Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
I heard the word "suicide" on the radio and thought for a very long time they had said "sewer-side" and was very upset it had nothing to do with the ninja turtles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laverna
Mar 21, 2013

I don't know if I ever actually believed it but it was certainly an irrational fear of mine as a child that I might one day accidentally poop out a baby when I was on the toilet.
How would I have gotten pregnant in the first place? - from the toilet seat obviously.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
I used to think the news reported every single person who died so I assumed my parents watched it every night to find out if someone we knew had died.

I also thought euthanasia was 'youth in Asia' and was really confused why my teachers and stuff hated Asian children.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
I used to think that when a person died, they were embalmed, then put on display. Like, permanently. On a shelf in the living room where everyone could see them. Forever.

Lonely Virgil
Oct 9, 2012

Parts Kit posted:

I always saw it as a backwards stupidly fancy 'G' and never asked so it was a very long time before I realized it was really a stupidly fancy D.

Gisnep.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

In pre-school I thought that the television was connected to the studio by a series of complex mirrors and corridors and I could converse with Mister Rogers if I just yelled loud enough into the TV.

In first grade, our school's gym had an unreasonably large number of poles and bases for basketball hoops, but no hoops attached to them. They were clad in a bright red padding, presumably to keep kids from gouging themselves on metal. When we first were taught about doing fire drills, I came to the conclusion that the red padded objects were massive drills for tunneling our way out of the school if it caught fire. I was very disappointed to find out that was not the case.

In third grade we learned about America's history of slavery, and I imagined the Underground Railroad to be literally an underground railroad.

In fourth grade I partook in an extra-curricular thing called Odyssey of the Mind, specifically the 'Structure' problem, which was described to me as bombarding a wooden structure with billiards. I imagined throwing billiards at a ramshackle wooden tower. I was only partially right: we were to build small balsa-wood structures and roll billiards down an incline into it to see how much abuse they could take.

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

To understand what happened at the diner, we use Mr. Papaya. This is upsetting because he is the friendliest of fruits.

Neurion posted:

In third grade we learned about America's history of slavery, and I imagined the Underground Railroad to be literally an underground railroad.

I imagine pretty much every kid thinks this when they first learn about the Underground Railroad.

Personally, I was disappointed when I finally figured out that that wasn't the case.

Buh
May 17, 2008
I spent an unreasonable amount of time searching my house for a secret passage to the underground railroad after picking it up from some book or other.
Sucks growing up and realising that rural Australian towns tend to lack badass historical things.

I did actually get to see a secret cave with Aboriginal paintings that the land owner never declared because he didn't want to get bothered by council workers and archaeologists. Take that Hardy Boys.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Doctor Bishop posted:

I imagine pretty much every kid thinks this when they first learn about the Underground Railroad.

Personally, I was disappointed when I finally figured out that that wasn't the case.

Same. First time I heard of it I thought some people had gone mining underground and dug out long railroad tunnels for slaves to travel on and I wondered if this wasn't really really dangerous.

When I was little I was, I am told, convinced that everyone ran on batteries. If people annoyed me I would threaten to take their batteries out.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
When Portal first came out(I'd be eleven), I thought "Maybe Black Mesa/That was a joke/Haha/Fat chance" meant "Maybe Black Mesa was a joke? Fat chance". I knew just enough about Half Life to know killer aliens invaded, so I thought GLaDOS was mocking Chell for escaping out of the facility and into the invasion, Black Mesa being the name of the invaders.

WickedHate has a new favorite as of 00:18 on Jun 17, 2014

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

I thought that the candy, fruit Gushers, would actually turn your head into a fruit like they did in commercials. I was disappointed that they didn't.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

I thought all songs on the radio were being played live by the band at the station itself so there was just a long line of bands waiting outside the DJ booth to step in and play.

Waverhouse
Jun 8, 2009

A highly sophisticated simpleton.
I thought limes and lemons came from the same tree, and that limes were just underripe lemons

I thought this until I was 22 years old.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
- I thought oral sex was talking dirty to each other, but I like to think my kid-logic was sound. I saw a t-shirt that said "If you don't like oral sex, keep your mouth shut!", and my mom would tell me to be quiet by saying "Keep your mouth shut!"

- I pronounced velociraptor was velo-cy-raptor for some reason, and my brain couldn't parse the correct pronunciation. The strangest part about it is that even though they say it in Jurrasic Park, I still couldn't get my brain and mouth to understand. I have a distinct memory of saying it once accurately, but forgetting how to seconds later. :smith:

- I was occasionally mad at my mom for saying we didn't have the money for something I wanted. She was lying, because I would clearly see her giving paper money to a clerk but then immediately get paper money back.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

I thought faxes actually sent the paper you put in rather than just copy it.

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW

MisterBibs posted:

- I thought oral sex was talking dirty to each other, but I like to think my kid-logic was sound. I saw a t-shirt that said "If you don't like oral sex, keep your mouth shut!", and my mom would tell me to be quiet by saying "Keep your mouth shut!"

My little-kid-logic was that I'd heard of phone sex before I heard of oral sex, so I figured oral sex was just phone sex in person. :shrug:

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

Oh yeah I also believed the standard POTUS controls everything etc., but then every kid believes that also a majority of the adult U.S. population

PlantRobot
Feb 13, 2010

Ignimbrite posted:

I heard the word "suicide" on the radio and thought for a very long time they had said "sewer-side" and was very upset it had nothing to do with the ninja turtles.

Are you my best friend from 3rd grade bc she thought that too. She drew a picture of Barbie committing sewer-side which was basically Barbie standing in a sewer.

Yes to the underground railroad thing and searching for hidden entrances to the underground railroad by doing the Hardy Boys/Nancy Drew thing of tapping on walls and seeing if they sounded hollow (they all sounded sort of hollow). Although I did it in my grandparent's house because I thought that would be older (it was built in 1950).

I thought gay guys had sex by kissing and then their penises would come up and kiss too.

I didn't want to ask my parents explain stoplights so I came up with the explanation that there were tiny people in there turning a dial.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Ignimbrite posted:

In class we once had to go through the Billy Joel song "We Didn't Start the Fire" line by line and write down what we found out about each historical reference.

My little brother got to "Trouble in the Suez" and... yeah. "Trouble in the Sewers".

The only way I convinced him it wasn't a Ninja Turtles reference was by explaining that everything else was in chronological order and in the 1950s.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

I remembered another one a little while ago. There were all kinds of rumors about what would happen if you got painted. I think the prevailing playground theory was that you would suffocate somehow, though at any rate you would definitely die if you were covered in paint. My kid brain thought this meant you would die if you had any paint on you at all for longer than a couple of seconds so of course when I got some on my hand in art class I lost my mind about needing to wash it IMMEDIATELY! No Miss you don't understand I AM DYING!

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

From inside my elementary school's gigantic cavernous cafeteria/auditorium, the front double doors looked like this:

That little hatch next to it was obviously (to me) the FIRE EXIT.

I always pictured one day there being a fire and two thousand screaming panicking kids all crawling and clambering through that tiny little door in the wall because for some reason they weren't allowed to use the main doors. (I guess that's what the fire would be expecting?)

I had no idea why they thought they needed to abbreviate EXIT to EX, though. There was plenty of room.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

That you could actually dig your way to China.

In first grade, a group of us was determined to give it good try. I can't remember how many of us there were, but we formed a circle and we had this thing thought out, too. We didn't have any equipment, so we used what was the best method available. We sat down on the dirt, braced with our hands and started digging with our sneakers. I think we had a pretty sizable hole made, but never tried it again after that one attempt.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

No man, you've got it backwards. There's a snake that lives in there: you can hear him hissing when you flush. That's why you gotta press the button then peg it the gently caress out of there before the toilet snake eats you.
My dad pulled this one on me shortly after the first Jurassic Park movie came out on VHS. Only it was toilet raptors.
Exactly.

PlantRobot
Feb 13, 2010

I just kind of glossed over that word because I couldn't understand it- as with many other words in books that I assigned fake pronunciations and meanings to and didn't think of again until questioned. 'Guinness book of world records' was 'Genius book of world records' and the librarian couldn't convince me otherwise.

I also feared an anemone-like thing that would come out of the bend of the toilet.

Treguna Mekoides
Jun 17, 2008

A witch is always a lady except when circumstances dictate otherwise.
I grew up Catholic and so when the Marian prayer goes "Blessed is the fruit of thy womb," I used to think it was referring to men's affordable underwear as modeled by Michael Jordan. I was so horribly confused. :shobon:

Coulrophobia
Oct 11, 2012
The first time I saw a pub with a big "No Minors" sign on the outside, I thought it meant "No Miners". I figured this was because the miners would try to come there straight after work, and they'd be covered in coal dust, and the people who ran the pub didn't want them to get coal dust everywhere.

PlantRobot
Feb 13, 2010

RC and Moon Pie posted:

That you could actually dig your way to China.

*sigh* Yes, except we thought it was somewhere off Australia because of the internet and then who knows what would've happened- the core of the earth filling with water and shooting steam into the atmosphere? Sure. Let's get that Craftsman shovel and dig down five feet.

Souvlaki ss
Mar 7, 2014

It's not tomorrow until I sleep
My cousin convinced me that part of playing Twister was receiving a small electric shock every time you didn't put your hands/feet on the right color.
She was super excited about it and got it for Christmas.

...Of course our small masochist brains were really disappointed when we realized there was no electric shock involved.

I blame this commercial for the confusion

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdDKG59bHAQ

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA
Until I was about eight I thought chainsaws were exclusively used as weapons because of the type of media I consumed. Then my dad cut down a tree in the yard and I came to understand I was a tremendous idiot.

Part of Everything
Feb 1, 2005

He clenched his teeh and walked out of the study
Until about age 7 I had no concept of how long a century was. I'd heard the word used but it never clicked. One day the teacher mentioned something about "in the 25th century, when we're all long gone," I angrily stood up and told the teacher that I'd still be alive in the 25th century, she'll see!

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
I thought that cars ran on magnetic railroad like tracks that were either invisible or buried under the pavement, I couldn't decide which. The car's steering wheel was to choose which track you wanted. How else would anyone ever be able to drive straight or make turns?

People crashed by choosing the wrong track.

Evening_Tide
Jun 11, 2014
The first time I heard the word "lesbian" I was in 4th grade. I was with a few of the guys, you know? And these two girls who, now that Im thinking about it, were like young teenagers 13-14 walked by us. One of us called them lesbians and I though, "what the hell is that?" They said, "Hey, did you guys just call us lesbians?! Dont call us that!" Stupid, stupid me thought, "lesbians? That word sounds exotic... (first thing that came to my head.. giraffes, since the girls were tall and giraffes are exotic) so lesbians are giraffes?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Plydoh posted:

My cousin convinced me that part of playing Twister was receiving a small electric shock every time you didn't put your hands/feet on the right color.
She was super excited about it and got it for Christmas.

...Of course our small masochist brains were really disappointed when we realized there was no electric shock involved.

I blame this commercial for the confusion

Hah, I was scared of playing twister because I thought it was electric. I remember both being relieved and sort of let down when I realized that wasn't the case.

Micomicona
Aug 7, 2007

Waverhouse posted:

I thought limes and lemons came from the same tree, and that limes were just underripe lemons

I thought this until I was 22 years old.

Haha I thought this too! I thought there was one fruit, the "citrus fruit", that started out as a lime, ripened into a lemon, then into an orange, and then got overripe and turned into gross grapefruits. I saw a classmate eating a pomelo and just assumed that was like the final form of the citrus fruit.

Lamprotornis
Jun 28, 2004

My happy place~
I thought the word "dammit" meant something like "to aggressively throw a stick or hand-tool down" because that's what I always saw when my dad would say "dammit."

One of my earliest memories is standing in the kitchen, throwing a plastic hammer on the floor and saying "dammit!" repeatedly because it was making my parents laugh, though I can still remember the mildly embarrassed look on my dad's face because he knew where I got the idea. Then they politely explained why that's not a word I should use.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
I tried to build a perpetual motion machine out of K'Nex and blu-tac once. Surely if I weigh this bit down just a little more, it'll work!

My sister thought that between Girl and Woman came Cat and Dog.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.
When I was in grade 2 I used to think it was illegal for white people and black people to get married which really bummed me out because I thought this black girl in my class was cute but realised we could never be :smith:

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Wait i just thought of a better one

I thought i would have to use cursive only when i got older and i was kinda poo poo at it at first so i cried alot thinking i wouldn't be able to do anything when i was grown up.

Kikka
Feb 10, 2010

I POST STUPID STUFF ABOUT DOCTOR WHO
My dad told me the white plastic packs for storing hay you see on fields were humanoid eggs. I didn't even know what a humanoid was, but that's what I believed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
I didn't care much about history and when they first started doing world history in grade school (3-4th grade maybe?) I read ahead in the books and kept seeing this really cool angular swirly symbol on things and I thought it looked really cool so I kept drawing it on things.

Then I got yelled at by the principal for drawing swastikas everywhere. :saddowns:

President Ark has a new favorite as of 21:32 on Jun 17, 2014

• Locked thread