Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Squish
Nov 22, 2007

Unrelenting.
Lipstick Apathy
Is this the only thread for The Forest?

Having only reddit as a source of discussion for this game is dissatisfying to say the least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squish
Nov 22, 2007

Unrelenting.
Lipstick Apathy

chitoryu12 posted:

The poor performance on my computer even on low detail is one of the big reasons I don't play nearly as often as I want. It's terribly optimized.

Have you turned off motion blur and AA? I think I remember something about those being bad for framerates on this game.

Also what hardware? I have a 7970 which is going on 3 years old now and it plays fine in full detail.

Squish
Nov 22, 2007

Unrelenting.
Lipstick Apathy
From what I gather they've toned down the wildlife a bit, and made them react a little more realistically.

I still haven't seen a croc or wild boars though.

Squish
Nov 22, 2007

Unrelenting.
Lipstick Apathy
It'll be great once they get some kind of persistent or dedicated server going. Even better if there's a user side dedicated server to host your own.

Squish
Nov 22, 2007

Unrelenting.
Lipstick Apathy
So you are now their greatest fear.

That's awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squish
Nov 22, 2007

Unrelenting.
Lipstick Apathy

suboptimal posted:

I feel like my cannibal AI resets or something, because every time I load up a game, I go through the same early game phase where the cannibals nervously regard me before starting to attack in earnest. Guys, I'm wearing the bones of your buddies as armor and your dad's skull is next to a dozen others on a stick outside my sprawling fortress- you already know I'm not a nice guy.

My coolest standoff entailed getting into a staring contest with a big group while I was in a treehouse, eying each other down while I held a nocked arrow. They gradually slipped off into the night, one by one.

I've built a fortress in Goose Lake that is accessible only via rope from platforms, and the main centrepiece is a custom platform that's nearly max height. I have targets set up around the perimeter and tonnes of noose traps, birthday traps and deadfalls. I had actually logged the entire region but each update would respawn the trees so now it's much more densely packed with traps and trees.

Even armsies and virginias are just katana fodder. Now that bone fences are a thing, I think that'll be the next aesthetic improvement to tell the natives that this poo poo is my turf, and they'd best tread lightly.

You wanna have at it bro? Your bones will look good adorning my wall.

• Locked thread