Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

Munsun posted:

:smith::respek::smith:

Keep the dream alive...

Those hours are better than all of the other BOF games distilled.

I actually blind raced that game against a friend, have been meaning to go back and soak up some more grim underground rpg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Rookersh posted:

Dead Rising 3 ends the plot pretty well I'd say. No real need for a DR4 after it, or really no real way to make one.

They kinda went out of their way to populate the series's timeline with prequel bait. Set it in the ten years between DR2 and DR3, tell the story of one of the post-Williamette outbreaks, or go whole hog and set it in the Vegas outbreak you're escaping in DR: Case Zero.

Doggboat posted:

Remember when gaming journalists claimed Capcom was broke, because they have $152million in the bank and everybody freaked out?
Fact checking(or even googling) and talking about Capcom are 2 opposite things.

I wish it was just "gaming journalists." Every sad sack of poo poo with an axe to grind has been predicting Capcom's imminent demise for the last two years, regardless of what's actually happening, because they want to believe that RE6 or USF4 or the Mega Man cancellations were the company's death knell. People need to remember that RE6, for as unpopular as it is and for all the poo poo people talk about it, has still shipped close to six million physical copies.

Capcom could certainly be healthier, but this is simple business. Mentioning it in the same breath as THQ's fire sale is ridiculously premature.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Wanderer posted:

They kinda went out of their way to populate the series's timeline with prequel bait. Set it in the ten years between DR2 and DR3, tell the story of one of the post-Williamette outbreaks, or go whole hog and set it in the Vegas outbreak you're escaping in DR: Case Zero.

I wish it was just "gaming journalists." Every sad sack of poo poo with an axe to grind has been predicting Capcom's imminent demise for the last two years, regardless of what's actually happening, because they want to believe that RE6 or USF4 or the Mega Man cancellations were the company's death knell. People need to remember that RE6, for as unpopular as it is and for all the poo poo people talk about it, has still shipped close to six million physical copies.

Capcom could certainly be healthier, but this is simple business. Mentioning it in the same breath as THQ's fire sale is ridiculously premature.

Capcom got stuck in the same trap as a lot of other Japanese developers, in that they went from making a large number of smaller titles to putting all their eggs in a few super-expensive AAA titles and faltered when their games failed to get some of that Call of Duty money that they just figured was there for them to take. (Remember when Dragon's Dogma was supposed to sell ten million copies worldwide? Remember when Resident Evil 6 became, like, the third best-selling game in company history and still fell way short of what Capcom said it needed to sell? Remember Lost Planet 3 being a huge deal for Capcom just to pretty much crater instantly sales-wise?)

Capcom's just managed to do a lot better then most when

a) They've still managed to put out some smaller titles like their fighting games that have done well for themselves and keep the blood flowing

and

b) Capcom has been milking it's back catalog early and often to good success and still has a lot more to work with.

There are some definite problems at Capcom. You can't keep saying 'well, we didn't make our absurd goal' as many time in a row as Capcom did and not feel like that even if you're probably the sixth or seventh biggest game publisher in the world that you're sinking rapidly (and apparently they were) and their game quality is pretty scattershot once you leave fighting games and Monster Hunter and has been since last generation- the Capcom logo has stopped being a sign that you're probably getting a pretty awesome game like it had been before the PS3/X360 era.

They're in a bad spot but they can probably recover with just some scaling back on the 'stupid huge' games front and some smart management and business sense.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I would strangle my mother for a third Star Gladiator game. Namco please merge with Capcom and make my dreams come true.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Beef Waifu posted:

Uh that sounds like a solid cast to me, I dunno about you.

There's no chun-li.

Doggboat
Oct 17, 2012

Mr. Locke posted:

There are some definite problems at Capcom. You can't keep saying 'well, we didn't make our absurd goal' as many time in a row as Capcom did and not feel like that even if you're probably the sixth or seventh biggest game publisher in the world that you're sinking rapidly (and apparently they were) and their game quality is pretty scattershot once you leave fighting games and Monster Hunter and has been since last generation- the Capcom logo has stopped being a sign that you're probably getting a pretty awesome game like it had been before the PS3/X360 era.

They're in a bad spot but they can probably recover with just some scaling back on the 'stupid huge' games front and some smart management and business sense.
Yeah, they know that tho. Especially the quality of outsourced titles was subpar and RE6 seemed to be a development clusterfuck with way too many people involved. The restructuring is supposed to fix those problems: it's supposed to bring the team sizes down, while boosting their efficiency, so they get more capacities(less need to outsource and less dormant IPs) and a more frequent output. As more titles are inhouse they expect the quality to rise too.

It's supposed to do all that stuff. Will it actually help or meet those goals? Who knows. Maybe we get a better Capcom out of it, maybe a worse Capcom.
That's the big problem when talking about Capcom right now: we have no idea what's going on. The only inhouse stuff we have seen for more than a year are 3DS games. After the huge MML3 outrage they are hesitant to announce anything prematurely. Deep Down and a new engine are the only teasers we got.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all

Vermain posted:

Attention to whoever buys Capcom: please make another Dragon Quarter. Thank you.

Dragon Quarter was the worst of the BoF games. It was an okay roguelike kind of game but wasn't a good BoF game at all.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Zain posted:

Dragon Quarter was the worst of the BoF games. It was an okay roguelike kind of game but wasn't a good BoF game at all.

There is no such thing as a good BoF game. There was IV, which was decent, and three pieces of software in which you suffered alongside a motley group of characters trapped in a fantasy Hell where they had to do ten hours of errands for every five minutes of actual progress.

Dragon Quarter was a release compared to that.

Mingus Dew
Dec 30, 2013

Finally, a good reason to punch a teenager in the face!

Zain posted:

It was mediocre at best, but I at least applauded their attempts to add some kind of replayability to the game with the "dragon percentage" system or whatever the hell it was called.

Calihan
Jan 6, 2008
Capcom is in trouble? Wow. It's almost like pissing all over the franchises people came to know and love over the last twenty or so years WAS NOT a sound, tactical move. Who would of guessed, huh?

Seriously though, it will be interesting to see what comes from this. I personally wonder though how much of the creative talent that made the company what it was is even still around and how many jumped ship during the past five years of "gently caress BoF, Megaman, Devil May Cry, Resident Evil and if you guys have time, Street Fighter or whatever else as well."

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Calihan posted:

Capcom is in trouble? Wow. It's almost like pissing all over the franchises people came to know and love over the last twenty or so years WAS NOT a sound, tactical move. Who would of guessed, huh?

Seriously though, it will be interesting to see what comes from this. I personally wonder though how much of the creative talent that made the company what it was is even still around and how many jumped ship during the past five years of "gently caress BoF, Megaman, Devil May Cry, Resident Evil and if you guys have time, Street Fighter or whatever else as well."

Actually, they're not in financial trouble. They made decent money in their last fiscal year! (Which ended a few months ago). Resident Evil for example sells extremely well even if you don't like it! And Megaman not really getting any games recently hasn't made a huge difference because Megaman is quite far from their best selling franchises by a fair margin!

Plus:

quote:

Despite of non-approval of Renewal of Takeover Defense at the 35th Ordinary General Meeting of Shareholders, Capcom will continue to focus on further preserving and enhancing corporate value and common interests of its shareholders. If there is any large-scale purchaser of Capcom stock, we will react to make necessary measures within the admissible limits of applicable laws and regulations. In addition, we will react to take steps to ensure disclosure of the position of the board of directors and other information and that there is sufficient time for shareholders to examine the proposed large-scale purchase and reach a decision.

This just means that someone could buy 51% of their stock if the shareholders approve it, instead of automatically denying such a purchase.

Srice fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Jun 18, 2014

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Calihan posted:

This is exactly the kind of online-commentary hyperbole that's worse than useless, because it's not based on anything accurate.

Mr. Locke posted:

and their game quality is pretty scattershot once you leave fighting games and Monster Hunter and has been since last generation- the Capcom logo has stopped being a sign that you're probably getting a pretty awesome game like it had been before the PS3/X360 era.

That's the rose-colored glasses talking. Capcom has benefited from providing some titles that are hallmarks of people's lives and/or childhoods, but their catalog has always included just as many misses and misfires as hits. Off the top of my head, you've got Final Fight: Revenge, Crimson Tears, Final Fight: Streetwise (the staggeringly ill-advised gritty reboot of Final Fight), Resident Evil: Survivor, and Dino Crisis 3.

It's an arcade developer at heart and they adapted reasonably well to consoles, but as budgets have gone up, their willingness to experiment's gone down, as one might expect.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011

Oxxidation posted:

There is no such thing as a good BoF game. There was IV, which was decent, and three pieces of software in which you suffered alongside a motley group of characters trapped in a fantasy Hell where they had to do ten hours of errands for every five minutes of actual progress.

Dragon Quarter was a release compared to that.

lmao a man who like 4 better than 3. Deep shame

But in all seriousness Capcom will probably not be bought out, and there will never be another BOF no matter which one you liked better or whatever. Peace.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

Zain posted:

Go play with your anime figurines.

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

lmao a man who like 4 better than 3. Deep shame

But in all seriousness Capcom will probably not be bought out, and there will never be another BOF no matter which one you liked better or whatever. Peace.

They've already announced a new breath of fire. For Mobile. In Japan only.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Gibbo posted:

They've already announced a new breath of fire. For Mobile. In Japan only.
I can see why it's not coming out in the west:

"Come play with me Dragon Lord" :bigtran:

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

Golden Goat posted:

I can see why it's not coming out in the west:

"Come play with me Dragon Lord" :bigtran:

Dear god. It's already happened.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all

Mingus Dew posted:

It was mediocre at best, but I at least applauded their attempts to add some kind of replayability to the game with the "dragon percentage" system or whatever the hell it was called.

The D-Gauge was a timer and punished you for actively doing what 4 other games in the series encouraged you to do, and that was be a loving dragon.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Zain posted:

The D-Gauge was a timer and punished you for actively doing what 4 other games in the series encouraged you to do, and that was be a loving dragon.

It's actually really cool because the gameplay reflects the story. You have the power to instantly make any fight trivial, but it comes at a cost!

JesusLovesRonwell
Aug 12, 2004

I want to touch my Rosalina-sama all over~

<3<3<3

Wanderer posted:

As budgets have gone up, their willingness to experiment's gone down, as one might expect.

Can you blame them? There's absolutely no point in pouring tens of millions of dollars into a project that can't generate a reasonable ROI. Moreover, a number of their recent "experiments" have failed to do just that, for whatever reason (unpolished product, poor marketing, whatever). I'm thinking of games like the new Bionic Commando, Dark Void, Remember Me, etc.

But let's be honest. With certain of their products, Capcom has been their own worst enemy, and have made a number of boneheaded decisions that pissed off fandoms, and handicapped products, long before release. Like the new DMC. I haven't played it so I don't know if it's good or bad, and while I don't personally mind the look of the reboot at all, changing an iconic character like Dante so drastically was only asking for trouble.

Street Fighter X Tekken is another great example. That game should have sold 2 million copies easily. SF and Tekken are literally the two biggest fighting game franchises around. But Capcom decided to piss off and almost totally ignore probably the most fickle and (paradoxically) resistant to change, and nitpicky fandom in all of games, the fgc, with the microtransaction Gems bs. Gems alienate the fans, the on disk dlc alienates casuals, and voila, you now have a perfect recipe for disaster. (BTW, I am sympathetic to on disk dlc for a number of reasons, but mostly because I don't want to download 13 gig game updates.) Anyway, SFxT is like a textbook case of how to gently caress up what should have been a guaranteed success, and virtual money printing machine.

I don't think Capcom is doomed, but they've certainly got their work cutout for them as far as rehabilitating their image. A strong, quality fps ip wouldn't hurt.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

JesusLovesRonwell posted:

I don't think Capcom is doomed, but they've certainly got their work cutout for them as far as rehabilitating their image. A strong, quality fps ip wouldn't hurt.

Their "image" isn't anything close to a real problem. Again, look to the example of Resident Evil 6: a polarizing game with a substantial number of vocal detractors, many of whom have influence and an audience, and it has still moved six million copies. It wasn't the success they'd hoped for, but it remains a success.

Capcom's CEO could conduct an entire live press conference while methodically fisting newborn kittens and Capcom's audience wouldn't care as long as he ended the speech by announcing a new Monster Hunter. Their "image" is a phantom concern, raised by people who have a skewed understanding of how the video game industry works.

You may pay attention to forums, websites, and Twitter accounts where people do nothing but throw venom at Capcom for DLC and other seemingly anti-consumer decisions, and so, it seems as if you inhabit a universe where such things are very important and a major part of whatever problems the company has. Those people are the vocal minority, however, and for every one person who inhabits that space, I would conservatively estimate that there are six to ten who simply buy what they like without further comment. This is the secret to, for example, Nintendo's survival: the silent majority trumps the vocal minority every single day of the week, and the latter are the ones who care about things like "image."

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

Wanderer posted:

Final Fight: Streetwise (the staggeringly ill-advised gritty reboot of Final Fight)

Hey hey hey. Where else are we supposed to go for our lovely rat stomping minigames?

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

I don't care what happens to capcom as long as they make another dragons dogma game.

Also not making poo poo resident evil games would be good too.

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.
Nintendo buys Capcom and adds Captain Commando to the next Smash Bros, opening the door to adding the baby piloting a mechsuit.

:japan:

JesusLovesRonwell
Aug 12, 2004

<3<3<3

Wanderer posted:

Their "image" isn't anything close to a real problem. Again, look to the example of Resident Evil 6: a polarizing game with a substantial number of vocal detractors, many of whom have influence and an audience, and it has still moved six million copies. It wasn't the success they'd hoped for, but it remains a success.

Capcom's CEO could conduct an entire live press conference while methodically fisting newborn kittens and Capcom's audience wouldn't care as long as he ended the speech by announcing a new Monster Hunter. Their "image" is a phantom concern, raised by people who have a skewed understanding of how the video game industry works.

You may pay attention to forums, websites, and Twitter accounts where people do nothing but throw venom at Capcom for DLC and other seemingly anti-consumer decisions, and so, it seems as if you inhabit a universe where such things are very important and a major part of whatever problems the company has. Those people are the vocal minority, however, and for every one person who inhabits that space, I would conservatively estimate that there are six to ten who simply buy what they like without further comment. This is the secret to, for example, Nintendo's survival: the silent majority trumps the vocal minority every single day of the week, and the latter are the ones who care about things like "image."

Hmm.

Trite, played out joke about deviantly loving something small and cute? Check.

Unnecessarily condescending/combative attitude/demeanor? Check.

Separation from reality? Check.

Congratulations! You're wrong!

It goes without saying that the majority of revenue generated from videogames comes from "casual" sales. Always has, always will. But why would you, as a publisher, make decisions that will actively alienate your core users, at the risk of poor word-of-mouth/press?

It is pretty asinine to say image doesn't matter. Often times, it's all that matters. Ever hear the expression "First impressions are everything"? Moreover, one's imagine almost always generates a set of assumptions.

Seeing "Nintendo" generates a set of assumptions. Child friendly might be one. Quality is almost certainly one. When people see "Bungie," same thing, set of assumptions, etc. What do you think people, even casuals, think when they see Capcom? Probably something like, 'I'll wait 6 months to a year because I know they're just going to release the updated version' which in reality actually translates into no sale. Speaking of the hardcore, what is the most played out joke in all of videogames? 'Hurr, I'll just wait for Super Duper Ultra Mega Street Fighter, hurr'.

It is also asinine to pretend forums, websites, Twitter, etc. have no real power. What got Microsoft to reverse all those Xbone "anti-consumerist" "features"?

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Congratulations! You're wrong!

Nah, just going off of twelve years writing about the industry in one way or another. You're interpreting my confidence in an opposing viewpoint as condescension.

If I was going to condescend to you, it would've been about that point you tried to make where you think Capcom making a new FPS would actually help them in any way.

It is pretty asinine to say image doesn't matter. Often times, it's all that matters. Ever hear the expression "First impressions are everything"? Moreover, one's imagine almost always generates a set of assumptions.

It is also asinine to pretend forums, websites, Twitter, etc. have no real power. What got Microsoft to reverse all those Xbone "anti-consumerist" "features"?

I said "doesn't matter as much as you think it does," not "has no power."

The argument concerning on-disc DLC, for example, is part of a media bubble. It's very easy to think that everyone knows about this and it makes them angry, when in fact, a high percentage of the people who are actually buying Capcom games don't know about it (not all users even bother hooking their systems up to the Internet), don't have an opinion, or aren't buying the games for themselves (kids, friends, etc.). If you get most of your games information from places like this board, neoGAF, or Penny Arcade, then this may seem like one of the concerns of the day, but it has virtually zero impact on regular consumers.

The "image" you're arguing about is Capcom's image to the hardcore fringe, and as is known about all nerd media, these people cannot be pleased. This is part of the reason why Capcom has hired people like Seth Killian and Peter Rosas; they're useful links to the fan community who can be employed as makeshift filters, sifting through the ocean of useless nonsense and coming up with actual meaningful feedback.

Right now, Capcom could use a nice big blockbuster hit or two, since they took a bath on Remember Me and are opening a couple of new studios, but the image they have on boards such as this one is about as far removed from the actual reality of the company as you can get. When an average consumer walks into a video game store (which is more often than not the electronics aisle at a Wal-Mart), they're drawn to the name of the IP, not the name of the publisher.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Plenty of casual gamers fuckin' love the Resident Evil series, that's one thing that you can say for sure about them.

I do think there is a divide between things hardcore gamers want and things that are making Capcom money but heck, that's the case with a lot of big companies so I think it's foolish to single out Capcom for that.

Srice fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Jun 18, 2014

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Srice posted:

Plenty of casual gamers fuckin' love the Resident Evil series, that's one thing that you can say for sure about them.

Yeah. Operation Raccoon City sold two million. I know it has its fans, even here, but I don't think anyone could have predicted that it would be a success based upon the first-week reviews.

Srice posted:

I do think there is a divide between things hardcore gamers want and things that are making Capcom money but heck, that's the case with a lot of big companies so I think it's foolish to single out Capcom for that.

That's a good point. It's probably worth noting that Capcom in particular gets the short end of that stick because it's got so many franchises that mean a great deal to a widely varied number of people: Street Fighter, Mega Man, Resident Evil, Monster Hunter, you name it. They really can't do much of anything without a broad swath of their fans being a bit irritated that they weren't investing the same energy in doing something else. (Witness, for example, how much of Capcom's press coming out of E3 last week wasn't "the Dead Rising DLC is pretty fun" or "sweet, DR3 on Steam" but was instead "where the hell is Resident Evil/Street Fighter 5/Dino Crisis reboot/Deep Down?")

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
What are you guys even talking about?

RE5 had decent first day sales which grew to fantastic tail sales through word of mouth.

RE 6 had fantastic first day sales, but no tail or growth.

Or to be more blunt, RE5 went from 3 million to nearly 7 million over 2 years. RE6 went from almost 5 million to 6 million over two years.

RE6 is a terrible example to pull from because it directly counters your core point. People bought it entirely off of the strength of Capcoms core image/RE5s success, but as soon as word got out it wasn't as good, the sales dried up dramatically.

6 million is nothing to sneeze at, and marks it as a success, but it had that success entirely due to a belief that Capcom delivered quality amongst casual gamers. With that dried up, it'll take more effort on Capcoms part to get similar numbers with RE7.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Whatever happened to the Mega Man X series?

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
So if Monster Hunter is like the most popular game in Japan and a game as dumb as RE6 sold 5 million copies in the first year (?) why is Capcom bankrupt? A sea of huge budget original IP flops? Mismanagement?

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Zombies' Downfall posted:

So if Monster Hunter is like the most popular game in Japan and a game as dumb as RE6 sold 5 million copies in the first year (?) why is Capcom bankrupt? A sea of huge budget original IP flops? Mismanagement?

They're not bankrupt.

They're making money.

People are having kneejerk reactions to the idea that someone could purchase 51% of Capcom's shares (if the shareholders approve that purchase).

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

I said come in! posted:

Whatever happened to the Mega Man X series?

Same as every other Mega Man series. It got milked well beyond the point where it should have stopped, and never sold particularly well to begin with.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Megaman has only been a seller in the west. Even there it's debatable what part of it actually made money since only so many titles made or even broke a million and they are not shared between series'.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Rookersh posted:

RE6 is a terrible example to pull from because it directly counters your core point. People bought it entirely off of the strength of Capcoms core image/RE5s success, but as soon as word got out it wasn't as good, the sales dried up dramatically.

6 million is nothing to sneeze at, and marks it as a success, but it had that success entirely due to a belief that Capcom delivered quality amongst casual gamers. With that dried up, it'll take more effort on Capcoms part to get similar numbers with RE7.

Were the casual gamers drawn to it because of Capcom's name, because of Resident Evil's (particularly since it came out around the same time as the fifth live-action movie, which grossed $240 million), or because of the multimillion-dollar ad campaign? If you have an answer to that question, can you cite actual marketing data from a trustworthy source?

Of those six million shipped units, how many of them are in the hands of consumers who are genuinely happy with their purchase? How about just okay with it? How about they play it strictly for No Mercy/Mercenaries/PC modding/being way too into the idea of Chris and Piers making out/whatever, and don't care about the rest of the game?

Concerning RE5's expanded sales, how much of them are due to the PS3/Xbox Greatest Hits rerelease, RE5: Gold Edition, or the PC port?

I could go on, but you get the idea. Message board generalizations are genuinely not useful to this discussion and are part of the reason why there is so much misinformation floating around concerning this topic. My larger point still stands, that Capcom's "reputation" has only been harmed in the eyes of a statistically insignificant number of people, and acting as if its reputation is even close to a primary factor behind whatever difficulties it currently faces is to bury the lede.

(Another useful example of Internet commentators getting high on their own bullshit is the Irrational Games closure. Many people to this day think it's because Bioshock Infinite and/or the Burial at Sea DLC sucked (arguable; I disagree but respect your opinion) or didn't sell (untrue, it sold six million), because jaded rear end in a top hat Internet commentators want to believe that. It's because Ken Levine shut the place down on purpose so he could go do something else, but no, the closure is seen as proof supporting said jaded assholes' argument that B:I is the worst thing since stomach cancer.)

Zombies' Downfall posted:

They aren't bankrupt. They aren't as profitable as they'd like to be, but are still profitable.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Capcom would actually be a pretty cheap acquisition. For the same amount of money Microsoft spent on redesigning their perfectly fine controller ($100 million) and their pointless NFL deal ($400 million) they could have effectively controlled Capcom outright.

Fallorn
Apr 14, 2005
People seem to have a hard time realizing they are making money just not Gaben money.

JesusLovesRonwell
Aug 12, 2004

<3<3<3

So, when Destiny releases later this year, are people going to buy it based on a new, untested ip, or on Bungie's reputation? I can almost guarantee that "From the makers of Halo" will appear on the box.

FordCQC
Dec 23, 2007

THAT'S MAMA OYRX TO YOU GUARDIAN
It was stumbled onto while looking through SpaceBattles for stuff to post in the Weird Fanart thread.
*Pat voice* Perfect

So, when Destiny releases later this year, are people going to buy it based on a new, untested ip, or on Bungie's reputation? I can almost guarantee that "From the makers of Halo" will appear on the box.

It will be a mixture of factors. Thinking it's one specific thing (dere reputayshun!) is stupidly myopic.

JesusLovesRonwell
Aug 12, 2004

<3<3<3

FordCQC posted:

It will be a mixture of factors. Thinking it's one specific thing (dere reputayshun!) is stupidly myopic.

Of course! But arguing image is irrelevant is just as myopic!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FordCQC
Dec 23, 2007

THAT'S MAMA OYRX TO YOU GUARDIAN
It was stumbled onto while looking through SpaceBattles for stuff to post in the Weird Fanart thread.
*Pat voice* Perfect

Of course! But arguing image is irrelevant is just as myopic!

"Image," in the context you've been using it, isn't the same thing as reputation.

• Locked thread