Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
The impression I got from the incident where cleaver nicked her head and the resulting scar, was that her biology wasn't really any different from normal people. She's just afflicted by some kind of effect that prevents changes to her cellular biology outside of what is part of the regular biological processes. What the effect considers "outside of normal" is unknown, but includes blunt trauma and thermal damage and the list seems to be growing, according to Allisons statement that her powers are "growing worse" too.

I actually wonder whether Allison technically needs to eat and breathe to survive, or just does so because her normal biology tells her to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Fucker's gonna die and people will be cheering it.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Pavlov posted:

I bet he's dead on literally the next page.

Spot on.

Anyway, seems like showing bad judgement as a judge is now a crime punishable by death, according to the Law of the Invisible Vigilante Slasher

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

cafel posted:

Well, that and the strong wife beating/daughter abusing vibe that was coming across.

Given the implied timeframe for all of this, I don't think IVS knew about those parts, and he or she doesn't strike me as the type go all the way out there without the intent to kill. Even were he a decent husband and father, he'd probably be just as dead.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Superstring posted:

Well someone killed all those potentials that had the ability to change the world fundamentally...

None of those had the ability to change the world by being near-invulnrable however.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
It was brought up all the way back in Chapter 1 that her anomaly (at least the super-strength part of it, though I find it reasonable that it would extend to her resilience too) is not biological in nature, which pretty much establishes it as a phenomena external to her biological functions that steps in and overrides the universe whenever it tries to apply silly things like the laws of physics to Allison getting burned, stabbed or whatever. In that case, there's not really any limits on what it can protect against that can be guessed at from our understanding of biology and physics.

The injury she sustained from Cleaver suggest the protection isn't flawless. But he injured her in a way that we do know she is extra resilient to, so it just implies that there is a limit to the magnitude or focus of force it can protect against, rather than saying anything about what she isn't protected against.

Slashrat fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jul 2, 2014

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Presenting the IVS victims as terrible human beings to the reader (and only the reader) is just an attempt to delay the reader's realization, that the IVS herself is in fact a terrible person committing murders based on an arbitrary definition of "Justice", by distracting the reader with possible justifications that are not actually relevant to the character's motivation.

How effective that narrative device is in this case can be debated, but its a valid way to tell a story.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
It does seem awfully quiet and abandoned for a superhero base. In hindsight I find it somewhat surprising that even earlier during Cleaver's attack, all three of them were just sitting around on monitor-duty or training. I would have thought that there was enough normal crime around to keep them and a large support-crew of normal people busy every waking hour.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Jackard posted:

Wow the art has certainly improved :eyepop:

I think the art quality has actually remained quite consistent for the entire run so far. It's just that the flashback feels like it is drawn in a slightly more exaggerated style for effect.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
http://strongfemaleprotagonist.com/issue-5/page-31-4/

Proves that Sonar's powers aren't quite useless in a fight, though I still think giving him some marksmanship training and handgun would make him more effective in a fight against armed gangsters.

I'm also somewhat surprised that the government hasn't found less troublesome ways to employ all these young superheroes than simply having them fight mundane criminals. I'm having difficulty believing that a majority of them would insist on their daily work involving both use of their powers and fighting other people.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

MikeJF posted:

I hope she keeps up with Cleaver and they become friendly, he needs a hug.

He really does, and she's quite probably the only person in the world who could literally survive giving him one.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
The sad part is that he's not wrong about superheroes being a good and straight-forward response to supervillains. He's just ignorant of the fact that the supervillains are gone, either because they got defeated or else also figured out that the whole comic-book reenactment thing was not a very efficient use of their time and powers. It makes me think that he'll end up creating a new supervillain threat down the road to justify his dream lifestyle.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Basically, its the difference between treating the symptoms of a disease and curing the patient.

Allison feels treating the patient (in this case human society) in perpetuity is useless since they going to get worse again the moment you stop. This is why her dad's cancer hits her so hard. She can't deal with the concept that some ills require a constant and permanent effort to keep in check.

Edit: Which makes her fundamental flaw that she doesn't want people to have to make an effort to be good people living a life without worries. I'm now reminded of her rant to Cleaver about how hard she constantly has to work to keep her urges to kill and destroy in check, and wonder what will happen when she realizes that won't ever get easier.

Really, Allison's desire for a permanent fix that doesn't require continual effort isn't even altruistic in its motivation.

Slashrat fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Aug 25, 2014

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Looks like Someone is on to the IVS and has a pragmatic approach to making him/her go away.

I'm kinda wondering at what point the this thread will intersect with Allison. Unless the IVS turns out to be Moonshadow, there doesn't seem to be much pulling the two plot threads in this chapter together, aside from maybe a shared theme.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Looks like we're all wrong. This is just how supers without government support practice.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Captain Oblivious posted:

Templar is Patrick's company isn't it?

Patrick's supervillain name, actually, iirc.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
If normal people barely trust biodynamics at all already, a former government-appointed superhero going around and extrajudicially exceuting even acquitted criminals at her own discretion is going to make the world flip its lid, even if Moonshadow's latest shenanigans aren't explicitly sanctioned.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
I'm curious why she felt these guys needed a sporting chance when she was perfectly fine with slitting the the throats of the boys and the judge with no warning. Is massacring Iraqi civilians somehow less of a crime than acquitting a quad of boys in the rape case that you preside over as a judge?

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

rotinaj posted:

I was never sure which superteam Paladin was she on. Was she with Feral?

I don't think we've been told yet. She hasn't appeared or been mentioned before this chapter, iirc.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Welp, Moonshadow's off the deep end. It takes a pretty twisted kind of logic to think that having less barriers to killing other people gives you the moral high ground.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

ChairMaster posted:

Haha yea, I'm sure that's what you meant. As long as nobody important sees you do it it's okay.

I also like how that post seems to imply that rape is worse than killing a bunch of people. I bet next you're gonna post about how terrible it would be if someone found and summarily executed that cop who murdered that black kid in Ferguson and is going to receive no punishment other than paid vacation for doing so.

What other crimes should result in automatic forfeiture of life without due process, in your opinion? Robbery? Fraud? Littering?

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

idonotlikepeas posted:

I'm actually willing to even oppose the idea that criminals getting off on technicalities is wrong. When people talk about "technicalities", what they mean is generally something like "the police didn't follow the rules when they collected evidence and it got thrown out of the trial". In that case, if the evidence DIDN'T get thrown out, the result would be that all police everywhere would just start ignoring those rules. Letting criminals go in that case is an integral and important part of our justice system.

Our system is meant to be weighted to let guilty people go to minimize the number of innocent people that get punished, and that's really the better way of doing things. Vigilantes weight things the other way - they'll punish people they feel must have done something, which is a recipe for killing innocent people along with guilty since nobody's feelings can be right all the time. That's the main thing that's wrong with it; we have rules of evidence and procedure to boil away as many of the personal biases people have as we can so that we can take a bunch of imperfect parts (human beings) and turn them into a system that, by and large, does justice. It's a goal we're still working towards, as a society, and things are definitely not perfect right now (especially in, say, rape cases), but working on that system is much better than just throwing it all away and shooting whoever seems shifty.

People sympathize with the vigilante, though, because we've all known cases where we feel like justice wasn't done, and it's so much easier to imagine that some person can just deal with it, simply, with no red tape and no arguments, even though the red tape and the arguments serve a purpose.

In addition to avoiding the risk of innocent being targeted, blood feuds are another very good reason prevent vigilantism. One guy kills somebody that he or she feels absolutely deserves it, then somebody else comes along and kills that person for what they see as a heinous murder, and so on the cycle continues until a century later nobody remembers how the thing started, just that "those other people" need to be killed before they can kill you.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

A big flaming stink posted:

Instead of asking if what she's doing is justice i think it's better to ask if what she's doing is justified. I think there's actually a decent argument for that one. After all, it's kind of hard not to see this as society reaping what it has sown for its belief that Raping Women Is Not That Big of a Deal.

Okay, since you asked the question, kindly elaborate on why you think revenge-killing is justified in the cases where due process reaches the conclusion that the suspect should not be punished. Be sure to include whether or not this argument means that due process can be throw away entirely, and the first response to any crime should be to kill the suspect.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Seems like exactly the sort of reaction a college-age super-genius would have to being told that their particle accelerator will be delayed by a week. Lisa seems like a pretty cool person though.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
I like how all her attempts at creating an idealized version of a conscious intelligence, results in said intelligence immediately becoming homicidal/suicidal. It's a chilling fact considering that she's demonstrably very good at it.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Warmachine posted:

It sticks out to me that she hasn't tried putting together all three versions yet. Something with justice and fairness that can also be empathic and sympathetic, while having enough humor to get through the bad crap. Unless that's behind door number 4 here.

Alternatively, the result will be an AI that decides to be omnicidal for the lols

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Glazius posted:

Is this Moonshadow? I don't know if she's operating under her 'has to be asked" protocol or if a news broadcast is enough asking for her these days.

Either way, RIP Miles.

I'm thinking the "has to be asked" protocol may be a mistaken assumption. Maybe she just wanted to judge in person whether the girl was telling the truth, since it appeared that the case was basically a "she said/they said" scenario with no hard evidence. There was evidently evidence of the soldiers' misdeeds that Moonshadow's sources were able to dig up, and if she's really behind the Miles' murder, it could suggest that she trusts Allison's judgment enough to act after seeing Allison voice her suspicion of the daterape-in-progress on youtube (though it might also just have caused her to research him more indepth, leading to other evidence that she acted on).

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
I think you're reading too much into that particular request. Moonshadow may just have felt like being melodramatic while using her entirely ordinary (for a self-righteous murderess) judgment to determine first-hand the credibility of Kaylee's testimony.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
I gotta wonder if Moonshadow intended to be ID'ed by Allison right there. While showing her eyes would certainly suggest it was, I can't imagine that she wouldn't have a hard time from the exposure that she'd get if the next thing Allison does is go to the police and press and say "Moonshadow is the Invisible Vigilante Slasher" (and why wouldn't she, aside from maybe plot-mandated stupidity?)

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Because somebody asked for it...

:siren::siren::siren:NEW COMIC!!!:siren::siren::siren:

Welp, I guess Moonshadow really does know how to pick her targets. Her track record remains a flawless 4/4 of taking out unrepentant creeps

Looks like Allison is doing the sensible thing and consulting with the authorities before acting on her discovery.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
New comic!

I guess that resolves all apparent logical conflicts regarding how her anomaly works, when it is an unknown source arbitrarily deciding what can and cannot affect her body according to some seemingly human-like idea of what is harmful and what isn't.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
I kinda reminds me of the character "Amber" from PS238. She was basically invulnerable as well by virtue of having a literal guardian spirit that blocked any attempt to harm her.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
New comic

"Invent a way to get everyone off this planet" seems like a perfectly reasonable precaution in case Allison snaps. She can't fly, and she's unlikely to reinvent space travel with her focus on studying the humanities.

Anyway, good on her for voicing her concerns rather than keeping silent. The doctor seems trustworthy enough at any rate, even if the government turns out to be involved (though that probably just means we're in for the inevitable shocking betrayal).

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Exactly. There's no validity to anything he said. If a vigilante is killing people who the media report as being accused of being rapists, the answer isn't for victims to keep it to themselves (under threat of being burned alive if they don't). The answer is to stop the loving vigilante, and at a stretch have the media keep quiet about such accusations in the meantime. His entire train of thought went down the wrong track right from the start.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
It just occured to me that maybe Furnace is trying to bait out the slasher by deliberately being extremely pro-MRA on public television. Though probably unlikely, it isn't isn't mutually exclusive with him being something of a short-tempered jerk, and that he is not entirely a caricature of a superpowered stupid rear end in a top hat could be nice twist.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Brought To You By posted:

I'd honestly be surprised if the author let Furnace be the one to take down Moonshadow.

Succesfully baiting out Moonshadow doesn't necessarily mean that things will go very well for him past that point

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
No Patrick, sitting in your chair with the back omniously facing the door wouldn't have been more amusing than standing in the middle of a pile of people in sleeping/body bags in your office with your sleeves rolled up.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
I wonder what kind of damages and penalties the RIAA of academia would pursue for the illegal copying of 5 top-tier scientific careers.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
If were unable to stop reading peoples minds and seeing how they would respond to any given thing, it might not even feel manipulative. It could be just like having a GPS navigator for getting what you want, giving directions on what to say at any given moment to get to get the conversations where you want it to go. Considering the RL examples of people blindly following GPS navigators over the edges of cliffs or similar bad ends, it is entirely possible that he could be saying outright lies without even being aware of it unless he gets caught on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
If all of her abilities are really just manifestations of a subconscious use of telekinesis, that might also explain how Cleaver could hurt her. If his blades are so sharp that they are approaching sub-atomic thinness, they could probably cut just a bit into her before they become wide enough for the nerves in her body to register them and trigger the telekinetic pushback.

• Locked thread