Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

house of cards is basically a really cynical 2010s reboot of west wing. if you want to watch a show about realistic politicians/politics go watch veep

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW
The brits have a more humorous take on politics called "the thick of it". Check it out if you're looking for other shows involving government work.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

BigBoss posted:

Yeah! Plus I think that maybe John Cena and Randy Orton don't actually hate each other. I think the matches are fixed and they aren't really trying to hurt one another!

drat you could defend pretty much any lovely show using this logic. you realize that, right?

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Orange is the New Black isn't terrible, but people are bothered by how relentlessly Kohan subverts the Hero's Journey bullshit. As of the second season, every single heroic arc has been shat on save for Red's, maybe. Piper's story is the whole series in a nutshell.
The series is entirely meant to poop on everyone's ideas of how prison shows should go. Kohan isn't saying "gently caress you" necessarily, but she is aggressively questioning why anyone would want to live in a prison with guards and women inmates. People die horribly because that's what would happen. And the ones that don't die get morally or emotionally compromised.
also it's got some pretty good commentary on how people in power don't give a poo poo about the powerless, revenge is pointless, and religions are insane.
the right way to watch the show is to expect horrible things to happen to everyone, and then be pleasantly surprised when something good happens for someone on rare occasions.

old-timey newspaper gal
Feb 23, 2005
Wow how has nobody mentioned that OiTNB has captain janeway in it except she got kinda fat. This is a huge factor of why I watch the show whenever I see her character I imagine she got so lost in the Delta Quadrant that somehow she ended up in a lesbian jail and she's still trying to get back to her starship.

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW

Hot Jam posted:

Wow how has nobody mentioned that OiTNB has captain janeway in it except she got kinda fat. This is a huge factor of why I watch the show whenever I see her character I imagine she got so lost in the Delta Quadrant that somehow she ended up in a lesbian jail and she's still trying to get back to her starship.

In the final episode, Chakotay shows up and it turns out everything was just a spirit quest.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Alan Smithee posted:

Does Jenji No Laughs just use mad libs to write scripts

i watched weeds. never again jeni, never again

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

oitb >>> oz

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax

Benedick Cuckold posted:

drat you could defend pretty much any lovely show using this logic. you realize that, right?

Yes, because I am an adult and I realize television is make-believe.

even the news :getin:

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

BigBoss posted:

Yes, because I am an adult and I realize television is make-believe.

even the news :getin:

ok

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
a contrarian opinion???? in gbs??? :nignog:

p.crestmont
Feb 17, 2012

Hot Jam posted:

Ok I might keep watching it now, thanks!

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
It needs more nudity.

a creepy colon
Oct 28, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Toad on a Hat posted:

a contrarian opinion???? in gbs??? :nignog:

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

Hot Jam posted:

might give it a try now

midnightclimax posted:

In the final episode, Chakotay shows up and it turns out everything was just a spirit quest.

will definitely give it a try now

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.
I heard OitNB is excessively rapey so haven't really checked it out. I know a bunch of people who go loving crazy about it though.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Bastastic posted:

are any of the netflix series except lilyhammer actually good?

I can't remember any show I've seen that was worse than Lilyhammer. Maybe Sanctuary? That poo poo was pretty bad, but I don't know if it was Lilyhammer bad.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
I met a gay guy at a wedding reception a couple months ago and he told me I reminded him of Taylor Schilling. He meant it as a compliment, but maybe I should feel insulted instead.

rezatahs
Jun 9, 2001

by Smythe
there is a lot of rape but most of it is lesbian so i guess its ok? idk what the gay rules are

Who Is Paul Blart
Oct 22, 2010
Women will literally watch anything that stars other women.

Bread Dragon
Apr 7, 2012
best OITNB is the one where Adibisi is eye-loving that young italian guy the whole time and dancing outside his cell at night, getting into his head. before he rapes him in the kitchen. then the italian guy's mafia outfit disowns him b/c he got raped by an african dude.

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

netflix original shows aren't very good but they've got nothing on the stuff hulu puts out

Doppelganger
Oct 11, 2002

Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger

rezatahs posted:

there is a lot of rape but most of it is lesbian so i guess its ok? idk what the gay rules are
Who gets raped?

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

:yum: - hi
It's probably enjoyable to watch if you aren't intentionally critical.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
It's a good show but nerds hate it because it has minorities.

sex excellence
Feb 19, 2011

Satisfaction Guranteed
i also hate how it hamhandedly shoves down 'hey this is how prison REALLY works see its just people working together and being realistic and crative about things did your expections TOTALLY get turned around :smug:'

jenji kohan then fingers her clit to the thought of you nodding slowly or going 'oh thats how it must really be wow they really treat these prisoners badly wow solitary is some real bad poo poo :anime:'

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Ocean Book posted:

Yes, it's very important to not try to think about the media we consume because

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost

Doppelganger posted:

Who gets raped?

common sense

Doppelganger
Oct 11, 2002

Ocean Book posted:

I'm a something awful poster. I find this critically acclaimed television sensation to be entirely predictable and wholly contrived. Twaaa....

tiananman
Feb 6, 2005
Non-Headkins Splatoma

I didn't realize this lady did weeds too. The shows both suffer from having a premise that's way more interesting than the plots she can hang on them for more than 5 minutes. Her characters have no depth either.

"When in doubt: titties" isn't a bad fall-back mechanism though.

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

:yum: - hi

Pththya-lyi posted:

Yes, it's very important to not try to think about the media we consume because

There's a difference between 'engaging intellectually with the concepts a show presents' and 'reflexively disliking something because a lot of other people like it and if you dislike something they like it means you have better taste (and are thus a better person) than them'.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Skeleton King posted:

fingers her clit

How do you finger a clit?

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Ocean Book posted:

There's a difference between 'engaging intellectually with the concepts a show presents' and 'reflexively disliking something because a lot of other people like it and if you dislike something they like it means you have better taste (and are thus a better person) than them'.

Ah, I thought you meant "critical" as in "analytical," not "critical" as in "out to hate." I agree with you, FWIW.

uG
Apr 23, 2003

by Ralp
there are no intellectual concepts in oitnb because the entire show is premised on the fact that a jail/prison isnt full of nut jobs/mentally ill that will constantly do irrational things for imagined/no reason at all

Doppelganger
Oct 11, 2002

uG posted:

there are no intellectual concepts in oitnb because the entire show is premised on the fact that a jail/prison isnt full of nut jobs/mentally ill that will constantly do irrational things for imagined/no reason at all
Lol yeah, everyone in prison is just a nut. I love having a flawless justice system.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

uG posted:

Everything has a message, no matter how stupid. It just so happens that stupid stuff has stupid messages.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks

tiananman posted:

I didn't realize this lady did weeds too. The shows both suffer from having a premise that's way more interesting than the plots she can hang on them for more than 5 minutes. Her characters have no depth either.

"When in doubt: titties" isn't a bad fall-back mechanism though.

the 2nd season has the original depth-building device of every episode focusing on a character and flashing back to their past lol

rezatahs
Jun 9, 2001

by Smythe

Doppelganger posted:

Who gets raped?

all sex in prison is rape

a creepy colon
Oct 28, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Doppelganger posted:

Lol yeah, everyone in prison is just a nut. I love having a flawless justice system.

not all but most

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sex excellence
Feb 19, 2011

Satisfaction Guranteed

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

How do you finger a clit?

let me show you

• Locked thread