Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mom with a blog
Jul 15, 2009

Comedy is basically self-deprecation.

forbidden lesbian posted:

haha, that sure was a funny photoshop in the op, did you see it?

what photoshop i thought we were in "Let's Argue About ET"

my bad i'll be going

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

I was tricked into thinking this would be about a new Quake:ET game. :smith:

. . . I guess I'm not that disappointed.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Endorph posted:

That wasn't clear, you're right, but I meant to say that ET's production run being in the millions is literally the sort of thing that led to the crash, it's exhibit A of the problems of the time.

Was it really millions? Were there even millions of Atari 2600s out in the wild?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Not sure if it was millions but they sure made more carts than there were 2600's sold. :psyduck:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Voted 4.8. Needs ET in the Smash Brothers scarf.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
ET is maybe not a good videogame

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Sakurazuka posted:

Not sure if it was millions but they sure made more carts than there were 2600's sold. :psyduck:
No, that was Pac-Man.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
Thread does not have enough tool-assisted speedruns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4U9MftKv2hs

Roelosaurus
Jun 5, 2014

Doesn't look like Michael Clarke Duncan at all!

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Fulchrum posted:

No, that was Pac-Man.

What was it, 12 million carts manufactured for 10 million consoles sold, including ones which were broken or relegated to a closet?

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

raditts posted:

Was it really millions? Were there even millions of Atari 2600s out in the wild?

There were more than a million Ataris out, remember by 82 the system had been out for like three years. There were at least a million cartridges produced too. Its odd to think that such a comparatively small number (there's games that sell more than that on their launch week these days) was one of the highest production runs of all time back then.

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
this thread destroyed my preconceived notions

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

I thought this thread was about a new Enemy Territory. Now I'm sad, yet still oddly satisfied.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

StealthArcher fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Jun 17, 2014

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

In the pipe, 5 by 5

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Roelosaurus posted:

Doesn't look like Michael Clarke Duncan at all!

same, but white kingpin is from marvel comics continuity not marvel movie continuity

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Games needs more threads like this.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.
I just wanna say, Noggle, Mr. OP Sir, thanks for sticking this out not giving up on your passion-thread project. This year has been great and it's the culmination of your entire posting career. We need more posters like you.

:patriot:

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Cliff Racer posted:

There were more than a million Ataris out, remember by 82 the system had been out for like three years. There were at least a million cartridges produced too. Its odd to think that such a comparatively small number (there's games that sell more than that on their launch week these days) was one of the highest production runs of all time back then.

The 2600 released in 1977, we're talking about around 10 million units in the US by 1982. It has set a precedent not to have a console generation last more than six years (ignoring the Wii/360/PS3).

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Healbot posted:

The 2600 released in 1977, we're talking about around 10 million units in the US by 1982. It has set a precedent not to have a console generation last more than six years (ignoring the Wii/360/PS3).

Just because the crash happened in '83 doesn't mean the console totally died then, off the top of my head there was Ghostbusters and Donkey Kong Jr. which were both released at least a couple of years later, so there had to be some others in there too. My perception in general of when Atari games came out is a bit skewed since I would've been 2 years old when the crash happened, though. There wasn't any other console that reigned in between '83 and when the NES came along in '85, was there?

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

I had no idea this thread existed. Fantastic.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

ET remake coming to Xbone you heard it here first

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Harrison
Feb 24, 2010

All through the day, I me mine
I thought the cartridges were ground up before they were buried so they took up less space and the digging-up was a publicity stunt... :confused:

• Locked thread