Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR
Alright need some help, trying to come up with a good norse version of the name "cardinal". A lord who represents his realm and people in the Fylkir Allthing, what would be a good name of such a person?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wentley
Feb 7, 2012

Rubix Squid posted:

The Gods of Milzas, the clan of the Romuva are surely friends of the Aesir, for did they not send him to us to aid in our battles against the tyrannic and envious god of the cross-men? Even though they are not the gods of our people they saw fit to send us a mighty warrior to aid us in our struggle. We would disgrace the All-Father if we did not honor their favor.

Mechanically speaking, modding in some syncretism decisions to allow pagan faiths to merge would be awesome.

This is an interesting idea. Co-opting other gods is a nice way to merge foreigners into your faith. Does it mesh with the catholic-model you're basing the reformed faith on though?

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Its taking shape with the Allthing.... here's a sneakpeak

Also nce little thing I didn't think about, since I am the religious head, I am the one that appoints all the "cardinals". Right now I've named them Thingeman until I can come up with something better.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Haha, masculine form Chosen? Heck of a thing to call the female preferati. I forget what the general members of the Alþingi were called, other than Þingmenn, but if you're continuing the idea that these are simply elected by other goðar, Stór-Goðar would be fine. That's what the more powerful ones were called anyway. Arch-Godis or whatever if you want to keep with the semi-English format, or Stor-Godis if you want it in Swedelish~

As for Dýrlingar, a reformed religion could go any old way. What would the definition of a Nordic miracle even be? Not dying? Seems kinda inept to me. If being sainted has any mechanical benefit, it would more be that they were worthy of a Saga? And then people could trace their roots back to that; Milzas Saga would be a fine thing, Saint Milzas, eh. To say you were the descendant of Milzas of the saga would also be cool; but the Norse faith never believed in much more than the power of man himself. Even the gods were often there just as much to be a lesson on what not to do as what you should do.

But like I said, this reformed religion could be whatever. I just don´t find the idea of Norsemen venerating people as anything other than heroes very plausible.

Mr.Morgenstern posted:

I had this idea bouncing around my head about Norse holy orders, since we're modding more stuff for the Norse. How about you make an all female holy order, called the Shield-maidens of Freya or something. I just think a female holy order would be cool. v:shobon:v
You could try and frame it as women taking a bold step to move with the times, for them to take arms against to gain access to Valhöll, or possibly the reformation is in some ways as liberal as the modern one and death by combat isn't the only way in there?

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

So for the first time the Allthing of the Fylkariate assemble to discuss matters of state and religion. This is an open vote for anyone that reads this, you are free to vote on anything and are not required to do any motivation as of why, but I would love to see people motivate themselves as of why they've chosen to vote the way they have. In order to do a vote you post here in this thread and something in style with this format:

quote:

Subject of the vote: Option 1
Subject of another vote: Option 1

In order to make my life easier, when you do a vote, please post with this picture in your post:

Before the Voting proceeds the Allthing will go through the state of the Norse faith, the various realms members of the Fylkariate and the rest of the world.

The Fylkariate has just been formed, and the entire assembly has not yet been filled. Currently consisting only of 8 lords out of 12 possible seats. If you do not count his holiness the Fylkir himself, two of these seats are held by Vogelius members, Bodil of Bornholm who look to become the next Fylkir. The other is Karl of Blekinge. The chieftain of Desmond has been given a seat in recognition of the accomplishments of his father. We also have Svend of Naumdal, the keeper of the holy site Mære. Jens af Bornholm who were given Gestrikland is also given a position at the Thing. There are also two finish rulers who have been admitted.

The last is a convert who confessed his faith to the Aesir upon the invasion of Sweden and the formation of the Fylkariate. We have Henrik Horn of Helsingland.

There is also the matter of how little people of the lands who adhere to the Norse faith which is something the Fylkariate will have to deal with as fast as possible.

In the entire world there are 2 norse provinces, Skåne and Uppland!

Thingeman Svend of Naumdal, speaking on behalf of the gydja's is worried about that Uppland and Uppsala, the most holy place of the Norse faith as it were the reigning seat of so many legendary heroes and even gods! At this moment this land his held by his holiness the Fylkir Gnupa and he by every right, both divine and by law, should hold this land. However what worries the Gydja's are what happens upon Gnupa's ascension to Valhalla, the successor of Uppland is Gotfred Gnupasen and he is not in line to become the next Fylkir.

With the victory over the Catholics and now independence, the old griffon symbol that made up the flag of Skåne didn't feel fitting anymore. As such Gnupa had it replaced with a new one sporting a classical raven on it.

The treasury is at the moment running a small deficit as it is refilling the ranks of the Fylkir's housecarl guard. However this will be quickly remedied by going back to the good ol' tradition known as going on a "Viking". Several vassals has already taken back this and coming back with longships filled with treasures. Both the Christian and Muslim world are stumped on this old horror returning.

There is also an issue of being such a large nation now, with a lot of different cultures and even religions inside it. Trouble is brewing with Catholic lords wanting to get their independence. There is an idea of forming duchies which will be given to a lord faithful to the true faith, pacifying the problem somewhat by not letting the cross-worshipers band together.

Unfortunately it seems as if the Lithuanian King's son has turned catholic, a lot of his land is still Romuvan so if we are lucky we might see a resurgence of Romuvan leadership and maybe even Romuvan reformed faith. England is being torn apart by revolts and Scotland have started expanding into Ireland. The Stråben family are still ruling as Kings of Castille which still amuses me. Jerusalem is in the middle of 4 different blobs but they live and German culture have started to migrate to the Levant. Shia seem to have been taking an upperhand, both the Fatimids and the empire of Arabia support it. The Turkish people of the steppes seem to be mostly united under Murad 'the Great' of Turkestan, a huge realm who can summon ten thousand men. However it is nothing in relation to the Seljuks or Byzantine who can muster three times that.

Something that worries me is the Kaiser of the Holy Roman Empire, He can muster 34 000 troops to fight me in case something really bad happens. So far the germans have been quite docile and not expanded too much, their borders have for most of it been static, it is more the vassals on the border of the empire that invades foreign land.

So since this is the first calling of the Fylkariate's Allthing we will have quite a few subjects needed to be voted on. The time-limit for this is one week, so next Friday the 9th of January. Feel free to discuss your decisions and motivate. Some of them might not have a direct in-game effect but it will affect how I write the Reformation events in EU4 and other similar things.

Dýrlingur recognition and the matter of Milzas
Throughout the history of Scandinavia and the norsemen, there's been several legends of mere men who accomplished great deeds giving them the favor of the gods. The matte here is if veneration of these shall be deemed heretical or if it shall be an integral part of the faith? A side matter of this is the case of Milzas, the great commander nicknamed "The Wolf" for his great conquests and victories against the cross-worshipers and paved the ground for the reformation.
Option 1: We shall not resort to the same methods as our enemies! (Make veneration of Dýrlingur heretical)
Option 2: Dýrlingur's are part of our faith, however Milzas was not welcomed to Valhalla as such he can not be one. (Allow Dýrlingur veneration but Milzas is not given the saint trait)
Option 3: Milzas deserves the praise for what he did for all of us! (Allow Dýrlingur veneration and make Milzas a saint)
Edit Note: Due to confusion, I used worship as a word which was dumb, I do not mean to put them on equal footing with the Aesir but just like how Saints are treated in the Catholic world.

The Holy Lands problem
Our holy lands are not in some desert, they are right here around us. The issue here is that the one most holy, the land of Uppsala which has been the reigning seat of many legendary hereos and even gods! It needs to be cared for and properly respected as such the one who holds Uppsala is the successor of Odin and Njord.
Option 1: The land belongs to the Vogelius family and we do as we wish with it!(Nothing changes)
Option 2: The land should pass on with whoever is voted the Fylkir upon the ascension of the previous most holy.(The county of Uppland will be transferred with Fylkariate Succession)
Option 3: The land belongs to the faith and the ones who should protect it should be the Gydja of Uppsala. (Uppsala is made capital of Uppland and given the county title)

The Prussian Ireland
The land of Desmond has long belonged to the Vogelius family, but during all the wars, transporting troops from or to there is not an option. So far we have been lucky to not have been attacked there but with Scotland invading Ireland we do not now how long that will last. As such we have to discuss the options.
Option 1: The land is ours and we won't ever let it go! (Nothing)
Option 2: The land should be abandoned before we get a catholic holy war on our hands (Give independence to Desmond)
Option 3: We should take the remaining land of Ireland by force! (Try and create a Norse realm in Ireland)

Dissidents in Sweden
With this sudden growth of Skåne, the inclusion of a lot of Christian vassals is causing problems. They want to rebel, overthrow the rule of our dear Fylkir and we have to decide on how to deal with this matter on a religious level as well. Should we fall down to the level of our enemies or shall we be more tolerant? They also inhibit us right now from changing our succession laws to something better than Gavelkind.
Option 1: Imprison them, sacrifice them and replace them with new noble families! (Will take a lot of tyrany and a lot of problems, but will solve the matter quickly)
Option 2: Divide and conquer, do not let them assemble their troops. (Will create duchy titles, give to a Norse lord and give him a catholic vassal to mange making it much safer from uprisings and creating a lot of independent Norse realms)
Option 3: Let them have their faith but do not tolerate uprisings! (Will try and slowly convert them with the Court Seer)
Option 4: We should not resort to the methods of those who brought us pain centuries ago, we shall tolerate this faith. (Nothing happens)

Groogy fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Jan 2, 2015

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Deceitful Penguin posted:

But like I said, this reformed religion could be whatever. I just don´t find the idea of Norsemen venerating people as anything other than heroes very plausible.

Which is why it is a vote now ;)
Keep in mind everything that happens in CK2 will affect what happens later in EU4, more or less for several reasons you've already given. Kinda why I wanted to make it all interactive is because, heck this is a unknown religion! WE CAN DO WHATEVER WE WANT WITH IT! :D

When it came to the names, I couldn't come up with better so I just went with it as a "close enough".
Think about that the ones in the council are not religious (only one of them holds a temple, the rest are secular rulers so far) so calling them Godi or Gydja is not applicable.

Edit: To flesh out a little, yes a saint would be someone worthy of a Saga, meaning Rangar Lodbrok would also be a saint, Eric the Red, etc.
Milzas gave his life fighting the catholic holy orders, and he paved the way for the reformation of the faith, without him it would not have been possible. As such his legacy is remembered through the new sagas.

Hmm this holy scripture will also get a "Old" and a "New" part thanks to the conversion of Scandinavia. Kinda funny to think about.

Groogy fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jan 2, 2015

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Hmm....

Dýrlingur recognition and the matter of Milzas: 3

Let the heroes, old and new receive proper respect!

Holy Lands Problem:

Let the holy land be the place of the Fylkir!

The Prussian Ireland: 3

I just find the idea of a Norse realm in Ireland interesting. Plus, gotta spread that faith.

Dissidents in Sweden: 3

Convert them, don't be a tyrant. This whole organized new religion thing is just getting started here and we don't want it associated with that.

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012

Groogy posted:

Troughout the history of Scandinavia and the norsemen, there's been several legends of mere men who accomplished great deeds giving them the favor of the gods. The matte here is if worship of these shall be deemed heretical or if it shall be an integral part of the faith? A side matter of this is the case of Milzas, the great commander nicknamed "The Wolf" for his great conquests and victories against the cross-worshipers and paved the ground for the reformation.
Option 3: Milzas deserves the praise for what he did for all of us! (Allow Dýrlingur veneration and make Milzas a saint)

Milzas the Wolf shall be recognized for all history as a glorious commander, a great warrior and a champion of the Slavic gods. He should be blessed in death by the Fylkir and the Romuva priests alike, and his spirit granted entrance to Valhalla should he wish to do so. He should be granted the status of Dýrlingur and all which it entails him and his family. They may not be gods, but they are to be venerated and respected nonetheless.

Or shortly, what exactly do you mean with "Worship"? If you mean literal worship, as in these are given prayers and sacrifices, then no. If you mean veneration in the same way as the Christian saints are, that is a completely different matter altogether, and in that case Milzas should be included.

Edit:
Changed after great clarity!

Groogy posted:

The Holy Lands problem
Our holy lands are not in some desert, they are right here around us. The issue here is that the one most holy, the land of Uppsala which has been the reigning seat of many legendary hereos and even gods! It needs to be cared for and properly respected as such the one who holds Uppsala is the successor of Odin and Njord.
Option 2: The land should pass on with whoever is voted the Fylkir upon the ascension of the previous most holy.(The county of Uppland will be transferred with Fylkariate Succession)

The lands of Uppsala should be granted the Fylkir, feared and respected be his presence, as lands holy to the Norse faith. In order to be respected in the same way as the Cross and the Crescent the Norse faith too needs a central place or Worship, a place to which our devout can turn for all matters religious. As one of the oldest and most sacred places in all of Norsedom, old Uppsala is the ideal place for such a place of worship and the seat for the great Fylkir which rests therein.

Groogy posted:

The Prussian Ireland
The land of Desmond has long belonged to the Vogelius family, but during all the wars, transporting troops from or to there is not an option. So far we have been lucky to not have been attacked there but with Scotland invading Ireland we do not now how long that will last. As such we have to discuss the options.
Option 3: We should take the remaining land of Ireland by force! (Try and create a Norse realm in Ireland)

Ireland has been raided by our ancestors since ages past, as has been our right as free men of the North. To do anything less than the same would be to disgrace their memory and doom them to be the laughingstock of all of Valhalla. That is why we need to claim the emerald isle for our own, and prove to the Irish that the All-father reigns supreme over their nailed god any time, any place.

Groogy posted:

Dissidents in Sweden
With this sudden growth of Skåne, the inclusion of a lot of Christian vassals is causing problems. They want to rebel, overthrow the rule of our dear Fylkir and we have to decide on how to deal with this matter on a religious level as well. Should we fall down to the level of our enemies or shall we be more tolerant? They also inhibit us right now from changing our succession laws to something better than Gavelkind.
Option 3: Let them have their faith but do not tolerate uprisings! (Will try and slowly convert them with the Court Seer)

The Cross-bearers have long claimed our gods to be false, and that their lord is a merciful one despite their burning of heretics. We shall prove to them that Norsedom is grander, and that their faith is a matter between them and their lord. Put a greater tax on them in exchange for their faith, but do not actively condemn them for following the cross. Their faith is a dooming one, ours doesn't exclude as long as you respect the glory of the All-father and the rest of the Aesir.

Also, I'd like to make a stand for the inclusion of all the northern faiths into a greater Norsedom. Like us the Slavs, the Balts and the Finns all are prayed upon by the cross, our gods and goddesses deemed devils and demons alike. Thus we are all brothers, and we should all be protected under the great Fylkir.

Luhood fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Jan 3, 2015

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Luhood posted:

Or shortly, what exactly do you mean with "Worship"? If you mean literal worship, as in these are given prayers and sacrifices, then no. If you mean veneration in the same way as the Christian saints are, that is a completely different matter altogether, and in that case Milzas should be included.

Like the Catholics, which would be a small step up from how it was in the old faith. I'm only thinking like just like how you could have a charm of protection, you could have a charm of let's say.... Eric the Red for safe voyage to the new world or something. Worship might have been a bad word to use, I'll change it to veneration.

Luhood posted:

Also, I'd like to make a stand for the inclusion of all the northern faiths into a greater Norsedom. Like us the Slavs, the Balts and the Finns all are prayed upon by the cross, our gods and goddesses deemed devils and demons alike. Thus we are all brothers, and we should all be protected under the great Fylkir.

The Fylkir will do anything he can to make the Romuvans come back on the Lithuanian throne, its a large Kingdom forged by Romuvan kings, who fought and won against the Catholics over and over again, we can not permit that the Catholics grab ahold of it.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

Throughout the history of Scandinavia and the norsemen, there's been several legends of mere men who accomplished great deeds giving them the favor of the gods. The matte here is if veneration of these shall be deemed heretical or if it shall be an integral part of the faith? A side matter of this is the case of Milzas, the great commander nicknamed "The Wolf" for his great conquests and victories against the cross-worshipers and paved the ground for the reformation.
Option 1: We shall not resort to the same methods as our enemies! (Make veneration of Dýrlingur heretical)
This sounds way too catholic. We can venerate heroes as heroes, it doesn't need to be religious in nature.

The Holy Lands problem
Option 1: The land belongs to the Vogelius family and we do as we wish with it!(Nothing changes)
Surrendering land? Sounds catholic.

The Prussian Ireland
Not conquering catholics? Sounds catholic.

Dissidents in Sweden
Option 1: Imprison them, sacrifice them and replace them with new noble families! (Will take a lot of tyrany and a lot of problems, but will solve the matter quickly)
Not killing catholics? Sounds catholic.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Something tells me..... when I get to HOI4 and develop nukes you are gonna vote for Option D: "Nuke all the catholics!"
And yes I promise I will provide that option now.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

Groogy posted:

Something tells me..... when I get to HOI4 and develop nukes you are gonna vote for Option D: "Nuke all the catholics!"
And yes I promise I will provide that option now.

I will be very disappointed if there are still catholics left to nuke by then

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

The Holy Lands problem

The Prussian Ireland
Option 2: The land should be abandoned before we get a catholic holy war on our hands (Give independence to Desmond)

Dissidents in Sweden
Option 2: Divide and conquer, do not let them assemble their troops. (Will create duchy titles, give to a Norse lord and give him a catholic vassal to mange making it much safer from uprisings and creating a lot of independent Norse realms)

Wentley
Feb 7, 2012

The Holy Lands problem

The Prussian Ireland

Dissidents in Sweden

With the last one, if they rebel, definitely sacrifice them. Also, if any of them like you enough, ask them to convert.

Jesenjin
Nov 12, 2011

Dýrlingurrecognition and the matter of Milzas: Option 3

The Holy Lands problem: Option 3

The Prussian Ireland: Option 3

Dissidents in Sweden: Option 2

Jesenjin fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jan 2, 2015

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

We must look to our heroes, both in thanks for for what they achieved and to inspire future generations of heroes. 3.

The Holy Lands problem
The Fylkir ruling our Holy sites will give reassurance to the faithful. Let the Fylkir hold Upsala, whoever that may end up being. 2.

The Prussian Ireland
Our distance from the realm of Desmond makes ruling it difficult, but to grant it independence now will mark its days as numbered. We must carve a Norse realm out of Ireland that is capable of standing on its own, then it can be granted independence if it wishes. 3*

Dissidents in Sweden
We have enough enemies abroad, we cannot declare war on our subjects as well. Try to convert as many as possible, but do not make martyrs of those who do not hear the call. 2.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Option 3, the great Sagas of history and the new ones should be remembered and revered as part of the faith.

The Holy Lands problem
Option 2, as the bastion of the Norse faith the Fylkariate should protect the Throne of Odin.

The Prussian Ireland
Option 2, though a repeat of the invasions of Ireland and England throughout history would be admirable there are more pressing matters closer to home.

Dissidents in Sweden
Option 2, reward the Norse lords and fragment the cross-worshippers for the stability of the realm.

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014

Dýrlingur recognition and the matter of Milzas:
Option 3

The Holy Lands problem
Option 1

The Prussian Ireland
Option 3

Dissidents in Sweden
A combination of Option 2 and Option 3
Our gods are more noble than the jealous and petty god of the cross-men. The cross-men are as slaves who have forgotten the taste of freedom, do not punish them for their ignorance but it should be said that it is our duty wean them from their slavery one step at a time.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Option 1: Madness, madness! We are rid of the false priests of the dead god. Let their pathetic traditions die, as they must!

The Holy Lands problem
Option 1: By right of conquest, that land belongs to the Vogelius, forever!

The Prussian Ireland
Option 1: That land is ours! It will always be ours! Death to any who would dare to take from us!

Dissidents in Sweden
Option 1: We can not allow our enemies to have free reign within this, the only Kingdom of the Gods! This land is for us, we fought for it, we bled for it! Let those fools join their dead god in the bowels of Hel! Let our heroes have their just rewards! Let us bring the True Faith back to our misled people!

Lord Cyrahzax fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Jan 3, 2015

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat

Norse Saints and The Wolf
Holy Lands
Ireland
Swedish Not-Pagans
Option 2

Arraxis
Jul 10, 2012

His saga is indeed worthy of being added to the epics. May he serve as a symbol of what it is like to truly possess the heart of the Aesir, even though he may not share our beliefs. For this is more important - what a man is, rather than what he believes. His story shall be told and remembered until Ragnarok is upon us.

The Holy Lands problem
As the home of the holy, it should belong to the god-botherers, and be known to all as a place where they can get in touch with the spiritual.

The Prussian Ireland
Option 1: The land is ours and we won't ever let it go! (Nothing)
As of now we have enemies closer to our borders, and people we would like to pillage moreso than the Irish. We will not surrender what we own, but we will focus out efforts elsewhere until it is their time.

Dissidents in Sweden
While the cross-worshippers do pose a problem with their numbers, a man is ultimately free to choose where his faith lies. We will not force conversion, for that is their way, not ours. If they cause no trouble, they are welcome to their beliefs. However, if after hearing of the Sagas from our seers and they wish to renounce their prior faith, we will welcome them as brothers and sisters.

Ubern00b
Nov 4, 2009

Option 3

The Holy Lands problem
Option 3

The Prussian Ireland
Option 3:
But we should take care to make many more Norse/Germanic states! For surely there are many Germanic people who deserve to see their own faith revised over some desert-born heathenry?

Dissidents in Sweden
Option 1:
Allow them the convert-or-die option.

Stalingrad
Feb 5, 2011

Option 3

The Holy Lands problem
Option 2

The Prussian Ireland
Option 3

Dissidents in Sweden
Option 2

GrabbinPeels
Jan 3, 2010

I only regret not giving up sooner.

Option 3

The Holy Lands problem
Option 1

The Prussian Ireland
Option 3

Dissidents in Sweden
Option 1

Aeromancia
Jul 23, 2013

Option 3

The Holy Lands problem:
Option 2

The Prussian Ireland:
Option 3
but eventually we should release a Norse Ireland ruled by a member of the Vogelius dynasty as a separate nation.

Dissidents in Sweden:
Option 3

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS GUY?
Option 3

The Holy Lands problem:
Option 1

The Prussian Ireland:
Option 3(release it as norse vassal/ally once it's unified and mostly converted)

Dissidents in Sweden:
Option 3

(went on a walk yesterday by the viking grave mounds in Old Uppsala(Uppsala in this game, what is today's Uppsala used to be known as Östra/Eastern Aros and I got reminded of this LP. Funny thing considering the content of the last update. Also, we totes had our wedding photos taken there six years ago. It's awesome living in Uppsala as a history nerd who have also studied the Norse religion)

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Rutkowski posted:

(went on a walk yesterday by the viking grave mounds in Old Uppsala(Uppsala in this game, what is today's Uppsala used to be known as Östra/Eastern Aros and I got reminded of this LP. Funny thing considering the content of the last update. Also, we totes had our wedding photos taken there six years ago. It's awesome living in Uppsala as a history nerd who have also studied the Norse religion)

I just realized I need to port the catholic Pilgrimage to the Norse now... Also Gnupa is getting old so he might be buried there quite soon, being the first Fylkir. Its going to be interesting to see if Bodil Vogelius becomes the nest Fylkir. Going to have to come up with some cool stuff for that definitely.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
I don't car much for voting in LPs. Or roleplaying. In any case, I don't mind not influencing too much; I mostly just wanna hassle you about linguistics and poo poo like that. The Norse used in game annoys me sometimes, though I realize that it's engine stuff mostly. (Gender stuff being the main thing I remember right now)

I guess that CK uses Goði for religions titles so it won't fly here, but it is what they called the strong players in Alþingi so eh.

Speaking of, the Alþingi was more a, political body than a religious one. "Trúþingið" would be one for religions, or "Truthing" if you don't want stuff too Norse.

In addition to that, using cash to fund the elections seems, I dunno. A bit same old? Pagans don't use piety for dick anyhow, why not use it instead? Seeing as they might be more willing to spend something they all pretty much have nothing to use on anyhow, in lands that are still mostly tribal and therefore stone-cold broke, whereas everyone has at least some piety and those that are actually religious and fight for the faith have most of all and therefore can influence more.

Groogy posted:

I just realized I need to port the catholic Pilgrimage to the Norse now... Also Gnupa is getting old so he might be buried there quite soon, being the first Fylkir. Its going to be interesting to see if Bodil Vogelius becomes the nest Fylkir. Going to have to come up with some cool stuff for that definitely.
To be honest, the Trade line from Way of life is much more indicative of the peaceful sort of journey the Vikings would undertake than a pilgrimage. A slightly less involved event about trading in the east would fit, or one with a choice to do some raiding in the west perhaps? Just visiting the sites would be, underwhelming to say the least. "Oh I see it was there that happened,hmm."

And yea, even today the reformed faith, while not having a "New Testament", still deviates somewhat from the text (Stuff like defining "battle" as "Struggle" instead for example).

Does CK2 have event for old Norsemen wanting to die in battle btw? Seems odd not to have something so discussed there.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

In addition to that, using cash to fund the elections seems, I dunno. A bit same old? Pagans don't use piety for dick anyhow, why not use it instead? Seeing as they might be more willing to spend something they all pretty much have nothing to use on anyhow, in lands that are still mostly tribal and therefore stone-cold broke, whereas everyone has at least some piety and those that are actually religious and fight for the faith have most of all and therefore can influence more.

The election system will only be used for putting the election of the next Fylkir out of my hand to make it more interesting, the campaign fund system in the college of cardinals system won't be used at all. Besides all it does is give the AI a hint on who to elect for the next position in the Thing. Also Skåne's realm is actually quite wealthy, and now with that raiding has become common place again now its liberated from Denmark (the second I declared independence I got spammed with messages about fleets returning with loot), its even wealthier. But none the less, campaign funds system is to influence the Pope to elect the next cardinal in Vanilla, this will not be used at all in the LP because it would break immersion. Technically every lord is at the thing (And I view it as everyone who puts a vote here is a noble under the Fylkariate), the ones that are viewed in the screen are simply just the most powerful lords of the Realm. The Things of Scandinavia was actually quite corrupt and controlled by the more influential and wealthier families even though in theory it was a place for all free men. Though in our case their influence only guarantees that it will be someone among themselves that become the next Fylkir.

The History behind the Things are actually quite interesting over time. Don't remember which king but some Scandinavian King had to succumb to the will of a law-speaker who managed to pull quite a political stunt in manipulating the Thing. The guy and his family supposedly had been Lawspeakers for many generations and he of course didn't want to see his power diminished.

To be honest, the Trade line from Way of life is much more indicative of the peaceful sort of journey the Vikings would undertake than a pilgrimage. A slightly less involved event about trading in the east would fit, or one with a choice to do some raiding in the west perhaps? Just visiting the sites would be, underwhelming to say the least. "Oh I see it was there that happened,hmm."

They would still travel to take part in festivities around Yuletid and celebrating the Great Hunt, it wouldn't be that weird that some more pious and wealthier believers would travel to a site such as Uppsala Temple to take part in the Midwinter Blót.

IAnd yea, even today the reformed faith, while not having a "New Testament", still deviates somewhat from the text (Stuff like defining "battle" as "Struggle" instead for example).

I was more referring to that it kind of naturally divides the Viking age in an old part and a new part with new sagas being written yet again. Also today's neo-pagans does not have a holy scripture, at least Forn Sedd in Sweden kind of still practices by-mouth for such things. Also quite import to note is that Sagas are not part of the faith but of the mythology.

Groogy fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Jan 3, 2015

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012

Groogy posted:

The Fylkir will do anything he can to make the Romuvans come back on the Lithuanian throne, its a large Kingdom forged by Romuvan kings, who fought and won against the Catholics over and over again, we can not permit that the Catholics grab ahold of it.

I do not just want to see them back on the Lithuanian throne, I want to take it one step further. Just like the Vanir once joined the Aesir in the halls of Valhalla, so should the Baltic Romuvans, the Finnish Suomenusko, and the Slavic Rodnoverians be granted entrance into Valhalla as equals and allies to the Aesir as well. Only united can we stand against the powers of the Cross, the Crescent, and should it come to it the Star of David. A united northern pantheon can stand strong against the Monotheists of the south, and divided we will only slowly but surely fall to their words like the songs of the sirens of old. Milzas the Wolf was but the first of the Romuva to be recognized as a brother amongst the Einherjar, and I am sure that similarly great warriors exist amongst the Finns and the Slavs as well.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Luhood posted:

I do not just want to see them back on the Lithuanian throne, I want to take it one step further. Just like the Vanir once joined the Aesir in the halls of Valhalla, so should the Baltic Romuvans, the Finnish Suomenusko, and the Slavic Rodnoverians be granted entrance into Valhalla as equals and allies to the Aesir as well. Only united can we stand against the powers of the Cross, the Crescent, and should it come to it the Star of David. A united northern pantheon can stand strong against the Monotheists of the south, and divided we will only slowly but surely fall to their words like the songs of the sirens of old. Milzas the Wolf was but the first of the Romuva to be recognized as a brother amongst the Einherjar, and I am sure that similarly great warriors exist amongst the Finns and the Slavs as well.

Blasphemy! Despite the Wolf's valor, his gods are as false as the Christians'. His belief in them should be seen for what it was: a great tragedy! Imagine what he could have accomplished if he worshiped the true gods! What further wonders he could he have achieved? And now, think of the waste caused by entire civilizations of lost souls! The world must be converted to the worship of our gods, the True Gods, for it to find its potential! To do anything else would be a disservice to all men!

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

Blasphemy! Despite the Wolf's valor, his gods are as false as the Christians'. His belief in them should be seen for what it was: a great tragedy! Imagine what he could have accomplished if he worshiped the true gods! What further wonders he could he have achieved? And now, think of the waste caused by entire civilizations of lost souls! The world must be converted to the worship of our gods, the True Gods, for it to find its potential! To do anything else would be a disservice to all men!

So you are saying the Vanir aren't true then? We need friends to stand with us, not another enemy.

There are many clans of gods, just as there are stars in the sky. To deny any of them makes you the same as the cross-men and their petty tyrant. To us, the Aesir stand above the rest because the same blood courses through our veins. Should any other clans of gods tie themselves to the Aesir with a blood oath we must recognize the deed.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Groogy posted:

Technically every lord is at the thing (And I view it as everyone who puts a vote here is a noble under the Fylkariate), the ones that are viewed in the screen are simply just the most powerful lords of the Realm. The Things of Scandinavia was actually quite corrupt and controlled by the more influential and wealthier families even though in theory it was a place for all free men. Though in our case their influence only guarantees that it will be someone among themselves that become the next Fylkir.

The History behind the Things are actually quite interesting over time. Don't remember which king but some Scandinavian King had to succumb to the will of a law-speaker who managed to pull quite a political stunt in manipulating the Thing. The guy and his family supposedly had been Lawspeakers for many generations and he of course didn't want to see his power diminished.
Hah, yea, I was actually just reading up on that; the only one I'm familiar with was the Icelandic one, where things were a bit more free-for-all, at least until the late period.

Groogy posted:

They would still travel to take part in festivities around Yuletid and celebrating the Great Hunt, it wouldn't be that weird that some more pious and wealthier believers would travel to a site such as Uppsala Temple to take part in the Midwinter Blót.
It wouldn't be wierd yea, but that's the point; it wouldn't be notable either. Part of what made the pilgrimages or Hajj so remarkable was how difficult they could be for those partaking in them; meanwhile the Scandinavians were moving around the place fairly regularly.
The already existing Viking trait is there to show a similar amount of effort for Germanic players; adding it as an event like the trade one or another where it would be an event driven raid would fit it better as is. As the religion expands, it might take a similar amount of effort to reach it.

Groogy posted:

I was more referring to that it kind of naturally divides the Viking age in an old part and a new part with new sagas being written yet again. Also today's neo-pagans does not have a holy scripture, at least Forn Sedd in Sweden kind of still practices by-mouth for such things. Also quite import to note is that Sagas are not part of the faith but of the mythology.
Ásatrúafélagið pays close attention to the Eddas and whatnot, I dunno how the Forn Sedd do thangs.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Update on the current vote of the Allthing. The vote is still open until Friday at midnight.

Option 1(3): The FlyingLlama, Lord Cyrahzax, The Number 9
Option 2(2): DKM, Dayni
Option 3(18): NewMars, Luhood, HiHo ChiRho, Wentley, Jesenjin, GSD, RabidWeasel, Rubix Squid, mcclay, Arraxis, Ubern00b, Stalingrad, GrabbinPeels, Aeromancia, Rutkowski, Attalus, alxeu, Iche_Bins.

The Holy Lands Problem
Option 1(9): TheFlyingLlama, Wentley, Rubix Squid, Lord Cyrahzax, GrabbinPeels, Rutowski, Dayni, alxeu, Iche_Bins
Option 2(11): NewMars, Luhood, HiHo ChiRho, GSD, RabidWeasel, mcclay, Arraxis, Stalingrad, Aeromancia, Attalus, The Number 9
Option 3(3): Jesenjin, Ubern00b, DKM

The Prussian Ireland
Option 1(3): Lord Cyrahzax, Arraxis, Attalus
Option 2(2): HiHo ChiRho, RabidWeasel
Option 3(18): NewMars, Luhood, TheFlyingLlama, Wentley, Jesenjin, GSD, RubixSquid, mcclay, Ubern00b, Stalingrad, GrabbinPeels, Aeromancia, Rutkowski, DKM, Dayni, alxeu, The Number 9, Iche_Bins

Dissidents in Sweden
Option 1(7): TheFlyingLlama, Lord Cyrahzax, Ubern00b, GrabbinPeels, Dayni, The Number 9, Iche_Bins
Option 2(6): HiHo ChiRho, Jesenjin, GSD, RabidWeasel, mcclay, Stalingrad
Option 3(10): NewMars, Luhood, Wentley, Rubix Squid, Arraxis, Aeromancia, Rutkowski, DKM, Attalus, alxeu
Option 4(0):

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Need to come up with what the "Fylkir Land" province modifier will attribute to the province. Its not like Norse religion need more troop modifiers.
Suggestions?

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Higher attrition, as the world itself rises up against those who would dare invade the holy north! :black101:

Or a reduction to revolt risk or something.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

I was sure I had voted but I didn't!

Option 3

The Holy Lands problem;
Option 2

The Prussian Ireland,
Option 2

Dissidents in Sweden
Option 2

Regarding the Fylkir Land, I've always liked the defensive pagan homeland advantage. Let the Norse troops be superhuman when defending the very center of their faith.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

The Allthing of the Fylkariate is now closed and the lords return to their lands. Days later the Fylkir announce the results to the entire Norse world.

Option 1(4): The FlyingLlama, Lord Cyrahzax, The Number 9, alscon
Option 2(2): DKM, Dayni, BlackBishop
Option 3(21): NewMars, Luhood, HiHo ChiRho, Wentley, Jesenjin, GSD, RabidWeasel, Rubix Squid, mcclay, Arraxis, Ubern00b, Stalingrad, GrabbinPeels, Aeromancia, Rutkowski, Attalus, alxeu, Iche_Bins, Elden, Me0334, Torrannor

The Holy Lands Problem
Option 1(10): TheFlyingLlama, Wentley, Rubix Squid, Lord Cyrahzax, GrabbinPeels, Rutowski, Dayni, alxeu, Iche_Bins, alscon
Option 2(14): NewMars, Luhood, HiHo ChiRho, GSD, RabidWeasel, mcclay, Arraxis, Stalingrad, Aeromancia, Attalus, The Number 9, BlackBishop, Me0334, Torrannor
Option 3(4): Jesenjin, Ubern00b, DKM, Elden

The Prussian Ireland
Option 1(3): Lord Cyrahzax, Arraxis, Attalus
Option 2(4): HiHo ChiRho, RabidWeasel, alscon, Torrannor
Option 3(21): NewMars, Luhood, TheFlyingLlama, Wentley, Jesenjin, GSD, RubixSquid, mcclay, Ubern00b, Stalingrad, GrabbinPeels, Aeromancia, Rutkowski, DKM, Dayni, alxeu, The Number 9, Iche_Bins, Elden, BlackBishop, Me0334

Dissidents in Sweden
Option 1(8): TheFlyingLlama, Lord Cyrahzax, Ubern00b, GrabbinPeels, Dayni, The Number 9, Iche_Bins, alscon
Option 2(7): HiHo ChiRho, Jesenjin, GSD, RabidWeasel, mcclay, Stalingrad, Torrannor
Option 3(13): NewMars, Luhood, Wentley, Rubix Squid, Arraxis, Aeromancia, Rutkowski, DKM, Attalus, alxeu, Elden, BlackBishop, Me0334
Option 4(0):

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

In accordance to the will of the Allthing, Gnupa cedes the land of Uppland. It is declared land of the Fylkariate belonging to the gods and shall serve as a common and free place for all freemen who adhere to the true faith. Chief Milzas is declared Dýrlingur for his great deeds in securing the future of the Norse faith and paving the way for the establishment of the Fylkariate. Soon enough you could see small boys wearing bronze charms in shape of Wolfs, their parents hoping that their boys one day shall grow up to become the next Milzas, a great warrior and leader that shall command the armies of the gods for the sake of the future of all.

Shortly afterwards the first son of Gnupa gets his own first child, a boy he and his wife names Hemming.

Henrik of Helsingland converts to the one true faith shortly after the establishment of the Fylkariate. Being of the quite large Horn family he is given one of the more prestigious seats in the Allthing in hopes of him eventually persuading more of his family to follow suit.

His Holiness, Fylkir Gnupa however is becoming an old man and the long war to reclaim Uppsala from the Catholics and the many bloodbaths he has seen have left their deep mark on him and his temper and senses are not what they used to be. It causes some problems with courtiers trying to attend to his needs.

Of course the Swedish nobles refuse to stay under such a unpredictable ruler and heathen who might as well hang them on a whim. The Fylkariate's decree that the ones who worship the god-on-the-cross would be allowed free practice and protection of their rights is fallen on deaf ears and seen as empty promises. After all the Fylkariate is ruled by the very man they want to split away from.

It doesn't help that Gnupa's advance age is taking its toll and he hardly even remember the face of his children. Is this how the man who brought back the true faith ascend? In his bed not even remembering who he is or what he has accomplished? His soul betrayed by his aging mind. However it sparks a discussion among the clergy of the Fylkariate. Does one really need to die in battle in order to ascend to Valhalla? Or does the gods mean 'battle' in a more figurative sense? Because surely a man like Fylkir Gnupa would be invited to dine with the Gods for all his accomplishments no matter how he dies wouldn't he? Its a question that will take centuries to discuss.

Soon enough however the realm implodes in civil war....

The Scanian reserves of troops are scarce and exhausted from the war and they are without any strong leader. The lords that make up the Fylkariate's Allthing takes charge in defense of the Realm and Faith. They decode that the best course of action is to take the revolters by surprise and before they can assemble their troops.

Another child is born to Jørgen, a healthy daughter he names Signe.

The enemy tries to retaliate on the army that ran interference in the heartland of the revolt. However they run straight into the trap laid out. The small army holds the line making sure reinforcements can't proceed south where the main army of Skåne is giving them the perfect oppertunity to squash the larger armies of the Swedes one by one. First army to be annihlated is the Ølander army hiding on their island. The leader of the revolt utterly crushed.

Good news come from the north, the army used to delay the enemy have managed to defeat the middle flank giving them the upper hand and control of the battle. They manages to drag the enemy to a position where they hold a bottleneck only letting a few of their soldiers reach the front line. Their leader Ulf is a lowborn courtier leading these brave men against all odds. However he is not as talented as The Wolf and as Swedish reinforcements arrive they are overwhelmed and route. As they are fleeing from the approaching army of an additional 1500 men a stray arrow finds the neck of Ulf and he dies instantly.

The men left behind to guard the beach and ensure safe return to the mainland are attacked by the Swedes. They are leaderless but not for long, reinforcements are already detached from the siege force on Øland and are heading to give them aid. The moment they land the Viking troops fallback and reorganize themselves within the ranks of the joining army before they push ahead with a crushing charge, completely devastating the unprepared attacking army.

Most of the armies of the revolters are destroyed and it seems to be their end. However south of Skåne, on the other side of The Sound the Duke of Obotritia hears the pleas of his brothers and declares war on Skåne.

The Scanians are now fighting on two fronts, even though neither side has an impressive amount of men but the Jarldom of Skåne itself doesn't have enough men to fight on two fronts. It doesn't get better either as his most holiness mind continue to betray him and he becomes forced to spend the remainder of his days in the fortress of Trelleborg. Luckily the Aesir have mercy upon him and ends his suffering just a few days later.

The Fylkir is dead! Long live the Fylkja!

The Fylkariate elects Bodil Vogelius of Bornholm to become the new Fylkja and to protect the all followers of the Aesir faith. Being an extremely talented diplomat she manages to persuade the Duke of Obotritia to lay down his arms. The primary successor of Gnupa is his first son, Jørgen. With the Pommeranian's not out for blood the situation looks much better for victory against the Swedes even though they've managed to field more troops.

Jørgen has no interest of war and let his trusted marshal handle the details of the war against the revolt while he himself devote himself into earning money trough working with the businesses in Trelleborg.

While the last parts of the rebellion are dealt with, Jørgen takes a look on the rest of the world, listening his councilors tell him about news from afar. The Holy Roman Empire is seeing an massive revolt lead by an Italian noble but even supported by the Bohemian King against the Franconian rule of the German land.The Polish land are revolting against the Danish rule in Halland and the English are fighting among themselves as usual. So Skåne is not the only realm that struggle with internal affairs in Europe at the moment.

Being the son of Fylkir Gnupa, Jørgen of course is privileged with an estemed position of Thingeman. He even manages to convince his fellow lords that he is "His father's son" and as such he should be the next Fylkir.

In the Jarldom of Skåne it couldn't even be noticed that they were at war with the Swedish nobles. The trade was flowing as usual to Trelleborg and the people not in the armies fighting in the north were happy and safe. Jørgen does his first thing to try and improve the wealth of his land by investing in a workshop.

News arrive of the rebels capital being taken but it doesn't interest him at all.

Hemming, the son of our Jarl turns 3 winters old, he has quickly learned to speak and shows prowess and intelligence beyond normal boys. The realm expects great things of this little child. However recently he has become sick with camp fever and his fate hang in the balance. Another sister joins him and she is given the name Ellinor.

Luckily soon enough Hemming recovers from his horrible illness.

Jørgen's investment into the workshop bears fruit and the money earned is put into improving the wealth of Trelleborg even more.

The years pass with not much of note happening. The rebels tries to sign a white peace but its refused saying unconditional surrender is the only option now that the nobles have betrayed the Fylkariate. Eventually the Steward Gao who has been in service to the realm for a longer time than Jørgen have lived comes with a proposal to bring exotic goods to the realm for profit.

Jørgen happily agrees. He expenses the wealth needed to buy a whole merchant ship for the journey. Some religious men hear of the trip and want to join on the journey and are gladly accepted by Gao and Jørgen

The expedition arrive at the docks of Pisa, the great and independent merchant republic of the Italian peninsula. A lavish gift is offered to the Serene Doge Giovanni, a dozen of the toughest warriors that Skåne has to offer. Unfourtenly there is some cultural clashes between the two nobles. Even more trouble brews as one of the accompanying Godis are arguing with a local noble, luckily Jørgen's charm manages to calm down the situation.

An agreement is signed and the economy booms in Skåne for several years to come. Of course Gao is rewarded for his services.

The Years pas and with the wealthy and prosperous rule with Jørgen the peasants of the land starts to convert to the old faith of the Scandinavian Peninsula, the one true faith, and eventually even the revolters have to surrender. They are put infront of the gallows but given a choice. Attone for their wrongs by taking up the one true faith and serve the Fylkariate and Skåne for all future or be hanged and rot in Hel. Of course they chose the only right option, unifying the entire realm under one faith. But it would have horrible consquences...

The Pope hearing of this reformed pagan faith in the north and its victories decides to act just like Grandmaster Idwal said. The armies of Europe are coming.....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014
Clearly we need to catch this pope guy.

• Locked thread