Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
People who refuse to vote because they dislike the system deserve the poo poo government they get, voter apathy is basically the only reason the republican party holds any kind of power anymore hth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

No. 6 posted:

I've never met someone who votes right-wing and can hold down a reasonable conversation about politics. It always degrades into nebulous talking points that have no proof or fact behind it. Most GOPers seems to vote based on any mix of what they're told, what they're feeling, and what they've always done.

Holy poo poo yes, it's usually based on imagined fears and prejudices thinly veiled behind MY MONEY and responsibility.

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

Luvcow posted:

Did you know a small percentage of republicans aren't racist?

Nope. Not even one.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Alexzandvar posted:

People who refuse to vote because they dislike the system deserve the poo poo government they get, voter apathy is basically the only reason the republican party holds any kind of power anymore hth

i do vote but people who vote and believe they are doing anything but pissing into the wind are delusional. voting is a mournful activity. do it as an excuse to reflect on how meaningless american democracy is and how bad the two party system is

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Reporting for shovel mission Sir.

THS posted:

i do vote but people who vote and believe they are doing anything but pissing into the wind are delusional. voting is a mournful activity. do it as an excuse to reflect on how meaningless american democracy is and how bad the two party system is

How does anything happen then? Magic? Rigged? All the votes are tossed out and replaced with the pre-determined result?

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.

Yeah whatever. The important thing in the thread is how many asses is that? Does it count as two asses side by side, or does it count as three because there's three cracks? The latter seems unfair, because you count the middle two cheeks twice to make up a third rear end. M.C.Escher couldn't figure that rear end out.

This is way harder than voting.

Who Is Paul Blart
Oct 22, 2010

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

redshirt posted:

How does anything happen then? Magic? Rigged? All the votes are tossed out and replaced with the pre-determined result?

the guy with the best pr and most money wins

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Outlaw campaign ads and give each candidate a PDF document that they upload to a .gov website.

The penalty for disobedience of this rule is death by nationally televised execution

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

redshirt posted:

it's an oligarchy, the term "empire" to describe the united states is academic at this point

http://www.princeton.edu/~mgilens/G...es%203-7-14.pdf

the real way to vote is donating and lobbyists. there are plenty of studies that show that a normal citizen's opinions mean little in our democracy. if there isn't money behind it, it doesn't matter

when our country is an empire run by oligarchs and wealthy interests, i dont think the choice is meaningful, ultimately

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

like how can anyone look at gerrymandering, the electoral system, how campaign financing works, the lobbying system, private/public revolving door, and the possibility of bush>clinton>bush>clinton and conclude this is sustainable and is working well in the face of climate change and massive public disillusionment + unprecedented disapproval of our elected legislature

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
somehow the internet isn't helping either lol

"Oh yeah the digital age of communication is TOTALLY gonna change the way we organize!"

not if everyone's still a bunch of lazy idiot fuckers it isn't

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

give the reins of the state to reddit imho

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Frankenstyle posted:

Yeah whatever. The important thing in the thread is how many asses is that? Does it count as two asses side by side, or does it count as three because there's three cracks? The latter seems unfair, because you count the middle two cheeks twice to make up a third rear end. M.C.Escher couldn't figure that rear end out.

This is way harder than voting.

poo poo I thought it was a pumpkin

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
remember that oldGBS thread where goons wanted to start the bull moose party again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdaM5Mv-TTo

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

SniperWoreConverse posted:

remember that oldGBS thread where goons wanted to start the bull moose party again

I thought they wanted a moose and squirrel party.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
voting is my favorite farce because i get a sticker

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
i bet if you put on the glasses from They Live, the I Voted stickers actually read I'm a chump bitch

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

redshirt posted:

Did they find out we gave Syria to Russia?

Or that the girls are still missing?

What other fresh Republican insights are there to be had?

benchagesezei

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Bolow posted:

The only political system that works is a benevolent dictatorship imho
You know say what you will about the Romans, but the Empire was much better than the Republic for a good while.

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien

paranoid randroid posted:

voting is my favorite farce because i get a sticker

Jury duty

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
ive been on a jury, they didnt give me a loving sticker. 0/5 would not perform civic duty again.

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

:burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug:

paranoid randroid posted:

ive been on a jury, they didnt give me a loving sticker. 0/5 would not perform civic duty again.

civic duty is for idiots and white people

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Reporting for shovel mission Sir.

THS posted:

like how can anyone look at gerrymandering, the electoral system, how campaign financing works, the lobbying system, private/public revolving door, and the possibility of bush>clinton>bush>clinton and conclude this is sustainable and is working well in the face of climate change and massive public disillusionment + unprecedented disapproval of our elected legislature

Let's just talk competence/incompetence then. Let that be the metric.

The Republican Party has been almost entirely incompetent in both running the government and attempting to run the government since at least 1992.

Sure, there are corporate bought democrats, and democrats with single agendas, and grifters, and idiots, etc, but there is also a common reliance on fact, consensus, and competence. If nothing else, modern Democrats will at least ensure the orderly operation of any specific government, and you cannot rely on a Republican for that any longer.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

if I won the lottery I would find all the people who didn't vote in left-friendly areas, sift through them for the biggest group who'd actually hang together and set them up to network with each other and make the backbone of a new independent party, subsidizing the costs of doing all that poo poo and making sure they get to the polls. voting is definitely not sufficient on its own but it's clearly still necessary for actual change to the system or else the richies wouldn't put so much effort into voter ID and other means of disenfranchisement, so leveraging the demoralized with a party of their own and agreeable if otherwise conventional voters together would probably work a lot better than most would think.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
If Republicans took all three branches of government it would be like North Carolina times 50.

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Jun 13, 2014

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

If Republicans took all three branches of government it would be like North Carolina times 50.

Won't ever happen, republicans "gerrymander and polarize" strategy works only on state levels not national ones, if congress was based on votes then the democrats would control the house and the senate.

Once Hillary is done with her two terms we will probably get more liberal candidates at time goes on, as more people become accepting of things like gay marriage the only people who will vote pro corporate will be retarded libertarians. The average GOP voter dislikes corporations as much as everyone else but they are retarded and vote based on single issues like gun control/abortion/gay marriage.

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

:burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug:

Alexzandvar posted:

The average GOP voter dislikes corporations as much as everyone else

the think is, i don't think that's true. at least not from what i see

everybody talking about job creators and poo poo

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

A misanthrope posted:

the think is, i don't think that's true. at least not from what i see

everybody talking about job creators and poo poo

Yeah, but they also want less money in politics and less tax breaks for corporations. Most of the time though people who earnestly believe in job creator bullshit have adopted some sort of libertarian dogma.

in conclusion Rand and Ron paul can suck my dick, enjoy everlasting irrelevance.

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot

redshirt posted:

modern Democrats will at least ensure the orderly operation of any specific government

I learned something new, I learned that there are people that believe this haha, right here online

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

No. 6 posted:

Find your red flags.

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
STOP QUOTING MY POSTS SO PEOPLE THAT AREN'T IDIOTS DON'T HAVE TO READ MY FUCKING TERRIBLE OPINIONS THANKS

redshirt posted:

Sure, there are corporate bought democrats, and democrats with single agendas, and grifters, and idiots, etc, but there is also a common reliance on fact, consensus, and competence.

hahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahhahaha

Momplestiltskin
Jan 15, 2014

Got any extra firstborns?
Every politician is a corrupt rear end in a top hat. Some are also really stupid. The Dems tend to have fewer stupid ones, so I see redshirt's point. At least they mostly accept climate science and tend to think that education is a thing that should vaguely sometimes be supported.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

im starting to respect republicans more than democrats. at least repubs dont act like they arent voting for a bunch of evil shitheads

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

in other words like south carolina

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
STOP QUOTING MY POSTS SO PEOPLE THAT AREN'T IDIOTS DON'T HAVE TO READ MY FUCKING TERRIBLE OPINIONS THANKS

babypolis posted:

im starting to respect republicans more than democrats. at least repubs dont act like they arent voting for a bunch of evil shitheads

this

fygm > "voted for team blue, gently caress off homeless people"

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
lol yeah lets burn the entire country to the ground by putting retarded libertarians who don't know how economics work and people who don't believe in science in charge that will show those evil liberals!

pogue23
Aug 15, 2002

Son, I am disappoint.
I vote my conscience and it's donkey-flavored.

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013

Alexzandvar posted:

lol yeah lets burn the entire country to the ground

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tweet Me Balls
Apr 14, 2009

Alexzandvar posted:

lol yeah lets burn the entire country to the ground by putting retarded libertarians who don't know how economics work and people who don't believe in science in charge

accelerationism ftw

• Locked thread