Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Faux-Ass Nonsense
Feb 9, 2013

by Lowtax
because i have a weak and undisciplined mind, and happiness is something that you need to work for.

also unemployed

any tips/books/anecdotes on removing your inner human being?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Faux-Ass Nonsense
Feb 9, 2013

by Lowtax

Twee as gently caress posted:

1. Stop watching anime
2. Lift some heavy things until you are fit, then lift some more
3. Dress like an adult
4. Get a job
5. Get new hobbies that don't depend on the internet (video games don't count)

Basically, live your life like this unironically:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LB5YkmjalDg[

1. I don't.
2. I do, plus I skate, hike & cycle.
3. Not sure about this one. Usually dark-wash jeans, solid colour slim fit tshirt & skate shoes.
4. I distribute ~30 resumes a week. Doing various certifications too.
5. My gaming is around 6 hours a week. Most of that is Tetris on the shitter.

the last point is a good one though, I need to find a good social hobby.go to open mic nights monthly, but i cant get the motivation/focus to get into something creative/practical like maybe carpentry or coding

it's what I mean about mental weakness.you just give up & never try anything new/challenging & it becomes pavlovian.avoidance, i think it's called

when'd you rereg anyway?seem like one of the more sensible people here :cawg:

Faux-Ass Nonsense
Feb 9, 2013

by Lowtax

Bobby Deluxe posted:

even if you just do like pushups and get some cheap dumb bells from argos, prison exercises it will improve your mood the same day

lol this is word for word what im doing

Faux-Ass Nonsense
Feb 9, 2013

by Lowtax
thx Twee, you seem like a good dude :cheers:

i should give uni another go in the next 2 years, im kind of in a dreary neck of the woods in terms of events & social stuff

Faux-Ass Nonsense
Feb 9, 2013

by Lowtax

Thanks!

And yeah uni is good to help when you feel like you've kind of reached a dead-end when it comes to events & social stuff. Still, there is no better way to forget about your problems than helping those who need much much more than you do.

Going to bed thinking that you've really made a difference in someone's life and brightened their days is a whole lot better than going to bed thinking 'When is my life going to get better? :smith: '

yeah, i don't mind old folks.will look into listening to their stream-of-consciousness rambling

also maybe mountain rescue..

Faux-Ass Nonsense
Feb 9, 2013

by Lowtax

gagelion posted:

anyone who is depressed is a weak minded human being

nope, but we all have an inner WMF.depression is having a weak mental immune system that succumbs to it more easily.some people have to live with that i guess but that's life :350:

e: i say 'human being' in the Louis CK sense, not homophobic.ive been living w/ 1-2 gay flatmates since I moved 2 years ago and the only change in my life has been more lou reed, better food & some Gay Arcana

Faux-Ass Nonsense fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Jun 15, 2014

Faux-Ass Nonsense
Feb 9, 2013

by Lowtax
yeah while i get that exercise is massively beneficial in a bunch of ways, it's not necessarily gonna fix your head.everybody should do it anyway though because chances are it'll make some difference

Faux-Ass Nonsense
Feb 9, 2013

by Lowtax

Well I don't think anyone is saying that actual chemical brain imbalances (and not self-diagnosed ones) will be cured completely by working out, taking care of yourself and interacting with others in a social setting. However the fact is that the number of people who don't have healthy brain + depression versus those who have healthy brain with depression is so low that it's like saying exercise and eating less will make anyone lose fat because .05% of the population has a genuine genetic problem dealing with fat (which is not even something that forces them to be fat, at least more than a couple of pounds overweight)

i get you man.it's just i 've just seen/experienced e/n crap that persists despite/alongside a fairly active/social lifestyle.
sadbrain could v easily interpret that in a stupid way so i guess it's good to set realistic expectations.
but then again itemising areas that need improvement is a pretty proactive way to manage this gay headthing

Faux-Ass Nonsense
Feb 9, 2013

by Lowtax
tbh a relationship's not a priority atm.kinda want to try sleeping around since i spent those years either in crappy ones or just moping around.

don't think there's one concrete way of living with this stuff though.like there's people i know who have poo poo from being bullied for no good reason and the ball-busting approach probably wouldn't be as useful for them as it is for me or many goons i suspect

Faux-Ass Nonsense
Feb 9, 2013

by Lowtax

stuntwaffle posted:

lmao chemical imbalance theories of depression are bullshit spouted by doctors to push SSRIs on people

stop taking chemical cocktails and smoke some weed, lift a thing, and get laid

if that doesn't work then you probably are smart enough to realize life is painful and absurd and no amount of distraction or drugs can change this conclusion so good luck spending the rest of your life debating on whether or not to bite a bullet until you find yourself alone in a nursing home regretting all those years you spent analyzing your life as a sad sack instead of oh too late now you're dead and yhour life wasn't really important enough to warrant all that worrying anyway inthe grand scheme of things

great thread, now i'm depressed

nah ssris are good poo poo.went off them for like 2 months, then back on and the difference is night & day.poo poo feels like a low-key but still functional mdma buzz.dampens that part of your mind that's inclined to throw in the towel & sleep/stare at a wall for yet another day.

i will say however that coming off them is a unique brand of horrible, though.don't like being so reliant on the loving things.

true about weed & exercise though.combine Meds, weed & lifting for good times (stay hydrated though).meds give you energy & motivation, weed somehow makes it easier to nail good form & gives you the patience to do lots of reps without getting bored & the lifting releases endorphins into the chemical cocktail.really good way to get a deep workout, esp with suitable music

Faux-Ass Nonsense
Feb 9, 2013

by Lowtax
yikes double post

e:i'm gay.so so very gay

Faux-Ass Nonsense fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Jun 20, 2014

Faux-Ass Nonsense
Feb 9, 2013

by Lowtax

Bobby Deluxe posted:

you do realise though that when you tell depressed people they need to motivate themselves that this is like the main thing they cannot do right

giving them constructive ways to develop motivation/strength of character is good though.sometimes people just don't learn that for whatever reason, and it's nice to help & be helped :gizz:

Faux-Ass Nonsense
Feb 9, 2013

by Lowtax
don't know about where you are, but construction here has p much collapsed.id love to work in that, know guys who were pulling in around 2k a week as skilled labourers for what's pretty chill work once you get into the rhythm of it

Faux-Ass Nonsense
Feb 9, 2013

by Lowtax

Bobby Deluxe posted:

that's kind of the point

so what, start building random things or emigrate to somewhere where stuff needs to be built?

Faux-Ass Nonsense
Feb 9, 2013

by Lowtax

Disco Pope posted:

This is what Minecraft is for. I've never seen anyone play Minecraft for hours on end and get depressed!

got a new phone (Sony Xperia e1) & it runs survivalcraft perfectly so ive been playing a bit of that but i keep getting eaten by lions

Faux-Ass Nonsense
Feb 9, 2013

by Lowtax

WEEDLORD CHEETO posted:

my girlfriend thinks im really good in bed now that im on meds because i take longer to cum lmao. works for me, i still enjoy doing the thing. hope it doesn't get worse though.

yes thats a double-edged sword.oddly enough w33d had the same effect on me sometimes.but endless weedfucking feels real good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Faux-Ass Nonsense
Feb 9, 2013

by Lowtax

Benedick Cuckold posted:

i'm cool with being ruled by jews, personally

same.they seem to be pretty a pretty competent & hardworking people.run a tight ship.
tbh if there really was an international zionist cabal running the show i bet things wouldn't be as hosed up as they are

• Locked thread