Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Since the steam sale hasn't started yet what's the point of listing piles of games in a giant thread?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Widestancer posted:

Since the steam sale hasn't started yet what's the point of listing piles of games in a giant thread?

So you can prepare your wallet.

Also the gaben.tv song is pure magic. :allears:

e: Did a goon make it?

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

Palpek posted:

:gaben: Want to buy a bad game to your friend enemy? Why not choose something from my bad-game-write-ups™ series:

Cricket: Revolution,

Hey, Cricket Revolution can be fun if you can get the multiplayer to work. Though, the most fun you'll get is when someone is yelling at you for making them play such a lovely game and oh god why don't the controls work.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

I was hankering for some Mario Kart 8, but realized I don't own enough controllers, a Wii U, or even a TV. Instead I'm waiting for the Steam sale so that I can pick up Sonic Racing Transformed, the poor man's Mario Kart. Does anyone have any experience with the online multi-player? I've got a friend who moved away who'd like to race against me if it works alright.

Minghawk
Oct 9, 2012

pandaK posted:

Yep, adding a new card to your account locks it for a week so make sure you at least figure things out by today so you don't waste the entire sale with your wallet up your butt.

You can still buy things and use your Steam wallet, but can't buy or sell things on the market if you use a new card. Makes sense when you - no, I've never got it.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

Palpek posted:

[*]Brutal Legend - An open world action adventure rock/metal game from Double Fine. It's actually one of their best games.
It's more like an open world hack 'n slash 3rd person real time strategy game with driving and some rhythm game elements mashed together with results ranging from "passable" to "infuriatingly clunky." Brutal Legend's shortcomings are probably amplified because everything else about it is goddamn amazing.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Must buys:

* Call of Duty - Sick action games, cool story + real out of this world events

* Borderlands - Best of the memes that made you laugh on reddit, but in a game

Can link to store pages if requested.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Palpek posted:

Get hype.

Even more recommendations coming, maybe?

If I may:

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning: Imagine an MMO without the online component, and you've basically hit the nail on the head.

One Finger Death Punch: You have two buttons, hundreds of stick enemies, and ancient kung-fu action. This is one of those games that makes you wonder why you are playing it, then look up from the computer and see it's 2 in the morning.

Beat Hazard: Audiosurf meets Asteroids on steroids. Choose a track and the enemy spawns change to fit the music. Just came out with mission/new ship DLC and workshop support, so if you haven't played it yet it will be easy to pick up on the sale.

Strider: Ninja Metroidvania. There, I just sold you on this title. Looks nice and plays smooth, and hacking through armies as a ninja with a lightsaber is an awesome feeling.

Goat Simulator: You are a goat. A friendly Goat. That brings destruction. You are a goat.

Gunman Clive: Old-school platformer with a 'hand-drawn' style and simple, yet effective, gameplay mechanics.

Skullgirls: Fighting game with one of the best tutorial modes I've ever played, good balance and some great art and design. Join the Big Band!

Ittle Dew: It's not Zelda, but Ittle Dew. Fun puzzle game.

Binding of Isaac: Wait, you don't have this yet? Why not? Go, buy it. And be afraid. Very afraid.

Home: Short, atmospheric horror game. Worth dropping the small amount of money for a really big experience.

Gone Home: Come for the atmosphere, stay for the punk rock 'zines and teenage angst.

J.A.B.C. fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Jun 17, 2014

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Minghawk posted:

You can still buy things and use your Steam wallet, but can't buy or sell things on the market if you use a new card. Makes sense when you - no, I've never got it.

No, I can see it. Some of those hats are valued at an absolutely ridiculous level, and some people are already willing to scam or hack into your account for them. Using a stolen credit card to buy up a ton of crate keys or whatever is a headache that Valve wouldn't want, since while it's easy to reverse charges and kill accounts when the main store is involved, things turn into a quagmire after a few layers of trading.

Edit: Get Binding of Isaac, don't get the DLC until you've made the main game your bitch. It irrevocably overwrites the game, making things a gently caress of a lot harder. It's always cheap, anyway.

Bieeanshee fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Jun 17, 2014

funkmeister
Feb 20, 2010

About your father. If it's any help, he's in the ground now. Sure, it's bad news for him. But on the other hand, it's party time for all those little worms.

Bieeardo posted:

No, I can see it. Some of those hats are valued at an absolutely ridiculous level, and some people are already willing to scam or hack into your account for them. Using a stolen credit card to buy up a ton of crate keys or whatever is a headache that Valve wouldn't want, since while it's easy to reverse charges and kill accounts when the main store is involved, things turn into a quagmire after a few layers of trading.

Edit: Get Binding of Isaac, don't get the DLC until you've made the main game your bitch. It irrevocably overwrites the game, making things a gently caress of a lot harder. It's always cheap, anyway.

This no longer a thing, you can untick dlc in Steam now. Same goes for the 'cheat' dlc in Sleeping Dogs.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

funkmeister posted:

This no longer a thing, you can untick dlc in Steam now. Same goes for the 'cheat' dlc in Sleeping Dogs.

Holy poo poo, that's awesome. Now I can play those two again! Thanks for the correction!

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

Supplanter posted:

I was hankering for some Mario Kart 8, but realized I don't own enough controllers, a Wii U, or even a TV. Instead I'm waiting for the Steam sale so that I can pick up Sonic Racing Transformed, the poor man's Mario Kart. Does anyone have any experience with the online multi-player? I've got a friend who moved away who'd like to race against me if it works alright.

It's not the poor man's Mario Kart, it's better. :colbert:

A fun MP detail: you can play online with local players. Say you and your roommate can play in your computer, and grab a couple of internet friends as well.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
Hi Im lumpy the cook and I love steam sales!!!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
I'm way more excited to vote in steam sales than I am in real elections.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
i love steam sales i love them so freaking much!!!!!!!!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Lumpy the Cook posted:

i love steam sales i love them so freaking much!!!!!!!!

i know me too lets all love steam sales!!!!

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

yes yes, you're very cool and funny

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005
"It's only after we've lost everything that we're free do to anything"

Bieeardo posted:

Holy poo poo, that's awesome. Now I can play those two again! Thanks for the correction!

Yeah, about that: I booted up Sleeping Dogs again after buying all the DLC, because some of it is supposed to be amazing (not syaing it isn't, just haven't tried it yet), and it took forever to get past the screen after the tutorial, when the DLC is activated. I mean, even half of it would have been annoying; the prompts just kept on coming, and I suddenly had a lot of upgrades readily available before I even got properly started, and it just felt...wrong. Gonna do another start-up, but make sure to untick a lot of the DLC, including those Red Letter and High Roller ones, before playing.

vI didn't know that, but anyway, slowly progressing and being able to unlock poo poo was so awesome in that game, so I knew half the joy of playing it would be gone, so I'm definitely skipping a lot of that poo poo. Really looking forward to Nightmare DLC and Enter the Dragon DLC though.

Downs Duck fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Jun 17, 2014

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I found that the point boost cheats for Sleeping Dogs were a huge trap, since the game seems to assume that if you have everything maxed then you must know the combat system inside-out. Not me, Johnny button-masher that I am. Ow.

Dark Knight
Dec 13, 2008

Michaellaneous posted:

So you can prepare your wallet.

Also the gaben.tv song is pure magic. :allears:

e: Did a goon make it?

You mean Sail?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JaAWdljhD5o

No. (Unless AWOLNATION is a goon)

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

Widestancer posted:

How many people sincerely posting in this thread will be on fixed incomes?

I will be sincerely spending a huge amount of money but it will only be a small part of my discretionary income, hope this helps. :)

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Is quoting a huge chunk of words for no reason like the Black Panthers' fist salute or something? Are we raging against some sort of machine?

You could put Defense Grid up there. It's a Tower Defense game with solid graphics, a decent and story with a V.O. narratory guy that talks to you (it's not Portal 1/2 or The Stanley Parable, but...:shrug:), a nicely balanced economics system, and can be replayed a lot through challenges and the like.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Please be warned before buying Brothers that you cannot play as Sisters.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

GENDERWEIRD GREEDO posted:

Please be warned before buying Brothers that you cannot play as Sisters.

God dammit. My immersion will be ruined.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Heh, you two didn't unlock that mode yet? Feh, casuals. :smuggo:

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Accordion Man posted:

Heh, you two didn't unlock that mode yet? Feh, casuals. :smuggo:

Ahh, I was wondering why I couldn't unlock that One Cup achievement yet.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Hth im excited for this

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Widestancer posted:

How many people sincerely posting in this thread will be on fixed incomes?

I got my income right here

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Everyone's so freaking excited for Steam Sales!!! I know I'm excited!!

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Here's my contribution for games recs.

Aces Wild: Manic Brawling Action A really fun 2 person brawler where combat is like something out of a HK action flick and has great sound effects.

Blood Knights A stupid fun simple top down action RPG-ish game about vampires and a knightly order that fights them. The 2 characters are designed around co-op playing but in solo mode you can simply switch between them with a button press.

The Bureau XCOM Declassified: A hybrid of Mass Effect and XCOM games, much more punishing then the first. It's a great game for XCOM fans and a capable tactical third person shooter.

Deadly Premonition: It's Twin Peaks, the game. Hilariously janky and insane, definitely worth the experience if your a fan of surreal mysteries.

The Dig: The best point and click adventure game bar none, a triumph from LucasArts. It's like watching a Spielberg movie. Note: The puzzles are so insanely hard I can't recommend trying to solve them yourself. Get a guide and play through and just experience the atmosphere and story.

EvilQuest: On of the funniest RPG maker games (I think, it's so polished it might've been made by hand). It's a rpg where you play the villain who escapes from jail and sets out to murder annoying NPCs and conquer the world. Great humor, great design, great combat, all around a great experience.

Jet Set Radio: The Dreamcast classic as great as it was when it first came out. Skate all over Neo-Tokyo tagging your turf to some fantastic music.

LocoCycle: Do not buy this game at any price. No matter what, it's not worth it.

Painkiller Black/ Hell and Damnation: 2 great FPS games in the veins of classic run and gun madness. Ignore the other Painkiller games as they are mediocre to poor.

Redshirt: It's Facebook, the game. On a space station climb the social ladder to accomplish your dreams. Note, if you seduce your boss to get a promotion all other coworkers will instantly hate you

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

pandaK posted:

I got my income right here

Yup :hfive:

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Oh, Evil Quest IS meant to be ironic? Might have to pick it back up again. Everything in the intro made me think it was just being try-hard.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...
http://noplatform.wordpress.com/2014/06/16/the-2013-steam-summer-sale-for-low-end-computers/

Pretty neat set of Steam games that I haven't heard recommended before.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Sivek posted:

Cart Life is no longer available on Steam but is now open-source on the dev's site.

The devs site, is just blank now, actually

http://www.richardhofmeier.com/cartlife/

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

KoldPT posted:

It's not the poor man's Mario Kart, it's better. :colbert:

A fun MP detail: you can play online with local players. Say you and your roommate can play in your computer, and grab a couple of internet friends as well.

Yeah I own both and I think Sonic Racing Transformed is the better game.

FadedReality
Sep 5, 2007

Okurrrr?
The suggestion post lists Disciples III: Resurrection which is one of the ultra lovely versions. It should be changed to Disciples III: Reincarnation, which is the one that is pretty decent.

edit: VVVVVV Peep the post date :ssh:

FadedReality fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Jun 17, 2014

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

Palpek posted:

:gaben: Want to buy a bad game to your friend enemy? Why not choose something from my bad-game-write-ups™ series:
...Bioshock Infinite...

I know Bioshock Infinite has its flaws, and I guess it didn't live up to its hype or something, but it's definitely not anti-gift terrible. :confused:

(Besides, even on sale, you'll probably be able to buy like half a dozen copies of Bad Rats for the same price. :v: )

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Justin_Brett posted:

Oh, Evil Quest IS meant to be ironic? Might have to pick it back up again. Everything in the intro made me think it was just being try-hard.

This is a game where you can wander into a random house, find a rude NPC who you subsequently murder, head to the local bar to find your old henchman drunk as hell and tell him there's an empty house for him and to head there. When you come back he's sober and has hung your portrait in the house and praises your achievements.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

J.A.B.C. posted:

If I may:

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning: Imagine an MMO without the online component, and you've basically hit the nail on the head.

It's a ton of fun with decent combat, but I got hit with a game breaking bug where no enemies would ever attack me like twelve hours in. Game was pretty easy as is (kinda), but man that was annoying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RoGxA48HQ1g

The Inner World: Charming point and click adventure game that's animated well and has great music. I'd grab it if it hits $5 or less.

duckfarts fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Jun 17, 2014

• Locked thread