Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

Pavlov posted:

Wait, even if the old guy was a dick, why would she kill him for being the judge at the trial? If it was a real criminal trial, the judge didn't actually decide if the boys were innocent or not, the jury did. The judge would have a say in sentencing, but that's only if they were found guilty to begin with. Otherwise the old dude probably just spent the whole trial looking stern and occasionally saying "sustained" and "overruled".

He might have ruled some evidence inadmissable that the IVS disagreed with. Or it could be that the IVS just has hosed-up aim. Maybe the defense attorney is next.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
What is an IVS?

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Pavlov posted:

What is an IVS?

Invisible Vigilante Stabber

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Hah! And here I was wracking my brain for legal terminology.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Slashrat posted:

Spot on.

Anyway, seems like showing bad judgement as a judge is now a crime punishable by death, according to the Law of the Invisible Vigilante Slasher

So what do you think about the latest supreme court ruling?

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

That actually brings up a good point. Why is IVS killing people associated with a small town rape trial? I know "super powers don't solve social problems" is a running theme, but stabbing a bunch of high-profile politicians and lawmakers instead actually might accomplish some of that. Hell, approval ratings for the American congress are so low right now, I think you'd find a lot of people who would be totally fine with it.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

Pavlov posted:

That actually brings up a good point. Why is IVS killing people associated with a small town rape trial? I know "super powers don't solve social problems" is a running theme, but stabbing a bunch of high-profile politicians and lawmakers instead actually might accomplish some of that. Hell, approval ratings for the American congress are so low right now, I think you'd find a lot of people who would be totally fine with it.

I would assume because IVS is local to the area, so they can more readily make their judgement calls.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Matlock Birthmark posted:

I would assume because IVS is local to the area, so they can more readily make their judgement calls.
This is her Gotham.

ashweh
Apr 29, 2013

Slashrat posted:

Given the implied timeframe for all of this, I don't think IVS knew about those parts, and he or she doesn't strike me as the type go all the way out there without the intent to kill. Even were he a decent husband and father, he'd probably be just as dead.

If IVS is from around the area, maybe she knows the daughters that are mentioned, and about why they don't go to visit their parents.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

ashweh posted:

If IVS is from around the area, maybe she knows the daughters that are mentioned, and about why they don't go to visit their parents.

Or she is their daughter. BAM! Irony stab!

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Pavlov posted:

The first scene of this chapter had the victim come to her about the issue. It seems like she wants to be making sure she's killing for someone, rather than just to satisfy her own sense of justice.

Was it said that the boys were found innocent? Could be they were found guilty and that judge just gave them a slap on the wrist.
(In fact I'd say from the dialogue in that first scene it's implied that that's exactly what happened)

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
If this actually is the judge for the rape trial, making him a Literal Wife-Beater and possible child abuser seems a trifle heavy-handed.

Eh.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

One of the boys said that that the trial was all over, and the news report of their deaths said charged not convicted, so I think it's safe to assume they were found innocent.

Also, I got the impression that IVS was moreso just asking permission to go about killing, because lets be honest, the backlash from the death of those boys is going to come back around to the victim girl eventually, so it'd be rude not to get her OK first.

RickoniX
Dec 4, 2005

A human or elf?

NO NOT A BADGER YOU GOON

Pavlov posted:

One of the boys said that that the trial was all over, and the news report of their deaths said charged not convicted, so I think it's safe to assume they were found innocent.

Also, I got the impression that IVS was moreso just asking permission to go about killing, because lets be honest, the backlash from the death of those boys is going to come back around to the victim girl eventually, so it'd be rude not to get her OK first.

Didn't the newspaper say they were acquitted?

edit: it was on Fox News http://strongfemaleprotagonist.com/issue-5/page-10-5/

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
Im going to laugh my rear end off if she actually got the black eye for non-DV reasons and the IVS just decided to go gently caress-it murder mode

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

A big flaming stink posted:

Im going to laugh my rear end off if she actually got the black eye for non-DV reasons and the IVS just decided to go gently caress-it murder mode

Well it wouldn't particularly matter because, as has been discussed, his domestic violence isn't the motive for the killing here, most likely.

His involvement in the rape trial is.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
"Why don't our daughters visit us, Jim?" "Because of all the blood coming out of my throaaaAAAAAAAUUUGH"

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Pavlov posted:

If it was a real criminal trial, the judge didn't actually decide if the boys were innocent or not, the jury did.

It's too soon to assume the members of the jury aren't on the list.

ashweh
Apr 29, 2013
Is it possible that this is a different judge, presiding over some other case? He does say it in the present tense, and the trial from the beginning of the chapter reached an acquittal.

Though that may be kind of confusing storytelling, but the character also headed on a bus to New York and is probably not in the same town as the start of the chapter.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

Pavlov posted:

Wait, even if the old guy was a dick, why would she kill him for being the judge at the trial? If it was a real criminal trial, the judge didn't actually decide if the boys were innocent or not, the jury did. The judge would have a say in sentencing, but that's only if they were found guilty to begin with. Otherwise the old dude probably just spent the whole trial looking stern and occasionally saying "sustained" and "overruled".

I love this thread, two opportunities to link to LawComics in two pages. :allears:

Page 1
Page 2
Page 3

There is a reason that Appeals exist, and there's a reason that almost every frikkin trial ever ends up before an appellate panel.

Edit:

ashweh posted:

Though that may be kind of confusing storytelling, but the character also headed on a bus to New York and is probably not in the same town as the start of the chapter.

Who knows how far away from New York "Chesterton" is, though? If it's Chesterton Indiana, then sure that makes it a long shot. If it's some town in Pennsylvania, or New Jersey, or even in upstate New York? It makes perfect sense. Remember, biiig felonies go to big courts, you wouldn't try a major rape case in the Podunksville city hall, plus a big case like this would also probably be moved to try and find an unbiased jury. More than likely, the trial was held in or around New York, and had been moved from Chesterton. The reason all four were in a car on a dark road is because they were more than likely driving home.

The real key question, is how did Miss Invisible manage to track them down to a specific gas station a few minutes after they pulled in? She doesn't have a car, otherwise why would she get on a bus? Did she stow away in their vehicle, and then for some reason wait until they got out before killing them? Did she just hang around that gas station in the off-chance they stopped at it on the way back? How did she know where they would be!?

Captain Bravo fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Jul 1, 2014

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Tenebrais posted:

Was it said that the boys were found innocent? Could be they were found guilty and that judge just gave them a slap on the wrist.

Criminal cases in the US are either guilty or not guilty, defendants are not "found innocent". It sounds like a dumb spergy nitpick but it's a pretty crucial distinction.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Flesh Forge posted:

Criminal cases in the US are either guilty or not guilty, defendants are not "found innocent". It sounds like a dumb spergy nitpick but it's a pretty crucial distinction.

I stand corrected.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
I didn't notice until now, but IVS is shown here getting on a bus for New York.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Jackard posted:

I didn't notice until now, but IVS is shown here getting on a bus for New York.

Yeah, and this looks like the south we are in. Not sure when this is taking place.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
It'll be a while before we find out the details, too, since the strip is on hiatus until the 11th so the creators can fulfill Kickstarter stuff.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Cat Mattress posted:

It's too soon to assume the members of the jury aren't on the list.

Or that the slasher knows what their doing.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Unlucky7 posted:

Yeah, and this looks like the south we are in. Not sure when this is taking place.

Upstate New York can be a lot like the south believe it or not.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
You know, it's really odd that the essay used as narration earlier was the origin of the gods when this character is such a perfect fit for the story of the Furies. Believing that blood could only be repaid with blood, being relentless and insatiable, avenging a wronged woman...the chapter even starts off with an invocation.

In the Eumenides, the Furies eventually became part of the justice system; it would be a left turn, but I wonder if this is going to end with the killer being recruited by Pintsize or the government or something.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Carrasco posted:

You know, it's really odd that the essay used as narration earlier was the origin of the gods when this character is such a perfect fit for the story of the Furies. Believing that blood could only be repaid with blood, being relentless and insatiable, avenging a wronged woman...the chapter even starts off with an invocation.

In the Eumenides, the Furies eventually became part of the justice system; it would be a left turn, but I wonder if this is going to end with the killer being recruited by Pintsize or the government or something.

honestly it wouldnt even be unprecedented in the comic. alison has already been shown as literally above the law because of the danger she represents

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Allison is above the law because her actions haven't exceeded her potential value yet. It is absolutely certain that the government has found a way to kill her after all of these years. I'm guessing they frantically started researching how to do so as soon as she went to the camp.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Probably they could have pintsize knock her out like he theoretically could cleaver if cleaver weren't so big and then suffocate her.

I mean pintsize probably WOULDN'T but that's one way and it's not even actually hard.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Serious Frolicking posted:

Allison is above the law because her actions haven't exceeded her potential value yet. It is absolutely certain that the government has found a way to kill her after all of these years. I'm guessing they frantically started researching how to do so as soon as she went to the camp.

How is something with no basis in what the story has shown "absolutely certain"?

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

Fried Chicken posted:

How is something with no basis in what the story has shown "absolutely certain"?

Well someone killed all those potentials that had the ability to change the world fundamentally...

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Superstring posted:

Well someone killed all those potentials that had the ability to change the world fundamentally...

None of those had the ability to change the world by being near-invulnrable however.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

reignonyourparade posted:

Probably they could have pintsize knock her out like he theoretically could cleaver if cleaver weren't so big and then suffocate her.

I mean pintsize probably WOULDN'T but that's one way and it's not even actually hard.

If you're paranoid about your superheroes, you probably don't set up contingencies involving your superheroes' close friends to counter each other.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Fried Chicken posted:

The mere fact of Allison's existence is enough. You know how the Hulk used to always be on the run from the military because of how dangerous he is? Now imagine that the Hulk is incredibly popular and comes from a very liberal, well-educated background with a marked inclination for becoming politically active. Otherwise powerful men in the US government and military probably have frequent nightmares about Allison.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Serious Frolicking posted:

The mere fact of Allison's existence is enough.

No, it isn't. You are making up things based in what you think the story should be, not what it is. Show me the page where it says they have a hard counter to her or shut up.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
There isn't a textual example, but it's not unreasonable to infer from the murders of the "world changing" supers that more than a few people would be interested in working out how to kill Allison and they've had years to work something out.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
It's not unreasonable, so it'll make sense if something like that comes up. It's a little premature to say it's "absolutely certain" though. We don't know enough about the military's feelings about Alison or Alison's powers to know for certain. Speculation is fun, but it is just speculation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

thatbastardken posted:

There isn't a textual example, but it's not unreasonable to infer from the murders of the "world changing" supers that more than a few people would be interested in working out how to kill Allison and they've had years to work something out.

Yes, it is unreasonable because it isn't supported by the work.

You guys are treating this like every other "realistic" treatment of superheroes like Ennis or Moore wrote it, where it comes down to who has more ultra violence up their sleeve and it isn't. With deliberate and clear intent they are breaking from that type of plotting and those tropes.

• Locked thread