Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who will win it all next year?
This poll is closed.
Spurs 165 32.93%
Thunder 76 15.17%
Clippers 54 10.78%
Warriors 50 9.98%
Rockets 23 4.59%
Lakers 133 26.55%
Total: 501 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

glowing-fish posted:

Me and my father had a theory that Dennis Rodman's trips to North Korea all just came about because he was actually chasing down a very far, very errant rebound from a playoff game in the 1990s.

it happened because Rodman is a pathetic umemployable drunk who knows nothing about politics beyond a cursory "i've seen TV and north korea is bad" he can't keep a job because he can't stop drinking and he was getting closer to bottoming out after his reality show appearances failed some canadian cultural tourists gave him vodka money to act as a passport into NK (Jong-Un is 31 years old and grew up in the western world he loved the 90s Bulls because it was normal, now he's met one of his heroes and he's still a murderin' dictator) so they could film an HBO special about "look at the curious quirks of this oppressive autocracy's guest facade ha ha ha oh well" or something

edit: points in his favor--all-time greatest rebounder positional or otherwise, michael jordan hated him so he couldn't ahve been all bad, amazing basketball body, incredible wingspan on a jumping frame

not scared :)

EvanTH fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Jun 18, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

Bill Laimbeer is eye loving the poo poo out of him.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

nachos posted:

What [Wade] really needs to do is figure out how to shoot, but that's unlikely seeing as how he's been a mostly bad shooter his whole career outside of his MVP candidate years.

Yea, I wonder if he could become a good 3P guy or if that's hopeless.

Bashez posted:

Why do people keep saying the Heat made the finals like it's some huge accomplishment? Is there a West playoff team that wouldn't have been favorites to make the Finals if they were in the Heat's spot?

It'd probably depend on HCA but I wouldn't think those 4-8 seeds would be favored significantly over the Heat. It's still an accomplishment due to amount of games a team has to win.

EvanTH posted:

Hah also hey Zogo remember when I was like "Zogo says regular season win record is predictive for a title" and then Zogo was like "well sure normally but c'mon lookit these TEAMS I think the Heat have this" well you sure proved you wrong with your dang numbers.

I don't remember saying exactly that. I do remember saying I wouldn't be shocked if they won despite it kind of creating a new paradigm. As far as WS and MPG is concerned they're the most balanced champions ever. In the future if 3PAs continue to increase we can expect variability to increase as well. The NBA may move slowly and slightly more toward a college kind of game.

It's true though that WP% is the preeminent factor.

Zogo fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Jun 18, 2014

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

EvanTH posted:

it happened because Rodman is a pathetic umemployable drunk who knows nothing about politics beyond a cursory "i've seen TV and north korea is bad" he can't keep a job because he can't stop drinking and he was getting closer to bottoming out after his reality show appearances failed some canadian cultural tourists gave him vodka money to act as a passport into NK (Jong-Un is 31 years old and grew up in the western world he loved the 90s Bulls because it was normal, now he's met one of his heroes and he's still a murderin' dictator) so they could film an HBO special about "look at the curious quirks of this oppressive autocracy's guest facade ha ha ha oh well" or something

edit: points in his favor--all-time greatest rebounder positional or otherwise, michael jordan hated him so he couldn't ahve been all bad, amazing basketball body, incredible wingspan on a jumping frame

This version doesn't have the Barkley, Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden vibe of glowing-fish's theory, though, so I'm going with his.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFXsntujvZA

Wade is terrible, he got poop'd on the court by Splitter.

They did a good job recreating the block on Wade here.
Duncan's entrance is hilarious.

If you haven't watched this yet, do so now.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

"An NBA Finals trouncing unlike any other" http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/06/15/an-nba-finals-trouncing-unlike-any-other/

What's funny about that graphic is the 1958 Celtics being +27 on the Hawks. They seriously could've won ten straight titles rather than eight.

Also, BBR has stat tables Per 100 Possessions now.

1987 Jordan - 46.4 points per 100 possessions.
2006 Kobe - 45.6 points per 100.
1995 Rodman 26.6 rebounds per 100.

http://www.sports-reference.com/blog/2014/06/introducing-per-100-possessions-statistics/

ChickenMedium posted:

Put LeBron on any other Eastern Conference team and that team makes the Finals.

The 76ers and Bucks were terrible this year compared to even the rest of the weak east.

Cigar Aficionado posted:

I know everyone's like "hurr hurr LeBron" but I meant in terms of competing for a title. The Cleveland Cavaliers had LeBron too. All that really guarantees you is 50 wins and a first round playoff win.

The difference is that LBJ is in his prime now. Those Cavs teams had young, inexperienced LeBron. He's the ultimate multitool knife. If you delineated and categorized basketball skills he's got to have the largest list of anybody who's ever played the game.

If the team is drastically different next year with a lot of revamping it'll be tough however.
Just removing Ray Allen, Shane Battier, Chris Andersen and Joel Anthony is removing 25% of their minutes last year.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Spacebump posted:

They did a good job recreating the block on Wade here.
Duncan's entrance is hilarious.

If you haven't watched this yet, do so now.
hahaha the morbidly obese white gun-toting Spurs fans are the best part of that.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
I was about to say that the video isn't accurate because it features big ol San Antonio men instead of big ol women.

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne

Zogo posted:

The NBA may move slowly and slightly more toward a college kind of game.

no thanks.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Chris Bosh's depiction as a dinosaur is added to the list of empirically stupid poo poo that consistently makes me laugh.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:

Zogo posted:

The other thing is this Spurs team having no MVP level player. Something that really can't be said for a team since the 89 and 90 Pistons which makes it even more surprising that they had the largest MOV at +70 and largest MOV/G at 14 in finals history (and even in the top twenty for all playoff series combined). Some of this could be attributed to the Heat fatigue of going to four straight finals but not all of it.

I don't think this is really surprising and I don't think the Heat got tired so much as the Spurs were a much better team.

Zogo posted:

It'd probably depend on HCA but I wouldn't think those 4-8 seeds would be favored significantly over the Heat. It's still an accomplishment due to amount of games a team has to win. Lately some TV analysts have been downplaying playoff records because the old

If they took the Heat's spot, meaning the Heat wouldn't be a factor.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Bashez posted:

I don't think this is really surprising and I don't think the Heat got tired so much as the Spurs were a much better team.

You thought they were really going to dish out the most dominating finals performance ever? Being tired and being a better team aren't mutually exclusive things. If Birdman, Wade and Allen were at peak health things would've been different.

Why do you think the Spurs were only +2 on the Mavericks in the first round?

Bashez posted:

If they took the Heat's spot, meaning the Heat wouldn't be a factor.

Oh I see what you mean. Then a lot of those West teams are looking better. Pacers had a higher SRS than the Mavericks and Grizzlies at least. I don't believe the 2014 Heat making the finals (disregarding other seasons) is a huge accomplishment. Doing it four seasons straight is what makes it special and I'd be skeptical of most of those west teams doing it in the east (for many different reasons).

PS I see I forgot to finish my thought. I meant to say

Lately some TV analysts have been downplaying playoff records because the older Celtics teams with Russell played in less games but if the Celtics had to go through four seven game series a year the likelihood of them pulling off eleven title runs in thirteen years is lessened. For Russell to win a title each year during that period it would take 117 wins. Right now it'd take 208 wins to do the same.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Zogo posted:

1991 Magic Johnson

oh for gently caress's sake you loving robot

Also Dantley didn't leave he got traded in the middle of the next season.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.

MourningView posted:

Hmmm should I consider the entire season that just happened or the last three games I saw....YOU'RE RIGHT, SKIP, WADE IS TERRIBLE AND SHOULD RETIRE

He can't stay healthy, and he has chronic degenerative knee problems. He was held out a third of the season to rest his knees, and he still broke down by the finals. Can't build around him any more, as he's only going to miss more games and lose more and more of his athleticism, which is what his whole style is based on.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Alexander Julian, the guy who designed the Hornets' original jerseys, is apparently a crazy person now:

quote:

“They flew me to a game, and they took me to dinner,” Julian said. “They seemed surprised that I would do the uniforms for free. Look, I know the NBA is a huge mega-business, and I understand that. But in my mind it was a done deal. Evidently, it was only in my mind.”

Whitfield countered that it was Julian’s idea to meet (which Julian said is true). Whitfield said Julian was already planning to fly into the Raleigh-Durham airport to visit one of his children at college and that the Bobcats simply paid a “change fee” for him to fly into Charlotte instead (Julian said the team actually paid for the Charlotte leg of his trip).

Whitfield said the Bobcats were interested in talking with Julian primarily to “pay homage and to honor” what the original Hornets had done. Julian thought they were also very interested in having him do the new design.

Julian thought he would meet with Jordan while in Charlotte. Instead, he met with Whitfield and some of the Bobcats’ other marketing men. Whitfield said Julian’s meeting with Jordan was never a consideration.

Julian characterized the meeting as “very good” and said he soon went home and went to work, producing 150 versions of possible new Hornets uniforms. Whitfield said that while he had the “utmost respect” for Julian, he only met with him for 10 minutes and never told him to start designing new uniforms.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Does it really count as changing teams when you move to the Birmingham Barons?

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice

TheGreyGhost posted:

Is it just me or would this do absolutely nothing to help their court spacing problem. Seriously, what does Kyle Lowry do that you don't already have? You don't need another slasher. You need a consistent shooter who isn't washed up like Lewis, Battier, or Jones, prone to hot/cold spells like Chalmers/Cole or an idiot like Beasley, They don't need another ball handler on that roster. They'd be better, but that just seems like a team that's going to get murdered when they aren't shooting the lights out or making Lebron into a roaming defender.

Lowry has shot over 40% from 3 for the last 4 years, and he gives them another guy to take scoring/ball-handling pressure off Wade. Also means Mario Chalmers can disappear permanently.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

EvanTH posted:

Don't be cruel to a heart that's true

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Bill Laimbeer is the best.

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

Zogo posted:

2004 Shaquille O'Neal
1998 Michael Jordan
1993 Michael Jordan
1991 Magic Johnson
1988 Adrian Dantley
1973 Wilt Chamberlain

Really? 3 people who retired, one guy who got traded during the next season and one guy who left. I'd say Jerry West was the best player on that '73 Lakers team, anyway.

e: Well, maybe not.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

Zogo posted:

Some ones that come to mind:

2004 Shaquille O'Neal
1998 Michael Jordan
1993 Michael Jordan
1991 Magic Johnson
1988 Adrian Dantley
1973 Wilt Chamberlain

I am hoping LeBron James doesn't get HIV or have a family member murdered this summer.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP

glowing-fish posted:

I am hoping LeBron James doesn't get HIV or have a family member murdered this summer.

Or gets traded for Lamar Odom.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Did we ever have a big conversation about how the Mavericks took The Espurs to 7?

I've been thinking about it a bit and these things come to mind, sorry I don't remember how to make bullet points.

The Mavericks has as many ball handlers as anyone, which complicated the Spurs' defense.
The Spurs were forced to play Splitter on Dirk which meant they couldn't use the world destroying offensive lineup with Diaw.
The Mavs staying home on shooters and not letting San Antonio use their anti trap offensive sets.

And finally the Mavs having a lot of decent role players that matched San Antonio's depth.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

WEREWAIF posted:

Did we ever have a big conversation about how the Mavericks took The Espurs to 7?

I'm fairly sure that very good Mavs team underperformed in the regular season in a very stacked West so i'm not going to call it some kind of massive upset. Carlisle's coaching and a good roster are always going to be a factor in the playoffs.

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011
If Vince Carter didn't make that game winning shot, Spurs would have won in 5.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

WEREWAIF posted:

Yea I think it was mostly handwaved as the Spurs not being ready for the playoffs or some poo poo

So It Goes posted:

If Vince Carter didn't make that game winning shot, Spurs would have won in 5.

Not if Dallas didnt piss away the lead in game 1 or if Blair didnt RandyOrton Splitter in game 5

Wait how would winning that one game give them two games? They won in 7

big boi
Jun 11, 2007

EvanTH posted:

I too despise periods

PantsFreeZone
May 31, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

big boi posted:

I too despise periods

sexist

I bet you hate the WNBA too

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

the_american_dream posted:

Yea I think it was mostly handwaved as the Spurs not being ready for the playoffs or some poo poo

Not if Dallas didnt piss away the lead in game 1 or if Blair didnt RandyOrton Splitter in game 5

Wait how would winning that one game give them two games? They won in 7

The Spurs led 3-2 through game 5 so if you change a Mavs win to a Spurs win it becomes 4-1.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

PantsFreeZone posted:

I bet you hate the WNBA too

But there are no dunks!

BIZORT
Jan 24, 2003

quote:

And [Derrick] Rose remains on schedule to participate in the Team USA minicamp at the end of July in Las Vegas, from which the World Cup team will be selected by USA Basketball Chairman Jerry Colangelo and national team coach Mike Krzyzewski. Speaking on The Game Chicago Tuesday morning, Krzyzewski said he's excited to see Rose's physical progress. "We feel that Derrick is going to be ready to go," Krzyzewski told co-hosts David Kaplan and Tribune columnist David Haugh. "But we'll see that week. Hopefully, he is. He was my starting guard (for the) world championship team in Instanbul, Turkey in 2010."

A good idea

grapesmoker
Apr 19, 2003

This moon-cheese will make me very rich... very rich indeed!
The problem with Wade isn't that he's bad overall, it's that he costs $20 million for 2/3 of a season with no guarantee that his knees won't just give out. Yeah, he had a bad series after having three good ones, but those good series were against two pretty mediocre playoff teams and a Pacers team teetering on total collapse. There's no guarantee that any player will get through the season healthy (Rose :() but when you have someone with recurring injury problems, the odds of that happening are less. And that means more minutes for James, increasing his own chances of injury.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

WEREWAIF posted:

I've been thinking about it a bit and these things come to mind, sorry I don't remember how to make bullet points.

The Mavericks has as many ball handlers as anyone, which complicated the Spurs' defense.
The Spurs were forced to play Splitter on Dirk which meant they couldn't use the world destroying offensive lineup with Diaw.
The Mavs staying home on shooters and not letting San Antonio use their anti trap offensive sets.

And finally the Mavs having a lot of decent role players that matched San Antonio's depth.

They also had the ability to create good midrange shots, which is important against the Spurs who focus so much of their defense on the paint and perimeter this season.

The Heat had Bosh, the ultimate mid range shooter in the NBA, but he actually has a pretty empty shot chart for the series. He shot excellently from the left block but either the Heat offense or the Spurs defense kept him away from there and he was pretty bad from the right block.

Whereas Dirk's shotchart looks like a Christmas tree with hits from everywhere in the midrange. And Dirk arguably didn't even have that great of a playoff series (for him).

BIZORT
Jan 24, 2003

grapesmoker posted:

The problem with Wade isn't that he's bad overall, it's that he costs $20 million for 2/3 of a season with no guarantee that his knees won't just give out. Yeah, he had a bad series after having three good ones, but those good series were against two pretty mediocre playoff teams and a Pacers team teetering on total collapse. There's no guarantee that any player will get through the season healthy (Rose :() but when you have someone with recurring injury problems, the odds of that happening are less. And that means more minutes for James, increasing his own chances of injury.

No one will really disagree with you but the Heat are way over the cap anyway so his salary is not really hindering them at this point, nor has it ever, and he's still very good. They're fine with paying more luxury tax.
If/when Wade is out with a long-term injury that keeps him out of the lineup then it'll hurt, of course, and LeBron has not shown any sort of signs of letting up either. He had that comment about his back earlier in the season but that story went away very quickly and no one has mentioned it since so I'm thinking it's a non-issue. I am of the opinion that all of these minutes will eventually catch up with LeBron, too, but for now it's not and Wade sitting out isn't killing them in the present. If Ray Allen leaves, though, then they have a real problem.

grapesmoker
Apr 19, 2003

This moon-cheese will make me very rich... very rich indeed!

BIZORT posted:

No one will really disagree with you but the Heat are way over the cap anyway so his salary is not really hindering them at this point, nor has it ever, and he's still very good. They're fine with paying more luxury tax.
If/when Wade is out with a long-term injury that keeps him out of the lineup then it'll hurt, of course, and LeBron has not shown any sort of signs of letting up either. He had that comment about his back earlier in the season but that story went away very quickly and no one has mentioned it since so I'm thinking it's a non-issue. I am of the opinion that all of these minutes will eventually catch up with LeBron, too, but for now it's not and Wade sitting out isn't killing them in the present. If Ray Allen leaves, though, then they have a real problem.

I'm confused as to how it isn't hurting them. Isn't the entire question how they're going to retool? They're losing a bunch of dudes this offseason, so their shot at next year's finals would depend heavily on who they can bring in. If they're capped out, how do they get any role players?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

grapesmoker posted:

I'm confused as to how it isn't hurting them. Isn't the entire question how they're going to retool? They're losing a bunch of dudes this offseason, so their shot at next year's finals would depend heavily on who they can bring in. If they're capped out, how do they get any role players?

Even if Wade made half as much they'd still be over the cap. It makes no difference.

BIZORT
Jan 24, 2003

grapesmoker posted:

They've been capped out since 2010 and they've brought in quality players. They have exceptions to use. They can always sign guys to the minimum regardless of their cap situation. Because they're located in Miami and because they're a contending team, they won't have issues signing guys for less money than they'd make on other teams. They won't be getting Kyle Lowry for the MLE or anything but they'll be fine.

Let's not act like they're truly rebuilding or anything. They're getting replacements for guys like Chris Andersen and Mario Chalmers. It's not a stretch to sign comparable players for the exceptions available to them and the minimum.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

grapesmoker posted:

If Wade opts out and then Miami renounces their rights to him, they would still have $7.5m to Norris Cole, Haslem and their 1st round pick. Plus $40m in cap holds for Lebron and Bosh, plus $4.5m for their 9 empty roster spots. So $52m, which would mean $11m in cap space.

You now have $11m and the $3m/year room mid-level to replace Wade's production and retool the roster, good luck.

If they don't renounce Wade they have the normal mid-level which is $5m/year and the biannual exception which is $2m/year.

So Wade doesn't really hurt them (yet)

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

WEREWAIF posted:

One conclusion we can come to is that the 2011 Mavs would have beat this year's Spurs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIZORT
Jan 24, 2003

A month or two ago it was said that Exum would only want to play for the Lakers. Now it seems he wants to play for Orlando too but only those two teams. Not sure what that's about.
Also, Orlando worked Exum out on Tuesday but I can't find anything out about how the workout went anywhere online

edit: Meant to put this in the draft thread but whatever

• Locked thread