Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Booblord Zagats posted:

He got banned for weighing in on the legalities regarding age of consent in an EVE thread where some dude was accused of diddling in an MMO or some poo poo

What the gently caress, SA?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
gently caress you too, awful app.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
I don't know much about bomb stocks, but I remember when we were first blasting Afghanistan back in October, 2001 some Air Force spokesman or another was talking to the press and said that because we were just blasting them with old Vietnam-era poo poo it was pound-for-pound cheaper than dropping peanut butter.

I remember that distinctly because I thought it was such a weird way of putting it.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Bomb stocks sound like a worthwhile investment. How can my human being brokerage account stop hemorrhaging money on human being Tech, LLC and start cashing in on the deaths of mudmen the world over

The other day I had a dream where I came home to the news that the Paki's nuked Dehli and it made me begin weeping with joy. May our dreams come true and Iran solve the ISIS situation with nukes. The one true God is the one whose followers start the nuclear WW3 first

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

Booblord Zagats posted:

He got banned for weighing in on the legalities regarding age of consent in an EVE thread where some dude was accused of diddling in an MMO or some poo poo

I'm finding difficult picturing some old guy giving enough fucks to get banned from this place.

My dad got 4F'd out of the draft. He was born in '39. I've spent the :10bux: to try get him to post here since he's an OG nerd, working on computers back when they had vacuum tubes, but I don't think he cares.

Snowdens Secret posted:

My grandfather got drafted I'm not positive whether it was for Algeria or Indochina but he deliberately pissed the bed every night in boot camp until they sent him home. He had a wife and baby to support and wasn't exactly patriotic to begin with. Pretty much everyone who got drafted with him down to the last man was killed in action.

Your dad was French?

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009
My dad was SeaBee, but seeing as he was busy keeping my mom pregnant (4 kids from '61-'68, divorce nine months after the last birth :lol:) I kinda doubt he did poo poo in SE Asia.

I came out a month before Tet, so inshallah Ho Ho Ho Chi Minh to y'all.

Nostalgia4ColdWar
May 7, 2007

Good people deserve good things.

Till someone lets the winter in and the dying begins, because Old Dark Places attract Old Dark Things.
We had SHITLOADS of Comp-B-4 artillery rounds and the like in the bunkers. We're talking tens or hundreds of thousands of them, depending on size and purpose. All of them were in beautiful shape, and any nicks on the paint we inspected them and then fixed the paint, inspected them yearly, all of that.

Some of that poo poo was manufactured in the 1950's. Every 10 years we do a 'deep lot inspection' and check like 1 out of 5, then relabel them. The older stuff got sent back to the old Army Depots stateside, where they got inspected again and put in other lines of bunkers, while we loaded the newer stuff in.

It'd surprise me if we'd used all that poo poo yet. I mean, how much artillery have you been ruining mud-men's days with?

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

MoraleHazard posted:

Your dad was French?

Mother's side, French in the sense that France was as far as they got to flee from Poland before the Nazis caught up

ReverendCode
Nov 30, 2008

Slim Pickens posted:

My dad was a filthy hippy, did a bunch of drugs and rode motorcycles.

Same.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

50 Foot Ant posted:

I mean, how much artillery have you been ruining mud-men's days with?
Not enough.

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

DoggesAndCattes
Aug 2, 2007

My dad did 10 years as an air traffic controller on a carrier(s) in the late 70s and early 80s. I forget which one. He had some cool cruise books with some crazy poo poo in them. Ended up knocking up my mom in the Philippines and having a beach wedding. Ended up doing the same job in the civilian world and retired a few years ago at 56(mandatory retirement age). Spends his time supporting and drinking at the VFW and golfing across the country with his other golfing and vet buddies.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q
my dad never went to nam, just korea in the late 60s. didn't do much there except beat up MPs and get busted down. i can respect that. he also threw some guy he didn't like off a bridge allegedly

Kaliber
Jun 17, 2005

I cracked my tooth in Vietnam drinking with Vietnamese officials while on TDY and had to go the ISOS hospital in Hanoi. I like to tell people I'm an injured Vietnam Vet and wear a Vietnam Veteran hat sometimes for shits and giggles.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001
My dad wasn't black.. so thank god for that I guess? I can't see being a black schizophrenic Jew working.. Oh wait, is Lenny Kravitz still doing booze cruises?

My dad does own though, he is as enlisted as gently caress today despite having eventually commisioned and becoming an extremely wealthy successful man.

He's a shadow of my Gramps, who got kicked outta the navy for bootlegging and fighting - went onto be a preacher and a sherrif, and was a straight prairie friend of the family and reservation born. He was killed when in the course of being far too tough for death to kill that day he woke up from his medically induced coma, yanked all his poo poo out while they tried to restrain him and he clocked someone and then he died. Screaming, and angry.

I'm hoping I go out muttering something about the muds, maybe while in restraints after the VA decided to go ahead and recruit the loving haqqani network and at least the heaviest women of loving Boko Haram to take care of the old vets in the vet homes.

Jesus Christ Veterans Home might be the scariest use of English since negro's put their poetry and their sclerotic jazz and rhythm and blues together in an acetate pressing and spun those dubs at club.

loving poo poo it's 2014, and were at war in Iraq again. Holy loving poo poo, I can't stay high enough to be calm on this- but I've managed to not watch any news aside from the nightly news.

Has anyone war sperg'd this op yet or are we hoping this is all part of an elaborate hosed up hoax involving Robin Williams and Kim Jong-Un(available for meetings since he's got whatever biowarfare agent in his blood and holy loving poo poo put down your pipes and pups fuckers, he ain't been seen in 6 loving weeks? Hahaha oh poo poo.

There's not enough weed and Klonopin in this world to keep me from having a panic attack at the thought of how IRL The west wing is really turning into the west wing in its later years loving reality is starting to jump the Sharks just as I get out and start tripping balls.

Bravo.

Castle Bravo hopefully.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Obama Africanus posted:

Has anyone war sperg'd this op yet or are we hoping this is all part of an elaborate hosed up hoax involving Robin Williams and Kim Jong-Un(available for meetings since he's got whatever biowarfare agent in his blood and holy loving poo poo put down your pipes and pups fuckers, he ain't been seen in 6 loving weeks? Hahaha oh poo poo.

That's a feint. Andy Kaufman's long con joke is finally playing out.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

Kaliber posted:

I cracked my tooth in Vietnam drinking with Vietnamese officials while on TDY and had to go the ISOS hospital in Hanoi. I like to tell people I'm an injured Vietnam Vet and wear a Vietnam Veteran hat sometimes for shits and giggles.

You are a 5'3" literal closeted twink Twinkie. Yellow and effeminate on the outside, and a cream filled tiny little caucasian cub or twinkle bear on the inside.

If Kaliber isn't the funniest loving thing on earth, the idea of dressing him up in black face and calling him choc-o-dile sure the gently caress is.

Layers upon layers.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer

Obama Africanus posted:

Castle Bravo hopefully.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

Obama Africanus posted:

You are a 5'3" literal closeted twink Twinkie. Yellow and effeminate on the outside, and a cream filled tiny little caucasian cub or twinkle bear on the inside.

If Kaliber isn't the funniest loving thing on earth, the idea of dressing him up in black face and calling him choc-o-dile sure the gently caress is.

Layers upon layers.

That's me reminding you that I secretly suspect you are partially to blame for Martello's IRL problems [JK is he doing ok? Anyone know? Can you ping him?] and that being Asian American and joining the military instead of spreading bird flu derivering beef and broccorrii to brackberry rane apartment two twerve is the rast thing you should ever be proud of.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q

Obama Africanus posted:

That's me reminding you that I secretly suspect you are partially to blame for Martello's IRL problems [JK is he doing ok? Anyone know? Can you ping him?] and that being Asian American and joining the military instead of spreading bird flu derivering beef and broccorrii to brackberry rane apartment two twerve is the rast thing you should ever be proud of.

sforzacio
Nov 6, 2012

you are Danny Chen-ing him so hard

Kaliber
Jun 17, 2005

Obama Africanus posted:

Don't be mad because while you were deployed to bum gently caress no where, Afghanistan I was on a government paid military vacation chilling out in 5 star hotels all over S.E Asia living like a king, having sex with every single Thai hooker I encountered and coming back to infect every female that'll give it up with syphilis.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

Kaliber posted:

Don't be mad because while you were deployed to bum gently caress no where, Afghanistan I was on a government paid military vacation chilling out in 5 star hotels all over S.E Asia living like a king, having sex with every single Thai hooker I encountered and coming back to infect every female that'll give it up with syphilis.

Kaliber posted:

I only hurt the ones I love.

Congrats, Elliot Rogers in Multi-Cam. I'm totes jealous your 5"5' Mongrel Self got to pay to get STDs from literal human('ish, you did say Asia, right? Not "really" "'people'" in that case now is it?) slaves only to have it improperly treated by your excellent free military medical healthcare.

Ever Since Harold and Kumar came out I feel like you lil yeller fellers got a little too comfortable at the dinner table.

I'm kidding though, you orientals are just like my dog, you'd probably eat the gently caress out of a cat. And I mean that's cool- just not around us actual people. Is that ok with you, chopsticks?

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

:munch:

brains
May 12, 2004

Kaliber posted:

i guess syphilis could explain how you fell so hard for the honeypot you literally volunteered for the 82nd :eyepop:

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001
Is anyone else not loving lol'ing their rear end off at Kaliber getting MEB'd for 73 months in the Hanoi Hilton at Fort Bragg's WTU?

Give me the Berghdahl deal over what Chucks got comin' when he's purring the reserve and suddenly the only thing between him and the grim specter of death is a parachute sewn by really motivated blind people, packed into carriers built, bought, and then packed by the lowest bidders, dumbest officers, and most retarded of soldiers respectively.

gently caress that bullshit like I gently caress your wives while you're defending my freedom and paycheck.

You are too brave for your own good, Egg Roll.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The parachutes actually aren't the worst part of jumping. They're built so you can break several strands of 550, or have a big rear end hole in the canopy and still land decent(for a static line jump, anyways) and if your canopy's sketchy or cigarette rolls, you have your reserve, and better pray you pull it quick.

The most dangerous part of jumping is the other retards you jump with. They're all holding a solid line, and if the guy in front of you just drops his line when he jumps or the jumpmaster doesn't pull it in and that thing wraps around your arm, your bicep's gonna get to meet your forearm when 80 knot winds pull you out of the plane. Or the shoelace holding your pack tray together doesn't snap like it's supposed to, and you get slapped against the side of the bird until you get dragged in or cut loose and have to rely on your reserve. Then when you're in the air, you can still tangle with dudes in the air. I had that happen once, but we both had a riser twist and couldn't steer yet. A dude named Samodell collided with two other dudes once, and all three canopies deflated a few hundred feet off the ground, killing Samodell and seriously injuring the other two. Then who knows what the gently caress you'll land on, just land like you were taught and you probably won't break anything.

I think the only jump I liked was a water jump. We did a chinook ramp blast over American Lake, got to wear pts and no helmet for the jump, then got a boat ride to the shore for beer and bbq. Chinook jumps in general were pretty cool, but anything out a plane I spend the whole time in the air thinking about failures that would get me maimed or killed, mostly the static line around the arm thing.

Paradise Lost
Feb 11, 2003

kill your enemy, drink his wine, and take his women
Being first or last out the door is the only real reason people go to jump master school.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Tamrara Keel posted:

This is kinda like a war, only our president has promised we won't stick our military in too far.

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice
United States Marine Corps: (Just the) Tip of the Spear

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

Jonad posted:

United States Marine Corps: (Just the) Tip of the Spear

https://www.facebook.com/JTTOTS21?ref=br_tf

Already a thing.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.
Good points imo http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/sep/30/isis-bomb-muslim-world-air-strikes-saudi-arabia

George Monbiot in The Guardian posted:

Why stop at Isis when we could bomb the whole Muslim world?

Let’s bomb the Muslim world – all of it – to save the lives of its people. Surely this is the only consistent moral course? Why stop at Islamic State (Isis), when the Syrian government has murdered and tortured so many? This, after all, was last year’s moral imperative. What’s changed?

How about blasting the Shia militias in Iraq? One of them selected 40 people from the streets of Baghdad in June and murdered them for being Sunnis. Another massacred 68 people at a mosque in August. They now talk openly of “cleansing” and “erasure” once Isis has been defeated. As a senior Shia politician warns, “we are in the process of creating Shia al-Qaida radical groups equal in their radicalisation to the Sunni Qaida”.

What humanitarian principle instructs you to stop there? In Gaza this year, 2,100 Palestinians were massacred: including people taking shelter in schools and hospitals. Surely these atrocities demand an air war against Israel? And what’s the moral basis for refusing to liquidate Iran? Mohsen Amir-Aslani was hanged there last week for making “innovations in the religion” (suggesting that the story of Jonah in the Qur’an was symbolic rather than literal). Surely that should inspire humanitarian action from above? Pakistan is crying out for friendly bombs: an elderly British man, Mohammed Asghar, who suffers from paranoid schizophrenia, is, like other blasphemers, awaiting execution there after claiming to be a holy prophet. One of his prison guards has already shot him in the back.

Is there not an urgent duty to blow up Saudi Arabia? It has beheaded 59 people so far this year, for offences that include adultery, sorcery and witchcraft. It has long presented a far greater threat to the west than Isis now poses. In 2009 Hillary Clinton warned in a secret memo that “Saudi Arabia remains a critical financial support base for al-Qaida, the Taliban … and other terrorist groups”. In July, the former head of MI6, Sir Richard Dearlove, revealed that Prince Bandar bin Sultan, until recently the head of Saudi intelligence, told him: “The time is not far off in the Middle East, Richard, when it will be literally ‘God help the Shia’. More than a billion Sunnis have simply had enough of them.” Saudi support for extreme Sunni militias in Syria during Bandar’s tenure is widely blamed for the rapid rise of Isis. Why take out the subsidiary and spare the headquarters?

The humanitarian arguments aired in parliament last week, if consistently applied, could be used to flatten the entire Middle East and west Asia. By this means you could end all human suffering, liberating the people of these regions from the vale of tears in which they live.

:black101:

Odradek
May 23, 2007

Don't hate me because I'm cute
Too late for Dad Talk? My old man was in WWII and spent his time island hopping in the Pacific as a tank guy. He never talked much about it until late in life - I was his only kid who did any military service and he told me a few stories about blowing poo poo up and rolling fireballs into caves and whatnot. When I asked him why the Vietnam vets had so much trouble after their war, he told me that when he and his buddies got back they were heroes who saved the world, the economy was booming, and all he did was work long hours and drink so he never had time to reflect on what he did during the war. Also, he was getting ready to invade Japan when we dropped the bombs and the war ended. His LT told him the tank crews were going to be in the first wave with an expected fatality rate around 90%, so I guess I'm only here because of Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

I know he's being sarcastic, but I choose not to read it that way.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

He's being smug (of course, it's the Guardian) by invoking the ole Vietnam 'delivering democracy from 30,000 feet' canard, but replace 'bombing' with 'invasion' and he's ironically spot on

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

Good points imo http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/sep/30/isis-bomb-muslim-world-air-strikes-saudi-arabia

George Monbiot in The Guardian posted:

Why stop at Isis when we could bomb the whole Muslim world?

Let’s bomb the Muslim world – all of it – to save the lives of its people. Surely this is the only consistent moral course? Why stop at Islamic State (Isis), when the Syrian government has murdered and tortured so many? This, after all, was last year’s moral imperative. What’s changed?

How about blasting the Shia militias in Iraq? One of them selected 40 people from the streets of Baghdad in June and murdered them for being Sunnis. Another massacred 68 people at a mosque in August. They now talk openly of “cleansing” and “erasure” once Isis has been defeated. As a senior Shia politician warns, “we are in the process of creating Shia al-Qaida radical groups equal in their radicalisation to the Sunni Qaida”.

What humanitarian principle instructs you to stop there? In Gaza this year, 2,100 Palestinians were massacred: including people taking shelter in schools and hospitals. Surely these atrocities demand an air war against Israel? And what’s the moral basis for refusing to liquidate Iran? Mohsen Amir-Aslani was hanged there last week for making “innovations in the religion” (suggesting that the story of Jonah in the Qur’an was symbolic rather than literal). Surely that should inspire humanitarian action from above? Pakistan is crying out for friendly bombs: an elderly British man, Mohammed Asghar, who suffers from paranoid schizophrenia, is, like other blasphemers, awaiting execution there after claiming to be a holy prophet. One of his prison guards has already shot him in the back.

Is there not an urgent duty to blow up Saudi Arabia? It has beheaded 59 people so far this year, for offences that include adultery, sorcery and witchcraft. It has long presented a far greater threat to the west than Isis now poses. In 2009 Hillary Clinton warned in a secret memo that “Saudi Arabia remains a critical financial support base for al-Qaida, the Taliban … and other terrorist groups”. In July, the former head of MI6, Sir Richard Dearlove, revealed that Prince Bandar bin Sultan, until recently the head of Saudi intelligence, told him: “The time is not far off in the Middle East, Richard, when it will be literally ‘God help the Shia’. More than a billion Sunnis have simply had enough of them.” Saudi support for extreme Sunni militias in Syria during Bandar’s tenure is widely blamed for the rapid rise of Isis. Why take out the subsidiary and spare the headquarters?

The humanitarian arguments aired in parliament last week, if consistently applied, could be used to flatten the entire Middle East and west Asia. By this means you could end all human suffering, liberating the people of these regions from the vale of tears in which they live.

:black101:

Holy poo poo, news media that gets what GiP has been saying all along

(I know he's not serious, but I can dream)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
I think it's time to just fold this back into the current events thread.

• Locked thread