Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

Rubix Squid posted:

Clearly we need to catch this pope guy.

I was contemplating doing it first and ending the war quickly but when I saw how many that joined the Crusade I decided not to since I think I had something like 40-50k troops marching on me. I'm still only a duchy :negative:
Luckily even if I lose I won't lose my Danish possessions, and because of Bodil having taken over the Fylkir title, Uppland now belongs to her so that won't be lost either.

Groogy fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Jan 15, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wentley
Feb 7, 2012
Oh man. I've stopped the crusade by having a ship of raiders close by Rome and capturing the Pope, but that was luck.

Can you see any way of actually winning this?

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

I have a cunning plan and it involves the fins. I'm gonna put my entire army in själland to force them to go the long way around through Pagan territory and take poo poo ton of attrition. It's that or fight them on the island and pray to Odin the defensive modifers are enough.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

With the armies of Christendom amassing and their commanders eyes set on Skåne, Jørgen quickly proceeds with forcing his prisoners from the civil war to recognize the Aesir as superior to God and the only ones worthy of their worship. His silver tongue manages to trick all but the most zealous Catholics that the Pope on purpose left them to their faith and hoped that these "barbarians" would just kill them all of.

The amount of Lords that join the crusade in the name of the Holy father are numerous, the faithful of Skåne pray for help, begging the Fylkja to do anything to gain the gods favors. But no matter what anyone could do the situation was dire. Our Jarl did not know much of war fare, it had never particularly interested him but he did know how to talk to his people, how to calm the lords and make every able bodied man pick up his sword and amass under the Scanian banner. He said openly that the gods would not save them, not because the gods wanted to punish them but because the gods expected it of them.

"How can we be worthy of the Aesir in Valhalla if we do not stand up on our own legs? If the dogs of the cross are marching upon us, then they shall face the wrath of the worshipers, not the gods!"

Excluding the Fylkariate troops, he manages to rally 13 000 men from the realm to fight the horde of crusaders marching upon them. It was not nearly enough but Skåne would never be able to win with numbers alone.

The first troops arrive in late October 1210, the Papal states land a few levies to scout in the northern shores of Sweden. The Army of Uppsala is dispatched to take care of them before they get the opportunity to flee. Luckily the Danish King can't join the Crusade as he is too occupied defending some of the old Estrid demesne in England.

With the scouting force dealt with, Jørgen knew the troops wouldn't try to come from the sea but would try and walk across the Belt instead. He with his commanders decides that there is where they will hold off the crusaders or force them take another route. Even if they would defend from Fyn, it would be too many to hold off but the hope was that it would look enough threatening to make them go through the Lithuanian and Finn land.

Another army make landfall on Øland, hoping to capture it before the Scanians can react. However the mercenary bands hired by Skåne are nearby and quickly takes care of them. Half a year later the first forces start to show up in the Finnish Pagan lands, having taken heavy attrition before even getting close to the civilized land of Skåne. The mercenary bands have already reallocated to Uppland and they charge over to Åland and engage the weakened enemy trying to siege it.

They manages to hold out to just until reinforcements arrive on the island, 2800 more men to be slaughtered. However even more crusaders eventually show up, this army much larger and stronger than the mercenary army even though it has gone through miles of harsh terrain.

Unfourtenly the army is caught by the Venetian troops soon to be followed by more mercenaries hired by the pope.

In the meantime the Kaiser of the German empire sets up his own brother as pope and imprison the pope in Rome dealing a heavy blow to the crusade. But it doesn't save the Scottish mercenaries who just about defeats the Venice troops before the Pope's army arrives.

It ends in defeat and the gates into Skåne are now wide open and devout crusaders swarm into Uppland and Sødermanland.

Some good news at least are that the population of Skåne has started converting to the Norse faith. Also the Scanian troops managed to isolate a minor army and completely devastates it on Åland where its soldiers have no where to run.

The main force of the crusade are quick to pick up pursuit and are heading to engage the Vikings on Åland. In hopes to counter the larger and much heavier army, Jørgen have bought modern Italian weaponry for his housecarls from Trelleborg in hopes it will turn the tide in his favor.

The battle ensues and it is quite even however the Scanian much lighter army can deal a heaveier blow as they skirmish the enemy as they land on Åland. Eventually the Knights charge at the right flank, but the flank focuses on forcing them back and holding them at bay letting the pikemen and archers to deal their damage to the riders giving a devastating damage to the Catholics while the Norse housecarls holds out against the heavy charge.

The tactic is largely successful and in desperation the left flank as well tries a charge but the Vikings are quick to form a shield-wall and hold the Knights at bay.

Its a enormous victory and the news of it spreads quickly through the land turning into even more of the population switching side to the worship of Aesir. The King of Mumu had also joined the Crusade and sieged down the county of Desmond in Ireland. But before the crusades end he dies of old age and his son refuses to continue to partake in the current failed state the Crusade was in.

A daughter is born to our Jarl which he and his wife names Ida. The pope tries to save the campaign by taking in another member, the rich families of Pisa, he promises forgiveness of their ursury in exchange for their help. The troops land in northern Sweden but the defenders are quickly there and swiftly defeats them.

More people turn to the faith of the man who is defending them from the foreign invaders and the fervor of the Viking warriors grow ever stronger. The pope dies in the dungeons of Kaiser Heinrich the year 1213 and pope Gregory IX is elected to lead the catholic world. This man partook in the fighting of the Crusades and having seen the determination of his enemies he decides to wait until he can gather more support before doing another push on the realm of Skåne.

As such the crusade become silent and not much happens, the housecarls however stands vigilant at the borders waiting for the crusaders to return. But the interest of the campaign declines and other news takes over such as the Monophysite belief takes over the Miaphysite position as the more dominant view on Christ. In the year of 1215 rumors from the far east reach the Jarl about the Khan of Khans, a great ruler and warrior who have conquered an entire continent and he has now set his eyes on Europe.

A lowly count thinks he can succeed where entire armies have failed and tries an invasion of Sjælland but his army is quickly dealt with by the Fylkariate. However that is the last battle to be fought and the Crusade is declared a failure as more and more lords of Europe start pulling out of this grand campaign.

A great blót is called for the entire realm to partake in, from the highest noble to the lowest freeman. The crusaders who was captured are offered to the gods. The feast commence but with such a large crowd and with the unbelievable victory still in mind some goes too far with enjoying the feast.

With the terror of the Church behind Jørgen he decides to change the inheritance laws of Skåne, believing that in order for the realm to continue to existing it can no longer be split among brothers but must be united under one man instead. The one to inherit the responsibility of protecting the people of the Peninsula will always now fall to the first born son of the current Jarl.

However peace does not last for long unfortunately...

Political Map

Religious Map

Let me know if you want more different map modes at the end of chapters.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Yeah I barely survived that one, I had to spend my entire treasury and reform my armies two times. Were left with like 2000 men and no cash remaining. I hate that the Danish king had to declare war for the holy lands, if it were like one of the islands I wouldn't care because I need to rebuild and recover.

Hopefully though after this war the Scanian people will get some rest and recover.

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012
Glad to see the Fylkirate still going strong(-ish). We have proven the Old Gods worthy of worship, and the usurping dogs under the Cross have been sent back with their tail between their legs. Now to deal with the Danes, and then the quest to unite the North under the Old Gods can continue!

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
I just want to you get a kingdom already, drat :v:

Wentley
Feb 7, 2012
Wow. Well fought!

Code wise there's no way besides modding to have the Mongols convert to Germanic, correct? Even if they take lands that have converted?

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

RabidWeasel posted:

I just want to you get a kingdom already, drat :v:

Me too, I'm gonna use the custom Kingdom eventually. Just need the cash. Trying to come up with a cool flag to have that feels a bit more majestic than the old raven (I still want it to sport a red yellow Raven though, Ravens are way cooler than Eagles)

Wentley posted:

Wow. Well fought!

Code wise there's no way besides modding to have the Mongols convert to Germanic, correct? Even if they take lands that have converted?

Well if they are not reformed pagans, I can send my Court Gydja/Godi to their capital and hope they convert. A norse mongol empire? Holy crap that's scary.

Groogy fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Jan 23, 2015

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

I am a wizard, not a poet.
Gotta say I'm loving this. Wish I'd gotten to be part of the voting but what I wanted won anyway so no problem there.

If we get around to ireland being set free as it's own norse nation, I vote we give them a trade republic to deal with the isles.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Huh, What stops the AI Italy from trying to take over Papal lands? Because I'm guessing that wasn't added to the whole "Fylkirate lands" thing or what?

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Huh, What stops the AI Italy from trying to take over Papal lands? Because I'm guessing that wasn't added to the whole "Fylkirate lands" thing or what?

No the Pope is a vassal under the Kaiser, and I have no idea why the AI decided it was a good idea to create an anti-pope of his own dynasty when he already had a puppet pope.
Other than that why his fellow Vassals aren't conquering Rome is because the Pope land is well built up and he is always so rich so he can hire a lot of mercenaries. So no nearby AI is strong enough to take him on. The independent state on the western coast is the republic of Pisa.

The Fylkir land modifier just gives the script something to look after when it is transfering the titles that "belongs" to the position of Fylkir. I might add more land under there later. But I donno what would fit, maybe Odinholm in the Gulf of Finland?

Groogy fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Jan 23, 2015

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Groogy posted:

No the Pope is a vassal under the Kaiser, and I have no idea why the AI decided it was a good idea to create an anti-pope of his own dynasty when he already had a puppet pope.
Other than that why his fellow Vassals aren't conquering Rome is because the Pope land is well built up and he is always so rich so he can hire a lot of mercenaries. So no nearby AI is strong enough to take him on. The independent state on the western coast is the republic of Pisa.

The Fylkir land modifier just gives the script something to look after when it is transfering the titles that "belongs" to the position of Fylkir. I might add more land under there later. But I donno what would fit, maybe Odinholm in the Gulf of Finland?
Ahhh. Well, why not just toss in Iceland? Place never does anything else anyhow.

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

I am a wizard, not a poet.
Obviously every holy site that has converted to the true faith should be held by the head of said faith.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Iceland? You just want me to make Iceland holy because of being biased aren't you? :P
I would be interested in creating an Icelandic Holy order though, "Guardians of Hel". Since the gateway to Hel is rumored to be somewhere near Iceland.

But yeah eventually I'm probably going to put Maere and Sjaelland as Fylkir land. I just have to get them back to my possessions again. Right now they belong to a Godi and my cousin respectively.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Jørgen, won't allow the Fylkariate to stand alone against the Danish invaders and declares war on the Danish King demanding the county of Halland is integrated into the Jarldom of Skåne. The usual deployment takes place, the Scanian troops rush to Själland and dig in waiting for the Polish reinforcements to come. Soon enough they come to reinforce the Danish troops sieging down Bornholm, Jørgen engages them outside the city of København. Its not a devestating defeat for the Polish however they are pushed back isolating the Danish.

This spurs the Fylkariate troops to move in on Bornholm and fight the encircled Danish troops. The Scanian troops are right behind the Fylkariates to reinforce. The Fylkariate troops has managed to get outflanked by the defending Danes but are saved in the nick of time by the Scanian troops.

However even if it is war, the politics of the court can not be neglected and the Vogelius family marry in to the Stenkiling family, the royal house of Sweden and Norway by forming a union between Rikissa of Sødermanland and Hemming of Skåne. She is married on her 16th birthday to the heir of Skåne which is just a few days after the arrangements has been made,

The Hungarian troops have been active in fighting the Fylkariate troops dealing devastating defeat to them. However one day in September they just up and leave the Scandinavian peninsula. News soon enough reaches the Jarl that a revolt is taking place in the Hungarian lands and the Queen has to call back her troops to fight it, giving the Fylkariate some breathing room.

A vassal of the Khan of Khan's arrives in a region beyond Baghdad, further away than any Viking has ever been. But it is a news that shake Europe and the Popes eyes shift towards the east instead of the north, hoping to convert the Mongols to get an ally against the Arabs.

As generations pass, great deeds quickly becomes faded memories and even though the realm needs to stay stable to ensure the survival of the Norse faith, the personal ambitions of people seem too take their priorities.

Catholic peasants, spurred by the Estrid family to take arms against their masters even though their rights and privileges are guaranteed by the Fylkariate. Shortly after, Her Holiness Bodil the Wise before the end of the year 1217 dies of old age and passes on. The Faith leaderless and in a war to protect the Fylkariate from losing its capital seat, the election of a new Fylkir is held on the battlefield where the lords decides that Jørgen will be named Fylkir to defend the Scandinavian man against the Christian invaders.

The Danish-Polish troops getting a morale boost from the news that the leader of their enemy had died they move forward and captures the Scanian army in the deep woods of Småland. In the midst of the battle screams from Jørgen's personal retinue captain "The Fylkir is hurt! Form a ring on me! Do not let any of these swine come close to him! The leg of Jørgen had been chopped clean off by a Danish swordsman. The defensive battle turned quickly into a route trying to preserve as many soldiers as possible.

A year has passed since the start of this war and it does not look well for the Scanians, alone and outnumbered. Funds are set aside to fortify Håtuna, the fortress that protects the holy land from the infidels. New reinforcements from the north comes to the south and finds the remaining danish troops in Småland and destroys them, taking revenge for the devastating defeat from previous battle.

Knowing that there aren't enough Scanian men to fight the Christian alliance, Jørgen starts a plot to kill the old Danish King, the main contributor to the plot is his Jewish Spymaster wanting revenge for the expulsions the Estrid's has done against his people.

To ensure loyalty with the far away chieftain of Desmond, a betrothal is decided between the Jarl's daughter and the chieftain's son. Despite the war, the realm is not that bad off and the trade is still flowing in Skåne.

Despite the betrothal the Cheiftain of Desmond, descendant of Milzas, is a rebellious type. Plotting with other lords to gain Independence from Skåne or take the throne for himself, even going so far to denounce the Fylkariate and claiming no Fylkir should rule over the Norse people. That the idea of modernizing the faith was an upfront to the gods.

The Danish old King dies of age before any plans can come to fruition but not alone, his wife the Queen of Hungary dies of depression as her husband departs the world. The Nobles of Hungary are set with a dilemma, Queen Viola is the last of the great house Árpád. Her sole inheritor is the son of the now late King Stefan of Denmark. They try to decide among themselves who are to inherit but the son, Prince Ernst, is Hungarian and see himself as a hungarian and forces the Tanács to elect him as the only lawful inheritor of Hungary. Thus the Estrid Empire is born, the United Kingdoms of Denmark-Poland-Hungary.

The Estrids with renewed forces tries to take the army attacking the old capital of Halland. But it ends in a defeat for them. But Jørgen eventually succumbs to his horrible wounds and dies, Hemming inheriting the titles of his father.

He may be young, but he is a quick young boy with excellent skill when it comes to organizing his army however there is an issue with him being a craven who do not enjoy being in the midst of battle making him lose the respect of his fellow Norse. He is zealous to the cause and good in the ways to express himself and believes that one does not need to die in battle to travel to Valhalla, the means of war has changed too much since those scriptures were written. He do however enjoy the aspects of war and the strategies behind victory and he believes this still makes him worthy in the eyes of the Aesir.

However the death of the previous Fylkir and the quick and unfair vote to continue to pass the Fylkariate to Hemming has caused a lot of instability in the realm. In hopes to make Chief Ulitis change his mind, almost the entire council is sent to persuade him.

Some string of luck comes as the the Byzantine emperor dies and the alliance between the Estrid's and Murzuphlos is severed. But it doesn't matter much, the Estrid's has many new troops coming from Hungary on ships who lands and engage the Scanian's in Halland. Commander Pridbjørn manages to trick the enemy into a beneficial position for him, forcing them to fight at a lower number.

But it still ends in defeat. With that defeat and numbers weak in Skåne, the despicable swine of Desmond decides to press his claim on the Jarldom of Skåne. Luckily he has no one to support him. Hemming not wanting to prolong the loosing war against the Estrid's agrees to pay war reparations.

But it does not end there, sensing weakness in the new Fylkir the Swedish King declares a holy war to retake some of his old land. He's joined by some peasant rabble who sympathies with him in Åland.

Rikissa finally bears a child! Hemming prays to the gods for a strong and healthy baby boy. But soon enough he has to take to the field again to fight in Ireland but his main force focuses first on the Catholic peasants. Being mostly made up of light infantry they are easily dispersed of. A small retinue in Ireland led by Hemming himself takes care of the Desmond rebellion.

Soon enough the farmers and borgare of Åland gives up and hand over their leader. News arrive that a large force of Irish troops has been spotted in Skåne, apparently Ulitis had dispatched all his troops to Skåne to try and take the fortress of Trelleborg. It suits Hemming perfectly as most of his soldiers are just close-by. In Trelleborg under siege the first son of Hemming is born named after the late father of the Jarl.

The Scanian army arrives in Skåne and lifts the siege, leaving near no traitor alive in the ensuing battle. The traitor is forced to surrender with no troops left and no one to support him. He's confident that he will simply be forced to confess his loyalty to the Fylkariate and he would be returned to Ireland without further punishment. However Hemming is not his not as compassionate to traitors as his Father or Grandfather. In chains infront of Hemming he smiles waiting for the demand but his face turns white as he hears his judgement.

"Filth like you do not deserve the mercy of the Gods, into the pit of snakes with this swine!"

However the von Marienburg family has to close of a tie with the Vogelius house and as such he does not relinquish their titles but he does take Guaridanship of Ulitis heir, swearing he will not see this taint happen again upon the blood of Dýrlingur Milzas.

Political Map

Religious Map

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012
The house "af Milzas" will not be tainted by the likes of Ulitis! May Gauronas af Milzas become a man more like his dýrlingur grandfather than his traitor of a father.

Wentley
Feb 7, 2012
drat. That new empire is scary.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Now with only the Swedes left to fight the outlook for the realm is much brighter. However the year of 1222 starts with bad news. The Most Loyal servant, Steward Gao of Skåne who had served the Vogelius family for three generations when he was given as a gift by a traveling Hindu merchant to Jarl Gnupa, The First Fylkir. Sixty five long years of service he became the man in the background the entire realm relied on without ever knowing. In these many years, he made sure that the coffers of Trelleborg would not run dry, he made sure the soldiers stomachs did not go empty. It is indeed a sad day, but even worse is that as time goes on he will be mostly forgotten. After all he was but a Thrall.

The ranks are quickly refilled and the Swedes and their allies does their best to catch the army unaware but fails and a battle takes place on the fields of Skara. However they still have the numerical advantage being reinforced by the soldiers from Trøndelag.

With their victory the Swedish king manages to convince some local peasants in the realm to take up arms in name of their Christian God. All of these constant trials thrown against him, Hemming start to loose his zealous nature. However he press on and recollects what is left in manpower and strikes against the Swedish and Trøndelag armies.

The center flank falls quite quickly making the other flanks eventually fall apart from not being protected. Its a devastating defeat for the invaders and the Scanian army regains some prestige!

In order to ensure the loyalty and support of the lords in Skåne so that he can keep fielding a large army against any threats, Hemming decides to invest in establishing a formal Etiquette and procedure at the court of the Jarl. Setting what is befitting behavior of a Lord at the court of the Fylkir.

The army is sent north to deal with the catholic peasants that had taken arms. They offer no resistance and are dispersed easily off with minimum losses. With the local support gone and no more soldiers or money at the Swedish-Norwegian King's disposal, the war ends.

Its been a few pressing years on the Kingdom, however with the surrender of the Swedish king a large influx of wealth comes to the treasury of Trelleborg in the shape of war reparations. To forget the past defeats and the ever pressing threat against the realm Fylkir Hemming decides to do something grand and he will do it at the Winter Blót of the year 1225 where all the lords of the realm will take part. Several prisoners taken during the war are sacrificed in the honor of the gods. However at the feast....

At the feast inside Trelleborg's ceremonial longhouse its lively as the feast is about to start however as the chancellor cries out the lords voices dies down. The Chancellor continues...

"Berfore you are the 6th descendant of Henrik, Grandchild of His Most Holy, Fylkir of the Norse Faith."

Hemming lifts a metal ring from the table over his head as the chancellor finish with "King of the Scanian people! Long Live the Fylkir! May Vogelius rule eternal!"

The news spread quickly throughout Europe, most Kings and Emperors denounce the claims of even the notion that there would be a crown of the Skåne or even that the Scanian people were anything but Danes- However Hemming's ward Gauronas of Desmond takes his guardian as example of how a proper Norse man should be and becomes an ambitious boy.

Some catholic peasants don't take the declaration as well and rebel. However being at peace they are taken care of within half a year. All these conflicts have made blacksmiths and the soldiers learn huge lessons by constantly being able to throw their theories into practice.

Education of the young child of the traitor goes well and eventually Gauronas even manages to learn to speak Danish proper. Gauronas show real potential quite quickly and he even takes after King Hemming and becomes quite gregarious and well versed in the dealings of court and lords.

The training of the little chieftain is only stopped by the news that Hemmings wife Rikissa is pregnant.

The same year, 1228, it becomes clear that the bitter rivalry between the Estrid's and Vogelius will never end. The armies are immediately assembled and the war reparations from the Swedish king are used to ensure the safety of the realm. On the field Hemming hears that his second son has been born. Luckily shortly afterward a Jihad is declared for Aragon by the Muslim powers, making the holy orders busy in the south of Europe.

The soldiers rush to the Islands, one detachment sieges the old capital of Halland while the others take on the Islands. A Sicilian army makes landfall in Själland to try and take it but the Scanian army is prepared and defends the island with reinforcements incoming. They manage to get 10 000 men on the Island and it becomes too much for the hired Scottish Band to handle and reinforcements are taken from Fyn to make it hold out.

Even with this victory it looks bleak, the enemy numbers are overwhelming and the coffers are almost empty of wealth. However Hemming gets an idea, his army makes sure in the midst of battle to capture important noble men leading the armies. These are then extorted on their wealth for their safe return in order to keep the treasury stable of Skåne.

The Hungarians try to invade over the sound but the Scanian army is there to receive them. Another great victory is won outside Trelleborg against the remnaints of the Sicilian army.

The battles gives more prisoners to fuel the Scanian war machine but the war is still far from over...

And more great armies seem to be marching west....

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014
Hopefully the mongols make it west enough to tie the cross-men up with the shenanigans.

Wentley
Feb 7, 2012
There is a bunch of Skåne-dinavia that needs to be taken! That is, if you ever get a break from constant attempts to destroy the true faith.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Wentley posted:

There is a bunch of Skåne-dinavia that needs to be taken! That is, if you ever get a break from constant attempts to destroy the true faith.

Yeah its getting annoying to be constantly holy warred in a cycle by my neighbors.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Defending Denmark is a dream, all armies eventually cross into Sjealland, where you can slaughter them because of the strait crossing penalties.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

In the battles against the Estrid Empire our Fylkir is wounded in combat with Polish warriors however victory is still assured. The Greeks have yet to come to aid their northern allies as they have been fighting the Seljuk Sultanate for a third time over the Kingdom of Azerbaijan. A marriage is done between Hemming's sister and the heir and the chieftains of the Finish land to ensure their loyalty during this time of need.

However eventually just as in the Crusade for Sweden the Hungarian troops come to the Scanian land through the Pagan lands to the east.

The Hungarians rush from the North to unite with their Polish troops that had landed with galleys at the coast of Skåne and tries to catch the Scanian soldiers taking down the old capital of the Estrids. However they are intercepted by Scottish mercenaries and stops them from breaking the siege.

Even the King of the Estrid Empire himself partook in the battle against the hired men of Scotland. The outlook starts good but as the experienced warriors of Hungary full strength was on the lines of the mercenaries they eventually fell and was defeated.

With the defenders gone, the Hungarian troops march on and engage the soldiers unaware in Halland and are caught between the fortress and the enemy. The brave warriors of Trelleborg hold out for a full month against the twice their size Hungarian army until the reinforcements defending the Islands finally arrives to rescue them from their fate. Thanks to having been capable of delaying them for so long the Scanian army puts its full strength in destroying the Hungarian army.

With the Hungarian army pushed back and a chance of breathing is giving the armies are reorganized and new young boys are drafted from the villages to fulfill their debt to the Kingdom, to die gloriously in battle and defend their home against the invaders.

With the small time to prepare for another invasion, Hemming has his court take care of his wound and it develops into an ugly scar.

The Estrids try with their renewed forces to gain access through the Belt however the Scanians have already mobilized their troops to the island of Fyn. Meanwhile the Estrids try to find another way the Ward Gauronas grows up to a strong man and becomes married to the Fylkirs sister, however having been educated by Hemming the young Chief was already quite loyal.

The year of 1232 the Estrids surrender to the Kingdom of Skåne, having exhausted all options to get a decisive victory they agree to pay war reparations for the war.in order to not lose the land they could not defend. It was essentially a war over the single island of Sjælland and so many young warriors plunged their lives into defending this island so far away from home. But to the Vogelius, that island have been theirs for several hundreds of years, the heartland of Skåne consisting of Skåne, Själland and Bornholm.

With the growth of Skåne, the increase of influence and the wealth of trade that reaches it. In the great cities of Trelleborg, Uppsala and Cork there has come an emergence of a new kind of member in the society dealing mostly with craftmanship and trade. Of course these have always existed but they have started to gain more and more influence within the Kingdom and even reaching as far as the court. But most important is the emergence of new methods to construct improvements on the fortresses cheaper with less manpower than ever before.

With some peace the Allthing convenes in Håtuna to discuss what needs to be done and the matter of Ireland is brought up again and the Fylkir agrees to fulfill his forerunners promises. However it becomes quite clear on the meeting that Chief Sivard of Själland has grown quite powerful within the Thinge as have been in charge of the front-line on the islands to defend the realm.

With the merchant and craftmen becoming new numerous, a new city on the western coast in a natural bay facing the island of Själland a new city starts to take form as people move closer to the important trade lanes that pass through the sound. New laws are aswell enacted to centralize the state more, giving the King more power in times of war to defend the realm.

A look is done on what is known of the rest worlds military and it becomes determined that in all of Europe that the Viking Housecarls of Trelleborg were the finest of warriors who made even Emperors envious the closest rival being the Bohemian King's royal guard in Prague.

With the prestige of the Vogelius family and the victories of the Kingdom, the court of the Fylkir is very much sought after as a place of opportunity where warriors flock to. The adventurous warrior is given position as commander for his martial skills and is even given a wife, a gydja named Signe.

However after a year the economy and military of Skåne has recovered and as such Fylkir Hemming declares war on the Kingdom of Mumu. Being of Viking nature a lot of ships are available to transport the army of 7 000 soldiers to Desmond in order to fight the Irish. Of course with news of another Kingdom of Catholic faith being at the sword tip of Skåne the catholic peasants rise up in protest.

The war becomes a long staring contest as the alliance against the Viking invaders led by the powerful Black King of Gwynedd, Iacob V fields more troops than the Scanian army. The commander Vilfred decides to focus on siege and pillaging the landscape before engaging the enemy.

(Apparently, two generations back Iacob IV had married a Mandé woman he brought home from a Crusade....)

The years pass, and the duke of Obotritia hear of the conquest in Ireland, figuring that the homeland is defenseless, Branimir "The Fat" declares a holy war for the island of Rügen to take it back for his duchy. With the news of the new front on the heathens the Welsh and Irish alliance starts moving and consolidating their soldiers to prepare an offensive.

Its a massive battle with huge casualties but the Irish aren't used to fighting with more technologically advanced warriors as the like of Skåne and their commanders who have participated in more conflicts than any other lord in Europe, having refined their skill and mastered the art of warfare. Their numbers dwindle quickly and even though they start with numerical superiority they drop like flies.

This defeat terrifies the leaders of the British Isles, there are even reports of several thousand good catholic men dying in the lapse of a single day. The Vikings were monsters, they were the scourge of god and their terror has once again returned. They immediately sue for peace in hopes that they shall be spared.

With now the war in Ireland over, the soldiers return home, the Obotritia soldiers taking their claim of Rügen while the small army of Pomerania has landed a small army in the cold north of Skåne. Fylkir Hemming however doesn't see the invaders as much as a threat, but he's tired of the catholic peasants constantly rebelling and decides to first focusing on taking them out.

The Aragon Colony of Algiers

Norse faith ruling with an iron fist

Realms of 1235

Religions of 1235

Cultures of 1235

Groogy fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Feb 20, 2015

Mr.Morgenstern
Sep 14, 2012

What's that blue culture in the middle of Iberia?

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

The Kingdom of Castile is ruled by the Swedish family called Stråben.... So that's Swedish culture, no idea how they got there but they seem to be there to stay, been there for over like 5-8 generations :shrug:

Wentley
Feb 7, 2012
Are the patches of blue-grey in the religious map a catholic heresy?

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat

Wentley posted:

Are the patches of blue-grey in the religious map a catholic heresy?

Yup, Cathar I think.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Yeah, when they lost both holy wars and crusades against me their morale authority got a big dip and some heresies popped up.

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012
Caliph Lot of the Shia... from where does he rule? Doesn't sound like a commonly Arabic name to me.

Wentley
Feb 7, 2012

mcclay posted:

Yup, Cathar I think.

Groogy posted:

Yeah, when they lost both holy wars and crusades against me their morale authority got a big dip and some heresies popped up.

Nice! I tend to play CK2 now as a game of: try and see how many heresies I can get to replace the main religions. Which is tough and pretty rewarding.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

The Pomeranian soldier numbers are nothing in comparison to the Scanian army marching north to deal with the Catholic rebels who has gained a stronghold in the most northern parts of Skåne. The Muslims desperate attempt to revive the Andalusian sultanate fails and the Catholics are victorious.

The catholic rebels are killed of and their leader executed for his crime before the focus shifts back again on the Obotorites currently attempting to take the fortress of Trelleborg.

The followers of Zoroaster seems to be struggling to determine what way is correct, the old Zoroastrian faith or the way prophesied by Mazdaki the Younger.

Even though the Scanian army is almost a years travel away from their capital, Fylkir Hemming does not fear that Trelleborg would fall to the enemy as its the most fortified city and fortress in the entire region and he is sure it will hold out until his army arrives. However the Obotrites are quite worried about the marching Scanian army coming for them. So when the uncle of the Fylkir, the chief of Blekinge, raises his army to go on the longboats and raid the coast of Europe the Obotrites rushes to engage them, thinking it is a part of the Royal army of Skåne.

With this mistake, the Obotrites are left with just scrapes left of an army and as such has essentially lost the war.

Prince Jørgen comes of age at the year of 1237 in late august. He's shown to be quite liked by the various female courtiers in Trelleborg, he firmly believes in the principles of just rule and charity to his people. He's also quite proud of his family and their vast realm in Scandinavia. Quite the competent diplomat as well.

Hemming decides to arrange a betrothal with a nine year old girl named Agnethe, vassal to Sivard of Själland. A young girl that has shown great promise and is believed to be a good future queen of the Scanian Kingdom.

(Sorry forgot I was playing a story here and accidentally power gamed a little)

To show the duke that Skåne would not be beaten by him, Hemming launch an invasion of Rügen to retake the island and from there invade the Pomeranian land. However Hemming was too eager to invade and winter hits making food scarce for the army on the small island. However the siege is eventually won and the remnants of the soldiers invade Dymin

The duke tries to take back the island again but the Scanian army engages them after finishing their own siege. Its an easy victory and the Obotrites are left with nothing left to defend their land at its but a matter of time before they are all occupied. They surrender to the Norse invaders whom they themselves had tries to invade.

Since the neighbors of the Vogelius dynasty would never let them rest, that warfare would be a constant thing of the Kingdom was clear as such Hemming declares more support for the Royal Housecarl guard is to be given and the training ground and housing for them is enlarged and improved in the fortress of Trelleborg.

In celebration of the victory a Blót is held in the winter to honor the gods.

Even with the feast and the victory, Hemming can feel the pressure of defending the Kingdom and he wants to improve, he wants to be stronger and he wants to lead his troops and protect the people of his Kingdom. His humble nature gotten the best of him, not seeing his subjects as tools to use but nobles whom he had obligations to. As such he starts to train and practice relentlessly every day together with his Housecarls, spurring them to not lose to their King in devotion to the Kingdom. Over the months and years this occurrence become a tradition and the attitude of the housecarls slowly shifts that their loyalty is in the Kingdom, just as King and Fylkir Hemming was loyal to his realm.

Constantly training with his most veteran soldiers, he gets a direct experience of their skill and he stops being afraid of battle. Knowing that these men will never lose to any foe and will protect him and the realm against any odds he puts a blind faith on them.

However inheritance laws are a messy business and the King of Trøndelag has managed to sneak his way into declaring that Jernbæraland is part of his Kingdom. Hemming realizes that the petty successor states of the old and forgotten Kingdom of Norway are starting to consolidate and actually become a threat on the actual peninsula against the Fylkariate and the Kingdom of Skåne and something must be done.

But for now the armies of Skåne rest.

The King of England is in a tight spot, being at war with both the French and the Holy Roman Empire, the German Emperor in Jülich demanding York of the English and the French wanting to return Normandie to them.

The Kingdom of Aquitaine collapse in civil war is taken advantage of by the Duke of Bourbon, a french vassal of the Empire.

However as a year pass the armies of Skåne stand ready for another conflict, the old eye for an eye proverb comes to mind.... but for Hemming he decided a Head for an Eye was more fitting...
A huge calling of men is done declaring that by decree of the Fylkir that the war was of holy nature, that it was to retake the land of their ancestors and that Odin demanded retribution. The Kingdom of Trøndelag responded by summoning their fellow states of Norway all over the peninsula.

Not letting the Norwegians to consolidate Hemming wipes out the formidable army of Akershus. The Holy Orders are quick to take up on the calls of the Norwegian nobles and come to their aid. The Orders are quite experienced in fighting the Norse threat however all of these wars has mostly taken place in the forests and fields of Skåne and Sweden, not in the Norwegian mountains during winter...

However believing they have god on their side and their cause is just they engage the Scanian army in Værmland south of Jernbæraland. Reinforcements are on the way to the battle but they soon discover something suprising they would not believe. Their way of war had become outdated, their soldiers decadent in comparison and their swords and shields not as strong as the Scanian ones.

Even though flanks were outnumbered, they kept up with the enemy flanks, always being a step ahead, giving the main flank time to defeat each flank one by one.

The entire army of Santiago is defeated and forced back out to sea. With the push Hemming did for a stronger military and the declaration of the first Norse Holy war in history, it opened up ideas of the vassals in the Kingdom. And on the month of May in 1242 the strong Chieftain of Blekinge, Uncle Lennart of the King, declares his own Holy war on the Duchess of Obotritia. Fylkir Hemming opened up a new age for the Norse faith by allowing the idea of that a war could be of holy nature, that the Catholics must be purged from the shores of Pomerania.

It also doesn't seem like they will be capable of stopping the invasion of Norse warriors.

The defeat of the Holy Order of Santiago shows to be devastating for the morale of the Norwegian nobles, they already starting to contemplate to pull out of the war. The warriors of Blekinge are quick to land on the shores and even some other vassals of the Kingdom join in on the war to fulfill the will of the gods.

The Norwegians try once again, with the Knights Templar to support them and some Santiago commanders left behind. However the effectiveness of the Scanian army shows itself quickly against the Catholic soldiers of faith. This time the loss is too much to take for them....

... and the King of Trøndelag surrenders to the Fylkir.

Now the Petty Kingdom of Trøndelag dismantled and conquered, the dominance of Skåne yet again ensured a domestic problem appeared. The Allthing demands that the Fylkir is not allowed to keep the Duchy of Trøndelag for himself but he must choose someone to govern this vast region of land and mountains for him. As such they convene in Håtuna to discuss as to who is to govern the Duchy and the county of Trøndelag.

Realms of 1235

Religions of 1235

Cultures of 1235

Groogy fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Feb 24, 2015

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Will put up the Allthing vote post tomorrow with details on options for who to become the Duke of Tröndelag

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

The Fylkariate has assembled to discuss the issue of Trøndelag. A large duchy encompassing all of eastern and northern Norway. With the new demesne the nobles of the Kingdom are worried that the King is binding too much power to himself giving the nobles no freedom to maneuver politically and that holding another duchy title besides the old title of Skåne would give the King and Fylkir even more power in the Allthing. As such the nobles shall decide who shall be the rightful successor of the Norwegian lands. Keep in mind that the duchy of Trøndelag will still remain a vassal under the Kingdom of Skåne.

The first and most obvious that the Allthing propose is Seidsman Ragnvald of Naumadal. The temple of Mære has ever since the Scanish Invasion of Norway been the capital of the northern lands in Scandinavia, being the informal liege of the vassals north of Uppland. Ragnar is proud and socialize with the elites of the Kingdom quite frequently and as such has several that speaks for him.

The second choice is Chief Vilfred, who was given Hålogaland in the duchy of Trøndelag as reward for his service to the Kingdom. If you do not remember him he is the famous warrior who appeared at the court of King Hemming offering his services as a competent military leader and he was given the command of the Royal Army. He's one of the most competent military leaders in the entire Kingdom the only ones having a stronger renown of their skills are the Marshal of Viken, the Marshal of Finnmark and the Marshal of Blekinge.

The third choice was forced by Fylkir Hemming to be included in the vote. His own son, Prince Jørgen of Skåne. His motivation being that the family of Vogelius must be represented as an option being the ruling family of the Kingdom and the force that has made the entire Allthing even possible.

The candidate chosen will also be given the county of Trøndelag to make their capital seat in the duchy.

The Fylkariate has become extremely strong, being made up of the ever growing ruling class of the Kingdom. The chieftains of Skåne has slowly been starting to move towards customs that resemble that of the nobility in the rest of Europe, thanks to having exclusivity in being part of the court of the Scanian King and the Fylkir Allthing. With the declaration of holy wars and the victories of these, it doesn't seem like there is anything currently that will stop the words or demands stated by the Fylkariate.

Currently the chieftain of Sjælland has gathered a lot of support in the Allthing and it's become quite clear that upon the death of Fylkir Hemming that Sivard of Vogelius will become the next leader of the Norse faith.

The country is stronger than it has been ever before with riches coming both from trade, craftsmanship and even distant plunder. Its looking as if the Kingdom of Skåne is heading into a golden age of conquest and prosperity unless some external threat appears. Since the last Fylkir Allthing assembly, the income of the Kingdom have doubled and the income from cities has nearly tripled.

Most of the nation has as well converted into the Norse faith, with only small churches still in use at most places in the Kingdom. However the Norwegian territory just acquired is purely Catholic which might pose an issue in the future.

Even though the French manages to take a chunk of Normandie to themselves the Kaiser is unsuccessful in his attempt to invade the British isles and take York as a beachhead.

Scotland has been expanding in the north of Ireland and the Fylkir will start a new invasion on the green Isle as soon as this assembly has been dealt with to grab as much as possible of the Island before the Scottish or Welsh take it.

The Kingdom of Jerusalem remains strong, being almost on equivalent strength as the Kingdom of Skåne in terms of manpower and wealth. Being of the Salian dynasty he has the protection of the allmighty Kaiser of the Holy Roman Empire and as such the neighboring Arab stats have been completely unable to retake the holy city.

The Ilkhanate and Golden Horde have run out of steam as they have lost weak opponents to fight, their main rival in the region being the humongous Turkestan and the Seljuk Empire.

And here comes the vote, who is to gain the duchy title of Trøndelag and all the land that belongs to it by law as vassals and the capital seat of Audunborg. Time limit of this vote is 8th of March. Remember to use the symbol to make my job easier.

Governship of Trøndelag and the entirety of its historical borders
Option 1: Seidsman Ragnvald of Naumadal, the temple holder of Mære has controlled the northern lands for a hundred years.
Option 2: Commander Vilfred who was just given the chiefdom of Hålogaland as reward for his service.
Option 3: Prince Jørgen of Vogelius as this is indeed the age of nepotism and the benefits of keeping the land are not small.

Groogy fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Feb 25, 2015

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012
First of all, while I think we need a strong hand to show the Norwegian Catholics how things are done in Skåne I also think Seidsman Ragnvald would do a much better job at actually converting them to the true faith. But on the other hand establishing a Seidsman with power rivalling that of a Jarl could, in the end, put up some trouble establishing the authority of the Fylkir. We do not want the Temple of Naumadal to choose their own Fylkir now, do we?

So in the end, as good as Seidsman Ragnvald would be at converting the Cross worshippers, I think Chief Vilfred would be a better choice to lead the realm. It is to assume the Catholics will not take this conquest sitting down and will try to retake the lands, which is where Vilfred will be much better at putting them in their place than I think Ragnvald will be.

Option 2, Commander Ragnvald

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Luhood posted:

We do not want the Temple of Naumadal to choose their own Fylkir now, do we?

Haha Anti-Fylkir? We don't want to be too close to Catholicism here no.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

The choice is clear!

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Option 3: the Prince We must look to our house as much as our faith, and our house is best kept safe by maintaining itself over as much of the dominion as possible.

Also get Great Holy Warring for Ireland next time the Kaiser is busy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014

• Locked thread