Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who will win it all next year?
This poll is closed.
Spurs 165 32.93%
Thunder 76 15.17%
Clippers 54 10.78%
Warriors 50 9.98%
Rockets 23 4.59%
Lakers 133 26.55%
Total: 501 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.

New dynasties are formed when the old one is unmade. There are many questions coming into this year's offseason but will any get a satisfying answer?

First is the free agency with some big names and some no names. And for them there are quite a few teams with plenty of cap space this off season with notably the Lakers, Cleveland, Mavericks and potentially the Heat. Will the Miami Big 3 stay put or disband? Will Love get traded before the season starts and to where? Will any team take on Lance Stephenson? Which city does LaLa want to live in? Will Kobe have any teammates to not share the lunch table with or a coach to not listen to? Can the Bulls grab someone to teach Derrick Rose how to play basketball again?

Notable big free agents:
Lebron James (early temination)
Carmelo Anthony (player option)
Kyle Lowry
Eric Bledsoe (restricted)
Luol Deng
Lance Stephenson
Isaiah Thomas (restricted)
Boris Diaw
2 times NBA Champion starting point guard Mario Chalmers
Jodie Meeks
Royce White

Full list here: http://hoopshype.com/free_agency_2014.htm
Cap situation of teams here: http://hoopshype.com/salaries.htm

In addition to the Lakers the Cavaliers currently do not have a head coach.

The second big thing of the offseason is of course the draft and this year's is to be a very hyped up one. There are better minds and a whole thread to talk about it here so I don't have much to add; because you see the Knicks dislike the general concept of having draft picks.

Top 7 picks:
1. Cleveland Cavaliers
2. Milwaukee Bucks
3. Philadelphia 76ers
4. Orlando Magic
5. Utah Jazz
6. Boston Celtics
7. Los Angeles Lakers

Draft thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3632641

Finally there is the saga of Donald Sterling who has hired a crack team of investigators to unearth the league's dirtiest secrets. Where are the bodies? Is there really a fix? We will find out, or maybe we won't whatever.

Important offseason dates:
June 16 -- Offseason begins
June 23 -- Melo's player option decision deadline
June 26 -- The NBA Draft
June 30 -- Player option deadline
July 1 -- Free Agency begins
July 5-11 -- Orlando Summer League
July 10 -- Free agents signings start
July 11-21 -- Las Vegas Summer League
July 18 -- Amnesty provision deadline (notably Carlos Boozer and Kendrick Perkins)
August 30-September 14 -- FIBA World Cup of Basketball
October 4-24 -- NBA Preseason
October 28 -- Offseason ends

Remember,

It's y before the a

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
I hate the Spurs.

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

Weird there's no option for the Wizards in the poll

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
What a glorious finals that was

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

the_american_dream posted:

Woulda been glorious if the Spurs won game 2

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
It would have been glorious if weren't a series of blowouts between teams that have already won a billion times now, IMO.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

It's gonna be a sad day when Timmy, Tony, and Manu are no longer teammates. I hope they all retire together and then have a big rear end Starcraft tournament.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

N: Birdman most likely not coming back with the Heat next season.
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/report-heats-andersen-decline-option-152030625--nba.html

V: I liked Birdman a lot but he's getting on in age and probably not going to be as effective anyways.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

RCarr posted:

It's gonna be a sad day when Timmy, Tony, and Manu are no longer teammates. I hope they all retire together and then have a big rear end Starcraft tournament.

Tim moves on to his second career as host of Lone Star Clash. Parker becomes a jet pack salesman.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

RCarr posted:

I hope they retire together, this year, and it somehow doesn't end with Jahlil Okafor, Life Long Spur.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP
The Heat need Jodie Meeks.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

The quickest substitution in the history of the NBA
I hope the Heat sign Mo Williams.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

the_american_dream posted:

Dirk got to play seven games of playoff basketball. Mark Jackson was fired. Boris Diaw did magical things.

Great playoffs. I'm pleased.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
Other teams please stay away from Boris and Patty, find your own people to coach up, turn into great role players and leave our team alone.

Thanks.

Also gently caress off Steve Kerr you cant have Chip.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Someone in the last thread said this Spurs team will change how nba teams are built. But aren't they super traditional in terms of how they were built. Take an all world big man with 1 1 and build around him with talented perimeter dudes.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
I think the Spurs have already changed how teams are built in that you are probably not going to draft international all-stars at the end of the first or in the second round because everybody has stepped up their international scouting.

SCARYJEINFELD
Oct 30, 2012

It happens sometimes. People just explode. Natural causes.

Papercut posted:

I hope the Heat sign Mo Williams.

I hope the Heat fire Spoelstra and hire Mike Brown.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Other teams please stay away from Boris and Patty, find your own people to coach up, turn into great role players and leave our team alone.

Thanks.

Also gently caress off Steve Kerr you cant have Chip.

The Spurs don't have much to do with Diaw being good.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_0wjFP3YsQ

Haha, Nate Robinson and Steph Curry.

Also Shots Fired(He's right though :ssh:).

Dexo fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jun 16, 2014

danucleus
Nov 22, 2007
hmm

chunkles posted:

I think the Spurs have already changed how teams are built in that you are probably not going to draft international all-stars at the end of the first or in the second round because everybody has stepped up their international scouting.

While true, Boris Diaw didn't blossom in the NBA until the Spurs picked him up and Patty Mills would've been a wild card on another team before he developed this year. Nobody looked at Splitter twice before this year either. The success of the Spurs is finding great fits into their system and maximizing player potential.

What is more worrisome for the Spurs is the poaching of all of the assistant coaches to the other NBA teams. They will be trying to implement the same system elsewhere, picking off players that would fit into that Spurs philosophy. This will probably make it harder for the Spurs to find inherently unselfish players; however, the Spurs are also good at teaching players to be unselfish, so they should come out okay.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

danucleus posted:

While true, Boris Diaw didn't blossom in the NBA until the Spurs picked him up and Patty Mills would've been a wild card on another team before he developed this year. Nobody looked at Splitter twice before this year either. The success of the Spurs is finding great fits into their system and maximizing player potential.

What is more worrisome for the Spurs is the poaching of all of the assistant coaches to the other NBA teams. They will be trying to implement the same system elsewhere, picking off players that would fit into that Spurs philosophy. This will probably make it harder for the Spurs to find inherently unselfish players; however, the Spurs are also good at teaching players to be unselfish, so they should come out okay.

So Michael Beasley should have been a Spur.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

danucleus posted:

While true, Boris Diaw didn't blossom in the NBA until the Spurs picked him up

Again, though, this is bullshit. Diaw's been a good player since he won Most Improved in Phoenix. He was bad his final year in Charlotte because he came back fat from the lockout and didn't want to be there, but that's about it.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I remember the forums making GBS threads themselves because the Spurs got another late steal with Splitter, which they did. Like it was the most predictable god drat thing ever that they would stash a talented overseas player who would later become a major contributor.

danucleus
Nov 22, 2007
hmm

Strawberry Panda posted:

So Michael Beasley should have been a Spur.

If the Spurs found Beasley to fit somehow, then that might've been the best thing to happen to him; but than again, the Spurs shipped out Stephen Jackson due to his behavior issues so who knows how Beasley would have done?

danucleus
Nov 22, 2007
hmm

morestuff posted:

Again, though, this is bullshit. Diaw's been a good player since he won Most Improved in Phoenix. He was bad his final year in Charlotte because he came back fat from the lockout and didn't want to be there, but that's about it.

Admittedly I don't know much about Diaw before the lockout season, but I think the point still stands in that the Spurs' strong point is discipline and maximizing player potential. The lockout season Bobcats were probably the anti-thesis to that.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

danucleus posted:

If the Spurs found Beasley to fit somehow, then that might've been the best thing to happen to him; but than again, the Spurs shipped out Stephen Jackson due to his behavior issues so who knows how Beasley would have done?

Keep in mind that Jackson had a fantastic playoffs the year before the Spurs lost the finals to the Heat.

Mr. Funktastic
Dec 27, 2012

College Slice

Dexo posted:

They should've forwarded that tweet to Paul Pierce, the father of pubey facial hair.

H-Tail
Dec 18, 2005

"I'm not a crybaby"

Dexo posted:

Also Shots Fired(He's right though :ssh:).

It looks so weird to see Dwyane written like that

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Strawberry Panda posted:

The Heat need Jodie Meeks.

He was really the Lakers' best player when Pau was in 2013 or suffereing from vertigo but more flashier players got all the attention.

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies
Internet keeps talking about Melo to the Heat, but what about LeBron opting out? Put LeBron on any other Eastern Conference team and that team makes the Finals. Why wouldn't he go somewhere else where he would actually get paid max money instead of taking a discount to play with the corpse of Dwyane Wade? At the very least he should opt-out so that Miami re-signs him to a max deal.

Jerry Steinfeld
Dec 25, 2012

ChickenMedium posted:

Internet keeps talking about Melo to the Heat, but what about LeBron opting out? Put LeBron on any other Eastern Conference team and that team makes the Finals. Why wouldn't he go somewhere else where he would actually get paid max money instead of taking a discount to play with the corpse of Dwyane Wade? At the very least he should opt-out so that Miami re-signs him to a max deal.
A better question is why would someone who is already making hundreds of millions of dollars by the time he stops playing bball sign with a team that won't win a ring

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Lebron doesn't need to take a paycut to get the max with Miami, they have his bird rights.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted

Dexo posted:

Watching this made me realise 1) I'd never before seen Cousins smile and 2) he looks really friendly when he smiles :unsmith:

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Rick posted:

He was really the Lakers' best player when Pau was in 2013 or suffereing from vertigo but more flashier players got all the attention.

I know he's one of those players that I inexplicably really like and follow.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

nachos posted:

I remember the forums making GBS threads themselves because the Spurs got another late steal with Splitter, which they did. Like it was the most predictable god drat thing ever that they would stash a talented overseas player who would later become a major contributor.
Yeah, the only things that are gonna get me through this horrifying upcoming NBA drought are imagining that the Spurs draft pick is some magic steal stash and getting fixated on the summer league and bullshit FA rumors. I can't even get jingoistic and watch the World Cup because there's a serious risk I'll slip into a coma and not come back in time for the preseason.
Maybe if I time it right...

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
From some twitter: In ESPN interview, Kobe also brought up unprompted about Tim Duncan possibly getting 6th ring before him: "I'm not okay with that."

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

OP you forgot reigning Olympic Scoring Champion and NBA Champ Patty Mills in your list of big free agents. He could very well dupe some team into giving him Gary Neal Money or more.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Blazer fans were nuts about Patty Mills long before he sniffed a Spurs uniform

San Antonio didn't discover Diaw. He was pretty drat key for Phoenix, especially the year Amare was out. They did reinvigorate his career after his stint in Charlotte were he got fat(ter) and gave zero fucks

People knew about Splitter. He wasn't some unknown. What other teams didn't want to deal with was his buyout/contract situation. The Spurs made a shrewd decision that paid off really well but it wasn't like they took some guy from Qatar that no one ever heard of who turned out to be great

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

WhyteRyce posted:

San Antonio didn't discover Diaw. He was pretty drat key for Phoenix, especially the year Amare was out. They did reinvigorate his career after his stint in Charlotte were he got fat(ter) and gave zero fucks

He was actually pretty good in Charlotte, too, the lockout just ruined him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

WhyteRyce posted:

but it wasn't like they took some guy from Qatar that no one ever heard of who turned out to be great

That would be Danny Green.

• Locked thread