Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
Thanks for reminding me of this glorious time-sink OP. Man, I was so bad at this and other strategy games back in the day. I've just started my first game in over a decade and already I notice a huge difference with my play style. I'm expanding aggressively to snatch up the best spots ASAP, as I can work on infrastructure and anything other than skeleton crews for base defense later.

What are the actual bonuses of the different factions? I'm playing as the Spartans because space survivalist nuts are cool.

E: nm. Somehow missed the effortpost

Pvt.Scott fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Jun 17, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

I think my favorite detail of the setting is that the settlers just call their new home "Planet."

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Speedball posted:

I can only guess this is because they all started out by calling it "This planet" or "The planet" and someone just got lazy.

It's actually a good, realistic touch in my opinion. If you trace the names of places back to their root meanings they are usually quite literal. We call our planet "Earth" which is super literal. It is a ball of rock and dirt. Earth.

http://www.kalimedia.com/Atlas_of_True_Names.html

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

inthesto posted:

I just started a game where I was Deidre and landed right next to the Monsoon Jungle. Excited at how easy it the early game would be (since forests still get +1 nutrients from the jungle), I explored it fully. One of the data pods triggered an earthquake, created a mountain, and destroyed half the drat jungle. :argh:
Planet giveth; Planet taketh away.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

So they're subs waiting for a big strong dom to step in.

Christ, is there any setting that doesn't have a GURPS sourcebook or fan conversion?

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Aren't the new reactors cheaper, too?

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Fintilgin posted:

Asteroid Centauri.

Planet as a zygote.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Map of Planet. Original factions. Never played crossfire, but I assume you'd set the game up in that for extra techs or something.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Plus there's little name tags for geographical features, which I love.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Why did the Gaians have such a hard-on for murdering the Spartans in the fiction? You'd think they'd be low on the hit list.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Sardonik posted:

In the backstory stuff the Spartans try to Space Mutiny the unity, and I think Santiago threatens Dedrite directly. Dedrite getting the last laugh is very fitting.

Well, that seems like a petty and horrible reason to secretly send mind-rape worms towards settlements full of people. Why not just assassinate Santiago or whatever? Deidre sounds like an rear end in a top hat.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

A regular mindworm just ate my commando scout rover. :negative:

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Omobono posted:

3:2 for ground psi combat, and the maximum bonus from morale is +50%. The attacker is almost always going to have the advantage on open ground. (:negative:)

Actually, worms attacking into a fungus square get a +50% boost, don't they?

I know they have some significant bonus. I like that the mindworms are terrifyingly dangerous, I was just sad to see the pluckiest little rover go. He got all those promotions from miraculously facerolling a bunch of other mindworms.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

In the end, Miriam was right, you know. We must dissent.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Some of the "we must dissent" stuff from Miriam makes sense with her still in control of her own faction if you remember that the bulk of humanity on Planet is just trying to live their lives and don't have the ideological fervor of the faction leaders. Miriam is speaking to those people, who would be everywhere on Planet. Distributing literature, essentially.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

I realize the diplomacy text is just a bunch of complicated madlibs, but it sure does add a lot to the game. Miriam wanted me to help her fight Deidre because that hippie has been seen running naked through the trees! Good stuff.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Haha, that epilogue is golden. Santiago don't need no air. Just gonna go punch Miriam, brb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Spartan Kel gasped (which sounded suspiciously like a shotgun cocking) as Sister Miriam's usually stern fingers glided delicately past her perimeter defenses, penetrating all the way to her humming power core.

E: I'm so sorry

• Locked thread