Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baron of Bad News
Aug 4, 2009

What is Cybernations?

Cyber Nations is a free-to-play browser based geo-political simulator launched in 2006 that allows you to create a country and 'govern' it as you deem fit. You can interact with other players in very simple, awkwardly designed interfaces to trade or even to engage in war. There is a robust, player driven political metagame that fuels the various global conflicts between alliances of nations and blocs of alliances. In recent months the creator and administrator of Cyber Nations has ended his years long neglect of the game he made and as a result the game has seen a plethora of long overdue additions and changes that make it easier to play and less of a time sink for those of us who have stuck it out since the beginning. So if you have previously played Cyber Nations and quit because of certain features, or lack thereof, chances are that problem has been corrected in some way and I'd suggest you give this game another go.

The value you get out of it is largely dependent on what you want to do and how you choose to spend your time playing it. Whether you choose to pursue the political aspect of this game or simply to loot and pillage the countries of other players to kill time, the results are up to you. The goon alliance in Cyber Nations is very accommodating to various play styles, so if you're looking for a way to kill 15 minutes a day while at work or whether you really enjoy playing political spreadsheet simulators we will make this game tolerable for you. Our economic programs will ensure all new goon players will have a significant leg up over other players while guaranteeing you a steady income and expansion. Our short and simple academy will help you understand the finer points of spreadsheet simulating so that you may efficiently steal the resources of that pubbie jerk that had the nerve to ask you to trade with him.

Well okay, I guess I'll play. What do I do?

Use one of these referral links below and follow the simple instructions:

Umar ibn Abd al-Aziz
HajjPodge
methos
Boywunda
Ajaxify
USMC503
Niko

Registering and creating your nation is very easy. If you can't figure it out then ask in the thread. For those of you smart people who can, remember these things when signing up:
  • Be on black team. Our team color is black, and it helps coordinate trades and allows you to vote for our team senator.
  • Currency should be Dong. Don't question this. :dong:
  • Tax rate is 28%, DEFCON should be 5. This will help you collect more money early on.
  • Where you put your nation on the map is completely irrelevant so go hog wild.

this guy would later orchestrate a plot to infiltrate goons and destroy us from the inside and I bet you know how that turned out

I am now the supreme warlord HeinousButtCrimes of Otaku Prime. What next?

Congratulations! The next thing you need to do is apply to GOONS ingame and on our forums at www.cngoons.com in order to enter into our brief training seminar and receive free money. All that's required is a link to your Something Awful forum account and the ability to fill out a short form with information we need.

Once you're masked as a trainee you will be directed to the Goon Camp, and your descent into the rabbit hole will begin.

:siren: *PLEASE REMEMBER TO VOTE FOR UMAR IBN ABD AL-AZIZ FOR BLACK TEAM SENATE ONCE YOUR NATION IS 15 DAYS OLD* :siren:

For the returning bittervets: what has changed since, say 2007?

While most of the game remains largely the same, there have been changes and additions made that make this game infinitely easier to play as I mentioned earlier. For everybody's sake I will go ahead and list the major ones I can think of off the top of my head and provide a brief explanation for each:
  • :siren: YOU CAN CHANGE YOUR RESOURCES NOW :siren: - You can change your resources once per month to anything you want. This makes trading infinitely easier than it had been in the past where certain combinations were as common as unicorns. This is probably the most significant change made to date.
  • :black101: Foreign Aid caps have been DOUBLED :black101: - Instead of only receiving three million as the maximum amount of money allowed, you can now receive six million or nine million if you have the appropriate national wonder. Easily the second most important change made to date.
  • New nations now begin with 2 million in game cash - This has been upped from the previous 200k or whatever. It's still not much but still better than before.
  • New Wonders and Improvements - Completely unaffordable and useless to small nations but while they are affordable for large nations, they are still mostly useless.
  • Crime Index - Basically the Admin decided this game didn't have enough useless mechanics so he added this in. It basically is a tax drain that only affects smaller/newer nations. It can be compensated for but it's still a garbage addition that will probably annoy you but don't let it.
  • Brand New Alliance Interfaces - This new UI allows for easier management of an AA and permits individuals with the proper permissions to kick poo poo heads out of the alliance while allowing easier communication alliance-wide.
  • Temporary Inactivity Mode instead of permanent deletion - In the past, nations were deleted after 20 days of not collecting taxes, or 'inactivity'. It was increased to 25 days and recently abolished entirely. Nations in inactivity mode can be reactivated by logging in and collecting taxes. All trades and foreign aid agreements will be deleted but the nation will otherwise remain as it was before it slipped into inactivity mode. Nations that went inactive and deleted before January 14th, 2014 are gone forever.

All Growed Up Now!

I hope you found this OP useful in determining whether or not you want to play this game, and that it helped you get involved easier if you have. Veteran players of this game will be around in this thread to answer any questions you have and to provide help should you need it. While this game can seem overwhelming at first, I assure you that it is in fact very simple and easy to play. I will be keeping this thread updated and will gladly answer any questions you may have.

In addition to applying for membership on our forums, please take the time to stop by our IRC channel on irc.synirc.net in the channel #cybergoons.

Do not hesitate to ask for financial help! We have been growing into a fairly top-heavy alliance of larger nations over the last two years so there is no shortage of aid to be given to the newbies that ask for it.

Thread wouldn't be complete without a mention to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n01jXJ_VRxo
Dionysus eats dog food to re-join GOONS, winds up quitting Cybernations in shame afterwards anyway

Baron of Bad News fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Jul 27, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron of Bad News
Aug 4, 2009

*reserved*

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
I have had the pleasure of overseeing this Goonsquad for many years now. While the game has undoubtedly changed, we still making a large impact, and getting much entertainment from the denizens of the world. There is still a lot of fun to be had, for the very, very low cost of zero dollars and up to 10 minutes a month. Join up now! Stand up and be counted!

RC Bandit
Sep 7, 2012

Hanson: It's Time

Grimey Drawer

Be the bully! Join now!

USMC503
Jan 15, 2012

For satisfactory performance while under the effects of hostile enemy alcohol.
I've played this game for far longer than I'd ever like to admit and now we need all goons to join and do what we do best and destroy this game and make pubbies cry.

And ripe for tears this game is. We get all kinds of people getting mad at us and flipping out in the most hilarious fashion possible.

Also: if you suck at video games, this is the perfect game to play because everyone sucks. Literally.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

How the gently caress is this game still alive

Is RUKUNU still here or did he finally delete from inactivity

Seriously why the gently caress are you all still playing this

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

Control Volume posted:

How the gently caress is this game still alive

Is RUKUNU still here or did he finally delete from inactivity

Seriously why the gently caress are you all still playing this
Dude.

A grown rear end man ate dog food.

The mercy board continues to pay dividends.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Sardonik posted:

Dude.

A grown rear end man ate dog food.

The mercy board continues to pay dividends.

otoh it was a goon and therefore a cautionary tale against playing this game

Also unless you turned the entire forum into literally hitler then you have nothing on certain other games

RC Bandit
Sep 7, 2012

Hanson: It's Time

Grimey Drawer

Control Volume posted:

Also unless you turned the entire forum into literally hitler then you have nothing on certain other games
Have we told you the tale of how some scrub decided to get out of EoG by volunteering himself to eat cat food?

Also yeah RUKUNU did eventually deleted via inactivity.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Control Volume posted:

Nah he was a pubbie that we let in I think. But some other idiot pubbie ate cat food with out us asking to because he is probably disabled.

Regardless this game is still a gold mine if tears since the only people left are the ones who really really care.

Join now, harvest tears.

Blue Rupie
Mar 25, 2013
My tear bottle is still plentiful, join now and become swole and successful like me!

USMC503
Jan 15, 2012

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Nah he was a pubbie that we let in I think. But some other idiot pubbie ate cat food with out us asking to because he is probably disabled.

Regardless this game is still a gold mine if tears since the only people left are the ones who really really care.

Join now, harvest tears.

Nah Dio is a real goon. This guy in fact: http://forums.somethingawful.com/member.php?action=getinfo&username=Dionysus

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Anything to avoid working at work, I guess.

Edit: Applications and stuff lodged.

Mode 7 fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Jun 12, 2014

Boywunda
Jun 25, 2003

This game is simple and the more Goons that join us, the more we can piss people off.
By simple, I mean this:

Peace Time
If not collection day
    Pay Bills
    Log out
If collection day
    Pay bills
    Change some stuff to maximize collections such as
      Government type
      Threat Level
      Defcon level
      Sell some improvements
      Buy some improvements
      Sell some military
    Collect Taxes
    Change stuff back
      Sell some improvements
      Buy some improvements
      Buy some military
    Log Out

There are other activities you may do during war time, like attach nations twice a day and re-by military for the ones you lost during attacks.

The are other activities you may do when growing and buying infrastructure, such as having the correct government and improvements to minimize costs, but we have guides for that.

And there's foreign aid. Smaller nations need money to purchase various things to grow, like improvements and infrastructure. To get this money, GOONS has a program that has larger nations send the smaller nations money. Then the smaller nations uses a portion of that money to buy Technology. Being a small nation technology doesn't matter yet, so they send larger nations Technology in return for the money they received. This process is repeated every 10 days.

It's not overly complicated to run your nation. The true fun lies in the community and what we do to make others cry about how we're ruining their nation.

Boywunda fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Jun 13, 2014

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Hey, you forgot about updating your foreign aid there, Boywunda. :argh:

Foreign aid is the literal life blood of the alliance. Other alliances make you beg and beg and go without until someone decides to throw a pittance of money at you for your hard bought tech. Not goons. We've got a very robust program which we use to automagically assign people with tech trading partners, which eliminates the current most annoying peacetime activity in the game.

Other than that, CN is incredibly chill. Log in, pay bills, shoot the poo poo in IRC or on the forum, log out. During wartime, shoot number mans with your number mans and watch sperglords cry when those numbers go down. A literal 2-10 minutes a day of effort can pay some of the best returns on tears.

USMC503
Jan 15, 2012

Yes. New goons come sell me tech.

My tech level is high enough I could obliterate a new nations nation strength all the way to zero even after months of building.

If only I could attack them :( I miss raiding, but you guys can do it!!!!

P.S. Raiding is attacking new, lovely nations and making them cry because you are wrecking their poo poo and there ain't poo poo they can do about it.

Boywunda
Jun 25, 2003

neogeo0823 posted:

Hey, you forgot about updating your foreign aid there, Boywunda. :argh:

Yes, Foreign aid is a major aspect, that I neglected to mention. Tech raiding is also something I neglected to mention. Essentially, I just wanted to highlight what a typical day looks like. I've edited my post to include aid.

jumba
Sep 6, 2004

Hang in there!
Fun Shoe
Come join us so you can talk about how stupid everyone is for playing this game while playing this game.

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

I'm free of this game. FREE.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

Dilber posted:

You will never be free, it will haunt you, always.

USMC503
Jan 15, 2012

Sardonik posted:

You will never be free, it will haunt you, always.

Pretty much this. You can never forget you were once an important person in cybernations .

Slumpy
Jun 10, 2008
I played a few years ago, last thing I did before I quit was single handedly wipe out the top 3 of the facepunch group and was forced to pay reparations (which I never did), thinkin' I may come back and play.

Baron of Bad News
Aug 4, 2009

Dilber posted:

Join GOONS.

USMC503
Jan 15, 2012

So I got fired from being FA :x

THANKS COMRADEMILTON.

if you're even a goon.

JamezBfod
Jun 13, 2003

there may be people who
find a blender sexy - I
would do well with a more
humanoid model, myself
What is the current number of active players?

Comrade Milton
Jul 16, 2005

USMC503 posted:

THANKS COMRADEMILTON.

if you're even a goon.

i live to serve. :911:

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

JamezBfod posted:

I'm kind of surprised this is still going, but I guess there's probably a good deal of overlap between people who have stuck it out this long and people who are willing to spend cash on their nations. God knows how much money the admin has made off of a decade of lovely coding and sperg-enabling.

Comrade Milton
Jul 16, 2005
as to how many active users, i've recently heard an estimate of about 10,000.

Epinephrine
Nov 7, 2008

JamezBfod posted:

From the server: Serving 1 to 40 of 10,071 Nations.

Caveat: unlike the good old days when men were men, berzerkers were useful, and goons were low-NS scrubs, admin no longer deletes nations for inactivity. And no one (to my knowledge) has figured out yet if that number 10,071 now counts the number of extant nations or the number of active ones or only the ones who've subscribed to the CN facebook page or whatever. So its either about 10,000 or less than that (or more than that?).

LemonRind
Apr 26, 2010

CEO OF FUNHAVER ENTERPRISES
Ask me about making YOUR thread suck less!
One of the few things I remember from this game was how it's global radiation level needed to be capped before the world was turned into a permanent neon sign post in space. Is it still capped or has it somehow managed to go down?

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you...

Yams Fan
Oh god you guys still play CyberNations? There's still people that play CyberNations?

Can I get a tl;dr of the last 3 years?

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

KingShibby posted:

Oh god you guys still play CyberNations? There's still people that play CyberNations?

Can I get a tl;dr of the last 3 years?

How tl;dr are we talking here? Some wars were fought, most, if not all of them won on our side. I wasn't really paying attention. The game had a few neat features added to it, like being able to change your resources, an xp system, some new improvements and wonders. Some guy ate dog food for us for some reason, which was funny. We made good strides toward automating our nation evaluation and tech pairing abilities. You don't have to sign into roll calls anymore, and as long as you're not an inactive gently caress, you get paired with goons who are similarly not inactive fucks so you can easily trade tech for money.

So tl;dr of the tl;dr: poo poo got smoother, stuff happened, pubbies still produce tears, come chill with us.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you...

Yams Fan
So literally nothing has changed. I've come and gone since the days of The Initiative. Wars and alliances come-and-go in cycles, drama and lulz never change. I have about 10-15min a day free, so why not. Someone approve my application tia

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I played this right when it launched and managed to score Most Oppressive on that weekly high score list. That's my story, thanks for reading.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Who of the old AAs still exist in this game? NPO, NpO, GATO, LUE, Legion, TPA, ODN, GPA, obviously GOONS, a dozen others I'm forgetting? It's been one heck of a long time. I remember the Unjust War being the last thing I saw, I think?

PTizzle
Oct 1, 2008
Been a long time since I've played this, I'm fairly broke already. Should I just always keep building (apart from tech early on) regardless?

Good fun reading the CN wiki - a lot of the wars seem to just end with mass account deletions out of rage.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

PTizzle posted:

Been a long time since I've played this, I'm fairly broke already. Should I just always keep building (apart from tech early on) regardless?

We have a program set up to maximize growth between the three different stages of life in this game.

You start out as a chubby little goon kid. As a chub, your goal is to raid similarly small nations for their tech, buy your own tech, and sell said tech to our larger nations. Once you've accumulated enough money, you can transition into the training phase for being a larger nation. As a trans nation, you'll be tasked with raiding medium weight nations to gain tech and money until you're big enough to pupate into a Homegroan goon. Once you're that size, you'll be the heavy hitter in the alliance, tasked with dogpiling bigger nations and knocking them down into the waiting jaws of the smaller ranks, as well as buying up all the tech you can get your grubby paws on so that you can be even more powerful.

There is one tier beyond that, but it's pretty small and thus unnamed. We don't tend to fight in that tier, and the only advantages are being able to buy a few specific wonders and having enough improvement slots available to buy all of those.

Blue Rupie
Mar 25, 2013

The Shortest Path posted:

Who of the old AAs still exist in this game? NPO, NpO, GATO, LUE, Legion, TPA(TPE?), ODN, GPA, obviously GOONS, a dozen others I'm forgetting? It's been one heck of a long time. I remember the Unjust War being the last thing I saw, I think?

See above for the eliminated factions.

PTizzle posted:

Good fun reading the CN wiki - a lot of the wars seem to just end with mass account deletions out of rage.

It get's worse. We dug out a goldmine twice.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
You fuckers are still around?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron of Bad News
Aug 4, 2009

JT Jag posted:

You fuckers are still around?

Yep, though I may be banned soon! So there's that.

• Locked thread