Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I'm gonna go ahead and quote tiny bug child for the AI patches.

Tiny Bug Child posted:

For those of you playing Alpha Centauri, there are some folks at alphacentauri2.info making AI improvement patches. kyrub's AI patch is a pretty big improvement: it makes the AI less terrible at terraforming, plus it teaches it basic crawler usage and makes it pick better units to build. Works fine with the GoG version, but the downside is it doesn't work with Alien Crossfire, just the base game. For SMAX, there's Yitzi's patch, which fixes a ton of small bugs, but doesn't include all of the AI improvements from the other patch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

inthesto posted:

Virtual World is a great project, don't get me wrong, but it requires Planetary Networks which is sadly not on the tech tree path to Environmental Economics. And let's face it, if you're not going straight for Tree Farms, you'd better have declared war on somebody in the first 20 turns.

Actually, speaking of research, was the game meant to be played with Blind Research on? It really does fit thematically and it's on by default, but at the same time it makes the mid-game a hell of a mess to get through (I sadly have memorized the first 3 or 4 tiers of tech to the point where I can pinpoint my techs even while blind).

But planetary networks gives you planned economy and I always always want that for the growth bonus since I focus heavily on building up my cities quickly. This compounds itself since I also want virtual world to deal with drones since I play on thinker and I get a drone at 4 pop. Honestly I don't beeline for industrial automation since it leaves me weak in other places, I want my territory to be useful and I want to be able to defend myself and my many bases from aggression.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Jose posted:

Just started playing for the first time in ages and using Supply Crawlers + boreholes a bit. Just how many should I realistically be using though?

All of them, never stop building. Ideally you won't be moving many minerals home, just energy.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Jose posted:

Ok. Its a bit annoying because I prefer to just build 40 terraformers and set them to auto instead of managing all these things but I've built maybe 15 boreholes and stuck supply crawlers on them and its noticeable because I'm building every secret project now. Did help that I started on a continent by myself though

Remember to boost your receiving cities with efficiency and economy buildings. Anything receiving energy from a borehole should have a childrens creche and an energy bank.

• Locked thread