Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

3 Stacked Midgets posted:

-The majority of UFOs you see can be shot down by regular interceptors with the default armaments. Almost everything can be shot down with upgraded interceptors.

Almost? I'm playing TFTD and I can shoot downsink absolutely anything with a single Barracuda (or three, for the odd Dreadnought) armed with twin sonics, with no losses (SupSuper, consider rebalancing craft combat in OpenTFTD, it shouldn't be so easily cheesable)

VVV Plasma CannonsSonic Oscillators come with a built-in EleriumZrbite power cell that never runs out of power: manufacturing them is a one-off expense of money, time, ammo and (especially) EleriumZrbite. There is, IIRC, a setting/mod to actually make them consume EleriumZrbite, because evidently someone else figured out they're a little bit overpowered considering their range, power and 100 shot magazine that replenishes for free

hackbunny fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Aug 19, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!
Every UFO, save for Battleships, can be brought down with multiple Interceptors equipped with avalanche missiles. That said, this gets very expensive very fast, since you not only need to pay for the missiles themselves, but also the leases on the jets. It's much more economical to rush research on the plasma rifle or heavy plasma, then get plasma beams.

Also, just now I lost a superhuman ironman game at the very final mission. One team spawned near a group of chryssalids, who pounced immediately once I had deployed them. The second spawned near their target, but ended up getting in a pincer attack from a group of ethereals and a sectopod. I didn't try using high explosives in the narrow hallway, because I wouldn't've been able to get clear of the blast and there were only two people left at that point. :shobon:

Does it still count as a victory if you blow up the alien brain, but vaporize your last soldiers in the process?

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Hedera Helix posted:

A lot of people prefer using auto shot to snap shot. These people are wrong! Auto shots have terrible accuracy and, if you're using non-laser weaponry, will eat up all of your ammunition. Only use auto shot when you're either right in the alien's face, if it's a 4x4 alien, if you're fighting late-game enemies with conventional or laser weapons, or if you're destroying cover. If you have a soldier that is missing shots regularly, consider making them a grenadier instead, or put them on scout duty.

The major thing about auto shot is that while the reported chance to hit is indeed quite bad, that 10% chance to hit applies to all of the bullets you shoot individually - which means if you're fighting weak Sectoids that you have actually a 27.1% chance of getting a hit in that burst (the chance that none of your shots hit is 90%^3 or 72.9% rather than 90%). Spending as much AP as possible on bursts gets you a 46.9% chance to hit at least once from the stated 10% (6 bullets at 10% CTH each), plus 30% AP for a snap if you want or moving around. Doing the same with a 10% snap accuracy would get you four shots, no extra AP and a 34.4% chance to hit at least once. You can compare in-game shot options accurately by taking the reported chance to hit, subtract it from 1 to get your reported chance to miss, then multiply by the total number of bullets you're sending downrange (snap does 1, auto does 3 per burst), then subtract from 1 again to get the chance that at least 1 bullet hits - when I last played, the auto shot was always accurate enough to outweigh the snap option. Your point about potential bullet wastage does stand, though - this is why before laser weapons I make sure my guys have at least 2 extra clips on hand.

Ignatius M. Meen fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Aug 19, 2014

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av
Range-based accuracy breaks auto fire :( It lowers the accuracy so much that auto fire is pretty much guaranteed to never hit

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

hackbunny posted:

Range-based accuracy breaks auto fire :( It lowers the accuracy so much that auto fire is pretty much guaranteed to never hit

Well that is pretty terrible and definitely not the way it used to be. Harrumph.

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

The major thing about auto shot is that while the reported chance to hit is indeed quite bad, that 10% chance to hit applies to all of the bullets you shoot individually - which means if you're fighting weak Sectoids that you have actually a 27.1% chance of getting a hit in that burst (the chance that none of your shots hit is 90%^3 or 72.9% rather than 90%). Spending as much AP as possible on bursts gets you a 46.9% chance to hit at least once from the stated 10% (6 bullets at 10% CTH each), plus 30% AP for a snap if you want or moving around. Doing the same with a 10% snap accuracy would get you four shots, no extra AP and a 34.4% chance to hit at least once. You can compare in-game shot options accurately by taking the reported chance to hit, subtract it from 1 to get your reported chance to miss, then multiply by the total number of bullets you're sending downrange (snap does 1, auto does 3 per burst), then subtract from 1 again to get the chance that at least 1 bullet hits - when I last played, the auto shot was always accurate enough to outweigh the snap option. Your point about potential bullet wastage does stand, though - this is why before laser weapons I make sure my guys have at least 2 extra clips on hand.

The accuracy formula doesn't appear to work off of percent chances directly, but rather, the percent chances represent how wide of a cone one's shots will fall into. I will say that, anecdotally, I've had better results with auto shots using higher-accuracy weapons like the plasma rifle or the laser rifle, as opposed to something like the laser pistol, which is pretty inaccurate even when using snap shots.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

hackbunny posted:

Almost? I'm playing TFTD and I can shoot downsink absolutely anything with a single Barracuda (or three, for the odd Dreadnought) armed with twin sonics, with no losses (SupSuper, consider rebalancing craft combat in OpenTFTD, it shouldn't be so easily cheesable)

VVV Plasma CannonsSonic Oscillators come with a built-in EleriumZrbite power cell that never runs out of power: manufacturing them is a one-off expense of money, time, ammo and (especially) EleriumZrbite. There is, IIRC, a setting/mod to actually make them consume EleriumZrbite, because evidently someone else figured out they're a little bit overpowered considering their range, power and 100 shot magazine that replenishes for free
It's the same in UFO. If you think they bothered to change something like game logic for TFTD, you got another thing coming. :v:

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

hackbunny posted:

So use aimed and/or snap-shots instead.

Auto-fire is still extremely effective when you run into an alien unexpectedly around a corner and HAVE to get that kill. It makes a lot of logical sense, and works fine.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

SupSuper posted:

It's the same in UFO. If you think they bothered to change something like game logic for TFTD, you got another thing coming. :v:

But they did nerf almost all other weapons, didn't they? It's weird that USOs are so easy to sink when anything else in the game hates you and wants you to fail

(believe me, I know TFTD is just a reskin :(. Every time I try to think how I'd "fix" it, I end up imagining pretty much a new game)

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Is there any way to open doors without stepping through them?

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

VisAbsoluta posted:

Is there any way to open doors without stepping through them?
Right-click them.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
http://openxcom.org/2014/08/bubbles/

:aaa:

I am so goddamn excited for this.

3 Stacked Midgets
Jul 29, 2004
Triple Threat
Which mods are good, and which mods are bad? There seem to be a lot of weapons mods that I'm not interested in at all, and I'm not sure if the new aliens do that much to make the game more compelling.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

Seconding the request, the mods don't look that great. The engine is a little limiting I guess

SupSuper, how's the developers' view on engine extensions? I'm thinking of new movement types (e.g. grapple guns, rappeling, crawling, etc.), new weapon types (e.g. heavy machine gun that you can fire from the hip or deploy on the ground first), or battlescape extensions like ladders, actual elevators, explosions with shockwaves and shrapnel, structural damage, vehicles, etc.

I guess the hardest part would be to teach the AI about the new features, and other balance issues

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
I'm still in love with the original game, so I'm not too into modding it, but here's some that might be cool:

http://www.openxcom.com/mod/lukes-extra-ufos

http://www.openxcom.com/mod/high-quality-sounds

http://www.openxcom.com/mod/lukes-expanded-terror-mission

http://www.openxcom.com/mod/item-levels

http://www.openxcom.com/mod/heavy-laser-rebalance

http://www.openxcom.com/mod/muton-commander

http://www.openxcom.com/mod/alien-inventory-mod

http://www.openxcom.com/mod/firestorm

http://www.openxcom.com/mod/power-suit-helm-off

http://www.openxcom.com/mod/ufo-v1-2-sound-effects-for-ufo-v1-4

http://www.openxcom.com/mod/soldier-diaries-stat-tracking

With the modding community being relatively new, the folks are doing some interesting work, but some mods have a LOT of scope creep. Trying to do too much in one mod. But there is some good poo poo out there.

And since I am an absurdly simple dude, here is my favorite mod:

http://www.openxcom.com/mod/laser-rifle-recolor

3 Stacked Midgets
Jul 29, 2004
Triple Threat

armoredgorilla posted:

I'm still in love with the original game, so I'm not too into modding it, but here's some that might be cool:

*list of mods*

Thanks! I'll probably check out the new map layouts first. Looks like there's also an alien base map pack:
http://www.openxcom.com/mod/expanded-ubase

My ironman superhuman save got corrupted, so the next time I do that I might just do it manually.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

3 Stacked Midgets posted:

Which mods are good, and which mods are bad? There seem to be a lot of weapons mods that I'm not interested in at all, and I'm not sure if the new aliens do that much to make the game more compelling.
I don't really keep up with the mod scene, but here's my recommended list if you just wanna complement vanilla:

- Power/Flying Suit without helmet - so your soldiers remain distinct.
- Alien Inventory Graphics - adds graphics for mind-controlled alien inventory.
- UFOCF Soundtrack - awesome new music
- New UFO floorplans - keep that first door opening unpredictable. They're custom-made so you don't get the same bugs as XcomUtil's random ones.
- New mission terrains - adds more variety and challenge.
- New alien base blocks - same.

- Grenade Launcher - turn throwing accuracy into firing accuracy
- Shotgun - because every game needs a shotgun
- Combat Knife - when you don't want to take them alive

hackbunny posted:

Seconding the request, the mods don't look that great. The engine is a little limiting I guess

SupSuper, how's the developers' view on engine extensions? I'm thinking of new movement types (e.g. grapple guns, rappeling, crawling, etc.), new weapon types (e.g. heavy machine gun that you can fire from the hip or deploy on the ground first), or battlescape extensions like ladders, actual elevators, explosions with shockwaves and shrapnel, structural damage, vehicles, etc.

I guess the hardest part would be to teach the AI about the new features, and other balance issues
If people wanna make their own OpenXcom forks/extensions/variations/etc they can. I don't think there's any way to cleanly support those in the main codebase though, most would require serious code rewrites.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

SupSuper posted:

If people wanna make their own OpenXcom forks/extensions/variations/etc they can.

Engine extensions like the things I have in mind would give modders new tools to work with without affecting vanilla. The reason I'd love to see them in the master branch is that you can't really install engine/game extensions as mods, they are entirely different games that may even end up growing their own mods (e.g.: Soldier Diaries)

SupSuper posted:

If people wanna make their own OpenXcom forks/extensions/variations/etc they can. I don't think there's any way to cleanly support those in the main codebase though, most would require serious code rewrites.

*cracks knuckles*

hackbunny fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Aug 26, 2014

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

SupSuper posted:

- Grenade Launcher - turn throwing accuracy into firing accuracy

Never unsee the fact that the stock of the launcher is actually a power armor suit's leg.

3 Stacked Midgets
Jul 29, 2004
Triple Threat
I'm liking the aggressive retaliation setting. It makes it so you have to man most of your bases, and also gives you a reason to use firestorms and avengers more. The only downside in terms of making the game harder is that it gives you a bunch of easy blaster launchers and other loot early on in the game.

Settings like this make the game more fun. Would also like to see things like dialing up and down the frequency and types of missions that aliens do.

Mandatory Assembly
May 25, 2008

it's time to get juche
Lipstick Apathy
SupSuper just posted this one the OpenXcom blog: http://openxcom.org/2014/09/nope-nope-nope-nope-nope/

SupSuper posted:

Headline: Nope nope nope nope nope
Article: I’m out

What happened dude?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
There was a newspost a day earlier called "Some questions for contributors" that got deleted. Something's going on.

EDIT: Dude was commiting to GitHub as recently as 21 hours ago. Whatever's happened, it's sudden.

The Kins fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Sep 21, 2014

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Oh no. :ohdear:

Theodyn
Oct 12, 2012

I like all kinds of alcohol. Except schnapps. Schnapps can go to hell.
And the Twitter account appears to have been deleted.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

Everything's fine. Even if I were to snap, Warboy's got my back. :v:

Moral here is don't incite holy wars:

0lives
Nov 1, 2012

SupSuper posted:

What am I looking at here? I'm real confused, what even happened?

mountainmanjed
Apr 2, 2013

0lives posted:

What am I looking at here? I'm real confused, what even happened?

He asked about updating some of the packages that OpenXcom uses. Which happens often with any open project and can often times start wars within the dev team. Stuff like this can happen with just updating the Open Source license as well.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

SupSuper posted:

If you want a non-religious answer: your codebase would greatly benefit from C++11 (reduces repetition in for-each loops and YAML deserialization; replace map with unordered_map for improved performance; etc.), but it's very hostile to switching to smart pointers right now - I know because I tried, and it absolutely can't be done in stages, it's all or nothing and requires some design work (what objects own what objects?)

Get TFTD done first

hackbunny fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Sep 22, 2014

Morton Salt Grrl
Sep 2, 2011

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
FRESH BLOOD

May their memory be a justification for genocide
Snakeman soldier has panicked!

Snakeman soldier has accurately thrown a grenade into your last four men, killing two!

Thanks, snakeman soldier.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Teddles posted:

Snakeman soldier has panicked!

Snakeman soldier has accurately thrown a grenade into your last four men, killing two!

Thanks, snakeman soldier.

:xcom:

My favourite panic is -- ok, my very favourite panic ever was "Ethereal Commander has panicked!" as my fireteams broke down the doors of the final level and assumed total psychic control of everything in it.

But my next favourite after that was a late-game battleship assault. Shortly after arriving, I got a few panic messages, but nothing seemed to come of it.

Then I breached the battleship and found out that the mid-deck was badly damaged and the top-deck was just gone, an empty shell with occasional pools of glowing slag that used to be walls.

Something on the bridge had panicked carrying a blaster launcher.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

More TFTD: http://openxcom.org/2014/10/particles/

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
Augh, I HATE to ask the question, but any idea when 2.0 is due out? I am desperate to scratch my TFTD itch, but I want to do it with OpenXCom.

drat good work you guys have done.

Even "Early 2016" would work, just so I know how long to freeze myself for.

primaltrash fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Oct 10, 2014

Literal Carehaver
Oct 20, 2014

by Cowcaster
holy gently caress OpenXcom has turned from 'a way to run xcom easily on a modern machine' into 'a way to run LITERALLY THE MOST PERFECT VERSION OF XCOM YOU CAN IMAGINE'

some of these mods are loving cool

e: you're doing TFTD!?!?\ gently caress gently caress ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!

Literal Carehaver posted:

holy gently caress OpenXcom has turned from 'a way to run xcom easily on a modern machine' into 'a way to run LITERALLY THE MOST PERFECT VERSION OF XCOM YOU CAN IMAGINE'

I get way too much enjoyment out of how much more like an arch' 90s comic the PSX Font mod makes the game look.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Literal Carehaver posted:

e: you're doing TFTD!?!?\ gently caress gently caress ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Best post/avatar combo in the thread.

TFTD is exciting, but a TFTD/UFO combination is what will really excite me.

Gaghskull
Dec 25, 2010

Bearforce1

Boys! Boys! Boys!
What mods are people using anyway? I've been using the mixed crews, luke's extra ufo's, more tilesets, MIB. Think that's all. Anything else that is really good enough to put into the game?

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

Gaghskull posted:

What mods are people using anyway? I've been using the mixed crews, luke's extra ufo's, more tilesets, MIB. Think that's all. Anything else that is really good enough to put into the game?

Scroll up.

A couple new ones that seem solid and without scope creep:

http://www.openxcom.com/mod/extra-explosions

http://www.openxcom.com/mod/alloy-ground-tanks

primaltrash fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Dec 2, 2014

Literal Carehaver
Oct 20, 2014

by Cowcaster
i'm replaying xcom for the billionth time but it feels very new because of all these fancy mods!

the shotgun/sniper rifle/auto pistols make the run up to laser weapons less boring. i try to put off going to laser/plasma too soon because it makes things too easy.

however by far the coolest mods are the fancy new maps. no more running around the same weird rear end grocery store on a terror mission! these new, unexplored maps make you feel completely PARANOID excited to be playing xcom with a fresh experience.

also urban camo uniforms with kevlar vests. xenos mad cuz they gettin styled on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal

hackbunny posted:

If you want a non-religious answer: your codebase would greatly benefit from C++11 (reduces repetition in for-each loops and YAML deserialization; replace map with unordered_map for improved performance; etc.), but it's very hostile to switching to smart pointers right now - I know because I tried, and it absolutely can't be done in stages, it's all or nothing and requires some design work (what objects own what objects?)

Get TFTD done first

Having used C++03 and then C++11 in production software - listen to this poster!

• Locked thread