Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Man oh man, just loving this remake. Started shortly after 1.0 came out. Playing with the interlaced curved CRT filter for maximum nostalgia.

I started burning out when most of my missions were landed battleships. I'd do one or two and then come back a couple of days later. It's late October 1999 now, my Avenger is half-finished, but I just discovered two alien bases I should assault to keep my score up.

Killed about 70 troops so far :suicide:

Two small bugs I've noticed... the TU reserve buttons sometimes glitch out and don't react as expected, nor do they behave as indicated. I THINK this happens when I alt-tab out and in, sometimes.

The other. Not sure if this is a bug or a fix, but an alien commander from a battleship is enough to get the final solution research. In the original, it specifically had to be a commander from a base. The wording on the UFOpedia seems to indicate the base commander is the intended behaviour.

pesty13480 posted:

Vaguely curious about something.

Is OpenXCom true to the original in terms of losing members of the council? I recall, in the original, that even if you were to wipe out every single ship sent on its way to subvert a nation, you would still lose that nation. It bothered me to no end that managing to beat off all that battleship armada would do nothing to save the day. I would still like to have nations leave me if I mess it all up, but I'm wondering if there's toggle or fix somewhere to prevent those countries from leaving if I succeed at stopping all the UFOs?
I feel like in the original I wouldn't lose council members if I truly did manage to wipe everyone out. I rarely ever did unless I was really loving up.

I definitely lost one in OpenXcom because I couldn't tag all the little loving one-seat infiltrators. Which is surprising too because it should be easier as I don't have to wait for interceptors to rearm and refuel, or even repair.

I'm just playing on beginner, and I feel like I'm dealing with a shitload more UFOs than I ever needed to on the original. That said, my score is astronomical, so maybe it's just dynamically punishing me. I'm in no danger of running out of elerium or cash at least.

teethgrinder fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Jul 5, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Jade Star posted:

If you see a bunch of battleships and a few other ships all at once on alien infiltration, like 4 or 5 ships at once, that is not the final wave of infiltration to ruin a country for you. That is the alien celebration fleet having a parade because they've already converted a country. Shooting them all down won't stop a nation from pulling out. By the time you see those guys, it's already too late.
I thought that was more of a base being set up.

SupSuper posted:

That'll be v2.0.
And will v3.0 be the long-awaited X-COM fan wet-dream of a combined UFO & TFTD campaign?

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Finally got my Avenger built. I completely forgot some important research paths, so my play-through has turned out to be a little more honest.

Loving the small quality-of-life improvements. The lack of an 80 item limit sells the remake if nothing else.

I think my favourite improvement that overall makes the classic game so much more reasonable to play in modern times is simply how much more robust the path-finding is. Makes the micromanagement of troops substantially less tedious.

That said, vanilla equipping of troops was a complete deal-breaker before xcomutil and UFO Extender.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

WOOT! Finished it finally! Could have done the final mission in November, but waited to December to have a second month of Psi training done. Unfortunately I hosed up sorting my troops and still brought some mental-weaklings with me. Commander didn't survive the second assassination attempt.

Should have stats at the end :)

I don't remember how it was in the original, but it was kind of odd that my troops retained their spent TUs/energy between the two phases of the final mission.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

SupSuper posted:

Blaster launcher AI had to be specifically nerfed otherwise the aliens will just launch it into your Skyranger turn 1. Trust us, it's for your own good.
From what I observed, it appeared that aliens with blaster launchers were always put behind doors -- i.e. only spawn inside UFOs. Also thankfully I don't think they would intentionally suicide.

Something different, it felt like firing the blaster launcher was a bit of a crapshoot. I don't remember it ever missing in the original. Here your accuracy rating really seemed to impact whether it would float off-course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

hackbunny posted:

Range-based accuracy breaks auto fire :( It lowers the accuracy so much that auto fire is pretty much guaranteed to never hit
So use aimed and/or snap-shots instead.

Auto-fire is still extremely effective when you run into an alien unexpectedly around a corner and HAVE to get that kill. It makes a lot of logical sense, and works fine.

• Locked thread