Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
Bastion is so unique that saying describing it by whatever genres that it falls into is woefully inadequate. Same thing with Transistor. They're both well worth experiencing, especially since they're half a weekend at most.

Anyway, in terms of backlog shenanigans, I have a list in my steam library specifically labelled as "will never play". It's full of games that came in bundles, stuff I bought and then realised "why the hell did I buy this?" etc. I've learnt to accept that just because I've purchased a game doesn't mean it has to be played.

But I will buy games knowing that I won't immediately play them, hell I may not even play them for years. But I own them, and I may install them on a lazy day and play them. I've done it before, I'll continue to do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

Motherfucker posted:

shut the gently caress up

aren't you a cool guy

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

bastion IS amazing but don't you dare say that genres are bad at describing unique games or motherfucker is gonna troll the poo poo outta you

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

Motherfucker posted:

If you're not gonna open the :can: I am~ The purpose of Genres is to define a product (what games usually are, especially games bankrolled by Warner Brothers) and when nerds decide arbitrarily because something is good that it defies genre cheapens things that actually do. Half life two is a FPS, Pachelbel's Canon is a piece of music and Bastion is definitely an isometric beat em up, a good one, but still one.

Its more than the sum of its parts is a nothing statement.

Spot the guy whose sick of hearing how great bastion was.

Video game genres are poo poo at defining games, have been for a while now. Genres were being established when they had like one principle mechanic. Calling Super Mario Brothers a platformer was adequate when all you did was jump.

Combine that with the fact that like half the reason Bastion is good is because of its art and music and there you go, woefully inadequate. It's not that complicated.

• Locked thread