Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

sursumdeorsum posted:

I was really excited and then the trailer started and my hopes and dreams were crushed. The joke with the dusty vagina was one of the lamest attempts at comedy I've seen recently.

Dumb, and not in a funny way, just dumb.

I always find it strange that "gross" is so easily confused with both "comedy" and "horror."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

The entire thing reeks of trying too hard for cheap laughs. The catheter, dude on fire jumping into a pool, vending machine camouflage, and hanging out on the freeway. The original didn't have to resort to over the top antics to be funny.

bartok
May 10, 2006

The last movie I walked out on was a Farrelly Bros. movie. Remember their remake of The Heartbreak Kid? I gave it a chance because it was sold as Farrelly Bros. reuniting with Ben Stiller in their first "R" rated movie since Me, Myself, and Irene. Man, what an unfunny piece of poo poo. I should of bailed as soon as I saw Carlos Mencia's name in the opening credits.
I want Dumb and Dumber To to be good but I'm not holding out hope. The Farrelly Bros. that made Dumb and Dumber, Kingpin, and Something About Mary are gone.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

bartok posted:

The last movie I walked out on was a Farrelly Bros. movie. Remember their remake of The Heartbreak Kid? I gave it a chance because it was sold as Farrelly Bros. reuniting with Ben Stiller in their first "R" rated movie since Me, Myself, and Irene. Man, what an unfunny piece of poo poo. I should of bailed as soon as I saw Carlos Mencia's name in the opening credits.
I want Dumb and Dumber To to be good but I'm not holding out hope. The Farrelly Bros. that made Dumb and Dumber, Kingpin, and Something About Mary are gone.
Yeah they have tended to try too hard with their jokes since those comedies.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
I think they accidentally made an adult Spongebod movie. I'm in.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
It looks like a piece of poo poo.

xzoto1
Jan 18, 2010

How's life in a bigger prison, Dae-su?

Blind Sally posted:

That looks amazing.

Part of this was filmed at my work (television station). I walked right past Seth. It was pretty surreal...

xzoto1 fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Jun 21, 2014

xzoto1
Jan 18, 2010

This looks like poo poo. The reason the first movie worked is that Lloyd and Harry were unintentionally funny. We laughed at their everyday oddities. They acted stupid because they WERE stupid. This new film makes it look like they are trying to act stupid rather than actually being stupid... If that makes any sense...

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

xzoto1 posted:

This looks like poo poo. The reason the first movie worked is that Lloyd and Harry were unintentionally funny. We laughed at their everyday oddities. They acted stupid because they WERE stupid. This new film makes it look like they are trying to act stupid rather than actually being stupid... If that makes any sense...

You're making me re-evaluate. This movie is essentially this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gg5LOd_Zus

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
There's some web cartoonist who wrote a book and it started with talking about herself as a toddler and how she'd get the salt and pepper shakers, put salt into her mouth, it would feel salty, and so she'd put pepper in to counteract the salt because they were clearly opposites as denoted by the black and white shakers. Then her mouth would get peppery, and she'd put salt in her mouth. Repeat.

If you have two idiots, you don't need crazy situations like a horny bedridden woman trying to get fingered - just behaving in a way that makes sense to them that doesn't make sense to anyone else in generic situations should be enough, and is much funnier. Like Harry's total misreading of the snowball fight.

"Big gulps, huh?"

No Wave fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Jun 21, 2014

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Wow, this looks terrible. Dumb & Dumber at least had a few funny bits in the trailer. Hopefully they aren't the only ones in the film.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

CaptainHollywood posted:

You're making me re-evaluate. This movie is essentially this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gg5LOd_Zus

That's still hilarious, though. The intentionality of it doesn't overrule the fact that a fat dude lip-syncing to Romanian pop and attempting to look cool/seductive while doing so is inherently hilarious.

Joey Gladstone
May 26, 2003

I think that based on the trailer, the twist is that Jim Carrey is actually the dad of the girl and it's going to be really funny because he wanted to gently caress his own daughter the whole time

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

bushisms.txt posted:

and it's pretty much Jim Carrey's greatest work.

I hope not. The movie was retarded. It was just stupidity for being stupid. For me it rivals Carrey's Cable Guy in the "burn these movies from history"

xzoto1
Jan 18, 2010

SocketWrench posted:

It was just stupidity for being stupid.

What does that even mean?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

SocketWrench posted:

I hope not. The movie was retarded. It was just stupidity for being stupid. For me it rivals Carrey's Cable Guy in the "burn these movies from history"

The Cable Guy rules. Don't poo poo on it.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

SocketWrench posted:

How about we burn you from history :smugmrgw:

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

SALT CURES HAM posted:

How about we burn you from history :smugmrgw:

Let me find my pitchfork first.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Joey Gladstone posted:

I think that based on the trailer, the twist is that Jim Carrey is actually the dad of the girl and it's going to be really funny because he wanted to gently caress his own daughter the whole time

That bit reminds me uncomfortably of Jim Carrey creeping on Emma Stone with online videos.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Joey Gladstone posted:

That was my thought too when I remembered who Fraida Felcher was. Of course, the twist to the twist will be that she's actually the daughter of Sea Bass.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
An ill advised "comedic" reference to old boy sounds like the kind of bad idea the Farrelly brothers would actually have.

Donovan Trip fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Jul 1, 2014

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW
If they get rid of the terrible dusty vagina scene, this looks like it might be a fun sequel.

BigD7976
Feb 24, 2014

by VideoGames
ok, they had to explain the 20 year gap in between. They tried to be funny with it. I am still going to see it, I grew up on the film. I just hope they don't destroy it to bad.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
The dusty vagina scene was a little much, then again the Farelly Brothers moved HARD into raunchy, gross-out comedy a couple years later with There's Something About Mary and never stopped so I get why they would do something like that.

I'll end up watching this but my expectations are low because I'm really not sure if the Farrellys will just let Carrey and Daniels work because that's really why Dumb & Dumber was so funny.

bartok
May 10, 2006

BigD7976 posted:

ok, they had to explain the 20 year gap in between. They tried to be funny with it. I am still going to see it, I grew up on the film. I just hope they don't destroy it to bad.

That's the reason I don't want to see it.

Personally my favorite Farelly Brothers movie is still Kingpin.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

BigD7976 posted:

Lloyd, in prison, for 20 years, for stalking and violating restraining orders on Lauren Holly's character.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
They didn't have to explain the twenty years at all. Just start the movie like they did the last one with them working their lovely jobs and then by being idiots they stumble into an adventure.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008
This looks awful. The original, much like another comedy classic, The Jerk, perfectly captures idiots who are always completely unaware of how dumb they are, and it is from that earnest stupidity that the comedy arises. This just looks like a series of lame gross out gags.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Marketing New Brain posted:

This looks awful. The original, much like another comedy classic, The Jerk, perfectly captures idiots who are always completely unaware of how dumb they are, and it is from that earnest stupidity that the comedy arises. This just looks like a series of lame gross out gags.

This is exactly how I feel about it. The original came out when I was 10, and at that time the gross-out elements were funny (peeing in beer bottles, explosive diarrhea), but it actually kind of holds up now (to a 30 year old) because of the understated moments of stupidity. "Samsonite! I was way off!" or, "I don't know, Lloyd, the French are assholes."

The trailer might just be highlighting the bigger moments because those are the loudest and most shocking. But also, these are way bigger than anything that actually happened in the first one, so I share people's concern.

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
Well, the original trailer focused on the physical comedy like Jeff Daniels' tongue stuck to frozen metal or Jim Carrey falling onto the airport tarmac. Those weren't even the best bits of the movie; the dialogue about the John Deere letter, the John Denver joke, and the Mutual of Omaha commercial were all much funnier to me and you didn't get a hint of that in the preview.

Not that I'm defending this. It'll probably suck and it'll be a pleasant surprise if it doesn't.

AwkwardKnob
Dec 29, 2004

A good pun is like a good steak: A rare medium well done
I don't mind that the sequel takes place 20 years later. When the trailer has Jim Carrey saying "I love what you've done with the place!" and they cut to a shot of their apartment and it looks identical, that cracked me up out loud. My hope here is that there is a lot of legitimate, understated, yet hilarious comedy in this movie, and the trailer just kind of played up the more outlandish parts in the name of being eye-catching. Don't forget, in the 20 years since the first movie came out, we've had the whole dynamic of Jackass and Bad Grandpa and Borat and so on, and I was getting a sense of the trailer trying to sort of catch that kind of audience's eye.

edit: My opinion on this is also based on the fact that my girlfriend is 21 years old and had never seen Dumb & Dumber before at all, so I showed her the trailer for that cold, and it certainly didn't blow her away. The real comedy meat lies further down, hopefully in this case too. She liked the first movie once she'd seen it.

BigD7976
Feb 24, 2014

by VideoGames

JediTalentAgent posted:

Lloyd, in prison, for 20 years, for stalking and violating restraining orders on Lauren Holly's character.

Stop shattering my delusions for this movie! And setting higher expectations!

Optimist with doubt
May 16, 2010

Scoop Lover

:vince:

he knows...
I've seen the trailer a few times and none of those times I laughed at all. I have a really bad feeling about this movie.

PTizzle
Oct 1, 2008
I don't remember the trailer for the first but I can't imagine it looking particularly funny in trailer form.

This one was a weird mix of a couple of really funny jokes (the gotcha at the start, apartment, dead dad calling etc) and a couple of really bad ones (most of the rest). I'll probably see it if the response is decent.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
The trailer for the first one was Serious Announcer dissecting the definition of Stupid, while the "both of them?" skis bit went on. I think there was some shots of the dream kung-fu bit, the mustard/ketchup thing, the most annoying sound, and "it's okay! i'm a limo driver!"

hottubrhymemachine
May 24, 2006

Connie is death process
I dread to think what kind of monstrousity they'll have Harry driving around in this time. Based on the trailer it will either be the exact same dog van from the original or it will be EVEN MORE WACKY!

"I'm working at a sex shop now Lloyd"

*cut to Harry driving a van that looks like a giant vagina*

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW

therobotking posted:

I dread to think what kind of monstrousity they'll have Harry driving around in this time. Based on the trailer it will either be the exact same dog van from the original or it will be EVEN MORE WACKY!

"I'm working at a sex shop now Lloyd"

*cut to Harry driving a van that looks like a giant vagina*

You can cross that one off your bucket list!

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
All of a sudden, I'm reminded the original film had someone drinking a bottle of urine and a 5-minute long shitter joke and I'm able to put the dusty vagina scene in a little more context.

Lets! Get! Weird!
Aug 18, 2012

Black King Bazinga
The beginning of the trailer was funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Justin Godscock posted:

All of a sudden, I'm reminded the original film had someone drinking a bottle of urine and a 5-minute long shitter joke and I'm able to put the dusty vagina scene in a little more context.

And those two gags were hilarious.

• Locked thread