Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax
obesity rates shot up about the same time as depression so the conclusion is to get off your fat asses and go lift something youll feel better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax

beatlegs posted:

because the only way to escape the reality that life is a joke is to willfully delude yourself into believing there's a purpose, effectively selling yourself out

that's why most people follow the script of education, career, marriage, family, retirement. it's a good way to distract yourself from the existential horror

but then at the end you find yourself helpless & trapped, at the mercy of nursing home workers. at which point you'll have plenty of time to ruminate on the fact that your whole life was spent deluding yourself

if you're lucky you'll die unexpectedly before all this happens

right because there's no sense of fulfillment or purpose in building a career in a way that you think matters to the rest of the world, sharing your life with someone and raising children and later on retire as grand-parents to enjoy the fruits of your life and see the results of your effort in the next generations

you're much better off just sitting on disability playing steam game 40 hours a day until you die of one of the many diseases that afflict people with morbid obesity good point

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax

Faux-rear end Nonsense posted:

because i have a weak and undisciplined mind, and happiness is something that you need to work for.

also unemployed

any tips/books/anecdotes on removing your inner human being?

1. Stop watching anime
2. Lift some heavy things until you are fit, then lift some more
3. Dress like an adult
4. Get a job
5. Get new hobbies that don't depend on the internet (video games don't count)

Basically, live your life like this unironically:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LB5YkmjalDg[

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax
It looks like you're already on the right path!

Since you are already fit and like to do sports, I would suggest that you join the idea of getting a social hobby with being fit. Try to find an adult league that practices a sport you've wanted to play, or never thought about playing, and try it! Out of it you'll get:

1. Developing new skills (and feeling good about becoming better at something concrete)
2. Get fitter (and who doesn't like that?)
3. Meet lots of new people

Like if you decide to start playing baseball or basketball or whatever it's pretty normal for most guys afterwards to go and drink a beer together, and if it's co-ed then you could possibly meet a girl who is active as well etc...

Keep working on the resume thing, hopefully it will pan out. I was going that, on the side, you complete various free courses or certifications but you already seem to be doing that, so that's great. As far as clothes, you seem to be dressing appropriately for someone your age (but you'll need some changes by the time you hit the big 3-0).

As far as creative/practical hobbies I'd say one option would be to try free classes of a poo poo ton of things. Usually any decent cities will have plenty of people offering you to try out hobbies or new skills or crafts for free once and then some kind of co-pay to keep using the place or whatever. Maybe you'll discover your really like building small boats inside of bottles or using tools and make your own desks or even repair old clocks to sell on Etsy to hipsters. Try a bunch of things, and eventually you'll find one that makes you go 'Hmmm, that's p nice let's stick with it'

Honestly I think you just need to do three things and you will find your mood go up 100%

1. Join a sports league
2. Find the motivation to get into a more creative and practical hobby by trying a bunch of them
3. Volunteer your time to a charity of your choice

You seem to have most of your life in check already, so I think something else that would really help you put things in perspective would be to give some of your free time. And well, if you are jobless you clearly have a lot of it. Go spend a few hours a week at a soup kitchen helping out, or go to a nursing home and spend time with old people who have no one, or volunteer for a charity that helps sick kids or something like that. Not only are you gonna feel good about the fact that what you did for those hours actually mattered to someone else and you did great things in the world, but will also put in perspective your own situation. After feeding the homeless or spending a few hours talking to some old man no one really cares about it's really hard to go out walking young and fit in the world and think 'woe is me'

Good luck you're almost there

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax
and yeah i came back about a week or so when the perma was overturned and reading that last wall of text i apparently forgot that E/N ain't GBS and vice-versa

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax

thx Twee, you seem like a good dude :cheers:

i should give uni another go in the next 2 years, im kind of in a dreary neck of the woods in terms of events & social stuff

Thanks!

And yeah uni is good to help when you feel like you've kind of reached a dead-end when it comes to events & social stuff. Still, there is no better way to forget about your problems than helping those who need much much more than you do.

Going to bed thinking that you've really made a difference in someone's life and brightened their days is a whole lot better than going to bed thinking 'When is my life going to get better? :smith: '

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax

yeah, i don't mind old folks.will look into listening to their stream-of-consciousness rambling

also maybe mountain rescue..

A lot of them can tell you really interesting stuff too. I used to read to this old man years who couldn't anymore ago once a week and we'd talk about his life when he was born and he was telling me all kind of cool poo poo about what life was like in the 30s and 40s and all that and how he saw the whole world changing around him etc... It was really interesting stuff, too. He was like a farmer when he was young then he became a cop then a farmer again after like 10 years because he didn't like having to deal with criminals and found it too sad lol. His only living relative was his son who lived like 10 hours away and he saw him rarely and that was sad but on the other hand he was always so happy to see me and he gave me cookies and tea every time :3:

Mountain rescue sounds pretty awesome too, but a lot more likely to end up in a gruesome or depressing fashion. And it's not exactly the kind of volunteer work you're praying for to happen more lol

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax

yeah while i get that exercise is massively beneficial in a bunch of ways, it's not necessarily gonna fix your head.everybody should do it anyway though because chances are it'll make some difference

Well I don't think anyone is saying that actual chemical brain imbalances (and not self-diagnosed ones) will be cured completely by working out, taking care of yourself and interacting with others in a social setting. However the fact is that the number of people who don't have healthy brain + depression versus those who have healthy brain with depression is so low that it's like saying exercise and eating less will make anyone lose fat because .05% of the population has a genuine genetic problem dealing with fat (which is not even something that forces them to be fat, at least more than a couple of pounds overweight)

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax

i get you man.it's just i 've just seen/experienced e/n crap that persists despite/alongside a fairly active/social lifestyle.
sadbrain could v easily interpret that in a stupid way so i guess it's good to set realistic expectations.
but then again itemising areas that need improvement is a pretty proactive way to manage this gay headthing

Well yeah but I imagine that your depression stems from unfulfilled desires that are pretty much at the core of human beings: find an occupation that fulfills you and being in a relationship. You can be as fit and as active socially as you want, as long as a man is not in a stable and healthy relationship with steady employment, he's never going to be really happy (and even then this also comes with its own sets of problem but 'depression' is usually not one of them). I mean I'm not saying that there are not other things about yourself or your situation that might contribute to depression, but those things on their own usually are not strong enough to actually send someone into depression.

Pretty much the only people who are fit, have a job and a healthy relationship who are actually living with depression* either have a chemical imbalance in their brains or really deep-rooted childhood poo poo that requires years of therapy

*not being sad or unsatisfied or unhappy, an actual clinically diagnosed depression

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax

The Mad Archivist posted:

let's hypothetically assume someone who is depressed and doesn't exercise often follows the advice of the YLLS depression bootstrappers ITT

> starts exercising to dispel depression
> sprains a tendon or some loving bullshit because body is not used to exercise and they're not well versed in the proper form for pretty much anything
> goes to the doctor, gets loads of medical bills and debt treating injury
> can't exercise, walk for weeks

thanks thraed, life is looking up :buddy:

How do you know someone is fat, has never exercised and probably never will? When they hear about exercising and their first thought is 'I'll sprain something and stay in bed for weeks on end!'

Just because you're shaped like an egg doesn't mean you'll break like one, fatty

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax

WEEDLORD CHEETO posted:

skipped to last page to mention that twee as gently caress once told me it would be impossible to stay depressed if i lost weight and bought new clothes and saw he was here already lmao

well, did you start hitting the gym for an hour at least three times a week for a long period of time while monitoring your caloric intake to make sure you lost weight, then bought a new wardrobe and got more active in social settings?

No? You just stayed home getting fatter and playing steam and you're laughing at how what I suggested wouldn't work? Oh ok

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax

WEEDLORD CHEETO posted:

*lifts a heavy thing*

unnnnf yes my overly high levels of brain monoamine oxidase A are disappearing with every lift. sweating out that chemical imbalance that causes excessive serotonin breakdown. its gone. im happy now

i'll repeat what I say every time and wrote even in that thread:

Twee as gently caress posted:

Pretty much the only people who are fit, have a job and a healthy relationship who are actually living with depression* either have a chemical imbalance in their brains or really deep-rooted childhood poo poo that requires years of therapy

I'm sorry that your brain is apparently fundamentally broken and gives you a serious chemical imbalance that can only be resolved with pills to make it work, but your experience is not the same as those who do not have chemical imbalances and therefore don't require the same kind of treatment

you can't bootstrap yourself out of your brain producing the wrong chemicals, or too little/too much. you can bootstrap yourself out of a general non-physiologically based one the majority of the time however

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax

WEEDLORD CHEETO posted:

oh okay that's fair, yeah gently caress people who're depressed because they're fat and lazy. they're culturally appropriating me

yeah they feel like poo poo because they are fat and lazy and do nothing all day, which gives them so little energy that they can't imagine ever doing something active because they believe in some dumb counter-intuitive bullshit 'If I sit at home all day and I'm tired, I can't go ahead and just spend whatever little energy I have on exercise, I'll have to be in bed all day otherwise!' or some similar bullshit. Just see the guy a few posts back saying that they are likely to hurt themselves and be unable to walk for weeks lol

which is terrible because physical activity doesn't just bootstrap you out of depression, it can actually prevent them from happening in the first place

so yeah if you're depressed, go to the gym 3 times a week, lose some weight and get swole then buy a new wardrobe and start interacting with more people and doing social poo poo is literally the answer to fight depression unless you've got chemical imbalance or something extremely traumatic* that happened to you in your youth or like a soldier with PTSD or something.

*gym teacher mocking you in front of everyone in 3rd grade doesn't count

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax

gagelion posted:

yea the problem is there are plenty of people with legit hosed up childhoods who get called lazy or spoiled or whatever then when you tell people you have ptsd or something some sociopath mocks you "wahh daddy was mean to meeeeee" (may only apply to america)

the problem is that the goalposts have moved from 'daddy molested/beat the poo poo out of me for years' or 'my single mother was a crackwhore and I had to get her to the hospital after she od'ed like 3 times by the time I was 12' to 'They said mean things to me and won't let me go to comic con gently caress YOU DAD YOU FASCIST' or 'My father is a republican'

there are legit childhood issues that can gently caress your life over, but the current crop of 20 something complaining about their childhood are usually just weak children who :qq: about absolute bullshit and need to toughen the gently caress up (i usually blame parents + society for coddling them too much tbf)

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax

oh no she has a fantastic life and she's happy what a horrible bitch

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax

Bobby Deluxe posted:

you do realise though that when you tell depressed people they need to motivate themselves that this is like the main thing they cannot do right

And you do realize that the only way one can get out of a depression that is not induced by chemicals loving up their brains or traumatic childhood events like molestation is basically kicking your own rear end out of it and taking those steps to get out of depression?

That's like saying that it's impossible for drug addicts or alcoholics to ever stop on their own, just too hard

Yeah some people need rehab, but a fuckton more just kick it on their own or with help of some friends

so go lift some heavy things and start smiling

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax
why did elisha cuthbert get a boob job and start hanging out with skeleton bikers

• Locked thread