Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zoolooman
Mar 30, 2003

Backlogging. Bleh. It's not just playing games you bought a while back. It's going back and finishing a game that bored you. It's giving a game more than a fair shake. It's playing through all the games you've bought, one by one, fighting to squeeze value from every purchase you've made.

It's the sunken costs fallacy in action.

You’ve already thrown away money on the Steam Sale. You can't get that money back. However, you can choose how to spend your time. If you play through a mediocre game to completion in order to squeeze value out of your purchase, you’re just throwing good time after bad purchases.

You’re doubling up on the loss, adding lost time onto the lost cash.

Don’t backlog. You’ve made a TON of bad impulse purchases. We all have. It’s inevitable. Don’t punish yourself by trying to find value in those purchases. That time can be better spent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoolooman
Mar 30, 2003

Endorph posted:

What if you legitimately want to get back to a game but forgot about it?

I don't force myself to finish games I put in my backlog, I just put them in there as a 'give this another shot' thing, and if I get bored of it in two hours it gets shelved again.

That's not the tedious backlogging that I see people do, with checklists and whining that they've bought too many games and "need" to finish something. That poo poo is like work.

You don't need to finish anything, but if you've enjoyed something and got distracted, then why not play it? If you think it'll get better, why not play it? Since you're willing to give it up if it doesn't pay off, it doesn't sound like you're obsessively backlogging.

Zoolooman
Mar 30, 2003

boom boom boom posted:

PC gaming is a lot cheaper than console gaming. You bought that six month old game for 40 bucks, I bought that game and 29 other games I'll never play for 60. 30 games for 60 bucks. Steam sales bitch. I've bought thousands of dollars of games I've never even installed for only a few hundred dollars.

Sometimes, I type a few letters to start a search in my Library. Turns out I own games I didn't even know loving existed. Steam Sales man.

• Locked thread