Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

Zaphod42 posted:

:shobon: I've played more TFTD than UFO.

I played TFTD first. On the Playstation. Without a mouse :unsmigghh:

In fact I'm suffering through TFTD right now (TFTD Extender helps a little), holding out for OpenXcom 2. EU is so repetitive, and the maps are so small. I can take some underwater silliness and an antiquated UI in exchange for a much more atmospheric game

Zaphod42 posted:

I thought the underwater setting was totally spooky

It's the soundtrack :ssh: I actually hum it while I play EU :shobon:, it's the X-COM soundtrack to me

Zaphod42 posted:

I do play both and like both.

You have to admit that EU's UFOpaedia is actually useful. It tells you about the aliens' weaknesses, exactly what to research next to proceed to the next stage, etc. TFTD's is incomplete, contradictory and overly poetical. What even is the deal with the Synomium devices? what happens if I destroy all twelve? I still don't know, actually How am I supposed to know that Lobstermen are vulnerable to stunning based on the UFOpaedia alone? What is the deal with Tasoths and the amount of plain wrong poo poo in the reports on them? Why is the Deep One holding a PWT launcher? Coming from TFTD, I was shocked at how, uh, easy and linear EU was. Speaking of "linear", let's not even get into TFTD's inexplicable research tree

You also have to admit that the "underwater only" equipment restrictions are pretty stupid and sometimes illogical. So USOs and Bio Drones and their reverse-engineered equivalents can fly outside of water with ION engines, why can't Magnetic ION Armour?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

hackbunny posted:

It's the soundtrack :ssh: I actually hum it while I play EU :shobon:, it's the X-COM soundtrack to me

That soundtrack really is quite terrific for its time.

You can get the remastered music files [however they define remastered] here:

http://www.strategycore.co.uk/files/tftd-remastered/

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

They all go WAY too fast to invoke the originals' inexorable atmosphere.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

THE BAR posted:

They all go WAY too fast to invoke the originals' inexorable atmosphere.

I'm kinda wondering if your audio player is hosed, 'cause they're the same speed they've always been as best I can tell. I could be wrong though.

Unless you mean "original" as in Enemy Unknown?

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

armoredgorilla posted:

I'm kinda wondering if your audio player is hosed, 'cause they're the same speed they've always been as best I can tell. I could be wrong though.

Unless you mean "original" as in Enemy Unknown?

I mean original as in the MIDI files for TFTD, but it's the way every instrument sounds the same in their version, that it sounds (to me) like it's sped up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Im6a7v7QgSs

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

THE BAR posted:

I mean original as in the MIDI files for TFTD, but it's the way every instrument sounds the same in their version, that it sounds (to me) like it's sped up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Im6a7v7QgSs

Huh. You know what, I guess you're right, the new ones do sound a slight bit sped up compared to the midis.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

armoredgorilla posted:

That soundtrack really is quite terrific for its time.

You can get the remastered music files [however they define remastered] here:

http://www.strategycore.co.uk/files/tftd-remastered/

Well, I grew up with the PSX version. It was a pain in every conceivable way (a single savegame per memory card, long load times, I had to borrow a mouse but more often than not I played with the pad, etc.), but the remastered soundtrack and CD-quality ambient sounds were so much better than the PC version. I think TFTD Extender supports the PSX music, I should look into it

hackbunny fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Jul 9, 2014

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

hackbunny posted:

You also have to admit that the "underwater only" equipment restrictions are pretty stupid and sometimes illogical. So USOs and Bio Drones and their reverse-engineered equivalents can fly outside of water with ION engines, why can't Magnetic ION Armour?

Last time I tried to play, I had two main squads - one for undersea ops and one for ground ones. I actually did better than usual, until my land team got torn to shreds by lobstermen.

Does the TFTD Extender do anything to rebalance the difficulty, or is it simply about getting the game running without DOSBox?

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Does the TFTD Extender do anything to rebalance the difficulty, or is it simply about getting the game running without DOSBox?

It fixes a ton of bugs and adds a few improvements/commonly used mods, think of it as an OpenXcom "prequel". Off the top of my head:
  • running the game in a window instead of full-screen
  • auto-selling manufactured items
  • interceptors won't try to engage alien subs when they go airborne or too deep
  • Deep One is now actually armed (a Heavy Gauss sprite is used), and they shoot in a straight line instead of an arc
  • Bio Drone no longer leaves burn marks, and its close range attack actually works
  • research tree fixed, will no longer result in dead-end games
  • optional research tree improvements, like researching a Vibro Blade from your stores directly, without needing a Calcinite corpse
  • multiple sonar facilities actually improve detection rates
  • more variety in underwater missions (e.g. you'll see the sunken ancient temple and underwater research facilities way more often)

Still has some of the most infuriating bugs of the original, like the incredibly inefficient interception trajectories or how you can overfill your stores without realizing it

e: and of course it supports MP3 and PSX soundtracks

hackbunny fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Jul 9, 2014

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY
As someone who can't code in C (Although I'm good with scripting), can't do graphics and can't translate into other languages, is there anyway I can contribute to openxcom 2.0? Its an awesome project and I'd love to take part in this, as X-com UFO/TFTD was some of my favourite childhood games

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

hackbunny posted:

It fixes a ton of bugs and adds a few improvements/commonly used mods, think of it as an OpenXcom "prequel". Off the top of my head:

Holy poo poo, I never checked to see if there was a TFTD Extender by now - I used to fill my XCom jones with UFO Extender and kept wishing for a TFTD version.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

gradenko_2000 posted:

Holy poo poo, I never checked to see if there was a TFTD Extender by now - I used to fill my XCom jones with UFO Extender and kept wishing for a TFTD version.

http://www.ufopaedia.org/index.php?title=TFTDextender

There's some USO fixes on strategycore.co.uk too that patch the Very Small and Small USOs being flip flopped as in game maps and that fixes the routing on the Very Small USO. The VSUSO has unconnected routes by default, so any aliens spawning inside it will never leave their places.

I think the battleship and supply ship side views in interception mode are flip flopped too? I don't believe TFTDExtender fixes either of those issues.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

armoredgorilla posted:

I think the battleship and supply ship side views in interception mode are flip flopped too? I don't believe TFTDExtender fixes either of those issues.

Huh, you're right. I could swear the interception images were fixed at least, but there's no mention of that in the wiki page

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

hackbunny posted:

Huh, you're right. I could swear the interception images were fixed at least, but there's no mention of that in the wiki page

I'm a layman with coding, but I'm guessing its because it's not a bug in the code itself, but in the files it pulls from? IE. the routing issue would be patched in mapview with the .RMP file and the interception view is just an image file flip-flop.

primaltrash fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Jul 9, 2014

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

gently caress, this hot rear end weather is not conductive to making pixelart, but I'm getting somewhere:

Now to do the Ufopaedia art. Sorta relaxing to work at the bigger resolutions, 32x40 is awfully restrictive.

Inventory/Ufopaedia stuff:

Hmm, maybe the three eyes should be a little more distinct.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

Oh wow, is that the actual resolution of UFOpaedia pages? I never realized how tiny they were. Reminds me of the time I made high-resolution icons for MAME games by cleaning up screenshots of their title screens. Most games had a lower resolution than the maximum Windows icon size (256x256) :v:

Pimpmust posted:

Hmm, maybe the three eyes should be a little more distinct.

Oooh, do the autopsy next! :neckbeard:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
This is pretty awesome and already way better than playing XcomUtil mods. Really loving the quality of life improvements to resolution, navigation, etc. And the added features are great.

Now I'm gonna play with installing mods until the game doesn't boot anymore, and then I may tinker with some modding of my own. Lots of possibilities here.

I always wanted an XCOM game with just like twice as many guns and aliens. I think that'll realistically happen now, there's already lots of great weapon mods on the openXcom website.

There's a mod which adds the Men In Black as a new enemy, which is really cool, but I want a mod that lets me dress up X-COM as the MIB, rather than fighting them. Should be pretty easy to copy his sprites, although there's probably some angles missing or something for player sprites... hmm.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

hackbunny posted:

Oh wow, is that the actual resolution of UFOpaedia pages? I never realized how tiny they were. Reminds me of the time I made high-resolution icons for MAME games by cleaning up screenshots of their title screens. Most games had a lower resolution than the maximum Windows icon size (256x256) :v:

Oooh, do the autopsy next! :neckbeard:

Ufopaedia is 150x150 for the actual models, that sprite is for the alien inventory screen and is about half that.

I'm only up to about take 5 for the actual ingame animation, getting those loving limbs to all fit right :shepicide:
(On the plus side it all works as far as gameplay is concerned)

Pimpmust fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Jul 10, 2014

Eastbound Spider
Jan 2, 2011

Replace chryssalids with yoshi, zombies with baby mario.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Replace aliens with X-Com troopers, have everyone play with terrestrial weapons and pretend its Jagged Alliance.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
That makes me want a reversal-mod.

You play head of the Alien defense committee on Mars, and the evil Human X-COM invaders are destroying your poo poo.
Defend Mars! Death to the Humans!

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
^^^^^^ You HAVE read Guavamoment's TFTD Let's Play, right?

Are there any tutorials on creating and implementing new terrain? Using the existing assets only, not creating new assets. I was able use Mapview to view the route maps, floorplans, etc, but couldn't work out how to change anything or create a new map.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

armoredgorilla posted:

^^^^^^ You HAVE read Guavamoment's TFTD Let's Play, right?

:allears: This is amazing. No, I hadn't, thankyou.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WziO005uM3g

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

I love how there's only 30 legit seconds of gameplay. Classic.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Gonna attempt my hand at an autopsy next, and then go back and orrect whatever errors that I can pick out.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

SupSuper, how do I participate to the development? Like, I've had a look at the issue tracker for features to implement, especially UI improvements, how do I know what's worth implementing? i.e. what actually has a chance of ending up in the next release

And how do I actually send you my changes to the code?

e: sent my first pull request :woop: Man, I had never used github before, now I get why everyone is so crazy about it

hackbunny fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jul 14, 2014

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

Pimpmust posted:

Gonna attempt my hand at an autopsy next, and then go back and orrect whatever errors that I can pick out.
Can't wait to see it finished. :)

hackbunny posted:

SupSuper, how do I participate to the development? Like, I've had a look at the issue tracker for features to implement, especially UI improvements, how do I know what's worth implementing? i.e. what actually has a chance of ending up in the next release

And how do I actually send you my changes to the code?
We're currently busy discussing what to do about all the insane feature requests, so I couldn't tell you if implementing them yourself would just make things better or worse for us. :v:

Trying to fix some bugs might be a better option. I noticed you're a Mac user, so maybe you can tackle the Mac issues that none of us can figure out:
http://openxcom.org/bugs/openxcom/issues/504
http://openxcom.org/forum/index.php?topic=2564.0

hackbunny posted:

e: sent my first pull request :woop: Man, I had never used github before, now I get why everyone is so crazy about it
A word of warning though, you've pull requested your "master" branch. Github doesn't magically take a snapshot of your code when you make a pull requests, it just references your branch. This means any changes you make to your "master" branch later will still be applied to the pull request. That always catches people off-guard.
Normally you'll want to make a separate branch for each PR so you can easily and specifically only put the stuff that you want on it.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

SupSuper posted:

We're currently busy discussing what to do about all the insane feature requests, so I couldn't tell you if implementing them yourself would just make things better or worse for us. :v:

Right now I'm biting my hands in anger because I had taken notes peeking above the shoulder of my girlfriend playing for the first time, and it was invaluable information, a total X-COM virgin's first impressions, but I lost them :( None of the existing issues on your tracker ring a bell, either: I guess us "veterans" are too used to the cranky old UI. Ah well, I'll find something else to do (like fix the stilted Italian translation...)

SupSuper posted:

Trying to fix some bugs might be a better option. I noticed you're a Mac user, so maybe you can tackle the Mac issues that none of us can figure out:

The first issue relates to a Retina display which I don't have (... unless I compile and run OpenXcom on my iPhone I guess? :v: Has anyone tried?). The second issue already comes with a fix, doesn't it?

SupSuper posted:

A word of warning though, you've pull requested your "master" branch. Github doesn't magically take a snapshot of your code when you make a pull requests, it just references your branch. This means any changes you make to your "master" branch later will still be applied to the pull request. That always catches people off-guard.

:cripes: Thanks for the heads up. Github honeymoon: over. Aaand I'm off to fix my other pull requests :v:

(is there a better place to keep in touch with you and the other developers than this thread?)

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

hackbunny posted:

(is there a better place to keep in touch with you and the other developers than this thread?)
You can come hang out with us in the forums or IRC if you prefer.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

anyone who needs the original files will be happy to know that: X-com, TFTD, Apocalypse and other games for 8.17$ (+new Xcom and BioShock Infinite for 20$)

are all available at humble bundle

https://www.humblebundle.com/

Apple2o
Mar 25, 2009

by Pragmatica

(and can't post for 9 years!)

Watching this LP makes me wish the new X-COM game had drop-in matchmaking ala some of the new total war games. So you are playing your campaign then when a mission comes up you can either play normally or find a human opponent to play the enemy team.

Lamprey Cannon
Jul 23, 2011

by exmarx

armoredgorilla posted:

http://www.ufopaedia.org/index.php?title=TFTDextender

There's some USO fixes on strategycore.co.uk too that patch the Very Small and Small USOs being flip flopped as in game maps and that fixes the routing on the Very Small USO. The VSUSO has unconnected routes by default, so any aliens spawning inside it will never leave their places.

I would certainly love to give this a shot, but my antivirus keeps yelling at me whenever I try to unzip it. This may be a false positive, as I've seen some folks in other forums claim, but I was hoping somebody here could verify it.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

Lamprey Cannon posted:

I would certainly love to give this a shot, but my antivirus keeps yelling at me whenever I try to unzip it. This may be a false positive, as I've seen some folks in other forums claim, but I was hoping somebody here could verify it.

It's a false positive, I've used it plenty of times.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Seconded, my AV didn't flag it at all. Just note that, while it's very cool, it's not quite OpenTFTD. Keep your expectations low and you shouldn't be too disappointed.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

Speaking of Opens, someone started an OpenApoc:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQGvXrLUW44

More details on the news post.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

SupSuper posted:

Speaking of Opens, someone started an OpenApoc:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQGvXrLUW44

More details on the news post.

If it can fix the problems of Apocalypse and mods could expand from the things cut from the game, I'm down with it.

Communist Zombie
Nov 1, 2011

Mr. Fortitude posted:

If it can fix the problems of Apocalypse and mods could expand from the things cut from the game, I'm down with it.

Can someone tell me what was cut from it, because the wiki page on 'unused game features' hsant been made at all. :(

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Communist Zombie posted:

Can someone tell me what was cut from it, because the wiki page on 'unused game features' hsant been made at all. :(

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X-COM:_Apocalypse#Mega-Primus

"Originally, the game was going to be much larger and be even more in-depth, with political intrigue helping to bring the city of Mega-Primus to life. An unimplemented weapon called the Tracker Gun could be fired at an unsuspecting enemy, attaching some kind of tracer onto his clothes. The person could then be trailed around the city by one or more X-COM agents. All of this political intrigue was cut down to the bare bones due to the following constraints."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

Pimpmust posted:

Looking great. Btw I never noticed before, are you this guy? http://openxcom.org/forum/index.php?topic=599.0

The community is wondering where you went, so feel free to post again when you get your new work going. :)

• Locked thread