Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Iamblikhos
Jun 9, 2013

IRONKNUCKLE PERMA-BANNED! CHALLENGES LIBERALS TO 10-TOPIC POLITICAL DEBATE! READ HERE

naem posted:

I broke up with this girl and chasing down one as hot is hard, my hearts not in it just yet.

Also work is gay but pays well so

maybe if you stopped being a male prostitute you could finally turn your attention to finding true love

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emTme3
Nov 7, 2012

by Hand Knit

Pumpy Muffinz posted:

we are? I know a lot of people in my generation who have kids

who will starve when the food runs out

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

allie brosh

Calvin Johnson Jr.
Dec 8, 2009

monkey posted:

Humans are supposed to eat meat. Anything that is supposed to eat meat but does not kill other things on a regular basis is going to become depressed, or at least unfulfilled. People weren't depressed during the world wars because all the killing going on made life interesting and normal, but as soon as the wars were over, BAM! the great depression. So if you are feeling a little bit down in the dumps, maybe you should murder you're famil

same

Faux-Ass Nonsense
Feb 9, 2013

by Lowtax
because i have a weak and undisciplined mind, and happiness is something that you need to work for.

also unemployed

any tips/books/anecdotes on removing your inner human being?

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Shithouse Dave posted:

Last night I was introduced to the concept of post-traumatic growth, which is something nobody has ever talked about in my presence before. Imagine that, people can become stronger after traumatic events and not all survivors need to be hella coddled and felt sorry for!

I wanna learn about it and introduce the idea to E/N, but then I'd be less happy because there would be a little less comedy on the Internet.
ah yes, "zenkai" *nods knowingly*

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax

Faux-rear end Nonsense posted:

because i have a weak and undisciplined mind, and happiness is something that you need to work for.

also unemployed

1. Stop watching anime
2. Lift some heavy things until you are fit, then lift some more
3. Dress like an adult
4. Get a job
5. Get new hobbies that don't depend on the internet (video games don't count)

Basically, live your life like this unironically:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LB5YkmjalDg[

Decebal
Jan 6, 2010
You need the whole pyramid to be happy. Any bricks missing and you get depressed.

Faux-Ass Nonsense
Feb 9, 2013

by Lowtax

Twee as gently caress posted:

1. Stop watching anime
2. Lift some heavy things until you are fit, then lift some more
3. Dress like an adult
4. Get a job
5. Get new hobbies that don't depend on the internet (video games don't count)

Basically, live your life like this unironically:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LB5YkmjalDg[

1. I don't.
2. I do, plus I skate, hike & cycle.
3. Not sure about this one. Usually dark-wash jeans, solid colour slim fit tshirt & skate shoes.
4. I distribute ~30 resumes a week. Doing various certifications too.
5. My gaming is around 6 hours a week. Most of that is Tetris on the shitter.

the last point is a good one though, I need to find a good social hobby.go to open mic nights monthly, but i cant get the motivation/focus to get into something creative/practical like maybe carpentry or coding

it's what I mean about mental weakness.you just give up & never try anything new/challenging & it becomes pavlovian.avoidance, i think it's called

when'd you rereg anyway?seem like one of the more sensible people here :cawg:

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax
he was unbanned following his permaban at the hands of a homo who wanted to flex his muscles online

urea
Aug 18, 2013

right because there's no sense of fulfillment or purpose in building a career in a way that you think matters to the rest of the world, sharing your life with someone and raising children and later on retire as grand-parents to enjoy the fruits of your life and see the results of your effort in the next generations

you're much better off just sitting on disability playing steam game 40 hours a day until you die of one of the many diseases that afflict people with morbid obesity good point

this, but unsarcastically
life, man

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

also unemployed

feel the fear and do it anyway

its a gay rear end title but a good idea and an easy read

also get the 6 weeks free nhs counselling it is p. helpful

e: apparently you already exercise so that's a big positive

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Jun 15, 2014

Faux-Ass Nonsense
Feb 9, 2013

by Lowtax

Bobby Deluxe posted:

even if you just do like pushups and get some cheap dumb bells from argos, prison exercises it will improve your mood the same day

lol this is word for word what im doing

Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

Honey it's tight like that.
College Slice

any books on removing your inner human being?

and pretty much every book by him

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax
It looks like you're already on the right path!

Since you are already fit and like to do sports, I would suggest that you join the idea of getting a social hobby with being fit. Try to find an adult league that practices a sport you've wanted to play, or never thought about playing, and try it! Out of it you'll get:

1. Developing new skills (and feeling good about becoming better at something concrete)
2. Get fitter (and who doesn't like that?)
3. Meet lots of new people

Like if you decide to start playing baseball or basketball or whatever it's pretty normal for most guys afterwards to go and drink a beer together, and if it's co-ed then you could possibly meet a girl who is active as well etc...

Keep working on the resume thing, hopefully it will pan out. I was going that, on the side, you complete various free courses or certifications but you already seem to be doing that, so that's great. As far as clothes, you seem to be dressing appropriately for someone your age (but you'll need some changes by the time you hit the big 3-0).

As far as creative/practical hobbies I'd say one option would be to try free classes of a poo poo ton of things. Usually any decent cities will have plenty of people offering you to try out hobbies or new skills or crafts for free once and then some kind of co-pay to keep using the place or whatever. Maybe you'll discover your really like building small boats inside of bottles or using tools and make your own desks or even repair old clocks to sell on Etsy to hipsters. Try a bunch of things, and eventually you'll find one that makes you go 'Hmmm, that's p nice let's stick with it'

Honestly I think you just need to do three things and you will find your mood go up 100%

1. Join a sports league
2. Find the motivation to get into a more creative and practical hobby by trying a bunch of them
3. Volunteer your time to a charity of your choice

You seem to have most of your life in check already, so I think something else that would really help you put things in perspective would be to give some of your free time. And well, if you are jobless you clearly have a lot of it. Go spend a few hours a week at a soup kitchen helping out, or go to a nursing home and spend time with old people who have no one, or volunteer for a charity that helps sick kids or something like that. Not only are you gonna feel good about the fact that what you did for those hours actually mattered to someone else and you did great things in the world, but will also put in perspective your own situation. After feeding the homeless or spending a few hours talking to some old man no one really cares about it's really hard to go out walking young and fit in the world and think 'woe is me'

Good luck you're almost there

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Decebal posted:

You need the whole pyramid to be happy. Any bricks missing and you get depressed.

i dont poop much so that must be the cause of my depression. thanks

edit: if anyone is clinically depressed they should just pick up a hobby like soccer or get a haircut and stop being such a loving sad sack jesus christ

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax
and yeah i came back about a week or so when the perma was overturned and reading that last wall of text i apparently forgot that E/N ain't GBS and vice-versa

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

gagelion posted:

why is everyone depressed

I blame the rap music.
And, the man.

Faux-Ass Nonsense
Feb 9, 2013

by Lowtax
thx Twee, you seem like a good dude :cheers:

i should give uni another go in the next 2 years, im kind of in a dreary neck of the woods in terms of events & social stuff

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax

thx Twee, you seem like a good dude :cheers:

i should give uni another go in the next 2 years, im kind of in a dreary neck of the woods in terms of events & social stuff

Thanks!

And yeah uni is good to help when you feel like you've kind of reached a dead-end when it comes to events & social stuff. Still, there is no better way to forget about your problems than helping those who need much much more than you do.

Going to bed thinking that you've really made a difference in someone's life and brightened their days is a whole lot better than going to bed thinking 'When is my life going to get better? :smith: '

urea
Aug 18, 2013

Minorkos posted:

stop being such a loving sad sack jesus christ

Hey, don't sad-shame. Being born into this miserable world wasn't a choice!

Faux-Ass Nonsense
Feb 9, 2013

by Lowtax

Thanks!

And yeah uni is good to help when you feel like you've kind of reached a dead-end when it comes to events & social stuff. Still, there is no better way to forget about your problems than helping those who need much much more than you do.

Going to bed thinking that you've really made a difference in someone's life and brightened their days is a whole lot better than going to bed thinking 'When is my life going to get better? :smith: '

yeah, i don't mind old folks.will look into listening to their stream-of-consciousness rambling

also maybe mountain rescue..

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013
Depression is funny because people think they're not supposed to be depressed.
Did you know that frogs get depressed? Birds, also get depressed. Rats are regularly used to test anti-depressents, because rats, haha, also get depressed.

Depression is natural.
What it means, on an animal level is that you are waiting for more favorable circumstances to come about.
For example, a lack of sunlight during the winter months causes depression to encourage animals, to move around less so that they do not waste precious energy.

We, as animals capable of conscious choice, will sometimes convince ourselves that our circumstances are unfavorable, and we will wait, thinking things will get better and we can then go on with our lives. That's why everyone is depressed. We're all waiting for some tipping-point event to tell us which way to run.

So, mystery solved?

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax

yeah, i don't mind old folks.will look into listening to their stream-of-consciousness rambling

also maybe mountain rescue..

A lot of them can tell you really interesting stuff too. I used to read to this old man years who couldn't anymore ago once a week and we'd talk about his life when he was born and he was telling me all kind of cool poo poo about what life was like in the 30s and 40s and all that and how he saw the whole world changing around him etc... It was really interesting stuff, too. He was like a farmer when he was young then he became a cop then a farmer again after like 10 years because he didn't like having to deal with criminals and found it too sad lol. His only living relative was his son who lived like 10 hours away and he saw him rarely and that was sad but on the other hand he was always so happy to see me and he gave me cookies and tea every time :3:

Mountain rescue sounds pretty awesome too, but a lot more likely to end up in a gruesome or depressing fashion. And it's not exactly the kind of volunteer work you're praying for to happen more lol

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I feel like I'm the only one here who isn't depressed. It really bums me out.

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010
im not in general, but WOW work sucks last week and for the next, gonna make a thread bout it

gagelion
Jun 13, 2013

by XyloJW
anyone who is depressed is a weak minded human being

Faux-Ass Nonsense
Feb 9, 2013

by Lowtax

gagelion posted:

anyone who is depressed is a weak minded human being

nope, but we all have an inner WMF.depression is having a weak mental immune system that succumbs to it more easily.some people have to live with that i guess but that's life :350:

e: i say 'human being' in the Louis CK sense, not homophobic.ive been living w/ 1-2 gay flatmates since I moved 2 years ago and the only change in my life has been more lou reed, better food & some Gay Arcana

Faux-Ass Nonsense fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Jun 15, 2014

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Ignoarints posted:

im not in general, but WOW work sucks last week and for the next, gonna make a thread bout it
if you work for blizzard then yeah I can see that would suck (this is a warcraft joke)

Iamblikhos
Jun 9, 2013

IRONKNUCKLE PERMA-BANNED! CHALLENGES LIBERALS TO 10-TOPIC POLITICAL DEBATE! READ HERE

Decebal posted:

what does lack of prejudice have to do with self-actualization?

ilikedirt
Oct 15, 2004

king of posting

haunted bong posted:

they read your posts

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Iamblikhos posted:

what does lack of prejudice have to do with self-actualization?
not prejudice as in racism but prejudice as in beliefs or judgements which prevent you from seeing the objective truth of things

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Decebal posted:

I'm already missing two from the base and it just gets worse from there. I'm on antidepressants tho and they're doing a good job of making me not supercidal

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

because between full-time work and full-time school i don't have the time to chase pussy like i used to

gagelion
Jun 13, 2013

by XyloJW

indigi posted:

I'm already missing two from the base and it just gets worse from there. I'm on antidepressants tho and they're doing a good job of making me not supercidal

let me guess, homeostasis and excretion?

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007

Zombie Boat posted:

It's because of Q

quoting from pg 2 of a good thrad

if you think about it life would be way less depressing if all our troubles were just orchestrated by a pandimensional trickster race who were just joshing with dumb humans cause the Q know that one day humans will totally own the galaxy and beyond........

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

drat you osmosis :argh:

rubbe
Jul 19, 2008

Decebal posted:

Only had two bricks for most of my life! sometimes only one. So i guess it makes sense.

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
Breathing, food, water, sex, sleep, homostasis, erection

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

naem
May 29, 2011

Heh, heh heheheh heh, homo

• Locked thread