Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeusExMchna
Nov 9, 2013

2 thicc 2 exist
Lipstick Apathy

Sage Grimm posted:

Now I can't stop. I ran into an avatar I particularly liked here on SA and ended up doing that for my fourth piece. My mom and dad sort of reminded me to try back-stitching so I used this one as an experiment. I think next time I'm going to tone down on the colour and/or the amount.

Woah! Any chance you are willing to sell/share that pattern?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Sure. I basically saw a gif from around these parts like so:

Popped that into Paint.NET, blew it up until I could see the pixels against the grid and started threading.

I took the first frame as the basis of the design and used something like the third frame for the hearts, as shown here:

Unfortunately I don't know the colour numbers of the floss I used because they came from my mother's stash. They either weren't marked or they came from a different numbering system. I only bought a single colour from DMC numbering scheme and that was Sapphire's hair (3753). The others I sort of eyeballed it against the supplies I had and hoped it would work out. Just don't go too dark or you'll be hard-pressed to see details; I had to try a couple arrangements on Ruby's colour scheme.

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

A connoisseur of fine junk
Holy CRAP that wall of text sampler. That poor lady. :(

Re: SCA thread - screw it, I'm on it. I'll get to work on an OP and pop a link here when it's done.

Re: Blackwork : HOORAY BLACKWORK!

Would you guys be interested by any chance in doing some kind of thread-wide class? I teach a very simple beginners black work class and have a pretty good handout, and I've been working on putting together a small website that has all the steps, and some .gifs of each stitch so you don't have to start and stop videos a thousand times while trying to get it sorted out. The project for the one I've got the handout done for is the little red biscornu pincushion that's posted on the first page, and it's amazingly user-friendly and the materials to make it are very very cheap. I can knock one of these out in an afternoon, and I've had beginner stitchers make them in about a week, so giving a month or two for the full project completion should be plenty of time.

So..... Thoughts? :P

Goobers For Guts
Jul 17, 2007

That drat Satyr posted:

Re: SCA thread - screw it, I'm on it. I'll get to work on an OP and pop a link here when it's done.

I have always wondered why this was not a thing. You should make it a thing.

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3736628

It is now a thing. Help me make it a better thing! Also, are we coming to your house tomorrow for chickens y/n? I have to show you my awful awful awful cockerel hat :v

Micomicona
Aug 7, 2007

That drat Satyr posted:

Holy CRAP that wall of text sampler. That poor lady. :(

Re: Blackwork : HOORAY BLACKWORK!

Would you guys be interested by any chance in doing some kind of thread-wide class? I teach a very simple beginners black work class and have a pretty good handout, and I've been working on putting together a small website that has all the steps, and some .gifs of each stitch so you don't have to start and stop videos a thousand times while trying to get it sorted out. The project for the one I've got the handout done for is the little red biscornu pincushion that's posted on the first page, and it's amazingly user-friendly and the materials to make it are very very cheap. I can knock one of these out in an afternoon, and I've had beginner stitchers make them in about a week, so giving a month or two for the full project completion should be plenty of time.

So..... Thoughts? :P

I'd LOVE to learn some blackwork! It's always something I've admired from afar but never tried. We can all post our samplers! Happily enough, I've also been all about biscornus (biscorni?) lately (one can't have too many pincushions); even if the thread for some nuts reason doesn't go for it I'd love to check out your website :)

Also, regarding Elizabeth (the "What will become of my soul" needleworker), there's not a ton of documentation on her besides her sampler, but we do know she eventually went on to be a schoolteacher and though she never married herself she adopted her niece. They lived together until her death of old age at 76. I like to think that she found contentment, love, and comfort in her work as a teacher and mother :unsmith:

Buggalo
Mar 31, 2010
Seconding wanting a blackwork tutorial! I'd also love to learn silk shading - I have a book but if anyone knows some good practice stuff online let me know.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
There are a lot of nice blackwork patterns on Pinterest, as well as finished work for inspiration (lots of biscorni, too!) <-- going with that as the plural :)

That drat Satyr, I'm impressed with how pristine the backs of your blackwork in the SCA thread are -- mine are always a mess since I don't really plan ahead, oops.

On a cross-stitch/SCA note, I found the most amazing resource -- http://patternmakercharts.blogspot.com/

It's got French, German, and Russian cross-stitch patterns, all from before 1940, the majority from the 19th century, and they are GORGEOUS. Mostly alphabets, but if you are into calligraphy/typography like I am, you will want to drool over the beauty of those letters. The German and Russian resources have a ton of borders and graphic ornaments that are really exciting, too. My head is exploding with project ideas now (a sampler using the Cyrillic alphabet will be next!).

German examples:

Russian:

the hammers and sickles are killing me :3:

French:

:swoon::swoon::swoon:

Rabbit Hill fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Aug 17, 2015

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

Rabbit Hill posted:

There are a lot of nice blackwork patterns on Pinterest, as well as finished work for inspiration (lots of biscorni, too!) <-- going with that as the plural :)

That drat Satyr, I'm impressed with how pristine the backs of your blackwork in the SCA thread are -- mine are always a mess since I don't really plan ahead, oops.

There's a certain trick to it - you know those little puzzles from when you were a kid, where you had to make all the dots connect but never cross a line twice? It's just that, but with thread! Once you get the first cycle of the pattern figured out, it's very easy from there.

I'll get a post together here in a little bit for the "class" project, since a few people seem interested. :3

Oh my god. OH MY GOD.

ArtificialSweetener
Jul 16, 2007
It's just not the same...
Just wanted to show off a few of my cross stitches I've completed.

From a Dimenions kit. First one I've completed since I was much younger and doing those kits made for kids, so pardon the weird back stitching.

A simple bookmark from a kit that I still haven't actually turned into a bookmark.

And this one came from a mystery stitch-along from https://steoch.com. All the patterns are still up til the end of August if you want to grab them.

Angry Pie
Feb 4, 2007
Do you want a piece of me?!
I finished my giant project! :woop:

Imgur album here if you want to take a look at a few more photos of it. I'm going to wash and block it this weekend (so nervous) and then my mom said she'd matte and frame it for me. She's a painter so she's WAY better at that than I am.

I'm actually kind of bummed I'm finished, it took me so long and now I'm just gonna give it away! On to the next project, I guess, hopefully I can actually decide on one.

Angry Pie
Feb 4, 2007

ArtificialSweetener posted:

Just wanted to show off a few of my cross stitches I've completed.

From a Dimenions kit. First one I've completed since I was much younger and doing those kits made for kids, so pardon the weird back stitching.

Sorry for double post - I missed this in my eagerness to post about my own poo poo but this is lovely! I only ever do dumb stuff so I tend to forget that cross stitch can be really pretty.

ArtificialSweetener
Jul 16, 2007

Angry Pie posted:

Sorry for double post - I missed this in my eagerness to post about my own poo poo but this is lovely! I only ever do dumb stuff so I tend to forget that cross stitch can be really pretty.

The dumb stuff can be fun, too! I modified this from a pattern I've seen posted elsewhere to match what colors I already had and added a few extra sparkles around.

Fashionably Great
Jul 10, 2008
I've never cross stitched/embroidered before but I saw a pattern on Etsy that looked easy enough and my boyfriend's birthday is coming up, so I bought a $1 kit for the frame/cloth/thread and made this:

Not perfect, but as babby's first project I think it's okay.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

Grape Soda posted:

I've never cross stitched/embroidered before but I saw a pattern on Etsy that looked easy enough and my boyfriend's birthday is coming up, so I bought a $1 kit for the frame/cloth/thread and made this:

Not perfect, but as babby's first project I think it's okay.

it's great! little projects like that are a fabulous way to start, and they make really delightful gifts.

Tlacuache
Jul 3, 2007
Cross my heart, smack me dead, stick a lobster on my head.

Hope this shows up, I'm phone posting. I've decided to do some Cards Against Humanity themed throw pillows to sell/for my own amusement and just got this done. Dragon's in stem stitch, lettering is in scroll stitch.

Grape Juice Vampire
Aug 1, 2009

Made this a week or two ago while marathoning movies. And yes, I know, BEIT. :downs:

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

So grateful for finding this thread! Over the summer I was so stressed beyond belief with classes and other life stuff I realized I needed a calm, low-cost hobby. I started with a beaded sugar skull kit and it was amazing to see the pattern come together bit by bit. Beadwork was easier than I anticipated, too! Currently I'm working on...well:

(Edit: fixed crappy phone pic images)

Trying to match the shading in the original pixel art was challenging, I don't think I picked the best colors but this is all new for me so I try not to let that get me down. I want to fill in details around them, like party hats, pizza, and so forth.

Does anyone experience issues with their elbow or arm getting sore from holding fabric in place? The hoops I've tried so far are poo poo and it's easier for me just to keep it in hand, but the stiffness gets to be too much for me. I need to dig into the posted resources and maybe see about a stand or something.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Oct 9, 2015

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

I finished my latest project tonight! a cross-stitch of the peacock spider Maratus volans, using a pattern I adapted myself from a photograph
he uses 11 colours of thread :D would have been 10 but I thought only 2 browns was pushing it a bit

Angry Pie
Feb 4, 2007

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

Does anyone experience issues with their elbow or arm getting sore from holding fabric in place? The hoops I've tried so far are poo poo and it's easier for me just to keep it in hand, but the stiffness gets to be too much for me. I need to dig into the posted resources and maybe see about a stand or something.

Yep, my shoulder and elbow both get sore but I just ice it later and have a glass of wine. I have tennis elbow plus tendonitis in my wrists though so maybe I'm just used to a certain base level of pain/numbness.

I do use hoops/frames though. I've always used a regular round plastic hoop and recently I've tried Q snap frames on recommendation of this thread, and they are AMAZING. It was an adjustment from hoop to frame but I quite like it. It took me a few to find the right size (6-inch too small, 11 too big, 8 is the Goldilocks size!) but I'm solid on it now.

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

The technical, historically correct way to do it is to not use a frame or hoop. Ye olden fine ladies were expected to delicately hold their fabric and stitch it.

Don't torture yourself, it's not worth it.

In my experience, if I'm having trouble with a hoop, the hoop is too big. Think of embroidery like tampons: always use the smallest hoop you possibly can get by with, anything bigger is just going to make you uncomfortable and cause you pain. For most of my work, I use a 3 or 4inch hoop and move it around a lot for the areas. A lot of people don't like using hoops that small because it does make marks on your work - you can fix that by always taking the work out of the hoop when you're not actively stitching it. You can also avoid it by using either wooden hoops, or if you're doing cross stitch and tension isn't a huge necessity, using a spring tension hoop that just holds the fabric taunt.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

That drat Satyr posted:

The technical, historically correct way to do it is to not use a frame or hoop. Ye olden fine ladies were expected to delicately hold their fabric and stitch it.
This is absolutely not true. Here's Mme. de Pompadour with her very elegant tambour hoop.
Professionals, who did much of the surviving work, had enormous frames that could have a person seated and working on both sides.

You might consider a lap frame -- you stick the board under your thigh and it holds the hoop for you. All you need to do is stitch. They can be expensive, or can be fairly reasonable, or if you're handy at woodwork you can get a friend to build the board-and-stick part and put a clamp on it.

http://www.123stitch.com/item/American-Dream-Products-E-Z-Stitch-Lap-Stand-Lap-Frame/ADP-EZLS
I have one of these, together with the conversion kit to hold Q-snaps:
http://www.123stitch.com/item/Ks-Creations-Baby-Z-Lap-Frame/KC-BZCL
There's also the more elegant colonial style with built-in hoop
http://www.jdr-be.com/N6972.htm

Or you can take an old spring-tension lamp (the kind that clamp onto a desk), take off the lamp part, and use binder clamps or somesuch to attach a hoop to.

e: Huh, I didn't know this existed. Clover, makers of brilliant needlework tools, have a turnable hoop that clamps to a table-top. http://www.amazon.com/Clover-8815-Turnable-Hoop-7-Inches/dp/B000YZ1ZEQ

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Oct 11, 2015

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

Correction accepted! :v:

I've found any kind of square frame to be rough to use for "smaller" work - I used one of course with my wolf bag posted earlier in the thread, and it helped a lot with the laid work because I needed to go across the entire design with one "stitch", but I've still always had the best luck with the smallest hoop you can get by with.

Right now, this is my current project - a hood for a friend in the SCA - mind the fur, it's wool and my cat is attracted to it like ducks to bread, and it's meant to be done by Wednesday. I don't know if I'm going to finish it in time but god I'm trying. ;_;

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Wow, that is gorgeous work.

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

Thanks! I swear it looks way nicer when I've ran over it with a lint brush. Dumb cat with his dumb fur. I have learned that for myself Wool is definitely not great for trying to do fine detail lines, I'm just not that good at being steady.

But, anyway - semi-related to wool and period embroidery - Opus Anglicanum just put up the first part of her stitch along for this year, and in it she's got a lovely step-by-step with front and back pictures for how basic laid-and-couched work in the bayeux tapestry style is done. It's very neat if that's something you're interested in playing with!

https://opusanglicanum.wordpress.com/2015/10/10/2015-stitchalong-part-one/

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Thank you all for the tips! And just some lovely work posted recently, too! I can't wait to start trying to really learn to do shading and working with single bits of thread and all. I'm not sure what it is about embroidery that makes me feel accomplished compared to other crafts I've tried, but gosh it's satisfying.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

vaguely posted:

I finished my latest project tonight! a cross-stitch of the peacock spider Maratus volans, using a pattern I adapted myself from a photograph
he uses 11 colours of thread :D would have been 10 but I thought only 2 browns was pushing it a bit

This spider is adorable and well detailed. :3:

ArtificialSweetener
Jul 16, 2007

This one is actually from a free design from this site.

Though it should be noted that when they say to use the color DMC 3652, it doesn't exist, so use DMC 3853 instead.

After I finish 2 more smaller projects, I plan on starting one of those gigantic, super detailed, fantasy patterns that will take months to do. I'm kind of waiting around to see if any websites do any sales around/after Christmas time just to get the floss and fabric for it. The drat thing is 88 colors, and the floss usage chart is estimating 12 skeins of just black :gonk:.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

ArtificialSweetener posted:

This one is actually from a free design from this site.

Oh my gosh this is so cute. Your stitching looks so smooth! Thanks for sharing this, I have friends getting married on Halloween and I think I could pull this off in the next few weeks!

Scandalous Wench
Aug 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Getting back into embroidery with a halfway finished shiba stitch! Yes it's based on a silly internet meme, but it's fun and haters can step to the left. I'll hang it over my shiba's bed when I'm done. :3:

I got the pattern from here: https://www.etsy.com/transaction/1032550195

Apologies for blurry phone pic!

legendof
Oct 27, 2014

Hello thread! I'm looking into recreating a historical piece as a present for a friend. Is there anyone who can tell me what stitch this is? I have fairly minimal experience outside cross stitch.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary,_Queen_of_Scots#/media/File%3AMary%2C_Queen_of_Scots_-_A_catte_-_Google_Art_Project.jpg

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

IIRC (I can't find my book on MQS'a needlework right now) that's what the Brits call "tent stitch" and the Americans call "half-cross stitch". That embroidery piece is what the Elizabethans called a "slip": you embroidered a design on canvas or linen, then cut it out, finished the edges so they wouldn't fray (two lines of couching with probably satin stitch in between, but don't hold me to that last one), and stitched them on to a larger object such as a set of bed curtains or a cushion-cover.

e: If you look closely at the cat's head, you can see the canvas underneath where the embroidery has worn away.

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

Actually, it looks to me like that piece has quite a few stitches going on. The blue is almost certainly a tent stitch, but the entire body of the cat is laid and couched, but its hard to tell what she's done for the darker markings. It almost looks like she's just stained it in after stitching it.

There's also full on cross stitches in some of the lighter areas, and it looks as if the entire edge was once covered in small seed beads.

This looks like a hell of a fun piece to recreate, and I am kind of jealous. C:

That Damn Satyr fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Oct 29, 2015

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

That drat Satyr posted:

Actually, it looks to me like that piece has quite a few stitches going on. The blue is almost certainly a tent stitch, but the entire body of the cat is laid and couched, but its hard to tell what she's done for the darker markings. It almost looks like she's just stained it in after stitching it.

(This is because I think it's fun to discuss, not because I think you are heinously wrong and should be beheaded.)
What you see as "stained it in" I see as the original pen marks on canvas that the embroiderer used as guides; I really do think that's perished embroidery revealing the background. If you look immediately to the left, you'll see that the black outlines in the surviving embroidery are not overmarked with black.

quote:

There's also full on cross stitches in some of the lighter areas, and it looks as if the entire edge was once covered in small seed beads.

Your eyes are better than mine re the cross stitches. However, what you see as seed beads I see as couching stitches covering a thick cord, which once must have been ornamental. I would not be shocked, and I'd need a magnifying glass to be sure, if the couched cord was once silver-gilt covering silk, and once again the silver-gilt has decayed.

Look at this thread which is documented to a late Elizabethan embroidered jacket. Close-up picture of reproduction stitches.

quote:

This looks like a hell of a fun piece to recreate, and I am kind of jealous. C:
Ditto.

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

It didn't even occur to me that it might be gold or something-else wrapped thread. That's a great point.

This is, unfortunately, one of the worst parts of trying to do a recreation. You can only go by what you can find about it. That being said, I've heard of people that have had some success with items in public museum collections emailing and asking for a specific photo (ie, in this case, say, a closer look at the cat area to tell if it's really just the canvas, or actually a stitch).

I sure know if I ever make it to Europe, my itinerary will revolve around pieces of art and textile I want to see irl.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

That drat Satyr posted:

I sure know if I ever make it to Europe, my itinerary will revolve around pieces of art and textile I want to see irl.

What I hear from my costumers' group is that many costume/textile museums will let you see objects that are off-display up close in their study room, if you make an advance appointment.

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

Now that I'm on my computer and not trying to look at this stuff on a tiny screen, I absolutely agree - it's a wrapped and couched thread on that border.

However, I'm still not so certain about the cat. There are places where there's obvious detail tent/cross stitching done, as i'm sure we can all agree that's there, but it's so weird that the overall main body of the cat is just... blank. Even attributed to wear, there would be more even wear along the other stitches, and not only within the body of that cat. Most resources I've found say that everything on the piece is done in silk, so I suppose it's possible that the nature of the dye used on that bit would have caused it to deteriorate faster but.. I dunno. I still argue that it looks like something's been laid and couched in that left area, but i do agree that you can see the canvas too there.

Though another thought just occurred to me which might be a third solution - maybe there was a tear somewhere in the fabric, and it's been darned back together. That would explain the weird "extra" lines, I suppose.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

I agree with you that if it were a dye problem, you'd expect the remaining bits in the same color to have vanished as well, while the stuff immediately to the left of the line is presumably in the same colors as on the right. Moths? They do attack silk as well as wool. Some sort of hypothetical insect could have gobbled the silk/wool and left the hemp canvas alone.

There's a historic embroidery/needlework mailing list (PM me for info); today I got a link to a 1568 engraving of a professional embroiderer working on a frame in front of a window. https://www.pinterest.com/pin/277182552039861309/ I like the round thingy he's using to hold his supplies.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Everybody should drop what they're doing and go to http://sophiebrode.canalblog.com/archives/2015/11/07/32892862.html . It's in French, but the pictures speak for themselves. I am fascinated by the things that the designer is doing with texture -- I've seen American designers use braids and such, but as cross-stitch and needlepoint threads. The mix of fibers on the blooms is wonderful, and I like the background of plain ol' straight stitch in stripes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Hey Embroidery thread, I see this thread has so far only contained hand embroidery but I just bought a Brother SE400 after doing some work with my moms higher end machine.

Anyone here do any digitizing or machine embroidery? I'm specifically trying to get some help with push/pull compensation.

First thing I stitched today when unboxing my machine and testing it out:

My current WIP which is an SA parody of the "Don't Tread on Me" flag. The top one is my original digitzation and was stitched on my moms machine. The one below was stitched on my machine with some improvements. Mainly the border, and the frogs face.

My big issue right now is that when stitching the yellow background, it pushes the rectangular patch into more of a rhombus shape. My current thinking to compensate is have it fill stitch the background half way from each corner, so as to make 2 triangles that meet in the middle. That's originally how it wanted to do it, but I changed it because it caused threads to be stitched under the fill, which were visible. I think if I do some manual stitch placement I can solve that issue while also compensating for the push of the stitches.

Second issue is that the lettering has small specks of yellow that come through from either the fill or the nylon I'm stitching into. I'm not sure if it's my stitch type, my stitch density, what. It's not a terrible issue, but it's sort of annoying.