Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Jesus
Feb 26, 2009

What's wrong with you? You don't even have your beer goggles on!!
Saw the movie yesterday. Getting through it was quite painful but being in a theater full of people laughing at the jokes helped. It's been a while since I've seen the original so I couldn't really pick out all the references. Jim Carrey and Jeff Daniels were good so it was a shame they had to perform such a lovely script. Most of the jokes were just cryngeworty and the little that was good got drowned in the rest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

CaptainHollywood posted:

Reading the reviews I kinda want to rewatch Dumb and Dumberer. It seems this is a beat for beat lazy remake like Hangover 2. With literal "copied" jokes and premises. For all it's faults, Dumb and Dumberer never tried to repeat jokes from Dumb and Dumber.

For as bad as Dumb and Dumberer was this scene has always stuck with me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8geLnpGmQAQ

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
Saw it on Friday and it's merely okay. The beginning of it is incredibly similar in plot and gags to the first that I wasn't having much of a good time at all but around the midpoint they introduce an idiot girl and get the plot going in fresh water and most everything improves from there. Unfortunately, it's really not as well written or well flowing as the original and too many of the "real" people are outlandish. Generally speaking the real world was the straight man to contrast their idiocy and immaturity but the retirement home woman, the second twin (but not the first), and Freida were among the people who existed at a level approaching Harry and Lloyd and I don't think that helps the comedy.

Jim Carrey still has really impressive physical comedy skills and I enjoyed his performance most of the way through. There were a few times where he delivers poorly like someone playing Jim Carrey playing Lloyd but those aren't too frequent. Jeff Daniels doesn't fare as well as most times I felt like he was trying way, way too hard but just couldn't be Harry anymore. It may just be that he's too good now acting-wise or something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBJjJEuUe6A

Total respect for someone to be paired up with Jim Carrey and still make a great character who acts within the span of a gag. I felt like that was missing for Harry in To.

Still, there's a half dozen really good gags and enough laughs peppered around, more in the second half than the first, that I felt like it was worth the time. Won't ever be considered a classic though.

Also, I totally though Dumb and Dumber was rated R. I can't think of a reason why it would be but I still would have listed it as among the best R rated comedies. :tmyk:

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

The deleted hot tub scene from Dumb and Dumber is so loving insanely dark and on many levels incredibly disturbing but man it would have made that movie 10 times what it was.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMkfOgFdCI8

It's really disappointing Jim Carrey has kind of stopped doing good movies, he's a good actor and really funny.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Nov 17, 2014

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

Hollismason posted:

The deleted hot tub scene from Dumb and Dumber is so loving insanely dark and on many levels incredibly disturbing but man it would have made that movie 10 times what it was.

It's really disappointing Jim Carrey has kind of stopped doing good movies, he's a good actor and really funny.

Hah, jesus, that's a hard bell to unring. It really doesn't fit the maturity of the characters though, where they should be talking about sex to a ten year old's understanding via Playboy. I do love that Harry is operating at that level and doesn't know what the gently caress.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Hollismason posted:

I actually really liked him in Yes Man even though it's a thematic retread of Bruce Almighty (and also 6 years old now).

He should go star in a Disney film, it did Robin Williams some good.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

computer parts posted:

I actually really liked him in Yes Man even though it's a thematic retread of Bruce Almighty (and also 6 years old now).

He should go star in a Disney film, it did Robin Williams some good.

or go the other route Robin Williams took and do Insomnia/One Hour Photo

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

MinibarMatchman posted:

or go the other route Robin Williams took and do Insomnia/One Hour Photo

Oh how easily we forget....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ElUBr6-GLU

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Saw this at noon. Better than I expected, it could have been as good as the first, if not better, if it spent more time in the oven and trimmed the fat. I felt it was stupid that she wasn't Harry or Lloyds daughter being that they acted so similar Also I don't understand if the daughter was a genius who just lacked common sense, or was just stupid, was she only giving a speech for her father and that's it?

I also can't believe that the actress that played Harrys supposed daughter was 29!

I feel people here are being too harsh on the film. It wasn't as good as the first film but I found it quite enjoyable. It's also not like the first film was some kind of masterpiece.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I dunno, to some it is. It's probably one of my favorite comedies of all time. I grew up with it, pretty much. I didn't expect this to be as good, but I was hoping it wouldn't be a beat for beat remake of the first. And thats what it was. And it's loving trash because of it.

It's an ugly, lazy, soulless piece of poo poo, and makes me even madder that Daniels and Carrey were actually trying. No one else stepped up their game. An absolute shame.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

punk rebel ecks posted:

Saw this at noon. Better than I expected, it could have been as good as the first, if not better, if it spent more time in the oven and trimmed the fat. I felt it was stupid that she wasn't Harry or Lloyds daughter being that they acted so similar Also I don't understand if the daughter was a genius who just lacked common sense, or was just stupid, was she only giving a speech for her father and that's it?

I think since she was Pee Stain's daughter, and Pee Stain was an actual friend of Harry and Lloyd, she was the daughter of yet another idiot. Just not those two idiots.

About the rest, I think the idea was the dad realized his wife was awful and sent his daughter with a honey pot and had the "Canadian" FBI follow her everywhere to catch them. So she's a total idiot and he knows it and it was all a ruse. She was never going to be a genius or be anything other than the daughter of a genius.

quote:

It's also not like the first film was some kind of masterpiece.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

punk rebel ecks posted:

Kick his rear end, Sea Bass! :argh:

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

punk rebel ecks posted:

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
I'm kind of in agreement that people are being too hard on the sequel. It wasn't even close to being as good as the original, but it never was going to be. I had very low expectations, and coming out of the movie my initial reaction was "good enough." I laughed a lot, and it was fun to spend time with the characters again. My main concern was that it would be nothing but references to the first movie, and thankfully it wasn't. In fact, with there being no SeaBass until the post credits scene, and no Harland Williams cop even though I could have sworn I read somewhere that he was in it, I actually almost felt at the end like I could have enjoyed a few more references to the first film.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

Ape Agitator posted:

Hah, jesus, that's a hard bell to unring. It really doesn't fit the maturity of the characters though, where they should be talking about sex to a ten year old's understanding via Playboy. I do love that Harry is operating at that level and doesn't know what the gently caress.

"Split you like an old piece of firewood. You'd probably like it too, ya big homo"

Kablooy
Feb 21, 2006
Why is there air?

OldSenileGuy posted:

I laughed a lot, and it was fun to spend time with the characters again.

That is what I am looking for, too. I enjoyed their antics once and even if they aren't as spry as they used to be both actors are excellent in my book.

I look forward to seeing it.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Hollismason posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMkfOgFdCI8

gaddamn, that's a really creepy scene, straight out of The Cable Guy

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
I liked this. I laughed or at the very least had a smile on my face almost every time Lloyd and Harry were on screen together, which is nearly the entire movie. (There were a few scenes where the minor characters talked with each other. Those were boring.) Most jokes worked for me. They still had great chemistry.

Unfortunately, the movie didn't have any of the charm and heart of the first one. There were many times in the original where you sympathized with them and felt sorry for Lloyd. You won't be doing that here. Forget about that. But if you're okay with your comedy being 100% pure retarded, I think you should have a good time. It's similar to Ace Ventura 2 where the plot was over the top ridiculous at every turn and impossible to take a second of it seriously, but it was hilarious because of Carrey being an over the top silly character for 1 1/2 hours. If you were entertained by Ace 2, I can't see why you wouldn't be entertained by this. I wouldn't put it near Dumb and Dumber's level but I would put it there with Ace 2.

When the opening credits started, I was nervous. I thought I might be bored the entire time and it would forever tarnish my feelings for the original. And the first 5 minutes was probably my least favorite part. I was thinking "Oh no." However I started warming up to it and I walked out satisfied. It was a fun film to watch. I'm glad I went see it.

I'm ready for Ace Ventura 3.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!
Just saw it. The whole movie is a numbers game.

I would say at least 1/3 of the jokes/premises in the movie are callbacks to jokes/plots from the first film. 80% of the time it comes off as lames.

About 1/2 the time there are new jokes and for me these landed about 3/7ths of the time.

I wouldn't say it was "bad", just merely ok. The big problem was that it essentially used the meaness of the characters from their deleted scenes in the first one. The movie crossed the wacky/silly line one too many times- in fact it kind of felt like an episode of Family Guy in some sense.

I was surprised that the "aged" aspect never affected me as much as I was expecting. The simple fact that it was literally the same movie did. I think a solid re-write by making it less like the original would have made it better.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Hollismason posted:

Well, to be fair, the zeitgeist all decided that he wasn't a good dramatic actor despite the fact that he's a really drat good dramatic actor. And his best performance and what should have been a guaranteed Oscar nomination was entirely overlooked by most. Really see I Love You Philip Morris if you haven't already.

I think Carrey's issue right now is that he's an amazing dramatic actor who nobody takes seriously and an amazing comedic actor who's over 50 years old and has lost some of his bite. What made I Love You Philip Morris so great for him is that it's a dramatic role about an absurd human being. He needs another movie like that stat. Something that combines his energy with his ability to deliver on pathos.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Yeah, that movie definitely deserves better. I guess the subject matter kind of ruined its chances for success but I still sing its praises whenever I can. Carrey is terrific in it.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Did I see someone acting like Me, Myself and Irene was a good movie earlier in this therad? It coulda been a hallucination, but I think I saw it.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

Lurdiak posted:

Did I see someone acting like Me, Myself and Irene was a good movie earlier in this therad? It coulda been a hallucination, but I think I saw it.

I like it a little. It's pretty stupid, but some parts are funny. The part where his wife gives birth to black kids and he's got this look on his face where he's trying to look happy and excited but is instead dying inside is pretty lol funny.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

It's not torturously bad or anything, but it was definitely the movie that made me realize Jim Carrey was making bad career choices.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Lurdiak posted:

It's not torturously bad or anything, but it was definitely the movie that made me realize Jim Carrey was making bad career choices.

The moment where Whitey shows up to save him at the end and goes, "ROCK 'N' ROLL!" was awesome and I won't hear different.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
I think the thing with this movie, is that Harry and Lloyd, more Lloyd than anyone just seemed really mean spirited? They were just being assholes, rather than childish, dumb people. I don't know, the tone of how they interacted with people just seemed different.

Movie was ok. For some reason (i'm childish as hell) the only line that made me laugh was when someone mentioned World Hunger and Harry said something alone the lines of 'what would the world do with all the extra poop?'.

xzoto1
Jan 18, 2010

How's life in a bigger prison, Dae-su?

henpod posted:

I think the thing with this movie, is that Harry and Lloyd, more Lloyd than anyone just seemed really mean spirited? They were just being assholes, rather than childish, dumb people. I don't know, the tone of how they interacted with people just seemed different.

Movie was ok. For some reason (i'm childish as hell) the only line that made me laugh was when someone mentioned World Hunger and Harry said something alone the lines of 'what would the world do with all the extra poop?'.

Nope, you're right. The first movie we laughed at them because they were legitimately/unintentionally stupid. This movie has them acting stupid for the sake of it.

AwkwardKnob
Dec 29, 2004

A good pun is like a good steak: A rare medium well done

Even this animated .gif made me laugh out loud alone in my apartment. The first movie is great.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

xzoto1 posted:

Nope, you're right. The first movie we laughed at them because they were legitimately/unintentionally stupid. This movie has them acting stupid for the sake of it.

The problem is that the original movie the characters were the written the exact same way -- but this was changed due to the deleted scenes/editing.

Look at the alternate (extended) ending to the original.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GlCgxm2dpo

I see it like the Farrelleys wrote the movie the same way - but did not edit it the same way. They were given much more leeway to do what they wanted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SkyEnzo
Mar 8, 2015

No time for the old in-out, love, I've just come to read the meter.
It had been a very long time for me to not be able to sit through a movie longer than ten minutes.

This movie is the ultimate cringe.

They should have retired a long time ago.

• Locked thread