Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

You really shouldn't get totally drunk at a party by yourself. Nothing good's gonna happen.

Also you might get killed on the way back. Walking around drunk is really dangerous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Allison's main problem is that in situations that don't involve lifting heavy things/punching/intercepting bullets, she's no better than any normal person at solving problems. If she doesn't want to go learn architecture and become a construction worker, Pintsize is just as justified in not wanting to become a cheap microscope substitute.

Sure is convenient that the supervillains dried up when she quit the biz.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Opposing Farce posted:

I brutally murdered and severely overcomplicated the joke by explaining it, but this really isn't a difficult thing to see.

I've had it with your joke vigilantism.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Maybe if she went after some white-collar criminals instead of murdering stupid kids, I'd like her more.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Without due process, there's not very much difference between murdering people for crimes they may have gotten away with or killing them because they were rude in a convenience store.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It's the birth of a new supervillain. Over the top displays of how bad they are is pretty standard, especially since this comic likes to make points about things.

Brought To You By posted:

My problem is that we have no reason to believe that she would single out this specific group of mercenaries for any reason other than they are "bad people". If she had a problem with what one of these mercenaries did she should be trying to knife every career or retired soldier who committed a war atrocity. When she was targeting people involved with the rape case she was a focused villain with a specific purpose and agenda, she has lost that.

Were there not any Jurors for the rape trial that she could have gone after? Or reporters who put out articles favoring the rapists over the victim? I really hope that there is some explanation for why she decided to go all Predator in the barn shed because right now it looks like the author is trying really hard to make her seem intimidating when that was already accomplished back at the gas station.

Well, presumably those are on the docket for later. She's only got one knife, you know? A journey of a thousand kills starts with a single throat.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Well if you want to start getting crazy starfish analogies up in here, here's one:

Starfish like to eat oysters and clams, and fishermen who collect shellfish didn't like that, so in order to decrease the starfish population, they would fish out starfish, cut them in half, and throw them back. The only problem with this is that starfish are very good at regenerating, and if you cut them in half, you really will get two starfish growing back.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Nah, since it's a superhero comic, it's obligated to make less social progress than what happens in the real world, like how Batman still has to fight villains that were designed as 1930s mobsters. And no matter how many times they punched Hitler, no superhero was allowed to win the war.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I don't think better prosecuting would've helped for Steubenville, considering how the perpetrators were convicted and sentenced. It was a relatively lenient sentence, but that's because they're minors, which is a seperate bucket of worms.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Error 404 posted:

And they hate it when you're making with ze funny shtuff.

Counterpoint.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

DrakePegasus posted:

Until this moment I'd never recognized that John Henry was a 'gently caress progress!' story. And while it tries to sympathize with the common worker the end result is a black man literally working himself to death for the railroad owner. Now I'm wondering what dark secrets Johnny Appleseed might hold.

Well, it it's that in the wake of mechanization, nothing good's going to happen to these out of work laborers. They're going to have to go off and find some even more poo poo job in a world that probably hates them. John Henry was fighting to was fighting for everyone he knew to keep their jobs. It was the same deal with the Luddites. Progress tends to gently caress over little people sometimes.

Like what's that mural supposed to be? Is the robot saying, "Great work here, John. Now we don't need you anymore, so you can just accept your inferiority and maybe go die in a mine or take a stab at sharecropping, I've heard that's nice."

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I get the feeling this lady would be insufferable to work for.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I think this AI just wants to turn itself into some internet hosting space.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I don't care enough about this webcomic to purposefully stay away to let pages build up, like I do with Ava's Demon or Vattu, but I still find it interesting enough to bother checking at least once a week.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

What kind and name is "Clevin" anyways.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It's not like he's stealing or anything, they're on his payroll.

Probably they didn't take that bit in their contract about their intellectual property seriously.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

He's arguing with Allison now, but she's not arguing with him. He's so into making his point, that he doesn't finish explaining himself; he's too busy responding to Allison's thoughts about what he's saying.

Also, calling the U.S. one of the bloodiest governments in modern history is a bit much. Probably it was just the first government that Patrick ran into that he didn't like.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Oh god, he seriously considered the "kill everyone whose brainwaves I don't like" plan, didn't he.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The thing is, SFP is a bit of a power fantasy. Not in the normal punching dudes or imagining all the things you can do if you could lift heavy things way, but in the sense that all the navel-gazing and figuring out the world around you that happens in college are CRITICALLY IMPORTANT, not just to you, but the world around you, like the fate of the world around you.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

In a way, this entire chapter is a step back for her. She gave up the superhero business because she didn't think it was doing any real good in the long term to go around and punch things, and now she's going through so much effort to track down a villain on her own, as if her personal ability to punch things really hard will make her so much better at solving the case than the actual investigators.

And for all the talking at her people have been doing, none of what people are saying is actually doing anything.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Taking ideas that aren't "culturally part of your heritage" has been a thing since a fish tried getting in on that "legs" thing that bugs were crazy about.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Man, that seems like such a bizarre way to accuse someone of being a murderer. Like they'd just be fine with a summary execution if it was clearly evident that their papers weren't in order.

Although really, what do you expect. If this dude with flame powers is employed as a law enforcement agent, there's not that many ways for him to use his powers on people and not kill them. It's kind of weird that there haven't been that many people in this comic using superpowers for practical purposes as opposed to just plain ol' violence.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

So wait, she's been killing dudes around the country? All that travel is expensive and time consuming. You'd think that somebody would notice all of that.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Yeah, she's using truth serum, not a lie detector. It bugs me, but it's not as bad as when comics depict torture as a reliable method for information gathering.

I kind of hope that Furnace goes to sleep or throws up on her,because you can't just inject people with drugs that will mess with them and expect them to be fine.

SlothfulCobra fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Jul 11, 2015

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Wait, so this wouldn't be a question if they had laser eyes, but it is a question when they have pyrokinesis?

What do you have against Cyclops? :(

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Looking back on Patrick's dumb "I can't read my own mind" revelation, it's even worse, because Monster Pulse recently pulled off a similar twist waaaaay better.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

captain innocuous posted:

Civilian population?

Negative. Just a few dozen park rangers and tourists.

If they were illegal immigrants, it'd be fine. Only the legal ones count.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The thing about deciding to murder people for alleged crimes sans any real judicial review is that capital punishment is the most severe punishment in existence and many people debate whether it should even be used [i]ever[/i. It refuses any theoretical rehabilitation, insisting that once a crime has been committed, that person is the worst forever and should not be allowed to survive another day on this earth. And it's not just rapists Mary has been murdering, the chapter started out with her killing a man for beating his wife, when that would be solvable with some jail time.

And really, if anyone did believe that rapists don't need a trial and should be quickly slaughtered, there used to be a time when people accused of rape and the like were quickly dealt with in the same manner, only half the time they were really denied trials because they were black/vagrants/any other form of social outsider. There's a reason that vigilantes aren't really well-liked in the real world.

The way this comic is trying to play off mass murder as ethically ambiguous is just so loving frustrating, especially when Mary's contingency plan to make sure that she's getting a real rapist is to assault a potentially innocent man and pump him full of drugs, you know, like what a rapist does.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

No see it only counts as bad if they're dead or if someone touches their sex bits.

Although maybe the being dead thing isn't that bad, really. That's what the comic is going into now. The morality of corpses is pretty uncomplicated.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Nuebot posted:

Oh dear, the comments section is trying to suggest that the actions of invisible lady are equal to people fighting back against a lynch mob. Rather than being the lynch mob herself.

Well, if this is the end of the chapter I think I'm going to call it quits.

You can't be invisible when fighting a lynch mob. Fighting against a lynch mob involves standing up in front of a bunch of people driven mad with bloodlust and trying to talk them down. Going directly against the human compulsion to agree with the crowd, and putting your life on the line, because if you can't talk them down, there's a good chance that they'll kill you just for getting in their way. And you certainly can't use violence against a mob like that, because it'll just provoke them into swarming at you. It takes real guts to go up against something like that, not just a knife and some half-assed self-justification..

It's much easier instead to speak in a safe zone where everyone already agrees with you so you're not really conveying any meaningful information an just reaffirming opinions.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The most annoying part isn't even the bullshit morality, it's the whole execution of it. It could've been this quick thing with just an invisible slasher and mysterious killings, and then at the end of the arc, Mary could go into her schpeil and give a shocking revelation that all the people she was murdering were actually rapists, and then, in the spur of the moment, it could seem briefly morally ambiguous. It's not like the police would be that forthcoming about the exact particulars of how all the victims were related, especially when it makes them look bad. Although I guess that would mean the author wouldn't be able to concoct a specific context where it makes sense for someone to threaten to murder anyone who makes a rape accusation.

Instead, the comic had to string it out through:
-Each of the murders
-The whole thing with the cyborg prof which adds nothing to the chapter
-A rant from the scientist on how there's no point in getting riled up over a little murder
-The entire Patrick sequence where I'm not entirely sure what he was ranting about aside from "PS, I've actually been murdering all the extras from previous scenes"
-giving some last minute character development to inferno so it wouldn't seem as much like killing a straw man

I mean, it doesn't make sense that Allison would be torn on how moral Mary's killings were, because she's had weeks to mull it over in her head, while we the readers have had about a year to decide what our opinions were. Narratively speaking, this entire chapter has been grotesquely bloated, and that's why it has far overstayed its welcome even if you were open to sympathizing with Mary's line of reasoning.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Aside from furnace, there's also this amazingly polite war criminal. Contrasting with Mary, who has skimped on the bill for the soldiers she hired, but she did obtain some equally expensive ammo, in order to prove that she's not being cheap, she's just a dick.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

This reminds me a little of how Bernhard Goetz was considered some kind of hero by the public before the press reported all the crazy things he said.

Of course, Goetz wasn't a brutally efficient psychopath like Moonshadow, because he wasn't thorough enough to kill any of the people he shot, and he tried to skip town after one incident.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I think that the war criminals might've been the most polite and reasonable people in the whole chapter. Seriously.

Although my pet theory for that is that they're strawmen for people on the internet who are trying to argue civilly about how wrong Moonshadow is.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

She's got some really expensive and time consuming hobbies.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I feel like this isn't a very well-thought out idea. How exactly would a team of super-powered people be more effective at dealing with domestic violence than the police? The main problem with dealing with domestic abuse isn't the lack of firepower.

Also, it's weird that she specifies "all female." Pintsize is the only super we've seen who's still way into the whole super-heroing schtick. I'm sure he'd want in on the whole thing.

idonotlikepeas posted:

Feral herself made that exact argument. It was even illustrated to drive the point home:

Alison thinks she's wrong, but I'm not 100% sure that the comic does. On the other hand, what if Feral were working with other heroes who could enhance or share her abilities in some way? It might be possible for her to save even more people. That's the kind of path Alison's thinking might start heading down now that she has this Team Social Justice thing going on.

Why did they give those people duplicate organs.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

There's a certain line that metaphors have when the comparison breaks down because of the details, and SFP has a tendency to cross that line all the time, which is why it tends to fall flat so often.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

A year seems pretty reasonable. Most people spend way longer than Hercules did to attone for murdering their entire family.

This whole "misinterpreting myths so you can make fun of them for being backwards and primitive" schtick is dumb.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

JuniperCake posted:

Actually that is just a year for that one task. He had to do 12 of them. Also timelines in myths are hosed up to hell, especially for Hercules but timelines aren't as fun to talk about anyways. Hercules is actually an interesting character, he's basically the greek version of Goku (if Goku also had anger management problems). Like a typical hercules story goes like, dude invites himself to a king's fancy dinner, eats everything and is generally rude and obnoxious. Then he finds out that the king's wife had died the night before and feels guilty. So he decides to fix it by seeking out the personification of death and wrestles him into the ground until he cries uncle and lets her return to her family.

Dude murdered his own family in a fit of rage but unfortunately most Greek heroes end up doing really horrible poo poo like that. It's pretty much a recurring theme in Greek myths that everyone is hosed up and pretty awful in one way or another, gods and mortals alike.

But yeah, Paladin sounds just like anyone else who likes to read old myths and stories. I don't see how shes acting as being weird or inconsistent with how shes been portrayed before. People have different facets to them and just cause shes an engineer doesn't mean shes not allowed to have other interests. I don't see how she is being dismissive about the stories or the humanities either. I knew a classics grad student who talked about the stories in his thesis work (basically stories about teenage rear end in a top hat Jesus) in a pretty similar way.

Nah, Hercules is more like Wolverine in that he's sort of a cool fun dude to be around sometimes, but every so often he just goes into a horrible uncontrollable homicidal rage. Even aside from the one big time he's famous for. Dude was ditched by the Argonauts when he went crazy, and one time he sacked all of troy because the king cheaped out on payment. For all the good his strength and combat prowess is, it just keeps getting him into more trouble. Marvel has a really good take on Hercules, he's just a big strong jerk idiot who loves fighting but at least means well. Gastrophobia also does some great riffing off of Hercules's myths. Also there was that one time when Hercules just [url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nio#Hellenistic_influence]popped up in japan somehow/url], just like Woverine.

But yeah, Paladin's "thing" is giving out her own specific takes on myths that miss the point. Like that mural about how John Henry should've just been glad about the white man replacing him with a machine and embraced progress, or the one with people harvesting apples from the tree of knowledge. This is the first time that she used vernacular though. Of course, this bit is like that lovely paper Alison wrote at the beginning of the last chapter, only this time I think it's lampshading their use of a timeskip/montage. They're weakly drawing parallels to Greek mythology, and I keep getting hung up on how much I enjoy mythology compared to this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

He's got Patrick's cheekbones.

• Locked thread