Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

Twee as gently caress posted:

right because there's no sense of fulfillment or purpose in building a career in a way that you think matters to the rest of the world, sharing your life with someone and raising children and later on retire as grand-parents to enjoy the fruits of your life and see the results of your effort in the next generations

you're much better off just sitting on disability playing steam game 40 hours a day until you die of one of the many diseases that afflict people with morbid obesity good point

Do you need a hug? C'mere an' get a ehug, Twee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cold Fusion
May 27, 2001

All Life Is Pain

Clochette
Aug 12, 2013

I always thought it was weird how you never hear about African diamond miners or Thai child prostitutes being depressed. I guess if you're struggling to survive on a basic level you don't have the time to be depressed.

IsaoHung
Jun 9, 2013

Everything they said is true

Clochette posted:

I always thought it was weird how you never hear about African diamond miners or Thai child prostitutes being depressed. I guess if you're struggling to survive on a basic level you don't have the time to be depressed.

One of the dumbest things I have read this week. Of course they are depressed you ignoramus. But when we hear about them what are people going to talk about? Their depression or the lovely condition of their lives as a whole?
Kwa'indo slaves 25/8 in the diamond mine and his life is horrible, but don't worry this doesn't depress him because he is too busy to HAVE ANY loving EMOTIONS AT ALL!

IsaoHung
Jun 9, 2013

Everything they said is true
I'm sorry I shouldn't have been rude.

Clochette
Aug 12, 2013

IsaoHung posted:

That's okay. :sparkles:

But isn't being depressed different than just having a lovely life? In one case your life is lovely so of course you're sad, and in the other you need medication.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Depression doesn't necessarily tether to circumstance. You could have everything you want in life and be depressed. And awknowledging that you should be happy and fufilled makes it worse because it screams in your face that there's something wrong with you. Furthermore, people who can't empathize with your cognitive dissconnect will judge you to be spoiled, attention-seeking and selfish, so you feel increasingly isolated because you're afraid to express yourself to anyone.

:sigh:

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

depression is a result of western decadence and slipping away from righteousness. the americans live empty and unfulfilling lives. more and more of them will come to realize islam is the only answer inshallah

gagelion
Jun 13, 2013

by XyloJW

Das Boo posted:

people who can't empathize with your cognitive dissconnect will judge you to be spoiled, attention-seeking and selfish

:sigh:

are there literally people who think "depressed people are just selfish!"?

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

gagelion posted:

There are literally people who think this.

gagelion
Jun 13, 2013

by XyloJW
drat thats really stupid man i hate people

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

boom boom boom posted:

because of this horrible cyberpunk future we live in.

Could have been steampunk, count your blessings.

Pumpy Muffinz posted:

we are? I know a lot of people in my generation who have kids

Why would they do that to them? Peak time to have kids was probably about 1946 (if white and male).

Disco Pope fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Jun 15, 2014

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

Last night I was introduced to the concept of post-traumatic growth, which is something nobody has ever talked about in my presence before. Imagine that, people can become stronger after traumatic events and not all survivors need to be hella coddled and felt sorry for!

I wanna learn about it and introduce the idea to E/N, but then I'd be less happy because there would be a little less comedy on the Internet.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Shithouse Dave posted:

Last night I was introduced to the concept of post-traumatic growth, which is something nobody has ever talked about in my presence before. Imagine that, people can become stronger after traumatic events and not all survivors need to be hella coddled and felt sorry for!

I wanna learn about it and introduce the idea to E/N, but then I'd be less happy because there would be a little less comedy on the Internet.

who was the teacher? What was their traumatic thing?

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

Pumpy Muffinz posted:

who was the teacher? What was their traumatic thing?

It wasn't a lecture or anything, it was a conversation with an older friend. She had leukaemia twice, while caring for a small child solo because her partner couldn't deal with the first cancer, and later adopted two russian sisters who both have fetal alcohol syndrome and various pre-adoption traumas but cope in very different ways. She's a retired science teacher and does not brook any bullshit, but I have literally just been made aware that this concept exists, so I don't know much about it yet.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

IsaoHung posted:

nah that post was p spastic

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

:burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug:

Ultimate Shrek Fan posted:

I'm not depressed. I have a good job where I make great money and can therefore afford to have fun and buy nice things. Life is great.

give me money

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

england lost

Corey Plumper
Nov 22, 2008

I was depressed earlier because I was in walmart but then I left walmart and now I'm better

gagelion
Jun 13, 2013

by XyloJW

Shithouse Dave posted:

lmao at crybaby veterans with ptsd XD whiny faggots

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

gagelion posted:

why is everyone depressed

I used to be but then I quit taking anti-depressants

true story

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp
life is cool

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp
yo you gotta stop thinking of all that negative stuff all the time and put in real work to make things better for yourself ya dig

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Reporting for shovel mission Sir.
The CIA invented depression in 1982.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

redshirt posted:

The CIA invented depression in 1982.

just another reason to hate teh CIA

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Twee as gently caress posted:

right because there's no sense of fulfillment or purpose in building a career in a way that you think matters to the rest of the world, sharing your life with someone and raising children and later on retire as grand-parents to enjoy the fruits of your life and see the results of your effort in the next generations

you're much better off just sitting on disability playing steam game 40 hours a day until you die of one of the many diseases that afflict people with morbid obesity good point

it's all in your perception of reality if you can be fulfilled and content doing jack poo poo all then it doesn't really matter does it

it's like the monks who meditate and achieve enlightenment and then just live in the mountains eating rice and don't give a poo poo about anything

NadaTooma
Aug 24, 2004

The good thing is that everyone around you has more critical failures in combat, the bad thing is - so do you!
Sometimes I think I have felt everything I’m ever gonna feel. And from here on out, I’m not gonna feel anything new. Just lesser versions of what I’ve already felt.

i think that's from the movie "her" or whatever

BrawndoTQ
Oct 18, 2001

gagelion posted:

lmao at crybaby veterans with ptsd XD whiny faggots

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Corey Plumper posted:

I was depressed earlier because I was in walmart but then I left walmart and now I'm better

I walk around Walmart with headphones on blasting grizzly bear

stuntwaffle
Mar 7, 2007

I wish Starbound was a dick so I could put it in my ass and mouth!
if life is meaningless, then realizing that is meaningless too, so whatever

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

literally everything about existence is terrible

Iamblikhos
Jun 9, 2013

IRONKNUCKLE PERMA-BANNED! CHALLENGES LIBERALS TO 10-TOPIC POLITICAL DEBATE! READ HERE

gagelion posted:

drat thats really stupid man i hate people

that could be a sign of depression, perhaps you should see someone about that

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

If nothing matters, then you can do anything you want.

What do you wanna do?

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax
http://www.inspiracy.com/black/abolition/abolitionofwork.html

Torka
Jan 5, 2008

Shithouse Dave posted:

What do you wanna do?

how could a person who feels that nothing matters want anything the world has to offer

Iamblikhos
Jun 9, 2013

IRONKNUCKLE PERMA-BANNED! CHALLENGES LIBERALS TO 10-TOPIC POLITICAL DEBATE! READ HERE

Shithouse Dave posted:

What do you wanna do?

wanna enter a suicide pact?

Aurora-Capitah
Apr 29, 2014

by XyloJW

gagelion posted:

As a depressed person I think this all the time.

monkey
Jan 20, 2004

by zen death robot
Yams Fan
Humans are supposed to eat meat. Anything that is supposed to eat meat but does not kill other things on a regular basis is going to become depressed, or at least unfulfilled. People weren't depressed during the world wars because all the killing going on made life interesting and normal, but as soon as the wars were over, BAM! the great depression. So if you are feeling a little bit down in the dumps, maybe you should murder you're famil

naem
May 29, 2011

I broke up with this girl and chasing down one as hot is hard, my hearts not in it just yet.

Also work is gay but pays well so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IronClaymore
Jun 30, 2010

by Athanatos

Moridin920 posted:

it's all in your perception of reality if you can be fulfilled and content doing jack poo poo all then it doesn't really matter does it

it's like the monks who meditate and achieve enlightenment and then just live in the mountains eating rice and don't give a poo poo about anything

It's pretty hard to give a poo poo about anything when you only eat rice. It's called vitamin B12 deficiency. It's also why vegans tend to be a little bit thick, but whether that's because you have to be stupid to cut out animal products in the first place or doing so makes you stupid is ambiguous.

monkey posted:

Humans are supposed to eat meat. Anything that is supposed to eat meat but does not kill other things on a regular basis is going to become depressed, or at least unfulfilled. People weren't depressed during the world wars because all the killing going on made life interesting and normal, but as soon as the wars were over, BAM! the great depression. So if you are feeling a little bit down in the dumps, maybe you should murder you're famil

This guy knows what's up. But don't eat your family after you kill them. That's how all those brain melting diseases got started. Eat a chicken instead.

• Locked thread