Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

Mikl posted:

"You don't get the world" at least is 100% insightful and true.

As is "there are horrible, horrible perverts online".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

Brought To You By posted:

Amazing that we're still talking about the same person who said, and would have tried, to kill a large group of people in a fit of rage. Truly a paragon of kindness and virtue.

It's not about not wanting. It's about wanting, but not doing.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

EndOfTheWorld posted:

gently caress Clevin.

in a nice way or a mean way?

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

SynthOrange posted:

COCK.

BLOCKED.

Possibly Allison's going to learn that "saved him from a fire" is a terrible basis for a relationship.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

Carrasco posted:

Hell, just:

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret: fucklaws

yeah, but that could apply equally to the GOP, yes?

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

The point is she picked the socially altruistic reason. Sure people can do this but for her character she always seems to be going for this route instead of thinking purely for her own interests. She was just equated to Mother Theresa so it's just hammering home that point.

"You play like everyone's watching you."

Is she altruistic because she thinks she's supposed to be altruistic?

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

Wittgen posted:

Yeah, it was late middle school/early high school. And don't forget that after getting her powers, she was almost immediately drafted into a superhero team. She then spent five or so years saving the world from really dramatically bad things.

Plus her dad was a social worker. Remember the scene where she's a kid in the park with her parents, and her dad says "oops, wait, there's a homeless man, I have to go help him" ?

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

Bruceski posted:

I heard something once along the lines of "true freedom is a man alone in the desert; anything else requires compromise." but I can't recall where and Google isn't helping. Anyone happen to know where that's from?

A truly free man wouldn't ask for help.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

Wittgen posted:

How was it weird. Seems to me they spent time wandering around the city, doing fun stuff and talking.

EXACTLY.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

This is a good page and a good setup for actual commentary. Does the guy who looks like someone strapped metal plates to a skinless human body have a point? Does the girl whose "only problem" seem to be she's a little more green around the gills than most, have any less a reason to feel like the world treats her unfairly? Is there such a thing as being more or less disadvantaged in this situation where your body deviates from the human norm? What does that say about the small person with horns sitting between armor guy and the person in the tin can, or the black lady who seems to have a third eye? They are basically normal people with a few extra features isn't that better than being 10 ft tall with spines and orange skin?

I don't think Vanessa would be pleased that you're calling her a "guy".

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

Woebin posted:

Yeah that last panel is actually somewhat hopeful. gently caress basing your sense of self worth on your appearance anyway, I've had way too much trouble with that myself to buy into "we're all beautiful" as a good basis for therapy or whatever's going on here.

Remember, the facilitator for this session is barely twenty, just like all the attendees.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

armadillo girl: Vanessa
green girl: Carmen
three-eyed girl: Rian
blob-in-a-tank girl: Tina
Deep One girl: Amanda

we're left with giant orange feathery girl, blue girl, and horns girl. Odds on them all being named before this scene is done?

and odds on any of them recurring later?

(also, I like how, when everyone else raises her hand. Tina raises her tank's little grasping arm. And also, where Amanda points out that she wears a bow specifically to help reduce misgendering... she's also carrying a frilly pink purse.)

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I'm a bit concerned that Allison's offering Amanda a job based on:

Amanda shared her feelings, in Allison's presence, about having a grotesquely inhuman physical appearance
Allison's charitable organization needs someone to help with keeping track of money
Amanda's bored with being a game warden
Amanda's taking accountancy classes

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I do like how she referred to Cleaver as "my friend Daniel".

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

RiotGearEpsilon posted:

this is the worst date I've ever seen. brennan how do you keep doing this.

Their first date was reasonably okay, yes?

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

RiotGearEpsilon posted:

I will say that I personally would have no loving clue how to navigate this particular cluster-gently caress and I'm kind of hoping the next panel is just Alison pivoting on her heel and walking firmly away with a "nope" expression on her face. That would be a pretty solid punchline to a very awkward page.

hm. "Brad resolves the situation with no involvement from Alison" isn't bad; kind of emphasizes how superfluous Alison is in a setting like this.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

Oh, come on. This is obviously headed somewhere. She's here because of the Max-related information that Patrick sent her, and Max being such an rear end in a top hat will make it easier for her to back off.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

Flesh Forge posted:

The comic also completely overlooks the enormous social power Allison has just by being a famous celebrity. She could run for President, look at where we are now in reality.

Not until she's at least 35. Plus, remember, she's already explicitly said that it's horrible to have people looking to her for suggestions on what to do when she doesn't even know how government works.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

ManlyGrunting posted:

I still kind of hope that this whole time Patrick was lying out his rear end about that and there never was any conspiracy.

Lying? Or just wrong?

Could all these children with potentially-worldchanging powers all die coincidentally?

... well, yes. That's what 'coincidence' means.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I read through it again, a while back, and something I noticed

that whole long section where Patrick was telling her about how horrible the world is and how it's all full of evil, and she blew up at him, and then, at the end, he offered her a Loony Toons mug?

http://strongfemaleprotagonist.com/issue-3/page-47-2/

Could that be.... that, with the Loony Toons mug, he was trying to tell her "look, the only reason I've been telling you all this poo poo was specifically to make you angry, there's something deeper going on, why do you think I'm doing this massive attempt at time travel" ?

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

Paladinus posted:

The mug was a call-back to one time they watched Looney Tunes together. It was an attempt by an autistic mind-reader to show some humanity.

I know it was a callback to the scene I linked. I'm suggesting that perhaps it was intended to be somewhat more than that. When they watched Loony Toons together, he commented about how Bugs can talk to Daffy in such a way that Daffy gets enraged, and none of it is serious.

Then he meets with her to talk about something super important. She knows that he thinks that there's a terrible evil conspiracy going on to kill everyone who could actually use their superpowers to change the world in a positive way. She sees that he's undertaking this big project to find out if time travel is possible. She knows that he knows that she's got a crush on him. Then he deliberately says a bunch of stuff to make her really upset. Then he tries to offer her a Loony Toons mug.

Whatever his intentions with offering her the mug, they failed miserably, yes. But could he have been planning something deeper than just "I'll show her the Loony Toons mug, as a callback to that time we watched a cartoon" ?

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

There's that early scene where she's confronted by Rat Person, a prole who rants about her being rich and privileged, and she shoves him into a garbage can and he never shows up again. Why has the series never brought him up again, and the closest we have is some metaphorically-trans audience member yelling at her for a panel or two?

... does anyone else remember something where the writer said that, poo poo, Rat Person was a mistake and they shouldn't have included him because he doesn't fit with the worldbuilding?

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

Unlucky7 posted:

webComic,
civiL
bEtween
goVernment
Impossible,
somethiNg

Chapters,
feraL
dEfend
themselVes
(kInda
Now,

Conspiracy
aLison
havE
haVe
Is
Not

:golfclap:

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

Typical Pubbie posted:

It's a weak analogy though since the professor chose to arm himself and could have disarmed himself at any time. Also there was nothing to be gained from murdering the doctor. His friend was already dead, he killed out of spite.

Edit: I mean it's pretty gross how he uses deontology as an excuse for sectarian killing

odds on him backtracking away from having killed?

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

Galvanik posted:

Alison is 21 because Patrick is, and all the biodynamics were born (or conceived?) during that month long storm in the 90s. If the oldest kid of a biodynamic just turned 11 that means the their mother gave birth at 10, and got pregnant at 9, almost certainly from abuse. Pretty dark for this dumb comic.

My incessant need to nitpick this comic usually makes me annoyed. This morning it I'm just sad :(

Maybe it's connected to the time travel stuff from last year?

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

The Lord of Hats posted:

What the hell happened to Feral's speech pattern? I dont remember her sounding like English was a second language.

She went out, got in a fight for fun, someone shoved a pool cue through her Broca's area, and now she'll sound like that until her brain grows back.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

Skellybones posted:

Isn't she supposed to be trying to improve the world or something? At the very least having a sustained breakdown over being useless? She's spending all her time going to restaurants instead of punching libertarians.

I guess what they're trying to convey is that she can't help if she's emotionally shattered? So she needs to Take Time For Herself, for Self-Care?

Maybe?

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I do appreciate the professor's attempt to sincerely critique what he sees as a prank.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

Synthbuttrange posted:

Oh no the blue floating indian guy is also biodynamic.

What a coincidence.

Wow.

Gosh.

"You thought you were a god, and you've even got followers, but you're just biodynamic".

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

GodFish posted:

Maybe its just the first 4 pages of a story that'll be in the kickstarter book? That'd make more sense anyway

I've read the Kickstarter book (it physically exists and is available in stores). The India story is only those four pages.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

Dogwood Fleet posted:

This comic has been a lot of things, but I am having trouble believing you on this.

http://www.topshelfcomix.com/catalog/strong-female-protagonist-book-one/910

"new printing January 2016"

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

Fuego Fish posted:

Turns out that Clevin is just Cleaver in a new body, trying to woo Allison. Someone asked him his name, he said "Cle-" and finished with "-vin" after panicking and not being able to think of anything else. The name stuck and now he's just doing his best to impersonate the kind of person he thinks that normal people are: sweet, saccharine, inoffensive, definitely not a murderer with knives for arms.

Okay, see, that would make this whole thing worth it. We could even factor in the time travel.

Or maybe Clevin is one of Cleaver's tumors that grew so big it fell off and ran away.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

Fuego Fish posted:

Crash Bandicoot reference! How fuckin' topical. I can almost see the writer frantically trawling through the internet to see what the kids are down with these days.

well, no, that was from when they were kids, remember? Probably around 2010.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

Nuebot posted:

Who the gently caress is Rich?

no, he was her 'hacker friend' from a while back, the one who was so talented that they joked about how maybe he was biodynamic but he pointed out that he was born too early for that.

why do i remember this

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

Flesh Forge posted:

Republican serial villain.!

:golfclap:

Parahexavoctal fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Jul 28, 2017

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I've decided to trust that they're going somewhere with this. To trust that Clevin, like the philosophy professor, is not what he seems, and that this is all leading up to something.

Because otherwise this content is really problematic.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Left once it became clear that the thread improving was irreversible. I saw OP bitterly complain about Clevin in the other Allison comic thread.

there's another one?

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

a cartoon duck posted:

It's that sitcom thing where a character is about to confess their love in the heat of the moment before realising they're too cool and/or awkward to do that so they deflect by saying they love their coffee maker or whatever instead, except there is nothing lovable about or around Clevin so she can't finish that sentence.

I was so hoping it would lead to her realizing that something was terribly terribly wrong.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

Paladinus posted:

I still find it funny that Paladin's lab looks a lot like something from Bioshock, complete with libertarian no gods, no masters spiel. She even goes into recontextualising myths, just like Rand with her shrugging Atlas. But unlike Max 'White' Powers, she's a good objectivist, because she's a disabled queer woman of colour.

... I just now realized why his name is "Max".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

Zerilan posted:

Good thing we now have a good Patrick (represented by a woman naturally) now who can fix things and become a grateful ally to Allison.

now I'm thinking it's a copy of Allison's mind in Patrick's head

• Locked thread