Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

"I'm willing to pay up to $1200 for a big anime titty"

Axetrain posted:

Do Europeans not measure the statistical performance of it's athletes? How do you even know if the people playing are actually any good at the game if not.

Baseball is stats intensive because it requires massive amounts of alcohol to become entertaining and then play drinking games with everyone's numbers.

Stats in American sports provide interesting ways to evaluate player performance and explain the in-game action while stats in soccer basically suck poo poo. You'll see stuff like pass completion mentioned sometimes if it's a crazy number but no one takes it too seriously because it doesn't say much of anything by itself.

The stops and starts in American sports provide opportunities to cut the action into segments that don't exist in soccer. There are also more incidences i.e. hockey teams get like 30 shots on goal a game.

Source: I am a fat autist who cares very deeply about trains

Fat Lowtax fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Jun 15, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

"I'm willing to pay up to $1200 for a big anime titty"

I feel like you'll still hear lots of pointless numerical trivia (He has had an assist in each of his last five away matches against Algeria, Opta etc.) but I guess I'm too far down the autism hole to really call that "stats in soccer."

• Locked thread