Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheHelix
Jan 16, 2011

In anticipation of the glorious sales I made a thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer

dennyk posted:

I know Bioshock Infinite has its flaws, and I guess it didn't live up to its hype or something, but it's definitely not anti-gift terrible. :confused:

(Besides, even on sale, you'll probably be able to buy like half a dozen copies of Bad Rats for the same price. :v: )

Look at the date!

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

pentyne posted:

This is a game where you can wander into a random house, find a rude NPC who you subsequently murder, head to the local bar to find your old henchman drunk as hell and tell him there's an empty house for him and to head there. When you come back he's sober and has hung your portrait in the house and praises your achievements.

That's a definite pick-back-up, then.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
poo poo poo poo i wasnt expecting this for another month oh god what do i do aaaaa :derp:

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
Not to be :goonsay: but wouldn't a game already at 75% off be considered alright to buy whenever? Because I've never seen anything at that get discounted even further.

But then again I guess stuff like that would be hidden gems and no one would actually give a gently caress and post about.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Sober posted:

Not to be :goonsay: but wouldn't a game already at 75% off be considered alright to buy whenever? Because I've never seen anything at that get discounted even further.

But then again I guess stuff like that would be hidden gems and no one would actually give a gently caress and post about.

Look at the current weeklong deals.

EDIT: Also if last year is anything to go by, stuff that's normally 75% will be frequently discounted at 90% for the community vote. Highest percentage off always wins regardless of what game it is.

The Joe Man fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Jun 17, 2014

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Sober posted:

If it's under $5 sure, but stuff has hit 90% off before, and there's also ~pricing errors~ occasionally when the deals change out.

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.
I just looked at my wishlist and realized that I really don't have any games that I want to get. Aside from the Mark of the Ninja DLC (50% off) and Dark Souls 2 (33-50% off), the only things I'm really looking forward to are MAYBE getting Super Meat Boy and/or Heroes of Might & Magic V, assuming either go down to below $4.

I can't tell if this means I am happy with what I have or if I am about to be blindsided with greed as soon as the daily deals start catching my eye. :smith:

TheHelix posted:

In anticipation of the glorious sales I made a thing.

I like this. Just sayin.

e:

Sober posted:

Just Cause 1 went on sale for something like 90% off, so I gifted it to some people for under 50 cents a pop. Not the best game out there, but those sorts of deals will drop on non-obscure games on occassion.

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.
Thread title needed to be changed to: Posts about non-existent discounts 5 seconds after daily change get you murdered in tribute to Slenderman.

A few more things that might be worth mentioning in the vain hope that it might stop some of the whiny posts if people are prepared for them in advance (who am I kidding):

Games with loyalty discounts quite likely will lose that discount when they get a sale discount. You’ll probably find that 75% off of your normally $5 version of Deus Ex HR: Director’s Cut leaves it at $5 as it resets to its normal price when it gets a sale and the discount is applied.

It’s an ever increasing trend that DLC for a game won’t get discounted when the base game does. It’s happening more often and everyone hates it but there isn’t anything that can be done with a stream of posts bitching about it.

People will vote for whatever game ends up as the cheapest after discount for EACH AND EVERY Community Vote, even if it’s the shittiest game ever because people are stupid. 99% off of McPixel will trump 25% off of Watch_Dogs because FIVE CENT GAME!!! Prepare your disappointment in advance.

Also worth mentioning is that whenever an Ubisoft game is price matched from somewhere else that other place most likely won’t be selling a Steam key, it will be a UPlay key. Amazon is the rare exception to this rule but you need to make sure that it’s the Steam version that you’re buying from them as they will sell both.

Charlie Brown
Oct 4, 2000

Infiltrates Your Skull
For anyone looking to save a bit more (in the UK, at least), Currys/PC World are running a 2 x £20 for £30 deal.
Info here

FadedReality
Sep 5, 2007

Okurrrr?
I'm hoping to see X3: Albion Prelude drop to 75% off for the first time in two years. Other than that I'm going to be getting Clash of Heroes and if I still have any money left by the time it goes on sale, Shadowrun Returns.

Zoolooman
Mar 30, 2003

Widestancer posted:

Since the steam sale hasn't started yet what's the point of listing piles of games in a giant thread?

We've used up all this precious space on the internet. I know. But it's too late to take it back. :3:

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Zoolooman posted:

We've used up all this precious space on the internet. I know. But it's too late to take it back. :3:

:negative:

We shall have to make do

At least its not origin.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Rarity posted:

There is a severe lack of Gunpoint in your list :colbert:

Also Saints Row IV.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I'm updating the recommendations post using suggestions but just so you people know I won't be adding the games that you recommend unless you linked the game on Steam in your post. If you can't be bothered to look up a link that will make the list actually usable then so can't I.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Also no matter how much somebody praises them I won't be adding any RPG maker games.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Palpek posted:

Also no matter how much somebody praises them I won't be adding any RPG maker games.
What about RPG Maker VX Ace?

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

I can make an exception for that. Encouraging goon anime jrpg creativity is one of this forum's responsibilities.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Palpek posted:

You've already put up To The Moon :ssh:

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
Some more cheap games:

Everyday Genius: Square Logic: Do you like sudoku but wish it didn't suck? Square Logic is a badass logic puzzle game(also called "kenken" puzzles I think) that will put hair on your chest, including guys. It offers good difficulty ramping, optional assistance tools, and way more puzzles than you will ever be able to solve without poopsocking. It's also a pretty chill game besides. If you like logic puzzles, you will :gizz:. Based on past sales, this is likely to hit $1.25 or less.

Obulis: A super chill semi-physics puzzle game where you cut strings to try and get colored marbles into their matching vase(not like Cut the Rope at all though). Excellent and probably going to go under a dollar. It's also in an indie bundle pack, but the other games in that pack are just ok.

Palpek posted:

You already did, suckaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
e: ^^^ :argh:

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Zoolooman posted:

No we haven't, the OP hasn't got a self-contained table of contents yet.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
Can I put down a recommendation for Ittle Dew and Card City Nights.

Ittle Dew is very much a parody of early Legend of Zelda games with plenty of puzzling and fun boss battles. It's only takes about 4-5 hours to complete so it doesn't overstay it's welcome.
Ittle Dew

Card City Nights appears to be a simple match TCG game, yet its mechanics can get intricate and challenging enough that you'll find yourself changing your deck around to deal with new threats. It also has a great soundtrack.
Card City Nights

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Cheap game recommendation:

:darksouls: Dark Souls :darksouls:
There are two things you need to know about Dark Souls: It’s not as hard as it’s reputation, it just punishes mistakes a lot. And It isn’t perfect unlike what some people may tell you.
What it does do is offer you one of the most unique kind of RPG’s available on the PC with deep and satisfying combat mechanics, real weight and heft to combat, and a world that is (almost) perectly handcrafted and coherent. Give it 1-2 hours of your time, don’t go towards the skeletons at the start, and strike when an enemy is wide open.
For the expected price between $/€5,- and $/€7.50 it is worth your time to at least try this out. Be sure to get DSfix, its pretty much mandatory for a good experience!

The sequel is great as well but for the massive price difference and admittedly better first time experience you can't go wrong with picking up :darksouls: this sale.

Zedd fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Jun 17, 2014

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005
"It's only after we've lost everything that we're free do to anything"

Zedd posted:

It’s not as hard as it’s reputation, it just punishes mistakes a lot.

Agreed. I'm usually not great at competitive games and believe I like to play more casually than most. If I managed to beat Dark Souls, everyone can.

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008
I really hope the RockSmith franchise goes on sale.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Zedd posted:

Cheap game recommendation:

There are two things you need to know about Dark Souls: It’s not as hard as it’s reputation, it just punishes mistakes a lot. And It isn’t perfect unlike what some people may tell you.
What it does do is offer you one of the most unique kind of RPG’s available on the PC with deep and satisfying combat mechanics, real weight and heft to combat, and a world that is (almost) perectly handcrafted and coherent. Give it 1-2 hours of your time, don’t go towards the skeletons at the start, and strike when an enemy is wide open.
For the expected price between $/€5,- and $/€7.50 it is worth your time to at least try this out

The sequel is great as well but for the massive price difference and admittedly better first time experience you can't go wrong with picking up :darksouls: this sale.

And get dsfix: a free download that will triple or quadruple how pretty and responsive the game is.

Edit:
Saints Row IV. A brilliant and hilarious take on the GTA format that is also the best superhero game ever made. It starts with you disarming a nuclear missile in flight and heads up from there.

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Jun 17, 2014

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

PadreScout posted:

I really hope the RockSmith franchise goes on sale.

You mean the DLC, and hopefully the newer stuff at that.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

sebmojo posted:

And get dsfix: a free download that will triple or quadruple how pretty and responsive the game is.
Oh yes this, going to edit my post now. DSfix is mandatory petty much.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Transistor is indie studio Supergiant Games' second game, their first being Bastion. I wouldn't say it is as great as Bastion, but it's really up there and has a great soundtrack.

Forseeable Fuchsia
Dec 28, 2011

sebmojo posted:

Saints Row IV. A brilliant and hilarious take on the GTA format that is also the best superhero game ever made. It starts with you disarming a nuclear missile in flight and heads up from there.

Definitely gotta second this. If you buy one game during the sale, it should probably be this. I binged through this the past few days, and it's been one hell of a ride.

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008

duckfarts posted:

You mean the DLC, and hopefully the newer stuff at that.

Whole franchise. I had it on the sexbox, but sold that back a few months ago. I've been feinding for RockSmith action ever since, so I have to rebuy everything.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

Hopefully it gets more than the "generous" 33% off it got last year :(

Erika
Feb 6, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Geemer posted:

Transistor is indie studio Supergiant Games' second game, their first being Bastion. I wouldn't say it is as great as Bastion, but it's really up there and has a great soundtrack.
I'd say that Transistor's combat mechanic is a significant improvement, in terms of complexity and dynamic, over Bastion's simple and repetitive, dodge and hit combat.

If you prefer gameplay over atmosphere, music or other artsy poo poo, defnitely get Transistor. I found Transistor's soundtrack to be better anyway.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Mock and Droll posted:

Definitely gotta second this. If you buy one game during the sale, it should probably be this. I binged through this the past few days, and it's been one hell of a ride.

I listened to goons when they said I should buy Saints Row 3. Worst mistake of my life, apart from all the significant ones.

Ronnie
May 13, 2009

Just in case.
£50 Gaben, that's all you are getting this summer, I don't care if my wishlist is still full I'm not falling for your siren song again.... Oh who am I kidding, let me lube up my wallet.

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005
Countdown until someone gifts Lizard Wizard with this: http://store.steampowered.com/app/280040/

It looks pretty cute, though. I might pick it up. :3:

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

Maybe they'll do a slight discount to the preorder of GTA5 as a daily kind of like during the Winter sale they did with MGR: Revengeance.

Forseeable Fuchsia
Dec 28, 2011

Jedit posted:

I listened to goons when they said I should buy Saints Row 3. Worst mistake of my life, apart from all the significant ones.

I wasn't a massive fan of 3. I've yet to finish it, despite owning it for a while. 4 fixed so much that I didn't like about 3. If you were a fan of Saints Row or open world games in general before Saints 3, give 4 a shot.

I picked it up for a tenner on the Humble Store, so it's got to come down pretty cheap if it's on sale.

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.

Fat Care-Bear posted:

I'd say that Transistor's combat mechanic is a significant improvement, in terms of complexity and dynamic, over Bastion's simple and repetitive, dodge and hit combat.

If you prefer gameplay over atmosphere, music or other artsy poo poo, defnitely get Transistor. I found Transistor's soundtrack to be better anyway.

Transistor's combat is significantly worse than Bastion's. Undodgeable attacks force you into turn based mode where you just spam your most overpowered combo a few times and win. Bastion is the better game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

I actually really liked Saints Row 3 and pretty much 100%'d it. Then the DLC came out and it was more of the same and really short. Then I bought SR4 in a Humble Bundle and at first it was fun to have super powers, but I was still in Steelport and never finished it.

• Locked thread