Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

regulargonzalez posted:

As an aside, one unresolved mystery from the show -- who sent the assassin to kill Bran -- was answered in the books during the events of this episode. For various reasons I won't get into, it seems unlikely that the show will address this issue going forward.

If you want to know the answer to this, knowing that the show will in all likelihood never address the subject again, PM me. The only other thing I'll say about it here is that the answer has no real bearing on any events going forward so you won't be spoiling yourself with regards to future events on the show.

Didn't the show already kind of answer this? I thought the dagger once belonged to Littlefinger, and he claimed he lost it in a bet to Tyrion (thus setting off all the crap in the show) and now that we know Littlefinger was also behind the death of Robert Arryn, he's probably behind the attempted assassination of Bran too. It makes the most sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

I wanna know why Melisandre was giving Jon Snow gently caress-me eyes. I thought she only likes king cock. Jon Snuh doesnt have kings blood right?

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Macrame_God posted:

-Totally didn't see Stannis invading the North beyond the Wall (kind of strange place to start your hostile takeover of the South, but oh well). I'm a little worried about Melisandre getting too close to Jon given her affinity to king's blood, but it's still nice to see Stannis' story going somewhere for a change.

If Stannis has even a quarter of a brain, he'll convince Mance Rayner to fight for his banners and let his people in. I think they're both reasonable enough - Mance has said over and over he doesn't want to conquer, just get the gently caress out of zombie land - that it's really a win-win for him.

Basically "I let you in the gates to fight for me, I'll give you lands for your people to live without being eaten by zombies." Boom, add tens of thousands of remaining men to Stannis's army that would now include giants and waargs.

I will be absolutely shocked if this isn't even at least considered next season.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

monster on a stick posted:

Didn't the show already kind of answer this? I thought the dagger once belonged to Littlefinger, and he claimed he lost it in a bet to Tyrion (thus setting off all the crap in the show) and now that we know Littlefinger was also behind the death of Robert Arryn, he's probably behind the attempted assassination of Bran too. It makes the most sense.

To address this as generally as possible:

1) List the times in the show where Littlefinger tells the truth vs. the times he says something to manipulate someone

2) Tyrion says something along the lines of "That's ridiculous -- believe of me what you will, but I never bet against my family" (the bet Littlefinger mentioned was that he, Littlefinger, bet on Jaime in a tourney and Tyrion bet against Jaime).

On the forum I won't address directly whether Littlefinger was ultimately behind it or not, but his ostensible story doesn't hold up imo.

Frustrated
Jun 12, 2003

Blazing Ownager posted:

If Stannis has even a quarter of a brain, he'll convince Mance Rayner to fight for his banners and let his people in. I think they're both reasonable enough - Mance has said over and over he doesn't want to conquer, just get the gently caress out of zombie land - that it's really a win-win for him.

Basically "I let you in the gates to fight for me, I'll give you lands for your people to live without being eaten by zombies." Boom, add tens of thousands of remaining men to Stannis's army that would now include giants and waargs.

I will be absolutely shocked if this isn't even at least considered next season.

At the very least he can leave them to guard his back against the zombie hordes, since there are like 50 men left in the nights watch at this point, while he heads south to gently caress up whats left of the Lannisters.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

No More Heroes posted:

I wanna know why Melisandre was giving Jon Snow gently caress-me eyes. I thought she only likes king cock. Jon Snuh doesnt have kings blood right?

She's probably having some kind of vision, there was a whole bunch of fire between them after all.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

RIP the Hound you lovable loving poo poo

His brother is apparently being brought back like Frankenstein right now, so I wouldn't be half surprised to see him still alive somehow.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

the posted:

Dany's storyline is the most boring thing in the show. She's unsufferably mediocre, and of all the people in the show I hope she dies the soonest, but I feel like GRRM is keeping her alive for the long haul.

Dany's not going to die until her plot affects something in Westeros besides someone over there talking about her once every season or so. It's the same thing with Bran until he gets south again, and probably Arya and Sansa. Stannis I thought that for before too but him now being up North has me wondering.

But, yeah. Dany's immortal until she goes to burn down Westeros, because the show would not spend so much time on her if her impact on things is going to be effectively nothing.

Anyway, man. After episode eight and, well, that, the last two episodes surprisingly didn't have any deaths that hit me hard. Ygritte, well, even if she loved Jon she was kind of a crazy murderer, and compared to Jon or Sam I was okay with her being the one to bite it. Jojen, yeah, that sucked, but it was almost a given that he'd die getting Bran where he needed to go and really we're lucky Meera, Hodor, or Summer didn't die as well. The Hound, similar situation to both of the previous ones; really entertaining to watch, but kind of a dick and also he's the guardian of one of the probably-not-gonna-die Starks, he was on a deadline. And Tywin, after how much his blindness towards his family has been an issue for him there was no way he wasn't dying to one of his kids. (Also I saw the spoiler so, yeah.) After crushing Oberyn the show managed to avoid hitting any of my remaining favorites.

Also, it's hilarious how, when negotiating with Mance, Jon tries to keep up his facade of there being a ton of Watchmen left, then when Stannis comes marching in and he's accused of being behind it he immediately says that Mance was right and they don't have any men left. Sure, he'll lie, but Jon would never do anything as dishonest as plotting an ambush.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Jun 16, 2014

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

regulargonzalez posted:

To address this as generally as possible:

1) List the times in the show where Littlefinger tells the truth vs. the times he says something to manipulate someone

2) Tyrion says something along the lines of "That's ridiculous -- believe of me what you will, but I never bet against my family" (the bet Littlefinger mentioned was that he, Littlefinger, bet on Jaime in a tourney and Tyrion bet against Jaime).

On the forum I won't address directly whether Littlefinger was ultimately behind it or not, but his ostensible story doesn't hold up imo.

Why not say what happened? You already spoiled that it affects absolutely nothing.

snucks
Nov 3, 2008

Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

No More Heroes posted:

More evidence for the Jon Targaryen theory. The Baratheons claim Targaryen ancestry, and as we've seen with Dany their bloodline is capable of fire-related magic. Jon probably has much more potent magicblood than any Baratheon.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

regulargonzalez posted:

As an aside, one unresolved mystery from the show -- who sent the assassin to kill Bran -- was answered in the books during the events of this episode. For various reasons I won't get into, it seems unlikely that the show will address this issue going forward.

If you want to know the answer to this, knowing that the show will in all likelihood never address the subject again, PM me. The only other thing I'll say about it here is that the answer has no real bearing on any events going forward so you won't be spoiling yourself with regards to future events on the show.
I believe Bran might be able to find out the answer himself eventually, don't give up on it yet.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Oh poo poo! I think I just figured something out.

One of Dany's dragons: Books it north. Guy tells Bran: You will fly.

drat, that seems obvious now that I am thinking about it.

the posted:

Can we have some brief "things that have already happened" book chat?

I talked with my wife about the death of the Hound, and she said it didn't happen that way in the book. Apparently he dies from the infection. I'm wondering why the writers decided to change it. And more importantly, why would they included the infection at all in the series if it was going to have absolutely no impact on his death? It doesn't seem to make sense to write it in a few episodes and then discard it for a totally different ending.

I'd laugh if they pull a fast one and the Hound pops back up midway through the next season alive and well.

As cool as the fight with, lovely to die over a misunderstanding.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Roland Jones posted:

Also, it's hilarious how, when negotiating with Mance, Jon tries to keep up his facade of there being a ton of Watchmen left, then when Stannis comes marching in and he's accused of being behind it he immediately says that Mance was right and they don't have any men left. Sure, he'll lie, but Jon would never do anything as dishonest as plotting an ambush.

I think it was more "I'm unarmed in the middle of their camp. They're going to kill the gently caress out of me right now if they think I organized an ambush."

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Roland Jones posted:

Also, it's hilarious how, when negotiating with Mance, Jon tries to keep up his facade of there being a ton of Watchmen left, then when Stannis comes marching in and he's accused of being behind it he immediately says that Mance was right and they don't have any men left. Sure, he'll lie, but Jon would never do anything as dishonest as plotting an ambush

I wonder how all them horsemen got around the wall? They must've went through the tunnel after Jon left Castle Black.

But then again, how the gently caress did Stannis move an army north without encountering Roose Bolton who's marching on Winterfell :psyduck:

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Blazing Ownager posted:

I'd laugh if they pull a fast one and the Hound pops back up midway through the next season alive and well.

Pycelle got mad after Cersei dismissed him. He was going on a stroll near the Vale and was hiding behind the Hound's rock.
He's a spry old man.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

xerxus posted:

Pycelle got mad after Cersei dismissed him. He was going on a stroll near the Vale and was hiding behind the Hound's rock.
He's a spry old man.

I was thinking more along the lines of some merchants catching sight of him and maybe hauling him off to a doctor or something. It's really not wishful thinking as much as it is "I suppose he could pull through it, if the Mountain can survive THAT."

Also I did like how the earlier scene with the Hound robbing the farmers paid off here. She listened to his advice: "They're going to die, you know they're going to die, so don't feel bad taking money from dead men." She literally did what he taught her.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

No More Heroes posted:

I wonder how all them horsemen got around the wall? They must've went through the tunnel after Jon left Castle Black.

But then again, how the gently caress did Stannis move an army north without encountering Roose Bolton who's marching on Winterfell :psyduck:

I think they addressed that, or I may be misremembering. Anyhow, they sailed around the eastern edge, and moved west along the northern side of the Wall. They never set foot in the regular North south of it.

edit: Or rather, landed at Eastwatch-by-the-Sea, the easternmost Nights Watch base, and passed through the wall through the gate there.

pigdog fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Jun 16, 2014

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

PlushCow posted:

Those skeletons looked pretty good to me! :black101:

I would love to know how much this episode cost with all the CG work, compared to other episodes.

Easily the best live action scene involving animated skeletons I've ever seen, effects wise. Usually they come off looking total Army of Darkness.

Though the way the one was stabbing him with one hand over and over all hilarious looking, I really do kind of want to dub the deadite rambling voices over them.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

No More Heroes posted:

The Night's Watch has a coastal base at the east end of the Wall

Lycus fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Jun 16, 2014

jsun
Jun 23, 2004

I've brought you some cake and wine

No More Heroes posted:

Guys if the underground tree wizard and his little elfling are the good guys then why is his cave full of human bones?

tree wizard is the Yellow King and Bran is in Carcosa now.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

No More Heroes posted:

KING IN THE NORTH!

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

Blazing Ownager posted:

Oh poo poo! I think I just figured something out.

One of Dany's dragons: Books it north. Guy tells Bran: You will fly.

drat, that seems obvious now that I am thinking about it.

I thought of that immediately. Bran's vision of a dragon flying over King's Landing seems to make more sense now. He's destined to gently caress their poo poo up! :black101:

Next season: How to Train Bran's Dragon

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?

Lycus posted:

The Night's Watch has a coastal base at the east end of the Wall

Stannis could have been like "here to help and I got thousands of dudes." With how desperate they are, I don't think the Night's Watch would try to stop him from getting to the crazy side of the wall with an army.

snucks
Nov 3, 2008

Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

Blazing Ownager posted:

Less misunderstanding and more mistrust. The Hound died because he was incapable of believing in the decency and honor of other people. He had good reasons to not believe in the decency and honor of other people. :smith:

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Macrame_God posted:

My thoughts exactly. At least he got to die somewhere beautiful. Those mountains were gorgeous. This show goes to such amazing places.

Out of curiosity, anybody know if that bit was filmed in Croatia or Northern Ireland?

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

snucks posted:

Less misunderstanding and more mistrust. The Hound died because he was incapable of believing in the decency and honor of other people. He had good reasons to not believe in the decency and honor of other people. :smith:

He had some badass lines there though. "Safety! Where the fucks that!?"

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012
I want to know if Tywin was telling the truth when he told Tyrion that he wasn't going to get executed. I know Tywin got caught with his pants down but he seems way too proud to resort to lying his way out of getting murdered by his imp child.

VBane
Oct 31, 2011
I hear people complaining about lines missing from Tyrions scenes, but honestly I feel that any quipping or too many lines would have killed the gravity of the scene and emptiness of his revenge.

Trip Larsen
Oct 4, 2006

My great-grandfather started Larsen Pork Products with little more than three pigs and a killing hammer. Today, I'm proud to say, we kill more pigs than pig hepatitis.
I haven't read the books, (but I've been spoiled on many plot points thanks to the Internet), but I really liked and was both disappointed in this finale. Everything dealing with Tyrion and the Lannisters was fantastic. I was kind of expecting a major plot twist that didn't happen, but that's okay. The Hound dying like a bitch ,(but not really because Brienne is an extremely capable fighter) while Arya refuses to help is extremely cathartic, but also sad because The Hound was an awesome character who I would've loved to see much more of him. I loved Stannis showing up beyond the Wall to rule the Wildlings. Stannis is the Rightful King. All hail Stannis. He is the One True King.

Trip Larsen fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Jun 16, 2014

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

VBane posted:

I hear people complaining about lines missing from Tyrions scenes, but honestly I feel that any quipping or too many lines would have killed the gravity of the scene and emptiness of his revenge.

The main thing book readers complain about w/r/t that isn't a quip, it is an important bit of dialogue that lends weight to Tyrion's motives and adds a lot of characterization.

As always, won't talk specifics here but anyone is welcome to PM me. It doesn't spoil anything going forward, it's just a great bit of character motivation and development that is unfortunate not to be included in the show.

ProfessorGroove
Jun 10, 2006

by Ion Helmet

Blazing Ownager posted:

I was thinking more along the lines of some merchants catching sight of him and maybe hauling him off to a doctor or something. It's really not wishful thinking as much as it is "I suppose he could pull through it, if the Mountain can survive THAT."

Syrio was looking for Arya too and found the hound. They will go on to have many crazy adventures which are never shown or mentioned at all.

Woden
May 6, 2006
Stannis coming to save the day after the battle was already won is just a retread of what happened at Kings Landing. When I saw those dudes coming to beat down Mance I was hoping it was White Walkers at first, then when they were clearly humans that it'd be some power struggle within the Wildlings but nope. Deus Ex Stannis.

Seph
Jul 12, 2004

Please look at this photo every time you support or defend war crimes. Thank you.

Chantilly Say posted:

Out of curiosity, anybody know if that bit was filmed in Croatia or Northern Ireland?

That was definitely Ireland.

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

Woden posted:

Stannis coming to save the day after the battle was already won is just a retread of what happened at Kings Landing. When I saw those dudes coming to beat down Mance I was hoping it was White Walkers at first, then when they were clearly humans that it'd be some power struggle within the Wildlings but nope. Deus Ex Stannis.

They won the battle on the first day. Then they would have been subsequently crushed. Why do you think Jon was even there?

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."

Blazing Ownager posted:

I just want it to happen so I can watch all the book readers throw an enormous fit

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Tywin died because of his only flaw, the inability to take his son seriously. That's some nice drama right there.

Neowyrm
Dec 23, 2011

It's not like I pack a lunch box full of missiles when I go to work!
We didn't see the body

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

hiddenmovement posted:

I just want it to happen so I can watch all the book readers throw an enormous fit

They won't unless it's about the details or something. There was already a lot of wishful thinking/what-ifs surrounding the Hound's death in the books.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I'm not sure why a foreshadowed Stannis arrival is a deus ex machina, but a sudden White Walker attack wouldn't be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

victorious
Jul 2, 2007

As a youth I prayed, "Give me chastity and continence, but not yet."

Macrame_God posted:

Seriously, I hope those dragons are okay. :ohdear:

My first thought was that those shackles around their necks looked pretty tight if they still have some growing to do.

Also with the old guy who came to see Dany, before we saw his face I was hoping it was Jorah putting on a false accent and wearing a silly disguise.

victorious fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Jun 16, 2014

• Locked thread