Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
White Noise Marine
Apr 14, 2010

Y'all have stats for everything, and I find it absolutely insane.

"On this day, random baseball player got 29 strike outs, can other random baseball player beat him today?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JayTee
May 24, 2004

well baseball is such a dull nothing game that getting nerdy about how many times man hit ball is the closest thing you can have to fun watching it. "football" too since it's 30 seconds of action and 5 minutes of dudes standing around. do people get that way about basketball so much? probably not cus basketball is actually fun to watch

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Do Europeans not measure the statistical performance of it's athletes? How do you even know if the people playing are actually any good at the game if not.

Baseball is stats intensive because it requires massive amounts of alcohol to become entertaining and then play drinking games with everyone's numbers.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
sports autism

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax
sports stats are a lot more interesting than trainspotting tbf

"oh the 2:00 from hull departed the station at 2:00 better blog about it"

White Noise Marine
Apr 14, 2010

Twee as gently caress posted:

sports stats are a lot more interesting than trainspotting tbf

"oh the 2:00 from hull departed the station at 2:00 better blog about it"

Trains running on time? Indeed something to blog about.

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW
Moneyball is a really good movie. I like Chris Pratt.

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer

quakster posted:

sports autism

sportism

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Theparker posted:

"On this day, random baseball player got 29 strike outs, can other random baseball player beat him today?"

No. He can't. The legend must never die.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Baseball and American football are boring sports for nerds.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
29 strikeouts in one game????

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

"I'm willing to pay up to $1200 for a big anime titty"

Axetrain posted:

Do Europeans not measure the statistical performance of it's athletes? How do you even know if the people playing are actually any good at the game if not.

Baseball is stats intensive because it requires massive amounts of alcohol to become entertaining and then play drinking games with everyone's numbers.

Stats in American sports provide interesting ways to evaluate player performance and explain the in-game action while stats in soccer basically suck poo poo. You'll see stuff like pass completion mentioned sometimes if it's a crazy number but no one takes it too seriously because it doesn't say much of anything by itself.

The stops and starts in American sports provide opportunities to cut the action into segments that don't exist in soccer. There are also more incidences i.e. hockey teams get like 30 shots on goal a game.

Source: I am a fat autist who cares very deeply about trains

Fat Lowtax fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Jun 15, 2014

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
this is why americans love massively stat based sports like cricket or literal numerical games like snooker and darts

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
There is no better feeling then to shotgun 5 beers and have Bob Uecker tell you that Kyle Lohse has struck out the last 29 left handed batters he's faced and is one away from breaking some record set by a guy who died 93 years ago.

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW

Arian_Samurai posted:

There is no better feeling then to shotgun 5 beers and have Bob Uecker tell you that Kyle Lohse has struck out the last 29 left handed batters he's faced and is one away from breaking some record set by a guy who died 93 years ago.

If you want to get drunk why would you drink beer? Are people just that desperate to be a super fatty?

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Hobohemian posted:

If you want to get drunk why would you drink beer? Are people just that desperate to be a super fatty?

cause it tastes great with brats you heathen

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

Hobohemian posted:

I AM LIVING THE HIGH LIFE

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents

Axetrain posted:

We do this thing where we sit down and watch the athletes play, using our eyes

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Axetrain posted:

Do Europeans not measure the statistical performance of it's athletes?
Some sports like cricket are rife with stats. Others aren't unless you make them (see football/soccer, plus poo poo like basketball or hockey or whatever's big in your European country of choice, handball, I dunno).

quote:

How do you even know if the people playing are actually any good at the game if not.
Probably by watching and thinking about things.

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I am going to go out on a limb and say most people don't really care about the statistics. They just like the sense of drama and expectation: can a man break a record? keep watching to find out.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
It does seem to be peculiar to Americans. Was watching the PreClassic 10,000m the other day, and they had both American and British commentators sharing the booth. All the American guy did was reel off lists of pretty pointless stats, whereas the British guy spent a lot of time talking about pacing strategy, training, his perception (based on his own experience) of the emotional state of the runners at various portions of the race, poo poo like that.
I found the latter more compelling than the former.

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
op is batting .000 on making good posts

see, stats are useful

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

"I'm willing to pay up to $1200 for a big anime titty"

I feel like you'll still hear lots of pointless numerical trivia (He has had an assist in each of his last five away matches against Algeria, Opta etc.) but I guess I'm too far down the autism hole to really call that "stats in soccer."

Previous Jesus
Jun 5, 2013
what else are they supposed to talk about on espn all day?

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax

Hobohemian posted:

you literally need to drink 24 beers in order to gain on pound of fat (and only if those 24 beers are after you've eaten your TDEE of the day)

people don't get fat from drinking beer, they get fat from eating crap after drinking beer

Doctor Shapes
Mar 17, 2009

Ask and ye shall receive.
i enjoy to have some fun

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Previous Jesus posted:

what else are they supposed to talk about on espn all day?

they used to fill time with crap like competitive lumberjacking

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Qapla' to a true warrior! :patriot:

because pure schizophrenic loving obsession needs an outlet when there isn't an event to watch.

uG
Apr 23, 2003

by Ralp
because sports and everything relating to it in any way is big money (mens not womens)

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Americans have this weird thing where they like to quantify their opinions about sports instead of blindly talking out of their rear end. Everyone enjoys things differently, the europeans have a more traditional approach to sports fandom which includes beating up tourists, lighting flares and throwing bananas at black people

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Starks posted:

Americans have this weird thing where they like to quantify their opinions about sports instead of blindly talking out of their rear end. Everyone enjoys things differently, the europeans have a more traditional approach to sports fandom which includes beating up tourists, lighting flares and throwing bananas at black people

What I don't get is how you justify paying dudes millions of dollars if you can't find a way to evaluate them on an objective level.

And how do you determine how one player compares to another without numbers? You rely on you feelings about that player? That's just dumb.

Also: is soccer not stats heavy because the sport is inherently easily interpreted by numbers or is it because so gets fans don't care? All American sports: baseball, basketball, and hockey are all stats heavy. I'm pretty sure if soccer were to become popular in the US we'd find some way to measure it with 20 billion numbers which may or may not be valid.

Vladimir Putin fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Jun 15, 2014

bigzak
Aug 15, 2003
i generally don't care but it's kind of a filler for when youre at a game. no biggie

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax

Vladimir Putin posted:

I'm pretty sure if soccer were to become popular in the US

lol let me stop you right there

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Vladimir Putin posted:

Also: is soccer not stats heavy because the sport is inherently easily interpreted by numbers or is it because so gets fans don't care? All American sports: baseball, basketball, and hockey are all stats heavy. I'm pretty sure if soccer were to become popular in the US we'd find some way to measure it with 20 billion numbers which may or may not be valid.

baseball has lots of stats because there is very very little going on and it happens in controlled bursts.
Soccer has few stats because there is a shitload going on constantly, all the time.
Just try to wrap your brain around this idea because it's true even if you don't think the things going on in soccer are entertaining.

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

proof of concept posted:

baseball has lots of stats because there is very very little going on and it happens in controlled bursts.
Soccer has few stats because there is a shitload going on constantly, all the time.
Just try to wrap your brain around this idea because it's true even if you don't think the things going on in soccer are entertaining.

No that's bullshit. Stats have nothing to do with pacing of a game. There is a shitload going on in every second of a basketball game and there are a shitload of numbers that people use to capture what goes on.

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
the numbers that are used to describe basketball and hockey but not soccer are either a consequence of the fact that they are higher scoring games (points, rebounds) or of the fact that substitutions are a larger part of those sports (efficiency stats such as plus/minus)

Calvin Johnson Jr.
Dec 8, 2009
american football is awesome and if you think otherwise youre probably a dumb human being

stats actually matter because it says how much some dude is loving up the other team like jj watts sack number shows how many downs he just overpowered the other team and took their main human being to the dirt

Calvin Johnson Jr.
Dec 8, 2009
double post somehow

edit: soccer and hockey are stupid as hell and boring

basketball and football are where its at and their stats actually reflect how good a player is. You can tell a dude like Robert Quinn is a badass just from his stats and you could tell how good Carmelo Anthony is just from his stats as well. Watch them play and bam they're performing like they're a gay rpg character.

Calvin Johnson Jr. fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Jun 15, 2014

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

proof of concept posted:

the numbers that are used to describe basketball and hockey but not soccer are either a consequence of the fact that they are higher scoring games (points, rebounds) or of the fact that substitutions are a larger part of those sports (efficiency stats such as plus/minus)

So what you are saying is that there are no set of numbers that can adequately measure a soccer player's performance on the field.

I find that hard to believe. I think there are an infinite number if metrics one can use to interpret things like a sports game, and soccer isn't so special that you can't find formulas and numbers to measure things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

quakster posted:

sports autism

Seriously, what the gently caress is with goons and autism? This forum attributes loving EVERYTHING to autism. God drat gently caress.

• Locked thread