Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

-Atom- posted:

Don't get me wrong I'm not saying it's an emphatic win for Schaub or anything

I had it 30-29 for Schaub.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Checked my scorecard for Arlovski-Schaub and all I see is a doodle of myself dangling from a noose

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.
Far and away the best part of the card was Joe Rogan demonstrating a pre-enlightenment understanding of physics. Part of the reason Woodley looked so lost out there was his poorly balanced humours.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
presser is about to start

god kill me

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
Guess Dana didn't like this card, he's not doing the post-fight presser.

Shoota_McG
Sep 8, 2004
I thought the card was decent, only real stinker was Arlovski-Schaub but man the Vancouver crowd sucked. They booed for pretty much all of the main card and people started leaving after the first round of the main event.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything
The undercard really did shine. Short of the Phillips and Easton fight, things were poppin.

MacDougall
Apr 21, 2008

Definitely Australian

-Atom- posted:

The undercard really did shine. Short of the Phillips and Easton fight, things were poppin.

Did you say those names because you didn't want to risk misspelling the names of the actual winners?

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

MacDougall posted:

Did you say those names because you didn't want to risk misspelling the names of the actual winners?

...maybe

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Well, that was a fairly low quality card, but it had its moments. Nice kimura/chicken wing by St Preux. I had to explain to my pals what was going on, but god drat did that look painful. As soon as the hand passes to the back you're basically hosed unless you roll instantly.

Arlovski vs Shaub was terrible, and how the gently caress did Arlovski win? I mean, neither guy really won, and I really hate Shaub, but that was still all-around bad.

Rory looked loving amazing. Woodly had nothing for him, he couldn't even keep his own back off the fence. Rory completely controlled the range (except for the leg kicks from Tyron) and was mixing it up very nicely; Woodly looked confused and overwhelmed the whole time. I'm surprised Rory was able to pull this off, and I wouldn't even mind him fighting for the belt off this.

Main event was good. Mighty Mouse is fast, still. Ali tried, but failed. Not much else to say.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

colonel_korn posted:

Watching this fight just reminds me of how brutally Sergei knocked AA out and makes me wish he was in the UFC and doing the same to Schaub right now.

I saw that live and I kinda wish something equivalent happened again

Bundt Cake posted:

Big john should grab them by the backs of their heads and knock them together, except they havent been close enough for that to happen for ten minutes

lmao

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Man, Matt Hume is great.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

fatherdog posted:

Man, Matt Hume is great.

I really like the quick interview he did during the prelims. They really need to use him for more hype work.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Jesus christ. Johnson is SO fast. It really is absurd.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Bundt Cake posted:

maybe i had how good feijao was distorted in my mind like i did masvidal

You could easily think Masvidal was better than he was based on his potential. I'm really at a loss about how you could think Feijao was good unless you somehow also thought King Mo was good, and that would be ridiculous

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Brendan Schaub stinks and only won the 1st round. 2nd round might as well have been a draw, and he lost the 3rd by getting a takedown, throwing 30 strikes, landing none, and getting cut up and his jaw broken by Arlovski from the bottom. Like how the gently caress do you get outstruck by Andrei Arlovski from top position?

I really hope Rory fights Matt Brown at some point because it's clear that he can only win fights where the other guy can't deal with his jab and gets wrestled or trapped against the fence. He doesn't deal with pressure well at all and Matt is like an unkillable Carlos Condit.

I am shocked that Ryan Bader has been fighting as long as he has and continues to move his head and feet like a spaz. Even tonight he still had a tendency to lead into combos with his head. It didn't matter though because he mauled Feijao with those knees.

Mighty Mouse is real good at fighting but needs Chael to teach him how to hype fights because Joe gave him a great opportunity to call his next title defense and he just gave the same chicken poo poo answer every fighter gives.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

Dr. Abysmal posted:

Korean fighters are pretty cool.

i agree

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
I thought Schaub won all three rounds, but at the same time was not seriously aggrieved by the decision. (other than it marring an otherwise flawless GGP performance)

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

1st AD posted:

I really hope Rory fights Matt Brown at some point because it's clear that he can only win fights where the other guy can't deal with his jab and gets wrestled or trapped against the fence. He doesn't deal with pressure well at all and Matt is like an unkillable Carlos Condit.

Carlos Condit is already an unkillable Carlos Condit, it's just that Matt Brown's defense is bad enough that he gets in a lot more situations where he rightfully should be killed

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Pay no attention to me, for I am a stupid cunt.
Not posted anywhere in the thread but

Fight of the Night: Tae Hyun Bang vs. Kajan Johnson
Performance of the Night: Tae Hyun Bang and Kiichi Kunimoto

Good on the korean

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Brendan Schaub is a dingus, let's just be grateful he was kicked in the dick and lost

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

fatherdog posted:

Jesus christ. Johnson is SO fast. It really is absurd.

FWIW (probably nothing) a few years ago my friend who is a little bitter about not having taken some of the chances he had in his fighting career, and who particularly doesn't like Matt Hume, was talking with a bunch of people about the guys they knew from the local scene who were in the ufc, which basically boiled down to John Albert and Mighty Mouse. I learned was that Mighty Mouse was a legit nickname that everybody called him, and its confusing to them when hes called Demetrious Johnson. ALso they all started together at a Vision Quest gym, I think the one in the Supermall in Auburn. Also my friend was a little loathe to compliment mm, basically he was like He's not so great, I could beat him (my friend fought at 185 and is honest to god one of the biggest people ive ever met), but he did like a double take and was like, He's really fast, though. He begrudgingly gave the comment but the fact it came past the jealousy stuck with me. Then another dude explained he'd go in and MM would be on the treadmill, and he'd do his whole work out, bjj boxing and cardio, and when he left MM would still be running. and this was all way before he was in the UFC, and I think before he hooked up with Hume, too. Anyway OKAY just a conversation I was privvy to years ago.

Bundt Cake fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Jun 15, 2014

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Bundt Cake posted:

Then another dude explained he'd go in and MM would be on the treadmill, and he'd do his whole work out, bjj boxing and cardio, and when he left MM would still be running. and this was all way before he was in the UFC, and I think before he hooked up with Hume, too. Anyway OKAY just a conversation I was privvy to years ago.

This part is even more insane when you consider that iirc until he won the title he was working construction full-time.

Meowbot
Oct 12, 2005

I havent had a plrecription for my eyes in years so the other day I went and got a new one and it hasnt changed. The doctor was like why havent you seen us in 4 years? I told them im scared of op tomietris when the air shoots into your eyes and dilation. They told me my eyes cold get worse....
What a sorry event. I bought this at a friend's house who promised me steaks. We didn't have steaks until halfway through Mighty Mouse and Ali. It was really one of the more sorry events I've ever seen. The women's fight was only good because it was surrounded by so much awful. Rory continued to do what he has been doing but made Woodley look like a lovely fighter in the process. I wonder if Woodley will have any sort of excuse "I had a kidney stone that morning" or something because drat. I don't know what was worse not eating until 10 30 at night the steaks I was promised at 5 30 or UFC 174. At least the Valerie Letourneau story and spirit (broken orbital in first round) was pretty uplifting. Someone kicked out a power cord 1:55 left of round 5 of the main event and I didn't even care.

Andrei Arlovski #bigthings2014

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Watching Mike Easton lose is always fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

Snowman_McK posted:

Watching Mike Easton lose is always fun.

no it's not.

• Locked thread