Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747
I have a lot of games in my backlog I've never played and I don't want to let them pass without trying them because who knows, they might be great.

If you force yourself to finish a game you can't stand that's just dumb. Admit you made a bad buy and move on, it happens to all of us. That's why Duke Nukem Forever will forever sit at ~10 minutes playtime in my library (it turned me off pretty much immediately).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Motherfucker posted:

shut the gently caress up

no u

cat doter posted:

But I will buy games knowing that I won't immediately play them, hell I may not even play them for years. But I own them, and I may install them on a lazy day and play them. I've done it before, I'll continue to do it.

This, pretty much. I've bought a game because it looks cool and then immediately booted New Vegas. I play my backlog whenever I get bored enough with my regular games.

Also Bastion is amazing.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Motherfucker posted:

no please tell us more about how bastion is a transcendental experience which defies definition.

If you don't want to hear people :spergin: about games what are you doing on the something awful dot com games forum

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Motherfucker posted:

I'm genuinely interested in hearing how video game genres are 'woefully inadequate' at describing video games following a common trend.

Succinctly, because Bastion is more than the sum of its parts. Saying it's an isometric platformer slash beat-em-up is like saying Pachelbel's Canon is a piece of music written in the key of D major and 4/4 time. It's technically accurate but it kind of misses the whole point.

(I am not saying Bastion is as culturally relevant as Pachelbel's Canon nor am I saying it has the same artistic value. I don't want to open the whole 'video games/art' :can:. It's just an analogy.)

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Motherfucker posted:

If you're not gonna open the :can: I am~ The purpose of Genres is to define a product (what games usually are, especially games bankrolled by Warner Brothers) and when nerds decide arbitrarily because something is good that it defies genre cheapens things that actually do. Half life two is a FPS, Pachelbel's Canon is a piece of music and Bastion is definitely an isometric beat em up, a good one, but still one.

Its more than the sum of its parts is a nothing statement.

Spot the guy whose sick of hearing how great bastion was.

You know what? Honestly, I can't argue with that. You made a good point and you made it effectively.

This may be the best discussion I've ever had that started with "shut the gently caress up".

• Locked thread