Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jo Joestar
Oct 24, 2013
Does anyone else get a strange reverb in the game? Noises from the cannibals and some of the animals behave normally for me, but ambient noises like the sound of boots on the forest floor or the sounds chopping down a tree makes all repeat after they're first triggered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jo Joestar
Oct 24, 2013

dogstile posted:

I want them to keep going with the "who is the monster here" goal that they initially wanted to do. They wanted the player to think that maybe the island residents weren't all that bad, but its kind of hard for me to feel sympathy for butchering them since upon meeting you they do the following:

1. Stare
2. Run away if alone, bring back group. If in group they advance
3. Try to surround you
4. If they surround you, proceed with murder. If they don't, proceed with murder.

Every goddamn time.

It took a lot of defending my fortress from the cannibal hordes, but the cannibals eventually started sending out 'human' sacrifices to me. What I'd sometimes get in the night, instead of a raid, was one of the big grey cannibals approaching me on his own, kneeling down near me or my fortress, and quietly sobbing to himself. They don't try to attack at all, even when I start hitting them with an axe.

Jo Joestar
Oct 24, 2013

Promontory posted:

I thought this was just one more Minecraft clone added to the pile, but the AI stuff sounds really interesting. Are there any estimates on how close this to being completed? I'm wondering if I should jump in now or wait until release.

It's got some rough edges and unfinished pieces, particularly story-wise, but it's essentially a complete game. I don't know how long it's going to be until it comes out of alpha, but the recent updates have focussed on story content, and filling out the crafting system with things like houseboats and bags for crafting materials and so forth. The core of the game is pretty well established, and like it's been said before, the cannibal AI is one of the best parts of the game.

Also, if anyone wants to build defensively, rock walls are definitely the way to go. They're completely invulnerable to cannibal attacks, and you can stack them on top of each other so cannibals can't jump over them. I've set up a 2-story fort made of rock walls and foundations on one of my saves, with the gate only being accessible by a staircase, and the only thing that's ever managed to hurt me while I was inside was a Virginia that jumped over the walls.

Edit: Actually, that's probably my main complaint with the game as it stands. The cannibals generally have a good AI, but they're quite limited in how they can move, and it's easy to not bother with traps and just set up a base that the cannibals can't ever breach. That's really at odds with the sense of tension and danger that the game tries to create.

If I wanted to fix that, I'd probably improve the cannibal AI's pathing (so they don't get confused around stairs), and make it a bit easier for them to get around - make them able to swim and climb rock walls, for example. That would make building invulnerable bases more difficult, and would make traps more important to your base defences.

Edit^2: If anyone is interested, someone on the Steam forums made a long post about how exactly strength and athleticism work.

Tl;dr: Athleticism points build up very slowly as you sprint, or dive without a scuba tank. Athleticism points can be reduced by diseases, and if you're overweight then your Athleticism is reduced by some percentage (but you can get your Athleticism back up by losing weight). Eating chocolate bars and drinking soda is inherently fattening. So is eating when your fullness meter is high. You lose weight very quickly if you starve yourself (which means you risk losing strength, see the Strength section), but your weight falls or rises to the 'normal' range if you eat relatively healthily (meat and berries, only when your fullness meter is low but before you start to starve).

Your strength can only change at a particular time each day, the same time that you woke up on the island. Your character has a hidden meter measuring the number of trees he's chopped down recently, and if it's above 5 at that point then your strength can change. The number of trees in the meter is constantly and slowly falling, though. If you've been eating well then your strength goes up, but if you've been going hungry too often then you lose strength instead.

Jo Joestar fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Jul 27, 2016

• Locked thread