Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Yoshi Jjang posted:

Crepuscular - to be active during twilight (dawn or dusk), as opposed to diurnal or nocturnal

Like a cat.

Garret - floor consisting of open space at the top of a house just below roof; often used for storage.

Greave - Armor plate that protects legs below the knee.

Obstreperous - noisy and difficult to control.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

ablution: A wash.

ax: Axe.

bloviate: To speak pompously.

corpuscle: A minute particle.

fungous: Fungus-like.

qi: Mystical energy.

striation: Scratches or grooves.

za: An abbreviation for pizza.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW
"Skylark".

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

jumentous: smelling like horse urine

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

pusillanimous - to be a coward-rear end nigga

pulchritudinous - to be a fine-rear end nigga

JWFIV
Apr 8, 2009
Tittle - The dot above the lower case letters "i" and "j".

Farmdizzle
May 26, 2009

Hagel satan
Grimey Drawer
Bruxism - Grinding of the teeth.

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

palaver - a conference or discussion, profuse and idle talk; chatter

abscond - to depart in a sudden and secret manner, especially to avoid capture and legal prosecution

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
Whores - Prostitutes.

It's mostly because of the pronunciation.

Yoshi Jjang
Oct 5, 2011

renard renard renarnd renrard

renard

Mumpsimus - A person who adheres to traditions, beliefs, or usage of language (incorrect or archaic) that is unwilling to change despite being corrected.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Vermin Tanager posted:

Obfuscate - to confuse or bewilder

Couple that with another obscure word and you have one of my favorite phrases. The word is eschew and the phrase is eschew obsfucation.

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/eschew

I always thought it was clever because the phrase is only ever used to deliberately confuse people and is, in and of itself, a confusing phrase because few people know what those words mean. Eschew itself is also a pretty cool word.

I'm also extremely fond of thrice for some reason. It's kind of archaic and I almost never hear anybody else use it but it's a good word and extremely useful. Basically, it means "three times," like twice but three. Once, twice, thrice.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

VendaGoat posted:

Whores - Prostitutes.

It's mostly because of the pronunciation.

I read the novelization of Robocop 2 as a kid and the writer had apparently only ever heard the word spoken. Or he was Danish. I was very confused about all the "hores" running around Detroit.

DrSnakeLaser
Sep 6, 2011

Susurrus- A whispering, rustling sound.

Maudlin- mawkish and overly sentimental.

Kerfuffle- a problem, a fuss or commotion.

I did learn this from Castlevania, but I do quite like Granfalloon.

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale

Hellequin posted:

A plethora of resplendent lexicography

If demand calls for it, I could likely perform another jaunt or two through the alphabet.

Please do, this was a fantastic post.

apparatus: n., a complex machine or instrument, either literal or figurative

awry: adv., crookedly, askew; improperly

sibilance: n., hissing. Also commonly seen in the adjectival form, sibilant.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Obfuscate is also my favorite obscure word, gently caress you whoever beat me to it :argh:

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
I never get to use the word barometer.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
Bombastic - marked by or given to bombast : pompous, overblown

Opabinia
Dec 21, 2011

Your Burgess Shale buddy!
Flinders - small fragments or splinters.

Pingo - cone-shaped hills with hearts of ice pushed up by hydrostatic pressure in an area of permafrost.

Friendly Smiling
Sep 22, 2010

Hellequin posted:

Dasypygal, (From the Greek δασύς "dense, hairy" + πυγή "buttock".) adj. Having a hairy buttocks. A useful way of naming someone an "rear end in a top hat" when circumstances dictate you unable to use the coarser word.

Thank you! I've already used this on twain occasions.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Riffraff: disreputable persons; trash.

Brouhaha: an event that causes excitement or confusion.

My high school alma mater used a much more obscure version of the word quail, where it means to lose courage.

B.H. Facials
May 9, 2011

"Getting teased is part of growing up. It's no big deal. Just tell yourself, 'Sticks and stones may break my bones, but a .44 Magnum will tear that bully a new asshole!'"
Discombobulate: To throw someone into a state of confusion.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil

Average Bear posted:

Eimgae - greeting used by French nobles in England around the 14th century C.E.

One Swell Foop
Aug 5, 2010

I'm afraid we have no time for codes and manners.
The late Iain (M) Banks was the author of a great series of science fiction books about an advanced society called The Culture. One or two of the books feature a breakoff sect that reject the aims and morals of the Culture and separated in search of alternative social paths, called the Zetetic Elench. For years I thought the name was just made-up SciFi nonsense until someone pointed out:

Zetetic: seeking knowledge, moving ahead by inquiry
Elench: the key point on which an argument is based; a refutation.

also:

Scrimshaw - carvings made on bone with a knife, often made by whalers on whalebones
Palimpsest - a document or page whose original text has been erased and written over (or the erased text itself)
Rip-rap - stones used to protect rivers and shorelines from erosion
Prognathous - having jaws that jut out

One Swell Foop has a new favorite as of 05:24 on Jun 18, 2014

Farmdizzle
May 26, 2009

Hagel satan
Grimey Drawer
Hallux - technical term for your big toe.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
This thread has proven to be a perfectly cromulent way to embiggen my vocabulary.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
So that my contribution to this thread isn't just a bad macro:

palpebra - eyelid
palpebrate - to wink

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
I love the word maundering--meaning gibbering or mumbling nonsense to oneself.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I once spent a week laughing at the word "bantling".

Bantling - a small child

Seriously, just say it out loud. Bantling. Maybe it's just my accent, but it's hilarious.

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice
I've always loved having an opportunity to use...

Morass - situation that traps, confuses, or impedes <a legal morass> b:  an overwhelming or confusing mass or mixture <amorass of traffic jams>

Also, a term that I've found far too few reasons to use in casual conversation...

Teledildonics (also known as "cyberdildonics") are electronic sex toys that can be controlled by a computer to enable the human user to reach orgasm. Promoters of these devices have claimed since the 1980s they are the "next big thing" in cybersex technology.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
From QI:
Jentacular, 'relating to breakfast'. Crumpets are a jentacular food.

Mouth-friend, to falsely claim someone is your friend. Which should be used way, way more often than it is, because that's the most useful unused word ever.

The end-bulbs of Krause, which are the microscopic bumps on the skin that sense temperature. The most badass name for anything on the body.

And not from QI, but I've always liked the sound of the word and derived my username from it,
Clerisy, a synonym for intelligentsia; the smartest people in society. I presume it's not often used because you can't describe someone as being part of it without a bolt of lightning immediatley striking dramatically behind them.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
Kalopsia - The delusion of things seeming more beautiful than they actually are.

Also this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GWHcvYcg3Y

Yoshi Jjang
Oct 5, 2011

renard renard renarnd renrard

renard

Lethologica - the state in which you cannot remember a word you're thinking of, at the tip of your tongue

I found this word to be so important in my life that I never get lethologica when I want to say the word lethologica. :unsmith:

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Only because of the strangely hilarious alliterative sound made, but the name of the device used to increase blood pressure in your arm when you are getting blood taken from it is a sphygmomanometer

Alpacalips Now
Oct 4, 2013
palaver - to talk unnecessarily and at length

onanism - masturbation, or pulling out before an orgasm

eschatology - branch of theology concerned with the final events of the world or humankind

Medieval Medic
Sep 8, 2011
Cromulent. As in, this word is perfectly cromulent.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
circumlocutory - using many words where fewer would do, especially in a deliberate attempt to be vague or evasive; long-winded.

Neige
Mar 20, 2006

Pregnant Woman got pepper sprayed and kicked in the stomach? That ugly bitch was asking for it.
The following words I have used in forum discussions and drew reactions of "what the hell does that mean"? Someone got LMGTFY with the significance of patently. Recommended for anyone who aspires to pretentiousness.

Patently: that which is obvious to all, clearly obvious

Obdurate: Stubborn, usually associated with bad habits. I've heard it defined as "consistently impenitent".

Inchoate: still nascent; often used with something that builds into something grand, as with a crescendo.

free basket of chips
Sep 7, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Wewe - An ugly female ghost with drooping breasts

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Chthonic: Of or pertaining to the underworld

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marcus Tullius
Oct 21, 2008
Contrafibularities - Fake, pretend, or sarcastic congratulations. Contra - against, fibula the smaller bone in the lower leg. I.e. pulling someone's leg.

Anaspeptic - Nausea. Ana - Back/Up, peptic - relating to the stomach.

Frasmotic - A portmanteau of frazzled and spasmodic

Compunctuous - Having a bad conscience at hurting someone, whilst still despising them. A blend of compunctious and contemptuous

Pericombobulation - The confusion caused by talking to a more quick-witted person than you. peri around, and discombobulation.

Red Suit posted:

Wewe - An ugly female ghost with drooping breasts

• Locked thread