Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Adrenalist
Jul 8, 2009

gipskrampf posted:

I would like reading Pushkin's Eugene Onegin. Any recommendations for a good English (or alternatively German) translation? People recommended me the Nabakov translation, but I'm not sure if reading a literal translation of a poem is all that fun.

Seconding the Falen. Steer clear from the Nabokov unless you're really interested in it academically; the commentary is excellent and provides an incredible amount of context and detail but the translation itself doesn't read well at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moctopus
Nov 28, 2005

I read Omon Ra and thought it was cool even though I didn't get all of it.

I read Death and the Penguin and liked that too!

I'm trying read Ice (Sorokin), but it's a struggle.

Anything else by Pelevin I should check out? Or any suggestions at this point. Anyone slogged through Ice?

I also read a bunch of those Night Watch books...

Dr Dracula
Oct 30, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Grimey Drawer
Have you considered perhaps that you are, in fact, a homosexual?

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

word?

Fallorn
Apr 14, 2005
How has no one brought up the genre of fiction I think Russia started LitRPG that combines two things that I did not think needed books but is all over amazon unlimited so people must read it. I first encountered the books by Vasily Mahanenko and was baffled to find out he was one of a few popular Russian authors who's works were being translated into English. How large and popular is the genre in Russia to be able to have made sense for them to pay for translation when the author himself does not seem to have a strong grip on the language?

bearic
Apr 14, 2004

john brown split this heart

Catfishenfuego posted:

Has anyone read Leonid Andreyev? I stumbled across The Seven Who Were Hanged by accident and loved it, found it to be a wonderful character piece. His short stories are really great too, especially the one about the man in Jerusalem on the day of Christ's crucifixion who doesn't give a poo poo because he has an awful toothache.
Sorry for 9-month reply!

I adore Andreyev -- IMO the most underrated writer (in the West) of the Silver Age. I'd recommend reading The Wall for one of his weirder stories, and The Red Laugh for something that's fascinating for early perceptions of/towards PTSD (I'm 100% convinced that Virginia Woolf's portrayal of Septimus Smith in Mrs Dalloway was influenced by this story, as Hogarth Press published Andreyev).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moctopus
Nov 28, 2005

I might have to look in to Andreyev.

I've been reading Pelevin's "Buddha's Little Finger" and that's really good.

• Locked thread