Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

I got this a while ago, but only started playing it last night. My first attempt ended in about five minutes, but for my second attempt, my plane crash is right on the edge of a cliff, so I've been able to build a decent fortress that uses defensive walls and torches to funnel any of the mutants into chokepoints with traps on any angle of approach. I suspect that eventually they're going to mount an attack that I can't withstand, so I'm wondering- has anyone experimented with making multiple shelters in different areas and avoiding scouts by moving between them?

Also, is there any way to dismantle a structure that you don't need anymore?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Yeah, dunno, bashing stuff with an axe doesn't seem to work for me. Also, is the bow glitched like crazy or is it just me? I can't seem to hit anything with it and sometimes, my arrows just stop in midair.

I managed to survive for 18 days before I got taken down by four that managed to get past my traps and weren't intimidated by my effigies. (Admittedly I may have provoked them by setting up standing fires and effigies near their village.) I woke up in a cave and then got killed when I couldn't sneak past two of the spider zombies.

Really liking the mechanics in this game. With some polishing, this will really be awesome, and I'm impressed with the quality thus far.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

New patch out. Haven't had a chance to try out these new features yet, but some of these look pretty great- looking forward to building a treehouse fortress!

quote:

Version 0.07 Changelog:

Rock holder blueprint added
Moveable log holder blueprint added
Mid sized cabin blueprint added
Tree house blueprint added
Working door added to custom build doorway
Male version of skinny mutant added
New animal added: Tortoise
New animal added: Racoons!
Animal numbers will go down over time if you kill a lot of them. Will eventually slowly repopulate
Different animal types now stay around specific parts of world
Weapon balancing, all weapons will be slower when holding an item in left hand (Lighter, walkman etc) faster when held with both hands. New slower axe anim in combat.
More accurate weapon collider sizes, small axe smaller, stick bigger etc
You can now catch rabbits and place them into the rabbit cage
Better previous weapon switching system
Improved blueprint placement, items will now turn red and be unplaceable if intersecting trees
New rock attack animation, more powerful, uses more stamina
Cave’s now only contain blue skinned enemies and distorted mutants
Better combat theme
Better lake theme
Fixed peaceful mode (was accidentally broken in last update)
Further improved enemy pacing over time, fixed bug that could cause enemies to vanish over time
Energy now replenishes faster when sitting on bench
More small props added
Switching weapons whilst holding molotov will no longer cause it to drop
Sound effects added for adding sticks/logs and rocks to storage
Whoosh sound added when items moved around inventory
Fixed molotov pieces bouncing around causing fire to move in strange ways
Fire now scales with amount of fuel
Plants now burn for longer
Trees will tumble over if burnt now and added new burning material with embers
Tree leaves will now burn away correctly when on fire
Energy bar now flashes when playing music to make clear that your stamina is getting a boost
Crafting info pages unlocked in survival book (rough, missing lots of items)
Fixed bug where you could get infinite flares by dropping flare gun and picking it up again
Fixed bug where day count could change when entering/exiting caves
Fixed yellow axe mesh not visible when equipped
Terrain texture and shape improvements
Fires can now cook an unlimited amount of items, food will be placed at random location on fire
Fixed bug where you could sometimes get infinite sticks/rocks in inventory
Arrows should now work more effectively against enemies
Visible lizard skin armour!

Edit: the patch may have broken my save, so be careful

pantslesswithwolves fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Sep 17, 2014

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

So yeah, game still looks pretty and I like the new mechanics, but it's still pretty hilarious when poo poo like this happens:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0eftESmak4

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Hey, that's not bad, Fermented Tinal, but let's check out some of your reviews on TripAdvisor:

quote:

My husband and I booked the Chateau de Tinal for our anniversary, and we had somewhat negative experience. While the description of the property was mostly accurate and we were somewhat delighted by the unique arrangement of human skulls, Tinal didn't mention the residual jet fuel all around the fuselage. We had horrible headaches the entire time, and now my husband has been diagnosed with thyroid cancer.

quote:

We had a somewhat enjoyable time at the Chateau de Tinal for our family vacation, but we were awakened one night to the sound of a band of cannibal mutants tearing apart and devouring our eight-year-old son Sean. We'll have to do some serious thinking about whether we'd return to the Chateau, or instead get that time-share in Florida.

So, if you'd rather spend your vacation relaxing instead of clutching an airplane ax and hoping that the mutants can't hear your shivering or the insanity-wracked sobs of your significant other, why not instead book the....

Palais du Suboptimal

Nestled on top of a large hill overlooking the ocean, this picturesque redoubt offers the safety and security of a fortress with all the creature comforts of home.

Visit our well-stocked snack bar and medicine cabinet, located just next to our berry and herb garden. The flags in the background denote water sources, fishing ponds, and other points of touristic interest such as a crashed plane and several caves ready to be explored!

Rainwater collectors assure that we always have fresh, clean water, even during sieges!

Enjoy filet du lizard, catfish and rabbit from our primly-crafted drying rack. You won't have to worry about troublesome locals bothering you- a face full of spikes awaits them if they try to get past the front door.

A cozy ambiance is brought to you by our multiple standing fires.

Watch the sun set over our oceanside cliffs or hordes of mutants try in vain to scramble over our walls from the luxury of our platform gazebo.

Live in harmony with nature.

Palais du Suboptimal- your home away from home during an unexpected layover on a deserted Canadian island full of cannibals.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

So gimmicky base building aside, my game has gotten pretty intense. I'm satisfied with the state of my mega fortress in my last post, and I've begun colonizing the island by building outposts at each water source that I've found. I've managed to build two of them so far, each consisting of an alpine treehouse. One of them is way too hot right now- every time I go there, I get attacked, and the last time, I got ambushed by a group of four, killed two, and had one run off before the other tried to stalk me. I'm now in a full-on war with that particular tribe (the darker, skinnier and more aggressive ones) while the other group of mutants seems to be leaving me alone- for now. I can hear them moving around at night, but haven't seen them around my other outpost.

I've since been fortifying my first tree fort, and have made a system of tree platforms that would allow me to survive for a while. My goal is to build that up into an area well stocked with provisions and explosives, and use it as a staging area to build up the next one, and so on until I've established a network of outposts that ensures I'm never too far from food, meds, traps and better weapons. I'm waging a one-man war against the cannibals, and so far, I'm kicking their asses. :jihad:

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

I dunno, but it's a bummer that this thread isn't more active. The devs have added some good stuff to the game, including a new mutant called "Cowman" (currently only found in caves) and made the mutants a bit creepier. They also added in a katana which is kind of OP, but it's pretty cool to take down a mutant patrol leader in 3-4 hits while his buddies stand there freaking out.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

So if you're on the fence about buying this, it's currently $12.74 on Steam and the devs just released a new patch. They continually add content and it feels like a completely different game than what it was at the beginning of the year.

New patch dropped the other day, including a new enemy:

quote:

V0.28 - Removable stumps! New leaf fire trap, new molotov trap, new passenger manifest system (find the missing passengers), dynamite enemy type, arrow basket, rock fall tree trap, cave fixes, hanging cave bats and lots more!
Hey Everyone,
This patch finally allows players to remove leftover tree stumps. Simply place a bomb on a stump and stand back.
We’re also introducing the passenger manifest system. Once collected this can be used to keep track of the missing plane passengers you find in the world. This is a first pass at this system - currently some bodies may not register correctly
Additionally 3 new traps, an arrow basket, a new enemy type, cave bats, new improved looking tree trunks and lots more, all listed below.
As always, please continue to post your bug reports and feedback in the Discussions area of the Community Hub
V0.28 complete
New item: Passenger Manifest ! (find all fellow passenger bodies in world to cross their name’s off the list)
New building: Arrow basket ! (stores up to 86 arrows)
New building: Swinging rock trap
New building: Molotov trip wire trap !
New building: Leaf pile trap ! (costs 50 leaves, once built can be set on fire for 20s
to fry enemies) (Hint - works well combined with molotov trip wire trap)
Lit molotov and arrows can now set leaf pile traps alight
Lit molotov can now set all fire types alight
Extended molotov fire duration by 2 seconds
It is now possible to blow tree stumps up by sticking explosive on it !
Fixed Cave Map not restoring map properly after loading a saved game
Fixed case of sprint sometimes being unresponsive
new mutant type added: dynamite mutant
(Multiplayer) Fixed memory leak when cutting down/blowing up trees
(Multiplayer) Fixed trees cut far from host or client pop on when approached
(Multiplayer) The cave map and the passenger manifest are passed on to the respawned player when dying
(Multiplayer) Improved cases of log staying stuck mid air
(Multiplayer) Player list now displays properly for clients
(Multiplayer) Fixed issue where meat from animals would duplicate
(Multiplayer) Fixed issue where upgrades for weapons would not show up
(Multiplayer) Fixed issue where raft would become unusable after if person driving it got damaged
(Multiplayer) Fixed issue where mutant hanging in a noose-trap would vanish if trap was reset while mutant was still trapped
(Multiplayer) Fixed some issues with receiving invites while in the MP screen
Bushes & saplings are now properly pooled back when cut down
(Audio) Improved animation related system memory usage
Fixed finalized trophies not parenting properly with their supporting wall
Cut down thin trees are no longer loaded in saved game as tiny floating pine tree stumps
Reworded information on Garden in survival book
(Audio) Last Armsy audio
Increased skull lamp draw distance, and its light now fades in when enabled
Fixed wrong settings on tree cut causing them to vanish on ultra low draw distance when exploded
Art added: Camping Light
More stalagmite/stalactite models can now be broken apart
(Optimization) Improved performance of cave shadow blockers, and rendering on cave wood panels when not in cave
(Audio) Cowman breaths events added
(Audio) Fixed plane crash SFX playing again if you skipped the intro cutscene after the plane had already crashed
(Performance) New lod added for firestand built and treehouse built
(Audio) retimed plane crash sequence
Improved look of molotov explosion and of timedbomb explosion
AO added to dead trees
(Audio) Added grunts for Cowman’s Belly Flop Attack
Fixed drawn bow being automatically reset after jumping
Increased time for falling camera shake to kick in
Player will no longer be woken by enemies if he is sleeping inside a base that completely blocks enemies from entering
(Audio) Cowman dodge backwards sounds and recovery breaths
(Audio) Fixed hitting foliage with club sometimes sounding like sword
Thicker collider on tennis racket pickup so it falls over rocks better
Fixed enemy bodies sometimes disappearing when killed at a distance
New art added: Loose ground sticks
(Art) Improved all terrain to ocean transitions
Happy Birthday ghost model now matches built model
Fixed player getting thrown up in air when standing very close to exploding structures
New art added: Revised trunks, more detail, more variation
World mutants no longer instantly despawn when entering a cave
Cave 5- improved lighting, removed old purses, many collision and wall fixes, fixed cross pick up fixed, cleaned up stalagmites and replaced with breakable versions. Stalagmites added to geeselake swimout. Cleaned up pick ups and props. Replaced unbreakable tables with proper versions. Made tighter light blocker to prevent light leaks. Removed rock dressing from ground that looked cluttered.
Caves- upped collision detail on walls for cave 1,5 and 6
Caves- yellow flare crate should be synced in MP in cave 10
Caves- fixed missing wall in cave 6
Caves- lighting fixes in cave 2
Caves - replaced old lamps in cave 1 and improved cave 1 lighting
Lowered speed and damage of crafted axe
Fixed player head collider being disabled when in water
Added "Map" action icon when holding map
Cave map pickup no longer unequips after a few seconds when picked up
Tennis racket is now stashed when pressing the “Drop” button while holding it
Removed Armsy from bottom of cave 5
(Audio) added flies sound
Fixed burnt bodies all aligned same way
Fixed blood effect repeating after killing fish and effect never being removed from world
Fixed missing blood on Katanta and climbing axe, improved look of rusty axe blood. Fixed plane axe not bloody when first picked up.
Moved second modern axe from dead tree to deeper inside cave 2. Moved katana from in front of cave 1 to deeper inside cave 1. Moved rusty axe from early in cave 5 to deeper inside cave 5
Fixed missing “Lighter” action icon during cave hanging scene
(Performance) Optimized memory usage of AI’s path finding
Flies added to burnt dead bodies
Skull Ceiling Lamp drawing added to book
(Audio) added on fire, hurt and death sounds for Armsy
Fixed plant bomb on tree not showing when equipping bomb
while in another trigger
Fixed dropping animal heads, then picking it up again quickly causing it to vanish

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

It's always been there; just type "veganmode" at the main menu screen for no mutants and "vegetarianmode" for mutants at night only.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

I feel like my cannibal AI resets or something, because every time I load up a game, I go through the same early game phase where the cannibals nervously regard me before starting to attack in earnest. Guys, I'm wearing the bones of your buddies as armor and your dad's skull is next to a dozen others on a stick outside my sprawling fortress- you already know I'm not a nice guy.

My coolest standoff entailed getting into a staring contest with a big group while I was in a treehouse, eying each other down while I held a nocked arrow. They gradually slipped off into the night, one by one.

• Locked thread