Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bigzak
Aug 15, 2003

DoctorStrangelove posted:

Seriously, what the gently caress is with goons and autism? This forum attributes loving EVERYTHING to autism. God drat gently caress.

hows autism treating you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
Stats help Philadelphians determine what Eagles or Phillies player to whip D batteries at.

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax

DoctorStrangelove posted:

Seriously, what the gently caress is with goons and autism? This forum attributes loving EVERYTHING to autism. God drat gently caress.

projection

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Vladimir Putin posted:

So what you are saying is that there are no set of numbers that can adequately measure a soccer player's performance on the field.

I find that hard to believe. I think there are an infinite number if metrics one can use to interpret things like a sports game, and soccer isn't so special that you can't find formulas and numbers to measure things.

In soccer they already track goals, assists, shots, % of the game a team has possession, number of fouls, etc. It just so happens that structurally those things don't describe a team very well or how players fit into a team. The things that make a player stand out are harder to put a number on, like quality of a player's first touch, vision, how well they weigh longer passes, whether or not they force defenders to make choices with their off the ball movement, whether they respond correctly when they have the ball to the choices their teammates force upon defenders, etc.

In other sports these are known as "intangibles" for that very reason; a basketball example would be whether a pointguard dishing to an open shooter passes the ball so that the player receives it in a natural shooting motion or if the shooter has to bend down or reach way out or otherwise bring the ball back into that motion in a way that gives defenders extra time to close him down. A hockey example would be how well a player skates. There just isn't a good way to quantify most of those things. These sorts of intangibles are the heart and soul of soccer, and this is a structural truth about the game, and it's a feature not a bug. You don't have to like it but that's just how it is.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

proof of concept posted:

In soccer they already track goals, assists, shots, % of the game a team has possession, number of fouls, etc. It just so happens that structurally those things don't describe a team very well or how players fit into a team. The things that make a player stand out are harder to put a number on, like quality of a player's first touch, vision, how well they weigh longer passes, whether or not they force defenders to make choices with their off the ball movement, whether they respond correctly when they have the ball to the choices their teammates force upon defenders, etc.

In other sports these are known as "intangibles" for that very reason; a basketball example would be whether a pointguard dishing to an open shooter passes the ball so that the player receives it in a natural shooting motion or if the shooter has to bend down or reach way out or otherwise bring the ball back into that motion in a way that gives defenders extra time to close him down. A hockey example would be how well a player skates. There just isn't a good way to quantify most of those things. These sorts of intangibles are the heart and soul of soccer, and this is a structural truth about the game, and it's a feature not a bug. You don't have to like it but that's just how it is.

Sounds like soccer managers need to hire a bunch of fat math nerds like Billy Beane did

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I think the PG example is a subset of the assist. And sports stats are like any other stats. You can always measure something with numbers.

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Moneyball is about interpreting stats that already exist in a more profitable way.
Soccer doesn't have those stats. Can't interpret stats that don't exist.

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

proof of concept posted:

Moneyball is about interpreting stats that already exist in a more profitable way.
Soccer doesn't have those stats. Can't interpret stats that don't exist.

You can always look through game footage to record numbers that people didn't record the first time. ESPN does it all the time. That's how you know things like Duncan's effect on players within 3 feet of where he is stand whether he is guarding them it not.

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah and crap like that tends to miss the point of how he fits into the overall system that the team runs defensively. With soccer it would be even worse because the team is more important and the scorelines are low. This is why it's such a joke to hear people who don't understand soccer try to break it down using the techniques they use to model other sports, it just does not apply man, I don't know what else to tell you.

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

proof of concept posted:

Yeah and crap like that tends to miss the point of how he fits into the overall system that the team runs defensively. With soccer it would be even worse because the team is more important and the scorelines are low. This is why it's such a joke to hear people who don't understand soccer try to break it down using the techniques they use to model other sports, it just does not apply man, I don't know what else to tell you.

So what you are saying is that unlike literally all of the other sports in existence soccer is somehow this special flower of a sport that can't be described by mathematics? I don't believe that at all.

Bishop
Aug 15, 2000
you could effectively operationalize aspects of a soccer player's performance and i'm sure someone has

ilikedirt
Oct 15, 2004

king of posting
its bc were so good at mAth compared to the rest of the wiorld.

ilikedirt
Oct 15, 2004

king of posting
are math education is without compair

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
stats don't measure intangibles

intangibles are v.important

Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW

Ilikedirt posted:

are math education is without compair

i remember a study where US students ranked in the top 5% of those who thought they were the best at math, and the bottom 5% of actual math scores lmao, Korea was the opposite.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Ilikedirt posted:

its bc were so good at mAth compared to the rest of the wiorld.

lmbo

ilikedirt
Oct 15, 2004

king of posting

Stoic Commie posted:

i remember a study where US students ranked in the top 5% of those who thought they were the best at math, and the bottom 5% of actual math scores lmao, Korea was the opposite.

were so comfident bc of how good at math we are

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

VikingSkull posted:

stats don't measure intangibles

intangibles are v.important

:respek:

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
we don't need math since we invented the computer

sorry the rest of the world is poor

uG
Apr 23, 2003

by Ralp

Bishop posted:

you could effectively operationalize aspects of a soccer player's performance and i'm sure someone has

like literally every sports book and lines maker

ilikedirt
Oct 15, 2004

king of posting
were the best at ADDING weight to are bodies lmao

Indy
Mar 30, 2005

Hey guys, what's up?
We always joke that the reason americans need so much statistics is that your sports are so boring that noone really watches. Cant understand the game if aint spelled out right there in front of you.

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

uG posted:

like literally every sports book and lines maker

sports books make their money from the vig so it is in their best interest for the sum totals of bets on either side of the line to be the same and they set their lines with that in mind which has more to do with public perception of the respective chances the teams have in the contest contest than it does their actual respective chances

IsaoHung
Jun 9, 2013

Everything they said is true
I'm trying very hard to see why having stats for every sport is a bad thing, and I can't come up with a drat thing. We still enjoy the sports we watch and we get the added benefit of always knowing just how well each individual player is doing throughout their season/career with facts instead eurofeels.

IsaoHung
Jun 9, 2013

Everything they said is true

Indy posted:

We always joke that the reason americans need so much statistics is that your sports are so boring that noone really watches. Cant understand the game if aint spelled out right there in front of you.

Well when you guys over the pond get your heads out of your collective asses you might see the stats are not a necessity to survival of the sport, but an added bonus for the viewers. I'm fairly certain if the sports broadcasters started spouting off stats less and less only a small handful of autists would commit suicide.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Indy posted:

We don't joke about you and the sports you like because nobody loving cares.

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Boogaleeboo posted:

We don't joke about you and the sports you like because nobody loving cares.

If that were true then the people in this country who don't like soccer would just ignore it when the world cup rolls around every 4 years instead of running their mouths about it for the entire tournament. My favorite is the anchor (fox news I think) who has been clutching an american football at his news anchor desk for the broadcasts like his entire identity is under attack because of a sports tournament on another continent for a sport he doesn't like

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
are german sports fans obsessed with stats. because that sounds like something a lot of germans would be obsessed with and german immigrants heavily influenced american culture.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

proof of concept posted:

If that were true then the people in this country who don't like soccer would just ignore it when the world cup rolls around every 4 years instead of running their mouths about it for the entire tournament.

No really, the entire World Cup is going to pass and it's going to get a bare glimpse more interest than soccer ever gets in this country, which is to say "That thing you send your kids to to keep them from being fatties".

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Europeans don't care about stats because if they did they'd realize America dominates the Olympics in medal count

dumb fatties rule the world and they can't take it

Bob James
Nov 15, 2005

by Lowtax
Ultra Carp
Stats exist because there is a need to quantify just how bad the Cubs are.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Snoggle posted:

Stats exist because there is a need to quantify just how bad the Cubs are.

this is also true

they are really bad

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Twee as gently caress posted:

you literally need to drink 24 beers in order to gain on pound of fat (and only if those 24 beers are after you've eaten your TDEE of the day)

people don't get fat from drinking beer, they get fat from eating crap after drinking beer

what a stupid stat you could probably come up with something similar for cookies or whatever

beers have lots of calories and carbs, p much the same as soft drinks

uG
Apr 23, 2003

by Ralp

proof of concept posted:

sports books make their money from the vig so it is in their best interest for the sum totals of bets on either side of the line to be the same and they set their lines with that in mind which has more to do with public perception of the respective chances the teams have in the contest contest than it does their actual respective chances

only a fraction of it has to do with that. otherwise heavy hitters would crush bookies on their weak lines. maybe in $200 bet land your scenario is true but there are way more people dropping $50k a game than you think

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax

babypolis posted:

what a stupid stat you could probably come up with something similar for cookies or whatever

beers have lots of calories and carbs, p much the same as soft drinks

it's not a "stat", and who gives a poo poo how many carbs there are in beer? What gets you fat is eating more calories than you spend during the day. In order to gain 1 pound of fat, you need an excess of 3500 calories. A beer is 150 calories on average. That means to gain one pound of fat from drinking beer you need to drink 24 after you've already reached your TDEE.

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

proof of concept posted:

If that were true then the people in this country who don't like soccer would just ignore it when the world cup rolls around every 4 years instead of running their mouths about it for the entire tournament. My favorite is the anchor (fox news I think) who has been clutching an american football at his news anchor desk for the broadcasts like his entire identity is under attack because of a sports tournament on another continent for a sport he doesn't like

I'm aware that the World Cup is going on and I'm aware of the protests that are leading up to it. I'm pretty sure I'm not going to watch one single minute of it. I wouldn't even know where to look up scores or even what channel it is on TV. My only exposure is probably internet news websites or something like NPR. Am I mad at soccer? No, I, like many other Americans simply don't care. We don't actively seek out World Cup news/results because it doesn't even occur to us.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

it's not a "stat", and who gives a poo poo how many carbs there are in beer? What gets you fat is eating more calories than you spend during the day. In order to gain 1 pound of fat, you need an excess of 3500 calories. A beer is 150 calories on average. That means to gain one pound of fat from drinking beer you need to drink 24 after you've already reached your TDEE.

so you dont think pounding 6 beers which is 900 extra calories isnt a big deal for most people

gaining a pound a month would be really lovely, you think someone isnt gonna drink 24 beers over the course of a month and not count those beers as beyond their meals?

also in this case x is beers needed to gain a pound which is a random variable so yeah it is a stat you dumbass

babypolis fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Jun 15, 2014

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW

Lol, you are a super fatty. Only super fatties know calorie counts of average foods. How does it feel knowing the exact numbers that make you a fat piece of poo poo?

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax
^^^ yeah bro it's totally fatties who count their calories, as opposed to fit people who hit the gym regularly and want to make sure they stay within their macros and general caloric range

babypolis posted:

so you dont think pounding 6 beers which is 900 extra calories isnt a big deal for most people

lol most people don't spend the day behind their computers doing gently caress all except whine on tumblr and play steam games, they actually go out and take walks and do physical activity a few times a week and are able to have NINE HUNDRED EXTRA CALORIES (900:stonk:!!!) in one sitting without turning into blimps yeah

babypolis posted:

also in this case x is beers needed to gain a pound which is a random variable so yeah it is a stat you dumbass

It's not a random variable. You need 3500 extra calories to gain one pound of fat. That's all there is to it. Doesn't matter if it's 3500 extra calories from beers or carrots. A calorie is a calorie, and a pound is a pound.

Twee as Fuck fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jun 15, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

it's because all americans are fat and autistic

• Locked thread