Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who will win it all next year?
This poll is closed.
Spurs 165 32.93%
Thunder 76 15.17%
Clippers 54 10.78%
Warriors 50 9.98%
Rockets 23 4.59%
Lakers 133 26.55%
Total: 501 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Strawberry Panda posted:

Oh Yahoo is reporting Birdman is leaving the Heat.

Is he leaving or doing the Heat a favor by making the cap hold lower by opting out and re-signing later?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Niwrad posted:

Is he leaving or doing the Heat a favor by making the cap hold lower by opting out and re-signing later?

~Testing~ the free agent market.

Geriatric Pirate
Apr 25, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Niwrad posted:

He's on the vet minimum so he can't help them at all

edit: nevermind I'm an idiot I thought you meant sign a cheaper deal later

Geriatric Pirate fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Jun 17, 2014

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Inside Outside posted:

We already have a contender in the "Who's gonna pay the gently caress out of Patty Mills to be their starting point guard" race and it's exactly who you'd think it'd be.

http://www.hoopsrumors.com/?p=16125

Depending on the money, I think Mills could actually work out pretty well if the Knicks run the triangle. Are the Knicks running the triangle?

I'm glad someone else in this thread said that hoopsrumors was pretty much always wrong, because I don't think I could handle Patty Mills playing for the Knicks.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
I hope Lebron retires so none of yall mufuckas can have him :mad:

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
Rockets aggressively trying to hire Lionel Hollins as the assistant coach who actually does all the coaching. How many weeks do you think he would make it before choking out Morey?

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

Dexo posted:

probably hasn't been updated. He didn't quality for the Rose Rule until this year.

Rose Rule doesn't apply to Finals MVPs

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Lowe has a pretty good summary of why removing the individual cap on salaries isn't a great solution.

PantsFreeZone
May 31, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo
Shane Battier just gave his final press conference as an NBA player. I know this makes many of you happy, but I'm going to miss that dude.

quote:

I got better looking and wittier as my career went on and I got slower and couldn't jump as high.

Also, Bosh was sounding pretty sure the Big 3 era isn't over. He all but said "I'm staying."

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Which happens first Spurs get to another finals or Spurs throw another alley-oop?

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

I am concerned that the poll at the top does not have the obvious favorite, the Phoenix Suns as a selection. The Dragon will lead us to victory.

Also, Jesus Christ the Spurs looked awesome this year. Good for them.

Lebron come to Phoenix, we can help you play forever.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

MourningView posted:

Between Harden and Wade y'all have the memories of loving goldfish.

I come not to praise Caesar but to insist that his efficiency is about to go down

net work error posted:

~Testing~ the free agent market.

a 34 year old role player who probably overachieved given his role on a good team you say well let me get mark cuban on the phone

Inside Outside
Jul 31, 2005

Chairchucker posted:

I'm glad someone else in this thread said that hoopsrumors was pretty much always wrong, because I don't think I could handle Patty Mills playing for the Knicks.

That's Hoopshype that's always wrong, they'll publish anything. Hoops Rumors is the sister site to MLB Trade Rumors, which is a pretty solid site. On the plus side it's early enough in the offseason that even if it's a legit rumor a lot could change the situation, especially how the Knicks use their lottery pick, lol.

Geriatric Pirate
Apr 25, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

morestuff posted:

Lowe has a pretty good summary of why removing the individual cap on salaries isn't a great solution.

Why would the salaries of players 20-40 who don't warrant max deals now increase? Teams will just have less cap space for them, which is probably going to be a lot more important than trying to benchmark their salaries to superstars.

grapesmoker
Apr 19, 2003

This moon-cheese will make me very rich... very rich indeed!

Ramadu posted:

I am concerned that the poll at the top does not have the obvious favorite, the Phoenix Suns as a selection. The Dragon will lead us to victory.

Also, Jesus Christ the Spurs looked awesome this year. Good for them.

Lebron come to Phoenix, we can help you play forever.

This would also be awesome and should happen. That team would score 120 PPG.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
The Dream Team

PantsFreeZone
May 31, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

soggybagel posted:

The Dream Team

Who is the fat Asian baby here?

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
That's me!

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

grapesmoker posted:

This would also be awesome and should happen. That team would score 120 PPG.

D'Antoni is even available. Ya'll can't have Diaw back though.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

illcendiary posted:

Rose Rule doesn't apply to Finals MVPs

Paul George.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

PantsFreeZone posted:

I might be getting *whooshed* but that would be Our Glorious Leader.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

George also only took half of the Rose rule bump when they negotiated the extension, so that may be why it's off a mil or two.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Eltoasto posted:

George also only took half of the Rose rule bump when they negotiated the extension, so that may be why it's off a mil or two.

Doesn't his extension start next year anyway? I believe this year is still at his old deal.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Rick posted:

Doesn't his extension start next year anyway? I believe this year is still at his old deal.

I assumed Bashez was looking at next year when the contract starts, I probably shouldn't make such assumptions.

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

This is the best videogame
I have ever played!
nvm

Homestar Runner fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Jun 18, 2014

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:

Eltoasto posted:

Yeah I didn't know about that. That's going to save the Pacers almost 2 million. Not that they're going to have any money anyway.

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
What's the market looking like for Kyle Lowry? I know they'd have to spend a lot more than they want, but he seems like the ideal player for the Heat to chase if the big 3 are gonna give it another go.

I'd love to see him back in Houston, personally.

Halfling Wizard Bear
Oct 12, 2003

I have a competition in me. I want no one else to succeed. I hate most people.

PantsFreeZone posted:

You're already dead.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

Dexo posted:

Paul George.

Whooooops! Misread.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

soggybagel posted:

The Dream Team

Poor Vin Baker was just trying to get to South Korea but had a few and got lost. That picture has a pretty good concentration of, "oh so that's where he ended up."

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

Blind Pineapple posted:

What's the market looking like for Kyle Lowry? I know they'd have to spend a lot more than they want, but he seems like the ideal player for the Heat to chase if the big 3 are gonna give it another go.

I'd love to see him back in Houston, personally.

The way I see it, he's totally out of any contender's ability to pay. See Teague, Holiday, Dragic (Dragic owns don't get mad at me), Jennings etc.

I'd like to see a breakdown of which teams might have some real money to throw around.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan
Yay, the Smoothie King Arena will no longer have an exterior that resembles a bathroom wall!

http://www.nola.com/pelicans/index.ssf/2014/06/plans_are_in_the_works_to_chan.html

Inside Outside
Jul 31, 2005

soggybagel posted:

The Dream Team

Kim il-Sung is an adherent of the Tracy McGrady school of fashion.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Dennis Rodman as State Dept asset CIA agent sounds like a crazy mans fiction but here we are.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Fight Club Sandwich posted:

Maybe girls didn't jump before Boris' mom
The set shot was pretty common back in the day; e.g. Magic was pretty dependent on his set shot and didn't really have a jumper. :edit: unless you count the hook shot as a jump shot I guess.

euphronius posted:

Dennis Rodman as State Dept asset CIA agent sounds like a crazy mans fiction but here we are.

Not quite, but the general idea is the in the same arena. Some highlights from the IMDB write ups...

quote:

Having retiring from the CIA, where he was an anti-terrorist operative, Jack Paul Quinn spends his days poolside at his house in Nice, France with his pregnant wife Katherine Rose Quinn. But international terrorist Stavros, an old enemy of Quinn's, has resurfaced, and the CIA wants Quinn to come out of retirement, and go after Stavros...It all comes to a head in a Roman coliseum in a showdown featuring a tiger, land mines...and the baby.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

Spoeank posted:

Poor Vin Baker was just trying to get to South Korea but had a few and got lost. That picture has a pretty good concentration of, "oh so that's where he ended up."

Me and my father had a theory that Dennis Rodman's trips to North Korea all just came about because he was actually chasing down a very far, very errant rebound from a playoff game in the 1990s.

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

CBS sports reporting that the Miami Heat and Kyle Lowry have "mutual interest" in teaming up.

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”

Ty1990 posted:

CBS sports reporting that the Miami Heat and Kyle Lowry have "mutual interest" in teaming up.

Is it just me or would this do absolutely nothing to help their court spacing problem. Seriously, what does Kyle Lowry do that you don't already have? You don't need another slasher. You need a consistent shooter who isn't washed up like Lewis, Battier, or Jones, prone to hot/cold spells like Chalmers/Cole or an idiot like Beasley, They don't need another ball handler on that roster. They'd be better, but that just seems like a team that's going to get murdered when they aren't shooting the lights out or making Lebron into a roaming defender.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Hmmm, trying to make a Kawhi Leonard t-shirt ("Who is Kawhi Leonard?" *expressionless Kawhi head* "Kawhi Leonard.") to go along with my corny Ball Don't Lie and Talkin' Bout Practice shirts, but I can't find any good cutout Kawhi faces or renders like people take to games or put on posters and poo poo.

offseason nba thread whooo :mrapig:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

One thing that stuck out about this Spurs team was the amount of guys capable of hitting threes with ease. This kind of mirrors what we've already been seeing with most teams shooting and making more threes than ever in the regular season. But it seems every guy on the Spurs was competent in this area. It's crazy how the game is still evolving.

Spurs and the Heat both had two of the greatest 3P shooting playoffs ever:

http://www.basketball-reference.com...l=&order_by=fg3

The other thing is this Spurs team having no MVP level player. Something that really can't be said for a team since the 89 and 90 Pistons which makes it even more surprising that they had the largest MOV at +70 and largest MOV/G at 14 in finals history (and even in the top twenty for all playoff series combined). Some of this could be attributed to the Heat fatigue of going to four straight finals but not all of it.

LeBron should've gotten finals MVP but they have that established tradition of giving it to the winning team. More motivation for LBJ to come back next year somehow even better.

The B_36 posted:

Lebron isn't going anywhere, neither is Wade. Has the best player on a Finals team ever left that team the next season?

Some ones that come to mind:

2004 Shaquille O'Neal
1998 Michael Jordan
1993 Michael Jordan
1991 Magic Johnson
1988 Adrian Dantley
1973 Wilt Chamberlain

Cigar Aficionado posted:

Birdman and Battier are gone, Haslem is useless, Oden and Beasley aren't worth keeping around, and Wade is shot. I can't see how the Heat are viable next season.

The Heat need to get younger. Having the oldest team is not usually a recipe for success. Even though they lost this year if they stick together it'll be interesting to see if they can reach the finals again. Five consecutive EC titles would be special.

• Locked thread