Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hexa
Dec 10, 2004

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom
Predicting a twist where it turns out there's more than one Alien.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom

Xenomrph posted:

Probably worth pointing out that despite the (totally valid) complaints in the gameinformer article, the author went on to say that it is in fact a good game based on what he'd played.

Weird, I thought he said that it is in fact a game with good atmosphere but frustrating mechanics based on what he'd played.

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

Xenomrph posted:

Reading comprehension is harrrdddddd. :saddowns:

And it's easy enough to pick another quote from the same article which backs up exactly what I said.

I eagerly await your essay in response.

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

Xenomrph posted:

I guess for me, a lot of those nitpicks and broken promises are hardly dealbreakers. They're unfortunate, and they hold the game back from being as good as it could be. I guess we'll see how the game turns out.

And this is the problem. As much as everyone else in this thread loves the design and look revealed so far, as has pretty much every person who's played a preview, the actual game mechanics are dealbreakers.

I used to be a massive Aliens/Predator dork when I was a teenager, enough to rival your zealotry. I still have bits of my collection at home. I built an AVP mod for Quake with a mate, even trying to imitate the design of the Nostromo as much as we could back then. I'd love to be surprised by this game but there has been nothing to suggest that the game will vary massively from the complaints already levelled at it and has been suggested above, it's probably already gone gold.

I had to build some lovely Flash games for a Unilever kids site once and the designers had put together the design for one of the games - the user had to assemble an object in the right way and in the right order. A single mistake sent them back to the beginning. I had to point out that, after doing the maths, there were something like 40,000+ ways of failing the game and only one correct path. People don't want to play a game where you have to brute force your way through a problem like that because it's not a game, it's just frustration with graphics.

From that one particular preview it doesn't seem that Isolation is that much different - except that it has scripted cutscenes to delay you even further from overcoming each obstacle.

• Locked thread