunno, but it's a bummer that this thread isn't more active. The devs have added some good stuff to the game, including a new mutant called "Cowman" (currently only found in caves) and made the mutants a bit creepier. They also added in a katana which is kind of OP, but it's pretty cool to take down a mutant patrol leader in 3-4 hits while his buddies stand there freaking out.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

The poor performance on my computer even on low detail is one of the big reasons I don't play nearly as often as I want. It's terribly optimized.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
It looks cool, I just can't bring myself to actually buy the game.

Squish
Nov 22, 2007

Unrelenting.
Lipstick Apathy

chitoryu12 posted:

The poor performance on my computer even on low detail is one of the big reasons I don't play nearly as often as I want. It's terribly optimized.

Have you turned off motion blur and AA? I think I remember something about those being bad for framerates on this game.

Also what hardware? I have a 7970 which is going on 3 years old now and it plays fine in full detail.

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

Game runs fine for me. At least it did, until my friends and I ventured into the caves a couple months ago. Apparently there's a memory leak issue, since all of our performance went to poo poo and we ended up glitching through the world. It was appropriately hellish.

Epic Doctor Fetus
Jul 23, 2003

Is the game still carpeted with wildlife? It got kind of annoying having to wade through a sea of lizards while trying to avoid hog headbutts.

Squish
Nov 22, 2007

Unrelenting.
Lipstick Apathy
From what I gather they've toned down the wildlife a bit, and made them react a little more realistically.

I still haven't seen a croc or wild boars though.

Tuco22
Jul 11, 2013
The boars are up near the mountains.

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.
Just reinstalled this, built up a shack and then hid inside it as 4 naked angry mutants stood menacingly outside while screaming at me. Art imitating life I guess.

I'm down for coop if anyone wants to start up again, this is really my first time playing so I'll still be learning the basics of bashery

Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Oldstoneface

Squish
Nov 22, 2007

Unrelenting.
Lipstick Apathy
It'll be great once they get some kind of persistent or dedicated server going. Even better if there's a user side dedicated server to host your own.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

So if you're on the fence about buying this, it's currently $12.74 on Steam and the devs just released a new patch. They continually add content and it feels like a completely different game than what it was at the beginning of the year.

New patch dropped the other day, including a new enemy:

quote:

V0.28 - Removable stumps! New leaf fire trap, new molotov trap, new passenger manifest system (find the missing passengers), dynamite enemy type, arrow basket, rock fall tree trap, cave fixes, hanging cave bats and lots more!
Hey Everyone,
This patch finally allows players to remove leftover tree stumps. Simply place a bomb on a stump and stand back.
We’re also introducing the passenger manifest system. Once collected this can be used to keep track of the missing plane passengers you find in the world. This is a first pass at this system - currently some bodies may not register correctly
Additionally 3 new traps, an arrow basket, a new enemy type, cave bats, new improved looking tree trunks and lots more, all listed below.
As always, please continue to post your bug reports and feedback in the Discussions area of the Community Hub
V0.28 complete
New item: Passenger Manifest ! (find all fellow passenger bodies in world to cross their name’s off the list)
New building: Arrow basket ! (stores up to 86 arrows)
New building: Swinging rock trap
New building: Molotov trip wire trap !
New building: Leaf pile trap ! (costs 50 leaves, once built can be set on fire for 20s
to fry enemies) (Hint - works well combined with molotov trip wire trap)
Lit molotov and arrows can now set leaf pile traps alight
Lit molotov can now set all fire types alight
Extended molotov fire duration by 2 seconds
It is now possible to blow tree stumps up by sticking explosive on it !
Fixed Cave Map not restoring map properly after loading a saved game
Fixed case of sprint sometimes being unresponsive
new mutant type added: dynamite mutant
(Multiplayer) Fixed memory leak when cutting down/blowing up trees
(Multiplayer) Fixed trees cut far from host or client pop on when approached
(Multiplayer) The cave map and the passenger manifest are passed on to the respawned player when dying
(Multiplayer) Improved cases of log staying stuck mid air
(Multiplayer) Player list now displays properly for clients
(Multiplayer) Fixed issue where meat from animals would duplicate
(Multiplayer) Fixed issue where upgrades for weapons would not show up
(Multiplayer) Fixed issue where raft would become unusable after if person driving it got damaged
(Multiplayer) Fixed issue where mutant hanging in a noose-trap would vanish if trap was reset while mutant was still trapped
(Multiplayer) Fixed some issues with receiving invites while in the MP screen
Bushes & saplings are now properly pooled back when cut down
(Audio) Improved animation related system memory usage
Fixed finalized trophies not parenting properly with their supporting wall
Cut down thin trees are no longer loaded in saved game as tiny floating pine tree stumps
Reworded information on Garden in survival book
(Audio) Last Armsy audio
Increased skull lamp draw distance, and its light now fades in when enabled
Fixed wrong settings on tree cut causing them to vanish on ultra low draw distance when exploded
Art added: Camping Light
More stalagmite/stalactite models can now be broken apart
(Optimization) Improved performance of cave shadow blockers, and rendering on cave wood panels when not in cave
(Audio) Cowman breaths events added
(Audio) Fixed plane crash SFX playing again if you skipped the intro cutscene after the plane had already crashed
(Performance) New lod added for firestand built and treehouse built
(Audio) retimed plane crash sequence
Improved look of molotov explosion and of timedbomb explosion
AO added to dead trees
(Audio) Added grunts for Cowman’s Belly Flop Attack
Fixed drawn bow being automatically reset after jumping
Increased time for falling camera shake to kick in
Player will no longer be woken by enemies if he is sleeping inside a base that completely blocks enemies from entering
(Audio) Cowman dodge backwards sounds and recovery breaths
(Audio) Fixed hitting foliage with club sometimes sounding like sword
Thicker collider on tennis racket pickup so it falls over rocks better
Fixed enemy bodies sometimes disappearing when killed at a distance
New art added: Loose ground sticks
(Art) Improved all terrain to ocean transitions
Happy Birthday ghost model now matches built model
Fixed player getting thrown up in air when standing very close to exploding structures
New art added: Revised trunks, more detail, more variation
World mutants no longer instantly despawn when entering a cave
Cave 5- improved lighting, removed old purses, many collision and wall fixes, fixed cross pick up fixed, cleaned up stalagmites and replaced with breakable versions. Stalagmites added to geeselake swimout. Cleaned up pick ups and props. Replaced unbreakable tables with proper versions. Made tighter light blocker to prevent light leaks. Removed rock dressing from ground that looked cluttered.
Caves- upped collision detail on walls for cave 1,5 and 6
Caves- yellow flare crate should be synced in MP in cave 10
Caves- fixed missing wall in cave 6
Caves- lighting fixes in cave 2
Caves - replaced old lamps in cave 1 and improved cave 1 lighting
Lowered speed and damage of crafted axe
Fixed player head collider being disabled when in water
Added "Map" action icon when holding map
Cave map pickup no longer unequips after a few seconds when picked up
Tennis racket is now stashed when pressing the “Drop” button while holding it
Removed Armsy from bottom of cave 5
(Audio) added flies sound
Fixed burnt bodies all aligned same way
Fixed blood effect repeating after killing fish and effect never being removed from world
Fixed missing blood on Katanta and climbing axe, improved look of rusty axe blood. Fixed plane axe not bloody when first picked up.
Moved second modern axe from dead tree to deeper inside cave 2. Moved katana from in front of cave 1 to deeper inside cave 1. Moved rusty axe from early in cave 5 to deeper inside cave 5
Fixed missing “Lighter” action icon during cave hanging scene
(Performance) Optimized memory usage of AI’s path finding
Flies added to burnt dead bodies
Skull Ceiling Lamp drawing added to book
(Audio) added on fire, hurt and death sounds for Armsy
Fixed plant bomb on tree not showing when equipping bomb
while in another trigger
Fixed dropping animal heads, then picking it up again quickly causing it to vanish

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
We'll have to see if those new mutants can destroy places i build, if they do I might have to rethink my plans a bit.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Have they implemented the 'peaceful mode' that they were talking about at one point?

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

It's always been there; just type "veganmode" at the main menu screen for no mutants and "vegetarianmode" for mutants at night only.

Jo Joestar
Oct 24, 2013
Does anyone else get a strange reverb in the game? Noises from the cannibals and some of the animals behave normally for me, but ambient noises like the sound of boots on the forest floor or the sounds chopping down a tree makes all repeat after they're first triggered.

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

Yep, I get it too sometimes. Especially with rivers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I wonder if they have anything planned to mark the second year of early access.

• Locked thread